View Poll Results: Which one?
Perak 37 14.68%
Interceptor 215 85.32%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2020, 10:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jawa Perak vs Royal Enfield Interceptor

The Interceptor hands down, any day. Where else would you get a 650 twin at this price? Plus you have RE service center at almost every nook and cranny. That extra cylinder and 6th gear make a hell of a difference for highway cruising.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 10:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

I have read through all the posts so far, I am still looking forward to the justification from the 6 gentlemen who have voted for the Perak in the poll so far.

Except for the unique looks, there is nothing in the Perak that can try to redeem itself when pitted against the Interceptor. I agree its an unfair comparison, but there is simply too many issues with the Jawa, even when assessed alone.

I couldn't even see the speeds between 60 and 120 kmph while on the Jawa (not the 42) and with an even lower seat, Perak should be even worse. Also the power tapers off after 110-120 kmph and out on open roads that is a bummer.

Jawa Perak vs Royal Enfield Interceptor-jawa12.jpg
That annoying speedometer I was talking about.
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 11:13   #18
BANNED

The poll results give you the answer you are looking for - Royal Enfield Interceptor 650.

The Interceptor is a motorcycle to buy and keep for a long time. That beautiful parallel twin with ample torque available from low-end and overall neutral riding position will offend none. Only grouse I feel is the erratic fuel gauge and foot peg positioning. Out of the two I prefer the Interceptor in the looks department too.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 11:29   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilReddy View Post

Looks - I liked the looks of both the motorbikes. However Perak is definitely a head turner between the two.

Performance - Interceptor performance is the best no two ways about it and you can feel the 17 BHP advantage over Perak. However Perak performance is adequate for my requirements.

Comfort - I felt Perak was more comfortable both within the city and on highways rides compared to Interceptor. Could manage 100+ speeds with zero vibrations.

Features - Both the motorbikes comes with bare-bone features. But Preak has tubeless tyres.

I would say go for Perak. Man it does have all the looks. Interceptor looks plane jane in compared to Perak.

As per below Vlog it does have good brake bite too. It can manage respectable speeds too, tops at 135+.

Only downside would be the service and spares availability. If you don't mind that, you can go with eyes closed.

Old 17th July 2020, 12:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilReddy View Post

Features - Both the motorbikes comes with bare-bone features. But Preak has tubeless tyres.
Both the Interceptor and Perak have tubeless tyres but use tubes due to spoke wheels. So tubless tyre concept is not applicable here.
I own a Jawa 300 and I can say the bike is good enough. But the service is underwhelming. Bike has issues as with many owners. Oil leak, brake squeal, chain sprocket, timing chain etc etc. which is very disappointing. And this does not give you peace of mind and satisfied miles. Given a chance to rethink my decision of buying, I'd happily chose Interceptor over Jawa. The only reason I'll chose Jawa is for mileage when compared with Interceptor. I am getting 32 KMPL. Interceptor spares are just slightly more expensive than Jawa. But that shouldn't matter when you are getting a more reliable product.
TorqueSteer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 12:46   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Its a bit like a Gypsy \ Thar Vs Creta \ Seltos \ Ecosport argument. Nobody in their right mind would recommend the first two.

Perak therefore is for those who do not need to ask for an opinion.

Side note :
If you were the types who went all the way to Pollachi to pick up a 'heavy crank' bullet when all the newer bullets in the world were available right at your door step, you are the Perak type.

Disclaimer : I do not have either of these bikes, Perak is beautiful.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 13:34   #22
BHPian

I drove Jawa 42 from WickedRide for a day and below were my observations.

1. Pony non-responsive engine especially the low-end and with not so inspiring exhaust note.
2. That thing heats-up like crazy.
3. Weird hard seat made me un-comfortable in 20 mins Bangalore traffic.
4. I believe ergonomic is not spot on. I didn't feel home for the entire day.

I believe some or most of the Jawa 42 characteristics will still be enriched in Perak and in hence it is IC650 any day, for me.
Old 17th July 2020, 14:11   #23
BHPian

I voted for the interceptor, the weld joint in the picture (from Perak) explains the reasonJawa Perak vs Royal Enfield Interceptor-6f921c6661c342409318be965cea195f.jpeg
Rajiv0909 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 14:16   #24
BHPian

This is quite an apple to orange comparison. Still would have been a comparison if it was between Interceptor and Jawa or Jawa 42 but with Perak, it is no comparison at all. The Perak is at best a weekend only bike for someone who already owns multiple motorcycles or is a car guy for rest 5 days of the week. If you already own another bike or commute mostly by car then by all means go for the Perak. It is certainly a head turner.
But as you say you plan to use it for your regular commute, then it is the Interceptor you should be looking for. Plain and simple.
The reasons have already been elaborated by others pretty well.

Last edited by ishan12 : 17th July 2020 at 14:18.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 14:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsumoto View Post

1. Pony non-responsive engine especially the low-end and with not so inspiring exhaust note.
2. That thing heats-up like crazy.
3. Weird hard seat made me un-comfortable in 20 mins Bangalore traffic.
4. I believe ergonomic is not spot on. I didn't feel home for the entire day.
Sums it up. I own a Jawa 300 and feel the same. The 28 horses are just for name sake. Shorter gear ratios are a pain in B2B traffic and the bike doesn't reaaly have a good top end. Sweetspot for cruising comfortably is 80-90 KMPH. And by comfortably I mean only on a modified seat. The stock seat is hard as if it has no cushioning and rear end starts to pain after sometime. Heating is an issue but defienly not like the barbeque on D390s.
Old 17th July 2020, 21:30   #26
BHPian

Here are my inputs being a Jawa 42 owner.

1) Looks are subjective but Perak stands out IMO.

2) Interceptor's performance can't be compared with the Perak, its in a different league.

3) Comfort and handling: Many people have missed this point, Perak being lighter and having a lower seat height would be definitely comfortable to ride and maneuver in the city. Unless you're above 5"10 and well built, the Interceptor would be a pain in the city.

4) Reliability: Here I can say that the RE should be more reliable. My 42's lambda sensor had to be replaced twice in 3 months and also the quality of metal parts is poor and more prone to rusting. I hope they have improved the quality in Perak.

It all depends on your test ride experience, if you were more comfortable on the Perak and if you're happy with its cruising speed of 90-100 KMPH then you have an answer to your dilemma. Go for the Perak, there is no point spending the extra cash for the Interceptor if you'd be mostly using it in the city where you wont be able to extract its potential. For occational highway runs and light touring, the Perak should do just fine. Get yourself a bike which you would be comfortable, rather than getting the Interceptor and putting it up on OLX after a couple of months.
miles_hungry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 21:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me or did anyone else notice the rusting issue with the Jawa?
Even the Review bike on the video has rust spots.

Jawa Perak vs Royal Enfield Interceptor-jawa.jpg

Having said that the twins are on a league of their own. Nothing in this price range even comes close!

Last edited by BlackPearl : 17th July 2020 at 22:03. Reason: Minor typo. Thanks.
Old 17th July 2020, 21:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Is it just me or did anyone else notice the rusting issue with the Jawa?
Even the Review bike on the video has rust spots.
Looks like a bad paint job than rust.

The Perak surprisingly a very short bike, even for a reasonable tall person, the riding position may be quite uncomfortable. particularly in those long Highway rides.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 17th July 2020 at 22:03. Reason: Merged back to back posts as per forum rule. Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 22:17   #29
BHPian

Interceptor, due to
There is no replacement for displacement

Additional cylinder

Interceptor is fairly reliable and finding a service centre is easy. Perak has to prove itself

Please dont compare specs on paper - with increased load or for quick overtaking needs, that additional power and torque really matters and Interceptor is clear choice here too

Perak is a looker, but Intercepter is not bad either
Old 17th July 2020, 22:25   #30
BHPian

Stay away from any Jawa, this from one of the earliest owner of a Jawa 42. Besides the engine, nothing is right with the Jawa bikes. Very thin coat of paint, easily peels off, don't expect the Jawa people to correct. Very low ride with the double stand, hits the right leg almost turning the rider to a cripple. The power figures are in the crank not at the sprockets which leads to mediocre performance. Unsettled gearing, requires 1st gear all the time in slow moving traffic. Ill sorted brakes, front bites, rear locks up. Most importantly, form has given more prominence then function. The only thing that worked for Jawa was the media blitzkrieg headed by Mr. Anupam Thareja. Stick with the Royal Enfield Interceptor, you will be happy for a long time.
maverickrider00 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks