Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2007, 16:33   #1
BHPian

Finally located the Bull 500. To buy or wait for the AVL??

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT use a cut-copy-paste job from word processors as the end result (lack of formatting) is an eyesore for other members.

Hi All.

As most of You already know, the company has stopped selling the Bull 500 in India for a few months now and after weeks of calling up dealers in Sikkim, Siliguri, Kolkatta, Delhi etc. ( I live in Sikkim) and talking to the Company as well as the regional manager (North East), I just couldn't get hold of the Bull 500. Everybody advised me to either I go in for the 350 or wait for the AVL 500, which has been due for quite some time now and the Regional Manager told me that it could take another couple of months.

The thing is, after owning several Enfields in the past, the AVL engine has never appealed to me. I know that it has a faster acceleration, is higher revving and is more modern as well, but it doesn't have the classic Bullet thump, nor it's lazy touring ability.

After much searching and networking, I finally managed to locate one dealer at Chandigarh, who claims to have a stock of 10 Bull 500s ordered fresh from the company. He said it should arrive at his dealership in Chandigarh within the next 20 days.

I'm quoted Rs 89,700/- ex showroom Chandigarh and I’ll have to go all the way there, get the bike, pay about 4 grands and book it in a train and come back along with it. Plus going and coming/ staying expense, etc. etc.

Drawbacks of the Iron engined 500ES- CB points, 4 gears and only one color- Black. Plus, it has 22bhp as compared to the 25bhp of the soon to appear 500ES.

I could live with the 4 gears and the CB points, I guess. Been riding 4 gear 350s with CB points for fifteen odd years now and read somewhere that I could convert it to a CDI ignition later, if required.

What concerns me is the pulling power, acceleration and torque, as compared to the regular 350 (18bhp) and the yet-to-be- released 500AVL.(25bhp)

I've never ridden a well maintained bull 500 and don't know how much more powerful it actually feels in real world scenario, as compared to the regular Electra 350 or the AVL 350 (Thunderbird/ Machismo).

I know I’m passionate about the Traditional Bull 500 but am beginning to wonder, is it worth all this trouble??? Should I plonk my money for yet another 350 that I can get in my town itself or grit my teeth and wait (2-3 months? 1 year?? 10 years???) for the upcoming AVL 500??

In a real world scenario, Does the 500 feel that much more powerful than the 350, to justify the extra expense and the trouble I’ll be taking to acquire it?? Is the difference that noticeable? Is it worth it??
On the other hand, will the upcoming AVL 500 be that much better than this?

Should I go ahead and pay the deposit for the bike at Chandigarh? Or do I wait for the AVL?? Should I just buy the Electra 350???

Confused. Please Help.
-Puffy.

Last edited by GTO : 20th March 2007 at 10:30.
Old 20th March 2007, 11:59   #2
BHPian

Thanks for the editing. Sorry,GTO. Won't happen again. I await the member's Gyaan to my problems and cry-baby whining...
Old 20th March 2007, 12:49   #3
BHPian

you might have to pay an entry tax for sikkim along with the road tax etc.entry tax is generally a % of the value of the stuff.it varies from state to state.
Old 20th March 2007, 14:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, wait. Have seen pix of new Bull with new engine.
Old 20th March 2007, 14:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey, puff the magic dragon, why dont you wait for a couple of months, i hear the 500 is coming soon. Might be worth the wait.
Old 20th March 2007, 14:42   #6
BHPian

U mean the one sold abroad as the ElectraX? That's the AVL engined 500. Or do U mean the Tradational one- the Bull 500ES?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks