Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2021, 16:11   #16
BHPian

Re: Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD

35k kilometres and 12th Service done.

It has been some time and I finally got the idling almost to my satisfaction from a trusted garage. Given the history of how I have destroyed things while trying to fix them, didn't give me the confidence to work on Blu.

I decided to get the 12th service done as soon as Blu crossed the 35k mark. It has been six months and around 3.5k kms since last service. The service was done at Honda ASS and it cost me Rs. 2214/-. Apart from the usual works the air filter, accelerator and choke cables were replaced. And voila, the issue of the dancing speedometer needle was solved. Maybe it was due to the speedometer cable becoming old and hard which caused the needle to jump all over the place.

So Blu is back on duty and is as reliable as ever. The fuel efficiency is hovering at 40-42kmpl in the city and goes up to 50-51kmpl on the highway.

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20201231_201412.jpg

P. S. - I have got a new wax polish which is kind of cheap one. Tried a bit on one small panel and it seemed decent. Will be trying it on whole of Blu, this weekend to see how it looks and if good will proceed for Panda as well.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 07:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Finally settled in on an Activa 125 Rebel Red Disc Brake version. After riding Vibrators (Royal Enfield) for more than 5 years, it feels like riding an electric scoot, Hondas are damn refined for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-bacardi.jpeg  

Last edited by rakesh_r : 29th January 2021 at 07:54.
rakesh_r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 11:54   #18
BHPian

A Puncture - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Yesterday, on our usual commute to office, I and my better half encountered an uninvited passenger. Long story short, a big puncture in the rear wheel of Blu.

The good part, we did not fall down as it was caught early and we were doing low speeds and I was able to stop safely, thanks to the pothole riddled city road.

The bad part was that the new tube which was hardly 3 months old became useless. (Which I found out at the garage). I flagged down an auto and made sure that my wife reached her office on time since I was going to be late and there was no need for both of us getting late.

Then comes the ugly part of pushing the scooter all the way to a repair shop which was about 1-1.5 kms away. I didn't have any number for mobile puncture repair guys or at that peak time I don't think anyone would have come soon. I started pushing Blu to the repair shop and soon found out that pushing a scooter is far different from pushing a bike. Pushing a bike in neutral is easy it rolls freely abut the scooter is always in gear and it's such a pain. In the short distance of pushing my legs were shaking, hands trembling and I was questioning my diet choices, fitness and lifestyle. It took me about half an hour to push the scooter to 1-1.5 kms.

AT the garage, the mechanic pulled the tyre off and on inspection found the culprit to be a nail and a big one at that. it was more than 3 inches long and I have no idea how it managed to lodge itself in my puny tyre. Pictures for reference;

The culprit.
Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-whatsapp-image-20210202-10.53.56.jpeg

Reference size.
Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-whatsapp-image-20210202-10.53.56-1.jpeg

So, the nail had poked numerous holes in the tube by the time I stopped and pushed it till the garage rendering it useless. I had to pay for a new tube and the hole in the tyre was repaired with a patch. Since the hole was in the tread groove and towards the side, a patch on the inside was enough. Anyways I was putting a tube. Damage to the wallet Rs.300/-. Damage to my pride- Priceless, as I was humiliated by my fitness level.

P.S.- I did try that cheap wax polish on Blu but there was not any visible difference in appearance so concluded that the wax polish is useless. There is no water beading effect also. The only good thing is that the paint surface is smooth and dust can be easily removed now. I will try one more coat this weekend and update.

Last edited by BLACNWYTE : 3rd February 2021 at 12:03.
Old 3rd February 2021, 12:50   #19
BHPian

The edit window on my previous post lapsed so here are some pictures of my Blu at 35k+ kms. (Photos are from my phone camera, hence quality is so-so)

Before waxing.
Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-before-.jpeg

After waxing.
Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-after-.jpeg

I couldn't find any visual difference. The only difference is from the smoother touch feel.

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-whatsapp-image-20210203-12.13.19-3.jpeg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-whatsapp-image-20210203-12.13.19.jpeg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-whatsapp-image-20210203-12.13.20.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Finally settled in on an Activa 125 Rebel Red Disc Brake version. After riding Vibrators (Royal Enfield) for more than 5 years, it feels like riding an electric scoot, Hondas are damn refined for sure.
Congratulations on your new ride. Wishing you many a happy mile on it.

Yes, Honda engines are very refined for sure, at 4+ years and 35k kms Blu's engine sound as sweet as on the first day. That being said the new FI engines are on a different level altogether in smoothness. Mine is a carbureted one and even though smooth, I can feel the difference when I ride a FI engine scooter. The pick up and acceleration are way better on FI ones and the fuel efficiency too.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 22:01   #20
BHPian

Blu @ 40000kms

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20210731_102504.jpg

Thirteenth Service and Front tyre replacement.

Of late I have been observing an uneven wear on the front tyre of Blu. I check the air every seven to ten days, which is the frequency of refuelling and so I knew it was not because of under or over inflation. I checked a few Activas in my office parking and found that a few of them had the same problem. However, on closer inspection it was found that the right arm of the fork was leaking a bit of oil. So a broken seal has caused the uneven wear over time and I started to notice it when the handle behaved a bit wobbly even on smooth tarmac.

Odo at the time of service.

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20210805_091103.jpg

Due to hectic work schedule, the biannual service was delayed by a month and I gave Blu for his second service of the year on 05/08/21. The works included front fork repair, brake and clutch overhaul, engine oil and o ring replacement and the under seat stopper bush replacement. Out of the two stopper bushes one had fallen off and the other has become way too brittle. Since I hadn't booked the service and repair work was also included, I was given estimated deliver time on 06/08/21 forenoon.

However, I received Blu only by late afternoon and that too after multiple call to Honda ASS. Since, I had to hurry to get him back I couldn't check properly all the items in bill and work done on Blu at the service centre itself, which was a mistake on my part. However, I did check the front fork and it looked clean. All lights and horn working. Total cost Rs. 2646/-

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20210806_202627.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20210806_202704.jpg

On the short ride home, I felt the wobbling of the handle was very much present and I knew the uneven tyre has to go. So took the detour to a nearby tyre shop and asked for replacement of front tyre.

I wanted Ceat Milaze or Appollo but they had Maxxis and JK Blaze for front tyres. I took the JK because it was the latest manufactured of the two. The Maxxis was already over an year old on the shelf. Also the total price quoted for all tyres was the same Rs. 1300/- (tyre, labour and nitrogen filling). I have tried Ceat Gripp on rear tyres and even though they provide excellent grip they don't have the life of stock TVS ones. So I wanted to try the Milaze or the Appollo this time. Maybe when I replace the rear ones later this year I'll go for Ceat Milaze. So, out went the stock TVS Conta 350, 90/90-12 (Manufactured 33/16) tyre, which served me well for 40k kms and in came JK Blaze 90/90-12 (Manufactured 26/21) tyre, fresh on duty.

Old tyre.

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20210806_201833.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20210806_201822.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20210806_201308.jpg

It was fortunate that I decided to replace the tyre when I did because, even though it had enough tread to last for another 5k-10k kms, the worn out tread, at places was pretty thin, I mean wafer thin and had bulges/ bubbles formed on the inside. The outer layer was cut at a couple of places and a pothole at decent speed could have landed me in some serious trouble. I took some pictures but due to low lighting it's not that clear. I'll try and post decent pictures later.

Now for the mistake on my part for not being thorough at the ASS. When I checked Blu at home, I found that the under seat rubber bushes were not replaced. Also they have charged me for polishing and sanitization. I can live with sanitization since its required but the polishing and that too for Rs. 500/-, is extortion. And that too sub par work. On the way home it was raining and I checked for the water beading effect and found none. I hope to give them a piece of my mind when the call back for feedback.

Anyhow, Blu is 40k kms old and is just 3 months shy of his fifth birthday. Odo currently stands at 40040 kms.

Last edited by BLACNWYTE : 6th August 2021 at 22:03.
Old 6th September 2021, 08:31   #21
BHPian

Awesome followed by Awful

As Blu is approaching his 5 the birthday, I'm being rewarded with mixed signals. Regarding the great awesome stuff, after the service done, tyre change and front suspension repair, I rode Blue down to Trivandrum from Kochi earlier last month. To be honest, Blue performed flawlessly on the trip and I averaged around 40 kmph during the 220km trip. Max speed reached was 60 Kmph and that too on 4 lane divided highway, max speed on 2 lane highway was limited to 50 kmph. Overall Blu returned his personal best FE of 57.3 kmpl on this trip.

I had been longing for this kind of trip for a long time and I was too excited after the ride to feel any tiredness. I was advised against this by the home minister but somehow cajoled her to give the green signal. However, I was warned of a hefty price tag in the near future and also dire consequences if something goes wrong. It rained for almost half of the trip and the other half was sunny and nice. This is the only Photo I have from the trip as I was enjoying the ride a little too much to take more pictures. I was accompanied by my brother on my wife's Matte Blue Yamaha Fascino 125 which we affectionately call 'Duck'. (Ownership review planned)

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-trip.jpg

Now on to the not so good parts and the awful, the second week in Trivandrum Blu suffered another puncture in the rear tyre. Late evening I was stranded on the way home from office. Luckily with the help of nearby autowallahs, I got hold of the number of a guy who operates a mobile puncture repair business and called him up. He arrived within 10 mins as promised and fixed the issue. This was another nail incident where the nail was nowhere to be found. Since I didn't push the scooter with the nail inside this time, the tube was saved and damage to the wallet was limited to Rs.150/-.

Two weeks later, on the first on September, about same time as previous incident, another niggle rears its ugly head. The throttle got stuck at around 20-30% of power! I am riding around with no throttle input at 30-40 kmph of flat road and even moving up an incline at 15-20 kmph. I had heard about Honda throttle cable failure and had witnessed one incident when I went to give Blu for service during 2017, but never thought it would happen to me. Moreover, I had the cable changed this January only, so the failure really baffles me. It was heart in mouth moment for me initially, but then I started using it like a cruise control for the remaining part if the journey. The only problems were the traffic signals/ stops where the scooter was revving and vibrating to the amusement of the fellow road users. I had to turn it off and the start at those times. However, traffic was sparse and out of the 4 lights on the way home I had greens on three, so yes, very lucky me. I also stopped at two workshops on the way home but they didn't have the part in stock.

I purchased the throttle cable later, but I didn't get the Honda genuine part as it was out of stock and had to go for Minda make cable. Cost Rs. 270/- and I have not yet got it installed due to a packed schedule. I might get it done this week and hopefully Blu won't throw any more tantrums.

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20210906_073107.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20210906_073045.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20210906_073038.jpg

Also, the rear tyre has lost much of its tread so will be replacing it soon. I'm being pressured to sell of Blu and get a new one maybe in the electric avatar since as per everybody, Blu is about be five years old and with more than 40k on the odo, his prime is past and I might not get a decent resale value later. Only if it was so easy. I have to say that Ola electric scooter had /has me tempted but I'm way too attached to Blu to let him go just yet. Current Odo reading 40725 kms.

Parting shot.

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20210304_065827.jpg
Old 14th September 2021, 17:16   #22
BHPian

Partially bogus service ?

I got the accelerator/throttle cable of Blu replaced from an FNG and as per my mechanic, the faulty cable was an old one albeit very much greased. Apparently it was never changed by the ASC, but the convienetly billed me for the same after greasing it. I should have known it when the post service ride also felt the same but for the improvement in engine sound due to changed oil. As per my mechanic, who seems to be a straight up guy, the ASC's seldom changes the throttle cable because they will have to remove entire fairings to access it fully and it's quite tedious and time consuming. So in order to complete the targets of the enormous number of Honda vehicles they get, they go the easier route of greasing the old cables so it feels smooth like a new one. Now, I was not present during the replacement and I didn't see the old cable, hence the question mark in the heading. The 'throttle cable replacement' was done by Muthoot Honda, Kochi (ASC) in January 2021 apparently about 5500 kms ago. So if the cable was not changed, it serves me for almost 5 years and 41k kms. If the cable was changed then it failed me within 6k kms. And to cap it all, the issue with the speedometer needle has returned. Anyway, I don't think I'll be going back to ASC anymore. I'd rather get the work done in front of my eyes than be 'assured' by ASC about the works they have billed me for.

Enough about that and onto the more delightful part that my Blu is back on road. I received him back on 10th after two days at the FNG since my mechanic was busy with other commitments and I was only able to ride him today because I was busy with my work. I have to tell that, it's a delight after the cable replacement. The throttle is feather light (I was surprised at first because I was so used to the tight and hard one before) and engine feels very responsive. In earlier instances when I used to wring the throttle, the rubber band effect was quite pronounced and Blu didn't pick up speed easily but with the new cable I'm experiencing a better pick up and throttle response. I have to be careful with the throttle input because I am so used to the earlier one that I tend to be a bit heavy on it. Also, my FNG mechanic has tightened/ recaliberated my brakes and idling speed better than what the ASC guys did. I didn't ask for that but was pleasantly surprised and to top it, he delivered Blu home. For all this he charged a hefty sum of Rs. 200/-.

Maybe good times are coming back for Blu and I.
Old 16th November 2021, 08:41   #23
BHPian

42000 kms and Rear Tyre Change.

So the CEAT Gripp tyres lasted me all of 18.5k kms and almost 2.5 years before it went completely bald at the center. Even with the bald center, the tyre was providing very good grip on curves with whatever tread was left on the sides. The braking performance was degrading exponentially so I decided to change the tyres before the rains start here in Kerala. I have to say that the tyre has lived up to its name. Very grippy tyre, not much life though but excellent grip, both wet and dry. You can see the old wheel in the image below.

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20211105_175920.jpg

With that confidence in CEAT tyres, this time I went for CEAT Milaze tyres as I want to see if they offer that insane life as per their advertisements. On the visual inspection the treads seems to be of larger blocks with more tread depth and the rubber seems harder than that of Gripp tyre. The tyre was manufactured in Sept 2021.

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20211105_165138.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20211105_165149.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20211105_165219.jpg

Since I was running on tubed tyres due to a bent rim from earlier, this time i decided to get rid of the entire wheel and get a new rim too. I looked for Activa rims but I couldn't get one but got the rim of Hero Maestro rear wheel which is exactly same as that of Honda Activa 125, so bought it. The rim was also manufactured in Sept 2021.

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20211105_165246.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20211105_165256.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20211105_165331.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20211105_165354.jpg

Got the wheel changed at a local tyre shop and the ride was as good as new.

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20211105_175601.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20211105_175707.jpg

Costs

Tyre Cost - Rs. 1050/-
Rim Cost - Rs. 730/-
Fitting & Nitrogen filling Charges - Rs. 100/-

The old tyre and rim will continue to serve albeit on a wheel barrow now.

Initial Impression

I have done about 250 kms till now on the new tyres and I have noticed the following;
  • Offers decent grip. Not to the level of Gripp model but decent.
  • Less road noise than Gripp model tyres.
  • The ride is a litter more cushy. Not sure if its because I got rid of the tubed tyre or it may be just placebo.
  • The hair like extensions on the tyre are still there after 200+ kms so I think these tyres will live up to the name or the claim by manufacturers.

That's all for now, will keep you posted on further developments.
Old 30th January 2022, 09:46   #24
BHPian

Drive Belt Replacement

One fine day last month I went to pick up my better half from her work and I parked the scooter. When I tried to start it for our return journey I was shocked to see that the self start was not working. When the button was pressed there was a 'tak' sound and the display goes off. I thought the battery might have gone weak even though until half an hour ago the self was working just fine.

Next I tried the kicker and to my utter disbelief it was stuck. it was not even moving a millimeter. the whole of my almost 100Kg wasn't even moving it a bit. A bystander also tried to help but no luck. Since my last service was in August 2021, I had an outside fear that the oil level might have dropped and the engine seized due to this. This was a very remote chance and I had not seen any signs of oil consumption but still. Thankfully a two wheeler workshop was only about 20 mtrs from the parking lot and I pushed Blu there.

I was mentally prepared for an engine overhaul but the mechanic told me that the kicker might have just got stuck and I was skeptical. Upon opening the crank case/ clutch case it was seen that the old drive belt teeth had snapped and was stuck in between there causing all of it to get stuck. The only thing it needed was a new drive belt. Huge sigh of relief from my end. There was a spares shop just beside the workshop and I got one compatible drive belt from there and got the replacement done. The mechanic lubricated the joints and kicker and everything was back to normal.

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20211230_173306.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20211230_174253.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20211230_174303.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20211230_174344.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20211230_174619.jpg

Costs

New Drive Belt (Rolon Make) - Rs. 380/-
Labour - Rs. 250/-
Total - Rs. 630/-

The Odometer stands at 435xx kms.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:54   #25
BHPian

Five years and Fourteenth Service

Blu turned five last October end and as part of my bi- annual service policy, I got Blu serviced January end for Honda ASS (EVM Honda, Kattakkada, Trivandrum).

The SA suggested a carburetor cleaning and low speed adjustment and I agreed since there was a mild knocking sound at idle and it was not smooth. The pick up was also lagging a bit for the past couple of months. Another thing noticed was the slight leak of gear oil from the case so it was decided to change the gasket and get new bolts foe the case. Apart from this the routine works of engine oil change, gear oil change, brake overhaul, tightening of all bolts and general wash was requested. I also asked them to change the bushes under the sweat as onehad already fallen off and the remaining one was on the verge of snapping off.

I got multiple calls in between requesting to change air filter, clutch shoe and drive belt saying all are damaged. The driver belt was changed only a couple of weeks ago and I was surprised, when asked again they say say that it's not a Honda genuine part and as per policy they have to change it. I said politely and firmly that the scoot is over five years old and out of warranty and I don't want to change a perfectly fine component just because it's their policy. I also told not to change air filter and clutch shoe as I was not present there to see if the thing was actually damaged. Will check them later at an FNG.

I got back Blu in the evening with all work done and the only thing that was done extra was sanitization. I took delivery and observed that the horn was not working at certain points. I raised the issue and the mechanic told that it's because of age and contact points getting worn out. I was surprised that the thing which was working fine in the morning was worn out by evening. I informed them this and they had no answer. Anyway it was getting late and I didn't want to spend more time there so I took Blu home. The horn is working, you just need more effort and know which point to press.

Overall service was satisfactory and the performance of Blu has improved over the past 100 kms. The pick up is better, idle speed is the way I like and without knocking and fuel efficiency has improved a bit. Keeping fingers crossed for the effects to last till next service.

Total service cost -Rs - 2229/-
Odometer stand at 44300kms. Some parting shots of the five year old

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20220129_084200.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20220130_082507.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20220203_121509.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20220130_082334.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20220203_121634.jpg
BLACNWYTE is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 12:45   #26
BHPian

Gear oil leak

That was the shortest lived happiness I have had with Blu. Just as I crossed the 100 km mark after the service, the shoddy work reared its ugly head. While I was leaving office a couple of days ago I was shocked to see a small puddle of leaked oil at the base of rear tyre. On quick inspection, it was revealed that the new gear oil/ gear casing gasket has impressively failed and its leaking oil. Earlier it was just wetness of oil on the casing whereas now its full blown dripping leak. So much for work quality of ASS. Now the Activa 125 has only 120 ml of gear oil and I was positive that it has leaked at least 50 ml. By the time i got back home I was sure that I have lost about 80-100 ml of oil. Entire side of the rear tyre was covered in oil. Also the wheel arch/ mud guard, was also splattered with oil. I was also a little concerned that if the oil comes in contact with the exhaust it might catch fire. You can see the extend of leakage in the following pictures.

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20220202_205058.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20220202_205048.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20220202_205328.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20220202_204853.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20220202_205016.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20220203_081429.jpg

I called up the service center and since it was after 6 PM, nobody picked up the call. So I raised a complaint the next day and got a slot booked for inspection and repairs. Thankfully the leak has subsided, either because all of the gear oil was drained or there was not enough oil for dripping leak. I was more concerned about the 8 km journey to the service center with most probably no gear oil. The ASS people was positive that Blu could make the trip and I for one doesn't trust them anymore. However, for the lack of options, I decided to take a gamble and ride Blu there.

I had some urgent work on the day so my FIL took Blu for repairs. Blu also did the trip without any problem. Guess there was some oil in the chamber after all. Thankfully they changed the part and filled oil without any fuss. However, it left a bad taste. Now Blu has run about 30 kms so far after this and so far no issues. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Hope I have not done any permanent damage to the gear components by running it on low oil even though it was for less than 10 kms. The odo stands at 44448 kms. I missed taking a snap of the 44444km mark.

Missed the milestone.
Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20220205_230518.jpg

BTW, I love taking pictures of the odometer. I think I had almost every milestone odometer readings from the first 100 kms to the latest 44448 kms. Some were lost when I lost phone 3 years ago but now i regularly sync with cloud storage so that none of the snaps are lost.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 13:14   #27
BHPian

The Odometer stands at 435xx kms.[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACNWYTE View Post
Drive Belt Replacement

New Drive Belt (Rolon Make) - Rs. 380/-
Labour - Rs. 250/-
Total - Rs. 630/-

The Odometer stands at 435xx kms.
I would like to suggest you to change the Rolon Drive Belt after 5000 kms with a Honda Genuine Belt. I had a pretty bad experience with Rolon belts.

My Hero Maestro was in for service at Hero Dealership when I requested for a drive belt change(Company recommends to change drive belt every 24,000kms mine was at 25,000). Guess what? They didn't had the part in stock so they replaced it with an after-market Rolon one(without informing me). I didn't knew about it because I trusted the mechanics over there, although I did had my doubts when the mechanic came in with just a belt in his hand without any packing. The belt was changed, I paid 640 for the belt(Yes they had the audacity to charge me for a genuine part in spite of using an aftermarket one).

After 10k kms the belt one day just snapped. I was at 40 km/hr when this happened and approaching a traffic signal. The engine stalled as if it was seized. I also tried kick, but it was jammed, the self motor won't work. I checked my dipstick, and the oil level was still between the max and min marks.

I brought my ride back home, removed the engine from the frame, opened up the clutch cover and this is what I found.

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20201212_111611.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20201212_111620.jpg

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20201212_111634.jpg

The after-market ones cost less but are not as reliable as per my experience. The Honda genuine belt for Activa 125 costs about 650 if I remember it correctly. The part number is 23100-K24-901.

Quote:
Five years and Fourteenth Service

Blu turned five last October end and as part of my bi- annual service policy, I got Blu serviced January end for Honda ASS (EVM Honda, Kattakkada, Trivandrum).
I would suggest you to get the service done from a trusted mechanic rather than the service centre. Best would be, if you can do it yourself. Activa, is very easy to work upon.

Quote:
[b] I got multiple calls in between requesting to change air filter, clutch shoe and drive belt saying all are damaged. The driver belt was changed only a couple of weeks ago and I was surprised, when asked again they say say that it's not a Honda genuine part and as per policy they have to change it. I said politely and firmly that the scoot is over five years old and out of warranty and I don't want to change a perfectly fine component just because it's their policy. I also told not to change air filter and clutch shoe as I was not present there to see if the thing was actually damaged. Will check them later at an FNG.
Changing the clutch would be required if you feel there is slippage while driving or acceleration. I don't know about Activa 125 clutch, but for normal Activa and Hero Maestro, it is recommended to change the clutch once the thickness goes below 2.0mm. Also get your spark plug changed if not already Activa 125 uses MR7C-9E plug. Part number- 31917-KWP-D01

Also check if they've replaced the paper gasket that is between carburetor and the main gasket (black in colour) of the carburetor. Here's how it looks.

Blu: The blue eyed boy - My Honda Activa 125 STD-img_20220208_130453.jpg

Honda Part Number- 16212-KWP-900
Uno Minda Part Number- MI-0044D
Uno Minda Part Number 2- MI-0044E

The second Uno Minda part comes with a thicker main gasket. I think newer Acitva's require MI-0044E vs the MI-0044D. However, the paper gasket for both are same.

Quote:
[b] I got back Blu in the evening with all work done and the only thing that was done extra was sanitization. I took delivery and observed that the horn was not working at certain points. I raised the issue and the mechanic told that it's because of age and contact points getting worn out.
This happens when they wash scooters with high-pressure water. Water gets into switches and corrodes the contacts over time. I would suggest you to park the scooter in sun and see if things get any better, if they don' then use some Electric Contact Cleaner or WD-40 and see if it works normally again. If not, replacing the switch might be necessary.

Quote:
Gear oil leak

Hope I have not done any permanent damage to the gear components by running it on low oil even though it was for less than 10 kms. The odo stands at 44448 kms. I missed taking a snap of the 44444km mark.
Shouldn't be much of an issue. The axle bearing is a sealed one that comes lubricated from the factory. The other bearings in the gearbox should be fine too. The leak seems to be from the area where the housing for the gearbox meets the crankcase. Was the scooters gearbox ever opened up for replacement of bearings?

Quote:
Missed the milestone.
Attachment 2269114

BTW, I love taking pictures of the odometer. I think I had almost every milestone odometer readings from the first 100 kms to the latest 44448 kms. Some were lost when I lost phone 3 years ago but now i regularly sync with cloud storage so that none of the snaps are lost.
I do it too. Sometimes after every 100 kms.

Last edited by abhi9044 : 8th February 2022 at 13:16. Reason: Correcting Errors
abhi9044 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 22:18   #28
BHPian

First off, thank you abhi9044 for the detailed reply, advices and especially the part numbers. I really appreciate it.

Thanks for the heads up on Rolon drive belt. I'll get it changed to Honda genuine part the next service in July - August. I do anywhere between 8-9k kms per year on Blu. Must have been scary what happened to you. Thank God nothing untoward happened.

I'm not a black thumb, not by a long shot. So working on the scooter by myself is not confidence inspiring however simple the task might be. More so, I'm worried about causing damage to Blu with my sub par work as he was my first vehicle purchase from my own money and has a special place in my heart. However, when I get a couple of day's free time I might attempt something in future.

Clutch is smooth for now. Blu rides butter smooth since service and those rattles that comes with mileage is also gone for now. Actually what they said was clutch shoe is damaged/ cracked but not extensively. If I face any slippage/ power loss/ juddering Blu is going for repairs.

Right now I have no way of knowing what they did to the carb, but the idling is super smooth and low like the way I want and a ticking sound that was there earlier is not there. Spark Plug has been cleaned and gap is ok as per the mechanic. I specifically ask them to check it during service ever since my Panda (Creta) suffered a failed plug. Spark plug was once changed at around 31500 kms.

With regard to the horn switch, I thought it was due to pressure wash too but the switch has some play now and it works when pressed in the middle and not on the edge. I'll spray some WD40 and see if anything changes. If it goes bad I'll get it changed.

I really love the scoot. I spend almost the same amount of money on Blu as much as I do on Panda for service every year. Maybe next time onwards I'll source the parts from Honda genuine parts and get the work done from an FNG under my watch and maybe that will cost less and give better results.

Last but not the least, taking odometer pictures is very important.

Once again thank you buddy, for taking the time for the detailed reply, really appreciate it.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 16:39   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, Honda engines are very refined for sure, at 4+ years and 35k kms Blu's engine sound as sweet as on the first day. That being said the new FI engines are on a different level altogether in smoothness. Mine is a carbureted one and even though smooth, I can feel the difference when I ride a FI engine scooter. The pick up and acceleration are way better on FI ones and the fuel efficiency too.
Hi,

I have an Activa 5G (2019).
I'm considering upgrading to a 6G or a 125
Main reason - Suspension.
Otherwise the 5G is great!

In many reviews (TBHP & Other websites), I've read that Activa 6G has very dull throttle response.

Whereas in your post, its mentioned that Pickup/acceleration are better for FI (6G) compared to 5G

Compared to 5G, or to ur Activa BS-4 125, Is the new activa 6G faster or slower?
Have u driven one?
som9729 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 17:34   #30
BHPian

[quote=som9729;5340142]Hi,

My queries

1) Compared to 5G, or to ur Activa BS-4 125, Is the new Activa 6G faster or slower?
Have u driven one?

2) Is it worth upgrading from a 5G STD to a 6G (or Activa BS-6 125), for improved suspension?

I have no other issues with my Activa 5G.
My ride is only in city.
Medium distance.
Once in a while I might travel 20-30km, but that's not regular.
Rest of the time, daily commute is less then that.

ModS - Unable to edit my above msg for some reason.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks