Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2022, 18:12   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: Swiss Army Knife on two-wheels : My 2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650. EDIT: Sold and upgraded

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
Congratulations on the HONDA!! Looking forward to your dictionary on the CB500X.
Thanks a lot FURY_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Congrats on a very capable bike there. Look forward to your ownership review
Thank you Sebring
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 06:49   #107
BHPian

Re: Swiss Army Knife on two-wheels : My 2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650. EDIT: Sold and upgraded

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Yours truly and my better half welcoming home the very capable adventure tourer to help us do more enjoyable trips and rides - the Honda CB500X in Grand Prix Red!
Attachment 2277219
Heartiest congratulations on your beautiful new bike.

I too test drove the 500 and was simply blown away by its performance as well as refinement. Almost made me buy it except that when I did test drive it, it costed more than a lakh more compared to today. Now I will have to rethink my decision.

I have one question, did you straight away finalize the Honda, or did you do a comparison between its peers, such as the V-strom and the Versys? if yes, what made you finalise this bike?
kosjam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 07:54   #108
Senior - BHPian

Did BigWing swap your bike? Do they offer a fair deal?
Quote:
swap of my Interceptor 650 Swiss army knife, to a somewhat better Swiss army knife in the market
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 08:00   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

@karthik - very useful comparison of features there. While things like ergonomics may be a little subjective, I think the rest of the points are a very useful guide to someone who will be in the same situation about picking one of these bikes.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 12:26   #110
BHPian

Congratulations! Cannot wait to see it tomorrow in person
krishsreedharan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 12:34   #111
BHPian

Perfect upgrade after RE 650 to a CB500X.
Now makes more sense after the price correction.

Congratulations on your purchase.
I hope they don't increase the price for the 2022 model.

Can you please update the on-road details with the split.
RaghavEvoX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 14:43   #112
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase! Looks nice. Wish you many miles of happy riding

I am in the market for a bike in the similar segment. Did you enquire about or consider the service coverage of Honda bigwing. How is the coverage when we get of the big cities? My biggest worry is about taking the bike out to sakleshpur, Coorg or somewhere, getting a minor repair or a fall and then having to tow it back to Bangalore...
rohing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 16:34   #113

Congratulations on the purchase.

Although Honda CB500X is more refined then the Interceptor 650, I am curious to know which one is more fun to ride considering different power to weight ratio.
morphious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 10:24   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
Heartiest congratulations on your beautiful new bike.

I too test drove the 500 and was simply blown away by its performance as well as refinement. Almost made me buy it except that when I did test drive it, it costed more than a lakh more compared to today. Now I will have to rethink my decision.

I have one question, did you straight away finalize the Honda, or did you do a comparison between its peers, such as the V-strom and the Versys? if yes, what made you finalise this bike?
Thank you kosjam!

I straightaway finalized the Honda. I was not looking for another big bike per se, because the Ninja 1000 is already there for all the power thrills .
In simple terms I wanted a Japanese Himalayan (fairly rugged adv) with the power of the Interceptor (~47hp), and with cheap and easy maintenance, because one white elephant in the garage (N1K) is enough, lol!
The Versys and VStrom, etc are more expensive, heavier, and become a second 'big bike' all over again. I wanted to avoid that since I wasn't looking any of the extra power or gizmos or presence those bring in. So I never test rode any of those bigger Advs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Did BigWing swap your bike? Do they offer a fair deal?
No, I did enquire with the used bike dealer they have tied up with for an exchange offer but as expected, the dealer offered 20-30k less than the market price if I sold it to a direct buyer.

Hence ended up selling both the Interceptor and the Himalayan to direct buyers via online classifieds (olx) and got good resale for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@karthik - very useful comparison of features there. While things like ergonomics may be a little subjective, I think the rest of the points are a very useful guide to someone who will be in the same situation about picking one of these bikes.
Thanks a lot condor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishsreedharan View Post
Congratulations! Cannot wait to see it tomorrow in person
Looking forward to meeting up sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghavEvoX View Post
Perfect upgrade after RE 650 to a CB500X.
Now makes more sense after the price correction.

Congratulations on your purchase.
I hope they don't increase the price for the 2022 model.

Can you please update the on-road details with the split.
The split is something like this now for Bangalore (this will change based on city):
Name:  price_revision.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  54.7 KB

Net savings will be upwards of 1.3 lacs for Bangalore's tax slabs after price revision happened.

In addition, here are the costs for Extended warranty (3 years after company warranty) and Roadside assistance for 1 year. These are not mandatory and can be taken anytime later as well, but I prefer to take these during purchase time itself just in case price gets increased later.

Extended warranty (3 additional years): 7979
RSA (1 year): 1499

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
Congrats on your purchase! Looks nice. Wish you many miles of happy riding

I am in the market for a bike in the similar segment. Did you enquire about or consider the service coverage of Honda bigwing. How is the coverage when we get of the big cities? My biggest worry is about taking the bike out to sakleshpur, Coorg or somewhere, getting a minor repair or a fall and then having to tow it back to Bangalore...
Thanks a lot rohing!

Coverage should be good for the 500X considering it falls under the second tier of Honda's big wing network which includes even CB350 H'ness which is quite common now. Honda bikes above 650cc fall under the topline network which for now seems to be restricted to only major cities, but the second tier bigwing network definitely has more reach, 88 service centres across the country if I remember correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphious View Post
Congratulations on the purchase.

Although Honda CB500X is more refined then the Interceptor 650, I am curious to know which one is more fun to ride considering different power to weight ratio.
Thanks morphious!

In terms of sheer grunt, both of them are almost same - very good low end, good gearing, easy to reach triple digit speeds, etc. However the Honda pulls cleanly even from 3rd gear and speeds as low as 10kmph!

The Interceptor is from a different genre of bikes though - it is a bit more raw and being a naked retro, it has a very basic (in a good way) and enjoyable feel to the rider. The Honda is a typical Jap adv - it is muted, refined and mature in the powertrain department as well as the suspension setup which is extremely comfortable even on the worst patches of road. It would be unfair to directly pitch these two against one another because they are very different, I just did that because I was replacing a naked retro AND an adv (Himalayan) with a bigger adv which combines the pros of both into one package .

Last edited by KarthikK : 27th February 2022 at 10:42.
KarthikK is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 18:14   #115
BHPian

In continuation of my last post, we did meet up in Bangalore yesterday - even though it was for a very short while.

A short summary of what I noticed on the Honda - Excellent fit and finish, a minimalistic dash, a super smooth engine and a lovely exhaust note straight off the factory.

Our two steeds together - a picture speaks a thousand words

Swiss Army Knife on two-wheels : My 2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650. EDIT: Sold and upgraded-fc40509eddb94cb4aff54a2710d58ba8.jpeg

Thanks Sir, for riding out in the hot sun and the Bangalore traffic, to meet with me.
krishsreedharan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 23:00   #116
BHPian

Quote:
End of an Era - February 2022

Yours truly and my better half welcoming home the very capable adventure tourer to help us do more enjoyable trips and rides - the Honda CB500X in Grand Prix Red!
Attachment 2277219
Hearty congratulations for your new ride, you made us glued to this post with RE's. Now time to settle on Honda 500X posts now onwards

A question: I very well remember the core reason for your himalayan pick is that it got the best pillion rider comfort as mentioned by you, how is the pillion comfort on your new ride? Am expecting a good positive reply on this bike too
ManneAtWheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 12:18   #117
BHPian

Quote:
End of an Era - February 2022

It is with mixed feelings that I have to write this post to inform about the sale / upgrade / swap of my Interceptor 650 Swiss army knife, to a somewhat better Swiss army knife in the market .
Attachment 2277218

Mighty congratulations KarthikK.
This is such a sensible upgrade (which doesn't sound like upgrade on paper but is definitely on the tarmac or even off it ).

Looking forward to read your adventures on CB500x.
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 14:41   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishsreedharan View Post
In continuation of my last post, we did meet up in Bangalore yesterday - even though it was for a very short while.

A short summary of what I noticed on the Honda - Excellent fit and finish, a minimalistic dash, a super smooth engine and a lovely exhaust note straight off the factory.

Our two steeds together - a picture speaks a thousand words

Thanks Sir, for riding out in the hot sun and the Bangalore traffic, to meet with me.
It was nice catching up with you on that Sunday, hope we meet up soon near Coimbatore in the days to come

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManneAtWheelz View Post
Hearty congratulations for your new ride, you made us glued to this post with RE's. Now time to settle on Honda 500X posts now onwards
Thanks for your kind words!

Quote:
A question: I very well remember the core reason for your himalayan pick is that it got the best pillion rider comfort as mentioned by you, how is the pillion comfort on your new ride? Am expecting a good positive reply on this bike too
My wife feels the pillion comfort was still very good on the Himalayan and the CB500X is probably 80-90% as comfortable as the Himalayan's pillion seat, so in that sense the Himalayan's pillion seat is marginally better. What she says is also that the CB500X's rear suspension is a lot more plush and puts away all bad patches and potholes on the road with ease compared to the Himalayan, so it evens out at the end of the day. The pillion seat leg space and access are similar on both so there is no difference there.

I have added a topbox with backrest now though, so that should make things even better on the CB compared to how it was on the Himalayan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Mighty congratulations KarthikK.
This is such a sensible upgrade (which doesn't sound like upgrade on paper but is definitely on the tarmac or even off it ).

Looking forward to read your adventures on CB500x.
Thanks a lot nitinkbhaskar! Yes indeed, it was a more well-rounded product to do many things with one bike. Will update my adventures and trips on a separate thread, thanks again!
KarthikK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 14:47   #119
BHPian

Congratulations on the CB500X! I am sure refinement is a good plus over the Himalayan. How long was the waiting period for the bike?
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 14:26   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Congratulations on the CB500X! I am sure refinement is a good plus over the Himalayan. How long was the waiting period for the bike?
Thanks a lot for the wishes 100Kmphormore .
The waiting period wasn't much because there were ready stocks for the 500X around the time that I got it. Once I made a booking, the bike was shipped from the NCR factory and reached the Bangalore showroom in 10-12 days.

Most Viewed