Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2021, 12:53   #781
BHPian

Re: The Honda H'ness CB350, priced at Rs. 1.90 lakh (page 6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
On a lighter note, this experience gives new meaning to the phrase - Honda built a Royal Enfield competitor!
Hi,
Hurt my tummy laughing out loud at that remark. Having booked the CB350, appreciate your effort bringing this issue into the forum. I have met couple of owners who are currently running in their CB350 and touch wood they don't have this problem but will be alert. Got in touch with the Honda Sales manager and waiting for his call.

Still I feel Honda has to try hard to get to the point of matching the niggles compared with RE. Having owned 2 earlier which included engine rebuild within warranty, multiple other issues I don't think honda is there yet. Though I loved both the RE products thanks to a friendly neighbour hood mechanic and not the RE authorised service centre. Fingers crossed waiting for Sebrings feedback.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 14:06   #782
Senior - BHPian

Hi, I asked Girish and he knows of one more bike which had this issue. Besides these, I dont know of any other case
Quote:
Would you or Sebring know approximately how many owners in the Bangalore owners group have faced this problem? Hopefully it is not a widespread issue
My bike doesn't have this oil leak issue, or any issue as such (touches wood). However - Adding to that, two guys on the Whatsapp group are reporting paint peel issue on the engine (nothing on mine). You know, the black paint coating. Honda needs to look into this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Fingers crossed waiting for Sebrings feedback

Last edited by Sebring : 11th January 2021 at 14:33.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 20:51   #783
BHPian

Since "CB" stands for City Bike, let's make this bike more city-friendly. Got the Studds side tank installed. I think the colour matches really well. Another person who has the same colour bike told me it looks as if it's factory fitted. The box is pretty decent quality. Enough to get the job done. It carries my bike documents, gloves, helmet bag, balaclava, bungee cord, and that is using just 10% of its capacity.

Only downsize is that it significantly increases the width of the bike. Meaning I'll have to be extra careful when manoeuvring between car lanes, and parking will take more space too.

Also, got the SMK Force helmet. Not considering the colour of the bike, I think the colour of the helmet is super sexy.

Having done my fair bit of helmet research, I think SMK helmets are of great value for money. You get great quality comparable to the likes of Axor, LS2 and HJC, at a price range of 4-5k compared to 10-40k.

It is only behind in inner-lining quality and finish, and it comes with Pinlock 30 whereas the others come in Pinlock 70 and 100, or a full high quality anti-fog visor (which cost a bomb to replace btw).
The Honda H'ness CB350, priced at Rs. 1.90 lakh-img_4948.jpg

The Honda H'ness CB350, priced at Rs. 1.90 lakh-img_4949.jpg

The Honda H'ness CB350, priced at Rs. 1.90 lakh-img_4951.jpg

The Honda H'ness CB350, priced at Rs. 1.90 lakh-img_4952.jpg

The Honda H'ness CB350, priced at Rs. 1.90 lakh-img_4953.jpg
nutcracker is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 22:33   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
Since "CB" stands for City Bike, let's make this bike more city-friendly. Got the Studds side tank installed.
This side box is a perfect matching to your bike giving more into the looks, though they are very inconvenient for city-friendly use for the obvious reasons which you already mentioned. Will be of great use for you when doing a adventure touring trips.
Old 18th January 2021, 16:46   #785
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since "CB" stands for City Bike, let's make this bike more city-friendly. Got the Studds side tank installed. I think the colour matches really well. Another person who has the same colour bike told me it looks as if it's factory fitted. The box is pretty decent quality. Enough to get the job done. It carries my bike documents, gloves, helmet bag, balaclava, bungee cord, and that is using just 10% of its capacity.
That Studds side box looks to be pretty neat and will be really handy considering the bike doesnt have any under seat storage. How much did it cost? Also if you get a chance to fill it up with some heavy items, can you let us know how it impacts handling? Or if it doesnt?

Quote:
Having done my fair bit of helmet research, I think SMK helmets are of great value for money. You get great quality comparable to the likes of Axor, LS2 and HJC, at a price range of 4-5k compared to 10-40k.

It is only behind in inner-lining quality and finish, and it comes with Pinlock 30 whereas the others come in Pinlock 70 and 100, or a full high quality anti-fog visor (which cost a bomb to replace btw).
I wouldnt really compare HJC with SMK, they are at two completely different levels. SMK's quality is good for its price but is nowhere close to the fit and finish of HJCs mid range (Rs 10-15K) or high end (Rs 35K - 40K) helmets. SMK helmets do achieve the ECE safety rating but they dont have any SHARP rated helmets yet. MT helmets which are priced just above SMK, has 7 helmets that are either 4 and 5* SHARP rated helmets.

If SMK can achieve 4 and / or 5 star SHARP helmets at reasonable prices, then they can be compared with the big boys.

The Honda H'ness CB350, priced at Rs. 1.90 lakh-2.jpg
SMK doesnt even feature on the list of companies tested

Name:  3.PNG
Views: 3387
Size:  90.3 KB
MT helmets tested
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Hi, I asked Girish and he knows of one more bike which had this issue. Besides these, I dont know of any other case

My bike doesn't have this oil leak issue, or any issue as such (touches wood). However - Adding to that, two guys on the Whatsapp group are reporting paint peel issue on the engine (nothing on mine). You know, the black paint coating. Honda needs to look into this.
I hope girishv has some pictures of the issue on his bike. I checked with an enthusiast who owns the CB350 regarding this oil leak issue and he mentioned that he was aware of the issue with these bikes and had seen some pictures.

He also mentioned that there is an active Honda CB350 owners group on Facebook that has owners reviews (both positive and negative). I remember seeing some paint peel issue from the console mentioned by an owner. So for any prospective buyers of this great bike, please do check on the Facebook group as well, to get a full picture of the pros and cons.
neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 17:58   #786
BHPian

Quote:
That Studds side box looks to be pretty neat and will be really handy considering the bike doesnt have any under seat storage. How much did it cost? Also if you get a chance to fill it up with some heavy items, can you let us know how it impacts handling? Or if it doesnt?
It's MRP is ₹ 1350, I got it for ₹ 1250. Labor charges were ₹ 100. It's weight is indeed very light. It came with clamps that were fitted very conveniently without any modifications/drilling/welding done to the bike. Weirdly though, it came with just one key. The other models by Studds came with 2 keys.

Will load it up with weight and update on the handling performance.

With respect to how it severely increases the width of the bike, I noticed today that it is actually within the line of the handlebar, which is a good thing when manoeuvring in tight spaces.

Quote:
I wouldnt really compare HJC with SMK, they are at two completely different levels. SMK's quality is good for its price but is nowhere close to the fit and finish of HJCs mid range (Rs 10-15K) or high end (Rs 35K - 40K) helmets. SMK helmets do achieve the ECE safety rating but they dont have any SHARP rated helmets yet. MT helmets which are priced just above SMK, has 7 helmets that are either 4 and 5* SHARP rated helmets.
Thanks for sharing this. My analysis came from thorough visual inspection of the other brands versus SMK. Do you think, in these conditions, I would really need a SHARP rated helmet? Isn't ECE enough?
Old 18th January 2021, 18:27   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Weirdly though, it came with just one key. The other models by Studds came with 2 keys.
It comes with 2 keys. Your shopkeeper has given you one key. You may like to have a look at following video (around 2:20 minutes, same model but a different color). By the way, it is looking very good.

Last edited by NH08 : 18th January 2021 at 18:28.
Old 18th January 2021, 18:50   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH08 View Post
It comes with 2 keys. Your shopkeeper has given you one key.
Well actually that's what the shopkeeper told me, that this blue one only has one key. It usually comes with 2 keys.
Old 18th January 2021, 19:32   #789
BHPian

I am also thinking of getting one (black one) for mine CB350 after you have clarified that the width problem is not there. My main issue at present is to keep gloves and cleaning cloth somewhere.

This one from Studds looks sturdy.

Last edited by NH08 : 18th January 2021 at 19:38.
Old 21st January 2021, 12:22   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Please elaborate on the above point Sebring. Do you mean the suspension takes around a 1000 kms to bed in and then becomes comfortable. I read about some owners talking about softening the rear suspension during the first service because it was hard/harsh.

Thank you.

Cheers
I too was worried about the initial feedbacks about the hard suspension setting.But its actually quite plush actually.i weigh 70kgs and do not feel the ride to be bone jarring or harsh.Its just fantastic on highways
Sam.k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 13:37   #791
BHPian

Re: Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review

Did a 450kms one day trip during Pongal holidays half of which was a completely wet and soggy ride.These are my impressions just before the 1st service

1. Its difficult to keep the bike below 80kmph on highways. I found myself
doing 90+ invariably most of the time
2. I did bursts of speeds above 100kmph and the bike felt smoother post 100.
3. Riding the bike in closed streets or underpasses is eargasmic.The exhaust
note and blips just rumble.
4.There will be times where you will adjust your riding just to hear the long
stroke sedate exhaust note :-)
5.The brakes are fantastic.I usually panic while braking in wet conditions,but
not so anymore.The ABS is very well calibrated and confidence
inspiring
6. Did not feel any body or back pain whatsoever after the ride even on the
standard saddle
7. The LED headlights are pretty much useless in Rainy conditions

The Honda H'ness CB350, priced at Rs. 1.90 lakh-20210114_102247.jpg

The Honda H'ness CB350, priced at Rs. 1.90 lakh-20210114_102046.jpg

The Honda H'ness CB350, priced at Rs. 1.90 lakh-20210114_102149.jpg

The Honda H'ness CB350, priced at Rs. 1.90 lakh-20210114_110738.jpg
Sam.k is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 17:19   #792
BHPian

I got the service indicator icon flashing after I crossed 750 kms. I had already get mine serviced, so icon flashing was irritating. I came across this video and this solved my problem:

NH08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 20:47   #793
Senior - BHPian

In keeping with their monthly 'ride outs' Honda is hosting a ride this month as well. This one is for Bangalore CB 350 Owners, and their co-rider. No vehicle manufacturer has been this active
Attached Thumbnails
The Honda H'ness CB350, priced at Rs. 1.90 lakh-screenshot-20210122-8.43.58-pm.png  

Sebring is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 22:41   #794
BHPian

180 kms ride. That is quite a distance. I am now hoping that Gurgaon Big Wing may also organise another ride, this time longer.

Waking up and riding in this severe chill is such a thrill.
NH08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 07:27   #795
BHPian

I was looking for a city bike, having just sold my Z900, as I was not doing justice to it. I am a bit of a Honda fan-boy and have got myself the CB350. I have owned a RE Thunderbird 500 in the past and did not like the styling of the Metero 350, although it comes with a better chassis and a new engine compared to its predecessor. I prefer the UJM retro classic design of the Honda.

My shortlist was between 2 colours the dlx pro blue and white and the dlx metallic red. Ultimately settled for the red, as it had that retro look and well, the colour looks gorgeous as you can see for yourselves. I was not too bothered about the blue tooth connectivity and having the extra switches on the controls, so it was more of a - 'I love this colour', type decision. John's Honda Thrissur, Kerala was the dealership I got the bike from. Although the dealership was busy as hell, they were efficient and had a dedicated SA for the CB350. The bike was getting a lot of interest from people and test rides were given out freely. They were sending out the test ride bike with a staff as pillion, but in my case since I was already a Honda Africa twin owner, they allowed me to take the bike solo for an extended ride. The buying experience was smooth and the whole process between paying booking to delivery took 1 week, as they had the red, black and green ones in stock. The waiting time for the dual tone dlx pro version was quoted as anywhere upto 6 weeks. They blamed it on some production line issue and upgrade at the factory. I have had the bike for just over 2 weeks now, have done around 500 kms.
My initial impressions are as follows.
It sure is an attention grabber and turns heads at signals and when parked. The UJM styling is spot on. The exhaust note is top class, lacks the RE thump, but has a good character. I guess it will get more bass-ier with time.
The gearing could be improved, it has a very short first gear, the 2nd and 3rd are tall and can go easily upto 80 in 3rd, but takes sometime to get there. The 4th and 5th are ok to cruise at 90-110. I have not taken the bike over 100 kmph, being the running in period and what not.
The clutch is very light and a joy to use in city traffic. I have been getting a few false neutrals when shifting, maybe that will improve after oil change.
The bike loves to be kept in higher RPMs. The brakes are good for the capacity and power. While it is a great bike to cruise in a relaxed manner, it could run out of steam on wide open highways, if you want to do higher speed runs. But, then this bike is not intended for that.

Quote:
Since "CB" stands for City Bike, let's make this bike more city-friendly. Got the Studds side tank installed.
Only downsize is that it significantly increases the width of the bike. Meaning I'll have to be extra careful when manoeuvring between car lanes, and parking will take more space too.
The box looks very nice and its good that you got almost the same blue as on the bike. It almost looks like an OEM accessory. I too am keen to get one, only thing holding me back is the interference with the aesthetics of the bike. But, I guess practicality might triumph over the aesthetics fairly soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post

1. Its difficult to keep the bike below 80kmph on highways. I found myself
doing 90+ invariably most of the time
2. I did bursts of speeds above 100kmph and the bike felt smoother post 100.
3. Riding the bike in closed streets or underpasses is eargasmic.The exhaust
note and blips just rumble.
4.There will be times where you will adjust your riding just to hear the long
stroke sedate exhaust note :-)
You have said it. I feel exactly the same. The initial gears are weak and slow to pick up, but the bike likes to be in the over 80 kmph band. It could cruise easily around 90-100 comfortably in the top 5th gear, with the added feel of that amazing exhaust note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
In keeping with their monthly 'ride outs' Honda is hosting a ride this month as well. This one is for Bangalore CB 350 Owners, and their co-rider. No vehicle manufacturer has been this active
Wow, that is great. I hope Honda Kochi/ Thrissur / Kerala organises something similar.

Here are some pictures of my bike.

The gorgeous metallic red paint, truly retro classic looking.

The Honda H'ness CB350, priced at Rs. 1.90 lakh-img_20210110_074547.jpg
The Honda H'ness CB350, priced at Rs. 1.90 lakh-img_20210110_074540.jpg
The Honda H'ness CB350, priced at Rs. 1.90 lakh-img_20210110_074555.jpg

The Honda brothers. My adventure tourer and the city bike.
The Honda H'ness CB350, priced at Rs. 1.90 lakh-img_20210122_071821__01.jpg

I am hoping that Honda will launch a twin cylinder version of the bike, like a CB500 - 650, with the same retro styling. That sure surely be the ultimate one to have and would truly give RE a run for their money. Fingers crossed. If that happens then I will be the first one at the showroom to place an order for it.

Cheerio
alphadog is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks