Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2020, 11:17   #16
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield teases new Bobber ahead of 2018 EICMA

That looks like a very lucrative option!
The engine and drivertrain, if taken from the interceptor, are already a fantastic platform.
I see hints of a digital console, and I've heard it's getting USD (Not sure).
All in all, the Kawa Vulcan now has competition.
Old 31st August 2020, 12:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Royal Enfield 650cc Cruiser concept spied

The bike looks wow!
And with the 650 power plant will surely tick most of the boxes.

Might as well become the next cult bike in India.

Seems like they are using the same chassis of the RE Interceptor - looks like they have solved the problem of foot pegs scraping the shins/calves.
Old 31st August 2020, 16:53   #18
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield 650cc Cruiser Concept Spied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsumoto View Post
Original spotting by Youtuber Karthick..
Was watching the video frame by frame (0.12 to 0.15 seconds), is this bike equipped with a belt drive or it's just my mind playing games��

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st August 2020 at 17:16. Reason: Removed video URL within quotes.
Old 31st August 2020, 18:30   #19
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield 650cc Cruiser concept spied

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-picsart_083106.23.27.jpg
Come to think of it, the styling looks eerily similar to the meteor 350 test mule spotted months ago. A much larger body with wider tyres, dual exhausts, USD forks seem to be the major differences. Looks absolutely cool RE. With Harley thinking about exiting the Indian market, RE can aim for the skies, until the Bajaj-Triumph alliance brings something on to the table.
GKR9900 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 18:41   #20
BHPian

That thick tyre. I just can't get over it every time I see these pics. That 650 engine in a Thunderbird kind of style is going to be the ultimate cruiser for India. Many Interceptor users have said it before also that if that 650 is placed in a proper cruiser the sales charts will go on fire. Seems RE has heard. However if you ask me this bike needs pillion backrest and little thicker seats to look complete.
darkLightning is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 08:05   #21
BHPian

Wow! looks like a good package and it comes shod with alloy wheels!

Any clue as to when we may expect this to hit the roads?
Old 1st September 2020, 13:42   #22

This is not belt drive. The clutch housing is on the right side, if they had to put up a belt drive, they would have to engineer a way to segregate the clutch housing from drivetrain. Its a chain drive evident from left side half chain cover and the rear disc brake over the rear alloy wheel is giving it the illusion if belt drive.

Also, RE knows Indian customers, they have always vouched for value. Inclusion of USD is a great feature already, why would they over-engineer and complicate stuff.

I just hope they give this motorcycle an 21ltr tank and Thunderbird name (speculation name - Roadster 650).

Can someone shed some light when this might be launched. Looks pretty much ready without camo covering. I might hold my Int plans for this happily.
Swagat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 00:30   #23
BHPian

Great going RE!! I am happy to see a fresh, new design and promising product by them. If RE does its homework well in terms of quality and pricing, I can see Kawasaki Vulkan has limited days in Indian market.

And yes, my search of a sub 5L affordable cruiser may end here. There is absolute void in that space with Avenger 220 and Street 500/750 being at extreme ends of spectrum.
Zinda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 09:45   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagat View Post
This is not belt drive. The clutch housing is on the right side, if they had to put up a belt drive, they would have to engineer a way to segregate the clutch housing from drivetrain

Even the youtuber commented the same, It's just eyes wanting to believe whatever it wants

What appeals to me most are,
1. Thunderbird moniker with 650cc
2. Alloy wheel + Tubeless tyres
3. 20 litre TBTS tank
USD Forks / Dual Suspension at the rear have caught me with surprise.

I am hearing new meteor is going to have 15 litre petrol tank hope that is not carried away here.
katsumoto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 09:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can someone shed some light when this might be launched. Looks pretty much ready without camo covering. I might hold my Int plans for this happily.
I was thinking of the same, but from what I heard, it is not anytime soon. Atleast not this year, for sure.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 10:46   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

If this is the new Thunderbird, Royal Enfield has another massive sales success on its hands. It would probably spell the end of the Harley Davidson Street 750 and the Street Rod as well in our market, which are by far the best selling offerings from HD. If I was the head of operations for Harley Davidson India, I would be really really worried!

And here we were all naively thinking that the next model on the 650 platform would be the very tasty Scrambler 650!
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 14:20   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
And here we were all naively thinking that the next model on the 650 platform would be the very tasty Scrambler 650!
From my exposure to the 650 engine (which is actually a gem) do not think it will make a good scrambler engine. Would prefer the engine to carry much more low end torque. However this engine with all its weight can still be a good cruiser or with a better chassis design can find a use case in making a decent Adventure tourer with better top end. They need to have different engine tunes plus gear ratios for each of their versions instead of plonking the same engine tune.

Nice to see the RE get the USD for the first time into its product.
ku69rd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 14:47   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
From my exposure to the 650 engine (which is actually a gem) do not think it will make a good scrambler engine. Would prefer the engine to carry much more low end torque. However this engine with all its weight can still be a good cruiser or with a better chassis design can find a use case in making a decent Adventure tourer with better top end. They need to have different engine tunes plus gear ratios for each of their versions instead of plonking the same engine tune.
Completely agree, the 650 engine can be a great foundation for many product spin offs. What is needed is tweaking for purpose to suit the different product lines, exactly as you said. They have already showcased the Scrambler 650 and now this is likely to be the Thunderbird 650. If they can launch the bobber, an adventure tourer and a fully faired sporty bike on this 650 base, their cash registers will keep ringing!
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 20:56   #29

Quote:
What appeals to me most are,
1. Thunderbird moniker with 650cc
2. Alloy wheel + Tubeless tyres
3. 20 litre TBTS tank
USD Forks / Dual Suspension at the rear have caught me with surprise

I just hope the 20ltr tank is carried forward with that relaxed ergonomics. Kawasaki Vulcan, HD 750 and speculated Cruiser of Bajaj will all have to rethink strategies and go back to drawing board. Also, if RE decides to go the S&S Overbore way (800cc+) (Again speculated since the 650cc architecture can handle power outputs of 865cc bore kit) HD will actually find it better to leave Indian market (Pun Intended)
Old 3rd September 2020, 16:37   #30
BHPian

Quote:

HD will actually find it better to leave Indian market :

There was an old thread about a gentleman wanting to buy Activa to do errands (To buy a loath of bread in his own words) ended up buying HD street 750 (I believe so). He started the ordeals of this sonic machine (HD which magically converts pertrol into noise and thermal energy ) and its high priced accessories.

In the same thread lot of high end bikers started accepting heating and other issues with the big bikes which otherwise nobody was talking about willingly... quite an eye opener thread .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks