Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2007, 09:30   #1
BHPian

Which one should be my first bike???

Hi Everyone,

I am currently looking forward to buying my first bike.
Can you please suggest which one should I go for?
Looks are important to me. Mileage, maintainability and handling as well.

I am currently having the following options:
  • Bajaj Discover 125CC (Some doubts on its performance consistency. I like its looks, but the tyres seem to be too thin for such a nice looking bike)
  • TVS Apache (I dont like its seat and also some say it has gearbox problems)
  • HH Glamour (Some ppl say it rusts easily and also reported problems with Gears etc..)
  • Honda Unicorn (Down on looks, no alloys and a little heavy as well)
Please suggest which one should I go for among these or any other as I don't have any sure idea about the performance and maintenance issues of these bikes.
I am 23 yrs from Delhi and have just recently learnt biking.

Thanks!!
Old 23rd March 2007, 13:27   #2
BHPian

Wait for a few says man there will be some new launches 160cc Apache from TVs and some 125 cc from TVS. Improved honda Shine.

As for now you can go for Unicorn it has got some facelift and the bike is looking better than the old one.
Old 23rd March 2007, 16:38   #3
BHPian

Any bike can be your first bike, my first bike was Pulsar 180, in fact I learnt how to ride motorcycle on her. Main thing you need to focus on his how much you can spend upfront and what kind of mileage you will be happy with. Only when you have decided upon this can we suggest you something, since the bikes you listed out the apache is in totally different price/performance/mileage bracket than the rest of the motorcycles.
Old 23rd March 2007, 16:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

From the options you have listed, I would recommend: Honda Unicorn!
It has butter-smooth engine, mono-shock, Honda reliability etc...
Old 23rd March 2007, 17:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would go for the Unicorn as well. But do check out the service. Otherwise the bike is a gem.
Old 23rd March 2007, 17:13   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool.aquarian View Post
[*]Honda Unicorn (Down on looks, no alloys and a little heavy as well)[/list]
Go for the Unicorn. I agree with looks and they are subjective. They now come with alloys. It has a good stability at high speeds and feels confident around corners.
Old 23rd March 2007, 17:36   #7
BHPian

Unicorn is the most silent bike in 150cc segment. Now for some it can be a plus and for some it can be a minus.
Old 23rd March 2007, 17:51   #8
BHPian

Unicorn seems like a good option
Old 25th March 2007, 21:13   #9
BHPian

Thanks for all your responses.
I went to honda showroom today. They had the new version of unicorn. I was only able to see it. It looks much better but, man, the bike seems too big for me.
The bike has a very thick chasis and its wheelbase is sooo long.
All of you please also consider that I am not used to handling such a heavy bike at this stage as I haven't fully got used to driving bike in normal city-traffic till now. Actually right now I am not very confident that I'll be able to handle such a bike easily. Would you people still suggest me this one???
Please give me your opinions/more suitable options (bikes) which I might have overlooked.
Keep your valuable suggestions pouring in.
thanks again.
Old 26th March 2007, 11:01   #10
BANNED

Then go for Apache man. all the problems with apache is rectified now(vibrations & gear box problem). Now it has improved throttle respone than older version(version before Nov 2006). It is very easy to handle, stable and most flickable 150cc machine. It handles like a dream. U will not feel tiered after long rides/heavy traffic rides. It has got great engine response also.
Old 26th March 2007, 11:02   #11
BHPian

Hello,

The Unicorn looks little bigger but when it comes to handling it is the best. If you are average height also you can go for Unicorn there is no substitute. If you are again feeling hesitation go for Apache(you can wait for the new model also it will be launched by April 2007 It looks much better than the present one - with clip on handles, Vibrations are less, More powerful, good seating etc).

If you again want some bike with good performance in 125cc then go for Gladiator 125cc. Don' t look in any other Bikes (Even Zeus is good when it comes for performance and Engine)

But again i suggest you Unicorn if you are some where around 5.5 feet also. Go for the test drive. You yourself can understand why everybody suggested you Unicorn (just seeing itself you cannot understand).

If you are again feeling discomfort then go for Gladiator.
you can consider Apache also as i am having Apache itself. Its good bike for Cities.
Old 26th March 2007, 11:12   #12
BANNED

If u r looking for future modifications Apache is the best. It has got best boring capacity in its segment. Maximum boring capacity of apache is 250cc+. U can anytime modified apache in to a 250cc moster. Even the maximum boring capacity of karizma is less than that. It is around 230cc+.
Old 26th March 2007, 13:28   #13
BHPian

If you are considering buying the bike immediately, new Unicorn is a better option but I would prefer CBZ Xtreme with the same engine tuned more for power and also for its style (except for the front fairing). Dont know how you missed out on CBZ though. If you are willing to wait, upcoming Apache 160 is holding too much promise. As someone here said before, any bike can be your first bike and mine was Karizma. Weight of the bike would only be a problem when parking the bike (or pushing which is not recommended to be done anyways ) and while riding, if more is the weight, more would be the stability. Personally I am not too keen on 125CC bikes but if mileage is the sole consideration, go for them.
Old 26th March 2007, 14:04   #14
Team-BHP Support

@Cool.Aquarian : As the others suggested, the Unicorn should take the vote here. Its an extremely refined bike, and with the new alloys and all, should be a good buy.

As far as learning to ride and balance a bike is concerned.... i learnt to ride a bike on my Classic Pulsar 150, which was my first bike, and weighing in at 130 kgs then, i was able to manage. Its only a matter of getting to talk with your bike..... once the communication is established, all's well.
Old 26th March 2007, 15:44   #15
BHPian

New unicorn dont think twice

Most Viewed