Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2020, 16:47   #16
BHPian

Re: TVS Wego: Facing difficulty in starting the second time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
It's the TPS.
No Ashwin, TPS ( throttle position sensor ) puts out analog voltage and is 3 wire (its a potentiometer) and this cannot be in series with an ignition coil. The carburetor switch on the other hand is a contact, that means it just open or close. I am pretty sure of it. I am just not sure of its purpose.

Btw there is no need for TPS in this model since its pre BSVI and there is no ECU or EFI in this model.

Last edited by srini1785 : 22nd September 2020 at 16:50.
Old 22nd September 2020, 16:55   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
No Ashwin, TPS ( throttle position sensor ) puts out analog voltage and is 3 wire (its a potentiometer) and this cannot be in series with a ignition coil. The carburetor switch on the other hand is a contact, that means it just open or close. I am pretty sure of it. I am just not sure of its purpose.

Btw there is no need for TPS in this model since its pre BSVI and there is no ECU or EFI in this model.
Yes and No.

3 Wire TPS is for premium offerings like the ZMA, FZ16, 200NS etc. This is a potentiometer.

2 Wire TPS is for the budget offerings like Pulsar 150/180/220 etc. This is just an ON/OFF Switch.

I know for a fact as I've owned and worked on motorcycles with both.

Carburetted motorcycles are equipped with TPS as well, this is to retard the igntion timing to compensate for load from throttle input.

The ZMA was launched in 2003 and it came with a 3 Wire TPS and SAI back then itself.
Old 22nd September 2020, 17:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
2 Wire TPS is for the budget offerings like Pulsar 150/180/220 etc. This is just an ON/OFF Switch.
We are going but how would you sense the position of a throttle by using just two states?. i.e ON and OFF ?.
Old 23rd September 2020, 02:35   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
We are going but how would you sense the position of a throttle by using just two states?. i.e ON and OFF ?.
It is just a switch that triggers when the throttle is opened beyond a point.

Basically, the spark is triggered with input from the Pulsar Coil, but as RPM goes up combustion time reduces so to compensate the spark is advanced by the CDI, until here all is well. But then arises the scenario where the rider cracks open the throttle, now this would cause the motor to ping and to prevent the same the timing in Retarded when the CDI gets a signal from the TPS switch on the Carb.

TVS Wego: Facing difficulty in starting the second time-reed.jpg

The system is very rudimentary to the point of being a Jugaad but gets the job done.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 09:15   #20
BHPian

Quote:
It is just a switch that triggers when the throttle is opened beyond a point.
See that's what i have been trying to explain. Its only a switch ( a contact) its not a TPS. The explanation that you have given is also ok except that its main function is also to prevent wheelie flying start when the rider keeps throttle open during starting with brakes OFF. That's why it in series with the ignition coil. This also means that its a Normally closed switch which opens ( cuts off) when the throttle is pulled beyond a certain point. The OP can probably check this using a multi directly.

Now to the topic, I still feel that its either this switch or the brake switch that's the problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks