Perak 37 14.68%
Interceptor 215 85.32%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2020, 22:35   #31
BHPian

Re: Jawa Perak vs Royal Enfield Interceptor

Voted for Interceptor.
Its a well rounded bike and maximum bang for the money.
Most suitable for true bikers graduating from most sub 500 cc.

Unless if you want a poser for photo-shoot and like putting around town and highway at 40 to 70 kmph, I wouldn't want a Perak, whatever the name means.
Old 17th July 2020, 23:19   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUNTAINMAN View Post
I wouldn't want a Perak, whatever the name means.
Check this link - gives the details behind the name 'Perak'.

Sorry for the on this thread.
Old 18th July 2020, 00:03   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Check this link - gives the details behind the name 'Perak'.

Sorry for the on this thread.
Sorry but it still doesn't convince me to buy a bike (not that you want me to).
I'm not into buying dreams being sold in a form of a bike. A bike has got to perform!
Old 18th July 2020, 00:11   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Sorry but it still doesn't convince me to buy a bike (not that you want me to). I'm not into buying dreams of being sold in the form of a bike.
Sorry, I know that, just shared it here for the information. That's all.

Quote:
A bike has got to perform!
That's the reason Interceptor is winning here.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 00:22   #35
BHPian

With respect to Royal Enfield Interceptor when compared to Jawa Perak, the looks of Jawa Perak is much appealing and something new in this era. Although both bikes are different in features and specifications, incomparable though, if I have to chose one, my views are here.

With respect to long term usage and keeping the machine for years Royal Enfield Interceptor is preferable.
Royal Enfield Interceptor has world wide acceptance in terms of its power, cheaper options to buy when compared to 650 CC segments and offers a sweet twin exhaust rumble that you will like more when you drive it. Availability of parts on Royal Enfield Interceptor is phenomenal.

My verdict is the Jawa Perak is good to have in the Garage as a head turner and fun factor ride, but if I have to chose one, my first preference goes to Royal Enfield Interceptor which makes a great Roadster.
Old 18th July 2020, 03:11   #36
BHPian

Gonna go against the tide here. Although both brands are iconic, Jawa being just recently reintroduced has a wow factor which had died out some time ago with the Royal Enfield. Yes, the Interceptor is superior any day. It has a higher displacement, more power, dual cylinders and the convenience of a pillion seat. But then again it's more like a Heart vs Brain decision. Simply put, remember the time when people were comparing the Dominar 400 to the Bullet? Yes, the Dominar 400 was way superior as a bike, but the Bullet still sold in large numbers cause people listened to their heart which said Bullet compared to their brain that said Dominar.

The Perak just looks so good! I would probably turn my head ten times to look at it. It's the unique one on the road (all bobbers are!). Yes, they are new and will take time to get their service on par with RE, it's more like a leap of faith. Would I take it? Probably, would I regret it later? Maybe. But then again, that's what we all did when companies like Kia and Jeep came in new. They are growing by the day and are much more established than what they were yesterday, and people love them. The same will happen with Jawa. While the interceptor is the better bike, I know that even if I buy it, the Perak images will still keep coming up in my head until my heart makes it a total Contrition. Hence my vote goes to the Perak.
Attached Thumbnails
Jawa Perak vs Royal Enfield Interceptor-images.jpeg  

Last edited by Starfire : 18th July 2020 at 03:15.
Starfire is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 03:30   #37
BHPian

Vote: Interceptor

I own an Interceptor and my cousin has a Jawa standard. I have driven both of them extensively. I recently completed 7500kms on my interceptor, may be I have ridden over 1000 kms in his Jawa. Perak should be have similar DNA of her sibling. I really like the looks of Jawa.

Interceptor pros:
1. Very smooth gear shift when compared with Jawa.
2. I feel Interceptor is built to last, build quality is way ahead
3. Not much difference between the city mileage figures
4. You will find plenty of service centers
5. I feel Jawa front end to be stiffer and vibrations can be easily felt. Pirelli tires provided with Interceptor is much better.
6. Seat cushioning was much better than Jawa ( Anyway I had to change the seat on my Interceptor )
7. Interceptor has insane power for the price. During our rides, I really like to see him vanish in my rear view mirrors.
8. Ground clearance is pretty good even with pillion rider. Jawa easily scrapes with a pillion rider.
9. Easy to find and make custom accessories. Bike can be easily dismantled and many DIY repairs can be done at home with basic tool kit
10. Many safety features and parts sourced from good vendors. ( eg. tyres, paint quality, brakes )

Cons:
1. Slightly less range due to lesser mileage (32 on highways). Jawa can easily provide around 45kmpl on highways. I found mileage has reduced by 5-10 % on all my vehicles with BS6 fuel.
2. During hot weather, I feel the power delivery from the air cooled engine is somehow not that great. I have not seen such issues on Jawa due to liquid cooling. But it does throw out really hot air, where as the heat form interceptor is manageable. Pillion rider faces more heat
3. Heavier compared to Jawa. If not planned properly, it can be difficult to pull it out of parking lots. Sometimes it is difficult to find a good location to park the bike.
4. Headlight is not good. Apart from looks, the only thing I like in Jawa is the stock headlight beam
5. I think Jawa has some settings in silencer where we can change the exhaust sound but not sure.

If you are planning to ride on highways and long rides, Interceptor is the better option. It is a 650cc bike, running cost will be obviously higher.

Last edited by rahulskumar : 18th July 2020 at 03:31.
Old 18th July 2020, 14:21   #38
BHPian

I have an interceptor since over a year. There are two reasons which compelled me to choose it (and both are opposite to what the Jawa here represents):

1. Pure and classic styling true to its riding character—the interceptor neither boasts of unnecessary frills nor promises glory beyond its capabilities (something that many 'sporty' domestic bikes do). In essence it promises a character closest to Yamaha 350

2. It is sufficiently understylized so that I can enjoy using it as a daily commute without being over-conspicuous.

This is a bike for serious and mature riders and demands respect and returns that respect with a rewarding riding experience at a no-fuss, no-nonsense basis.
The Jawa is for 'wannabes' and exudes the opposite image. I don't think there is any comparison at all. Far from Apple to Orange, this is like trying to compare quality single-malt with a bottle of 8PM.
Old 18th July 2020, 16:31   #39
HTC
BANNED

Based on your requirements, though i voted for interceptor, heart says jawa. Saying this with long term ownership and riding experience on both machines, albeit older gen. I have a cast iron bullet electra & and a yezdi roadking of 90's. Its a 2 stroke vs 4 stroke thing, its a heart vs mind thing, simplicity vs complexity thing..so on.

With single cast new engines, bullets have come a long way in terms of medernizing their line up. But somewhere i feel they lost the soul of old charm cast iron engines. That feel is gone. I have ridden many new gen thunderbirds and feel was as good as riding a activa. That old school ruggedness, vibration and thump was absent.

Even when jawa and enfield were competitors, jawa was economical option and had least to none maintanance cost. Not the same with bullets even then. Even now, I can barely remember when was the last time I serviced my Roadking. Even after parked for 3 months, filling some petrol and generous amount of compression kicks and choke is what needed to bring back the bike to life. Keep it idle for 2 mins and take it for a spin and its good to take you on a long ride if needed. And it has some generous amount of power to weight ratio which makes it effortless to pickup speeds above 100. Not to mention the 2 stroke raw power.

Same is not the case with bullet. Its like a gentle giant. You have to keep tending it. During lock down, I forgot to disconnect the battery and when i tried to start, battery was dead. Had to get new battery. With its weight, anything above 80 kmph is a struggle against the elements and there is lot of stress on engine. But once engine warms up, you can cruise day long without any issuesat moderate speeds.

I guess I will stop my rant and come back to topic. The design of jawa has always been timeless. And its from czech stable. Czechs have been known to make precision macines and due to their history, had developed macines which can last long and had many unique & innovative features.

Parek design !! Mama mia .. it is to die for.
Asthetically it is soo good and proportionate except for the overall size. Could have been bit bigger.

Still if you feel more attracted towards parek, go ahaed and plonk your money in it and enjoy the ownership. It can still do your touring duties with minimal mods for luggage. When you get bored or feel the need for more powerful bike, look at other alternatives at that point of time.
Old 20th July 2020, 18:34   #40

As many have rightly pointed out, Interceptor is a much more logical choice. I own a 2020 Duke 390, and went on multiple test rides of Dominar, Interceptor and Jawa Classic before choosing the Duke.

IMHO Interceptor triumphs over Perak in all ways, maybe except the looks. Power, torque, comfort, cruising ability, traffic handling, every criteria is handled well by the RE. I was a bit skeptical about RE ASS, so avoided it.

In the "heart v/s brain" choice, I would definitely go with the brain here.

Go ahead with the Interceptor!
Old 20th July 2020, 19:15   #41
BHPian

From the post, I have a feeling that you are more inclined to perak. If that is what your mind says, do go by it because its important. If it was for me I would pick an interceptor any day over perak just for the engine and the excellent power I get on twisting the throttle, vibration free at least to an extent etc.
Old 20th July 2020, 21:53   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Because I don't live in India, I don't have access to the JAWA Perak to test ride it so I'll assume that it is a good running, fun motorcycle as many of you who have ridden it say it is.
That said, I can only go by the looks of both motorcycles to figure out which one I would rather own.

I voted for the Interceptor.

I did this because to me the Interceptor looks like a classic British motorcycle from my early days of riding. It has a distinguished appearance which has class regardless of how you look at it.

The JAWA Perak on the other hand looks like a chopper to me. A rebel. Something that is trying to make a statement against society.
That's OK. It is one of the things that motorcyclists have done for years and they will continue to do and I don't hold it against them but when all is said and done, it's not for me.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2020, 03:00   #43
psn
BHPian

I chose an Interceptor over Perak because of the following reason:
1. Jawa, is a 350cc bike as compared to 650cc of an interceptor. Enough said!!
2.Interceptor is a product developed mainly for international market and it shows in its quality.
3. Perak is a single seat bobber with absolutely no possibility of a pillion rider. Later on you may get our may not get after market provisions, but if you need a second seater why choose a bobber in the first place.
Old 21st July 2020, 04:06   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilReddy View Post

How do I see riding the bike - 60% riding within the city and 40% on Highway. How reliable are both the motorbikes. .
I have riden the Interceptor as well as Mahindra Mojo( I assume the engine on Perak is derived from this) on the highways and the performance on long journey is far higher on the Interceptor due to the larger twin cylinder which can easily munch miles all day long. In isolation, the engine on Mojo was a gem but in comparisson it feels a great deal less powerful and engaging.
Old 21st July 2020, 17:29   #45
BHPian

I think each one serves a different purpose. Int650 is more practical in your daily life whereas the Perak would be for weekend solo fun rides more than your daily requirements. Plus I would ideally wait for sometime with new launches(even from established motorcycle companies), so that the initial niggles are ironed out. Test ride both the motorcycles extensively before taking a call.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks