Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2020, 18:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Studds sets up Asia's biggest helmet factory in Haryana

Studds Accessories Ltd. has set up what is claimed to be Asia's biggest helmet manufacturing facility at Faridabad, Haryana.

Studds sets up Asia's biggest helmet factory in Haryana-image-2.jpg

The company has invested Rs. 160 crore in the new factory which is spread over 5.5 acres. Helmets from the Shifter and Thunder series will be manufactured here. The factory will also produce bicycle helmets for the domestic market.

Studds sets up Asia's biggest helmet factory in Haryana-image-3.jpg

A second manufacturing unit, spread across 1.5 acres has also begun operations. This facility was set up with an investment of Rs. 40 crore. It has an in-house Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) production line. EPS is a crushable foam used in a helmet. It is said to be the most important safety component in a helmet.

Studds sets up Asia's biggest helmet factory in Haryana-image-1-new-plant-studds-accessories-ltd.jpg

Both factories are highly automated and have moulding, visor coating, paint shops, packaging and warehousing units. They have a combined annual production capacity of 7.5 million units of motorcycle helmets and 1.5 million units of bicycle helmets. These facilities will generate employment for more than 1,500 people.

With the inauguration of the new factories, Studds has doubled its production capacity from 7 million units to 14 million units. The company currently exports helmets to more than 40 countries.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 10:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Studds sets up Asia's biggest helmet factory in Haryana

Can vouch for the "STUDDS SHIFTER" helmet.

Its definitely one of the Safest ISI Branded Helemts in India. It saved me once from a really bad crash.
payeng is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 18:28   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I would give my thumbs-up for a Studds helmet. Mine is 22 years old and is still going strong. Never had a mishap or fall ever wearing this helmet (touchwood). The helmet's inner lining though was a bit tattered, where I have taken some DIY corrective measures to give it an interior facelift.

Studds sets up Asia's biggest helmet factory in Haryana-img_20181021_132632794.jpg

22 and still alive and kicking !

The biggest factory of Studds presumably would supply helmets on a massive scale to our Indian markets and perhaps export a part of their production. Hopefully, the end users will save their lives by wearing a good ISI marked helmet.

The only rider is that the government needs to impose severe restrictions and ban the sale of non ISI helmets from the markets, in conformity with the Indian Motor Vehicles Act 1988. As per section 129 of Motor Vehicle Act 1988, a two-wheeler driver's helmet should be bearing ISI mark. That is, if a two-wheeler rider is wearing a helmet without ISI mark or fake ISI mark of poor quality, then he will have to pay a fine. Implementation of this clause in Section 129 is quite poor and of course there are corrupt traffic policemen too.

The irony is that these millions of members of the "non-ISI helmet fan club, India " spend Rs 80,000 to Rs 100,000 or more to buy a basic two wheeler but go for "tremendous" cost savings when it comes to purchasing a good and viable helmet.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 11th August 2020 at 18:32.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 20:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I would give my thumbs-up for a Studds helmet. Mine is 22 years old and is still going strong.
Sir, no offence but please change your helmet. Even though it seems intact, technology has changed a lot in last 22 years. You can get a much better (read: safer) piece today at decent cost. I understand your appreciation for the longevity of the helmet, but shell integrity of 22 year old helmet will be questionable.

Quote:
The only rider is that the government needs to impose severe restrictions and ban the sale of non ISI helmets from the markets, in conformity with the Indian Motor Vehicles Act 1988. As per section 129 of Motor Vehicle Act 1988, a two-wheeler driver's helmet should be bearing ISI mark. That is, if a two-wheeler rider is wearing a helmet without ISI mark or fake ISI mark of poor quality, then he will have to pay a fine.
While government should ban non-ISI helmets, that rule should be implemented keeping in consideration the imported helmets which are not ISI marked. There was already a lot of debate when this idiotic half baked law was put in force by cops earlier. Related thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ride-...ned-india.html (Non-ISI Helmets banned in India)
ast.ggn is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 23:19   #5
BHPian

Can someone more knowledgeable than myself please explain what kind of testing Studds does? How do their standards compare with that of DOT / SNELL / CE / international brands? I understand that they're ISI approved but what does that even mean? Has there ever been a neutral third-party scientific testing of their helmets?

I guess what I'm really trying to get at is: as a skeptic, what guarantee is there that Studds helmets actually work?

So many people in our country buy helmets primarily to protect them from getting a chalaan / ticket, but are unconcerned with actual head protection.

As a side note, I also find the whole "banning of non-ISI helmets" nonsense to be very suspicious, almost like it was a move by a corrupt govt working in cahoots with Indian helmet manufacturers like Vega / Studds / Steelbird / etc to kick out the competition from international brands. I fully admit that I have zero proof of that, but I mean there's no other reason to do it that makes any sense to me. Or maybe I'm too paranoid / cranky.

Anyways, happy Independence Day everyone.
Old 17th August 2020, 12:28   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would give my thumbs-up for a Studds helmet. Mine is 22 years old and is still going strong. Never had a mishap or fall ever wearing this helmet (touchwood). The helmet's inner lining though was a bit tattered, where I have taken some DIY corrective measures to give it an interior facelift.
A 22 year old helmet is around 15 years past its useful life!!!! In case of a fall, this helmet will not be able to save your head from damage.

If i were you, I would thank the Gods above that I have not had a mishap or a fall with this helmet till date and move on to retire and discard this at the earliest.

Please dont continue to ride with this old helmet!
neil.jericho is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 13:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would give my thumbs-up for a Studds helmet. Mine is 22 years old and is still going strong. Never had a mishap or fall ever wearing this helmet (touchwood). The helmet's inner lining though was a bit tattered, where I have taken some DIY corrective measures to give it an interior facelift
Life of Arai, Shoei type of helmet is 5 years after which the EPS gets stiffened & loses the ability to absorb the high energy during an impact & instead transfers the energy back to skull defeating the very purpose of wearing a helmet.

That was for EC & DOT standards; ISI...ahem!!
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 14:27   #8
BHPian

Great to see a local brand doing well. It shows that if companies innovate with the times, they can succeed in a manufacturing venture in India.

1500 jobs with an investment of 200 crores is commendable.
Old 17th August 2020, 17:42   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
A 22 year old helmet is around 15 years past its useful life!!!! In case of a fall, this helmet will not be able to save your head from damage.

If i were you, I would thank the Gods above that I have not had a mishap or a fall with this helmet till date and move on to retire and discard this at the earliest.

Please dont continue to ride with this old helmet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Sir, no offence but please change your helmet. Even though it seems intact, technology has changed a lot in last 22 years. You can get a much better (read: safer) piece today at decent cost. I understand your appreciation for the longevity of the helmet, but shell integrity of 22 year old helmet will be questionable.

[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Life of Arai, Shoei type of helmet is 5 years after which the EPS gets stiffened & loses the ability to absorb the high energy during an impact & instead transfers the energy back to skull defeating the very purpose of wearing a helmet.

That was for EC & DOT standards; ISI...ahem!!
Thanks friends. Apart from this old one, I have a new Studds helmet, about three years old. I use two wheelers rarely these days, mainly for going to crowded, city markets.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 18:47   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks friends. Apart from this old one, I have a new Studds helmet, about three years old. I use two wheelers rarely these days, mainly for going to crowded, city markets.
Don’t ever get rid of that old studds. Pack it up and keep it clean in a box. 22 years is vintage value.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2020, 19:03   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Don’t ever get rid of that old studds. Pack it up and keep it clean in a box. 22 years is vintage value.
Thanks, it shall be with me. It has already done 22 years with me, still shines and is keen to do another innings of the same duration plus more.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 18:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussantiago View Post
Can someone more knowledgeable than myself please explain what kind of testing Studds does? How do their standards compare with that of DOT / SNELL / CE / international brands? I understand that they're ISI approved but what does that even mean? Has there ever been a neutral third-party scientific testing of their helmets?

I guess what I'm really trying to get at is: as a skeptic, what guarantee is there that Studds helmets actually work?

So many people in our country buy helmets primarily to protect them from getting a chalaan / ticket, but are unconcerned with actual head protection.

As a side note, I also find the whole "banning of non-ISI helmets" nonsense to be very suspicious, almost like it was a move by a corrupt govt working in cahoots with Indian helmet manufacturers like Vega / Studds / Steelbird / etc to kick out the competition from international brands. I fully admit that I have zero proof of that, but I mean there's no other reason to do it that makes any sense to me. Or maybe I'm too paranoid / cranky.

Anyways, happy Independence Day everyone.
throughout. I wrote a letter to Studds pleading them to get Snell/ECE certification, I would seriously be proud to wear a helmet that can match or exceed international quality helmets... Of course I did not get any reply.

Given the small niche of buyers who are aware of the absence of testing clarity in these Indian brands, I would say that the gains from that niche market coming to them would be minimal. Actually I'd wager a that a guy riding a litre class sports bike would refuse to wear a Studds helmet for the sake of law compliance even if it were given to him for free. I suppose the government is tackling an even lower class of helmets that are made with even poorer quality standards (if that were possible ).

I don't see the point in spending ₹30-50k on these fancy helmets but Snell/ECE certification is a must, which you can get on helmets costing ₹9k and above.
ads295 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 07:31   #13
BHPian

Dear @anjan_c2007, your helmet is atleast 17 years past it's useful life. Please consign it to a safe box/show piece.

Snell rated helmets are only a few, usually available at higher prices.

However, the ECE R-22 rated helmets are available through multiple brands like LS2, HJC, MT, SMK and many of these are within the 5~7k price range.

I visited the Studds factory sometime in 2014~2015, and what I vaguely remember is, that their testing standards are subject to re-certification at periodic intervals, for ISI. They also exported some helmets, which met DOT standards, but I remember being told that DOT isn't all that tough to pass. ECE and Snell standards are significantly tougher.

My brother had a fall wearing a Studds Ninja, at 45~50kmph, ended up with a concussion injury. Switched to an ECE R-22 rated LS2. Slipped on some unexpected gravel in a sweeping turn on NH, at ~80kmph, got up and continued to ride. The bike took a good deal of damage, his jacket took some damage, but no impact to the head or any other bodily harm.

Of course, the helmet has been replaced since. It has done its job.
KSTejaswi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed