Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2020, 22:53   #31
BHPian

Re: Best scooter for a 65-year old senior citizen

Pardon me for saying this. Would a preowned Tata nano serve the purpose better from a safety perspective?

We can't really put a price on the safety and convenience a tin roof and 4 wheels offer above two wheels and no roof.
TorqMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 13:17   #32
BHPian

A two-wheeler for senior citizen IMO is not recommended at all. God forbid if he loses balance, a fall is certainly going to result in broken bones. If that happens in this age then its going to be a painful journey not only for the elderly but the whole family as well.
shaheenazk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 13:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

The OP has pointed out his FIL is a long time two wheeler user and pretty used to it. Just because he is 65 years old you want him to give up on what he wants to do. Why? I definitely understand most people’s concern for his well being, but also feel he should be allowed to live his own life.

I feel the Jupiter is the most comfortable in scooters with its gas charged rear shock absorbers and 12” wheels at both ends.

All the very best to your FIL, may he ride long and safe always.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 15th September 2020 at 13:48.
Cyborg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 17:44   #34
BHPian

I won't recommend an elderly to drive a two wheeler considering our road conditions and our traffic sense.
How about considering a preowned MS 800 or Alto or even a Nano? Much safer than a scooter any day.
If u still wish to go for a two wheeler I wound suggest going for a scooter which is light weight. It will be easier for him to maneuver and park on main stand. My list includes:

1. Hero Electric flash (Weight 69 Kg)
2. TVS Scooty pep (Weight 93 Kg)

Both are lightest in their respective segments

Last edited by bravo82in : 15th September 2020 at 17:45. Reason: typo: would in place of woudl
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 19:27   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
The OP has pointed out his FIL is a long time two wheeler user and pretty used to it. Just because he is 65 years old you want him to give up on what he wants to do. Why? I definitely understand most people’s concern for his well being, but also feel he should be allowed to live his own life.
I feel the Jupiter is the most comfortable in scooters with its gas charged rear shock absorbers and 12” wheels at both ends
Cheers
That's a good point. For example I won't myself agree to what my (future) son in law might say on these lines. I am only 45 but given my general state of excercise and fitness I don't see any reason to shut down by 60s. The inimitable Ravi sir is a good role model churning out travelogues from his Enfield Thunderbird bike even into his 70s. Ask him if he is really ok with a dumbed down option like Nani/Alto. Otherwise a sturdy bike like Jupiter or even a bullet is ok to ride. Only restriction is that Ultra lightweight bikes with small wheels are dangerous and hence do not recommend it for even elderly people.
venbas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 03:30   #36
BHPian

We underestimate our parents by the higher value of number their age denotes. At 57 after a heart attack and an angioplasty my father is as fit as ever.

It is the fear of an accident that has restricted his scooter usage to a less than 3 KM radius of our house and he uses a 3 years old Active 4g which serves him well.

Having said that, I have heard great things about the TVS Jupiter and have found it more VFM than the HMSI products.

My relative at the R&D team of TVS vouches for the product as he would earlier argue that Honda Unicorns are better than the Apaches on the longevity aspect even though apache was a product of his teams efforts.
Old 16th September 2020, 07:54   #37
BHPian

I presume, money and maintenance is not of any concern. With that being said, with his progressing age, the vehicle should be one that is easy to manage independently as in, parking, refueling and also how the riding stance plays into his posture.
Old 16th September 2020, 12:04   #38
BHPian

Forgot to recommend this - if you are able to rent scooters in your area, give your FIL the option to try out different scooters for an extended period, then you can let him decide.

I fully agree with others that you should let your FIL decide for himself. Though you could expand his list with your own favorites, the final decision should be his. You could also suggest a small car if that fits your budget.
Old 16th September 2020, 12:12   #39
Senior - BHPian

I see many suggesting a some small used car instead of a two wheeler. It is not a good option. Sure, something may be available for the cost of a bike or even cheaper. But it loses out on practicality and convenience when going to certain places. The initial cost may be equal, but the running and maintenance costs can't compare to a two wheeler. It is not for nothing that many people keep both in the house.Even the gentleman in question may already be having a car.

Last edited by Gansan : 16th September 2020 at 12:14.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 15:20   #40
Senior - BHPian

Go for TVS Jupiter eyes closed, best suspention setup with 12" wheels and spacious.More then everything else its the comfort and back that needs the priority.Had owned one for 6 years and can vouch for the comfort without a doubt with more then 75K odo.
As someone suggested dont go for that beige footboard variant classic i guess.Pain to maintain.
vijaythacker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 19:47   #41
BHPian

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. Finally have booked the TVS Jupiter Classic BS6 (Brown) one. Decided to take the jupiter considering all the reponses online for this one. Will be posting a short review after taking (y)
vinuchel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 16:56   #42
BHPian

Am on look out for a Scooter for my daughter ( first time user ).

Was insistent on having larger wheels - thus looked at Aprilia 125 options as well.
Though costing goes on the higher side with the anything like Access/Jupiter/NTorQ 125.
Besides the TVS & Aprilia also did explore options at Yamaha.

Converging on the Zest BS6 - Turquoise Blue finally ( not yet launched in Pune though. )
Or TVS Jupiter - Grey with Black Panels.

Was wondering why we do not have some option with Tyre Sizes like Honda Vision 110.
It has tyre size of 16" Front & 14" Rear and looks like a cool scooter.
https://www.bikes4sale.in/details/ho...on/vision-110/

Or wouldn't mind TVS launching some of their Indonesian models.
Reminds me of Honda Street!

For background to my insistence on larger wheels.
Have extensively used LML Vespa NV (Parked to restore) during my early career days.
Old 9th November 2020, 07:39   #43
BHPian

Thanks to all your replies and suggestions. Finally bought the Jupiter classic for my FIL. Onroad came to around Rs.93,000 (Thrissur,Kerala onroad) .
The ride quality and suspension is superb, compared to 2018 Activa in our home. Pickup is good for single rider and touching 70 is a breeze, but with pillion rider, the pickup drop is very much noticed.

Posting a detailed review soon....
vinuchel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 12:29   #44
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Activa : 20 years & 2 crore customers up

Anyone using both Activa and Jupiter can you please let me know which one is better in terms of ride and reliability? My FIL is about to retire and looking for an automatic scooter for local errands. Had a pep+ till now which is around 13 years old and he wishes to replace.

I suggested the Jupiter as it comes with disc variant which activa lacks. Pricing is almost similar and service availability is decent as well. TIA
Old 13th December 2020, 14:41   #45
BANNED

I would suggest that you consider the TVS Jupiter as:-

1.It has good Suspension, telescopic front & adjustable Gas Mono-shock at rear gives
absolute pleasure for riders.
2.Big (12 inch) wheels which provides more stability on high speeds.
3.It has Sync Break which comes from Basic variant and Disc Break on ZX & above.
4.Jupiter Classic has the most comfortable seat ever in entire scooter segment.
5.It has the Eco Mode & Power Mode indicator on speedometer which helps in improving
mileage with Gentle throttle.
6.You can place a full size helmet in Jupiter.
7.High beam flasher & Mobile charger are present in Jupiter.
8.Build quality is premium on variants.
9.Diamond cut alloy wheels.
10.External fuel lid that helps not to open the seat while refilling.
11.You can kick start the scooter without placing it on the centre stand.

It is thus, an unbeatable value for money.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks