Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2020, 17:21   #1
BHPian

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread

Read about the Yamax 400 this morning and decided to post and came here to find that the older threads were dead and not inclusive of bikes, and therefore this thread.

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-zombomeme-23092020121718.jpg

The Yamax 400
This is straight up a clone of the Kawasaki Z1000 and is produced in Morocco.It runs a 400cc parallel twin with a top speed of roughly 155 kmph and costs 38,900 Moroccan Dirhams.

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-z1000cloneyamaxz4002.jpg

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-z1000cloneyamaxz400.jpg

Attachment 2058481

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-2016kawasakiz1000review12.jpg

Benelli 700cc Streetfighter

Yamax is not the only company “inspired” by the Kawasaki Z1000. Benelli too have their own version of the Z1000, although it is not is production as yet. Rumoured to be a 700cc streetfighter sharing the engine with the CFMoto 700.

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-benelli-z1000.png

Benellis have a special significance in this thread considering their contribution, which takes us to the next motorcycle.

Benelli 402S

This bike looks like a baby Ducati Diavel X. It has a 399cc parallel twin making 39bhp and 35 Nm of torque.

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-8pa69l0ccpwz.jpg

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-402s.png

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-benelli7_g.jpg

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-ducatixdiavel2.jpg

Motrac Magic Dragon

The Chinese manufacturer Motrac has been rumoured to be coming out with a new motorcycle with a liquid-cooled v-twin engine, making around 65 bhp of power and 75 Nm of peak torque, resembling the Ducati Diavel 1260.

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-kmteilpg_motracvtwincruiser_625x300_06_august_20.jpg

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-bp73n7og_motracvtwincruiserdesign_625x300_06_august_20.jpg

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-06ducatidiavel1260.jpg

Bajaj Dominar 400
This may be a bit of a reach but I must mention the Bajaj Dominar, which has definitely taken design cues from the Diavel, especially with the dual display and the tank.

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-xdiaveldominar400meetupcomparison13.jpg

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-xdiaveldominar400meetupcomparison17.jpg

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-dominar.jpg

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-2018ducatidiavelcarbon2.jpg

Benelli 752S
This motorcycle from Benelli is styled similar to the Ducati Monster. It is powered by a 754cc liquid cooled twin producing about 77hp and 67 Nm of torque.

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-benelli752s2.jpg

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-benelli752simages1.jpg

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-2019benelli752s05.jpg

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-2018ducatimonster8212018lg.jpg

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-monster.jpg

Benelli TRK 502

The adventure motorcycle offered by Benelli come with a 500cc twin producing about 47hp and 46Nm of torque. The bike has resemblances to the Ducati Multistrada, especially at the front.

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-benellitrk502profile21_aqasqo.png

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-2016benellitrk502.jpg

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-ducatimultistrada120_1600x0w.jpg

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-2017ducatimultistrada950fastfacts9.jpg

Moto S450
This motorcycle is unabashedly similar to the new BMW S1000RR, even copying colour schemes and sporting a similar logo. It comes equipped with a 450 cc, fuel-injected, parallel-twin engine that makes 24 bhp 22 Nm of peak torque and sells for about 50 million Vietnamese Dong.

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-motos450bmws1000rrfakenhaitrungquocmotosaigon1.jpg

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-motos450bmws1000rrfakenhaitrungquocmotosaigon2.jpg

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-motos450bmws1000rrfakenhaitrungquocmotosaigon8.jpg

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-motos450bmws1000rrfakenhaitrungquocmotosaigon3.jpg

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-bmws1000rrstaticscaled5412x_.jpg

The following are the links to some of the previous threads.

Car Designs copied by the Chinese (Car Designs copied by the Chinese)

Royal Indian Bolt 100cc - A copycat Mini Bullet for 60 - 70k! (Royal Indian Bolt 100cc - A copycat Mini Bullet for 60 - 70k!)

I will expand on this thread as I find more such vehicles. Please add what you find too. Thanks!

Disclaimer: The images used, belong to their respective owners.
adwaith is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 18:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread

Kawi & Bonnie reminds Claudie & Bonnie for some, but for motorheads, it's a different world altogether
The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-k.jpg

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-bonneville.jpg
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 20:11   #3
BHPian

re: The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Kawi & Bonnie reminds Claudie & Bonnie for some, but for motorheads, it's a different world altogether
Attachment 2058497

Attachment 2058498

This also reminds of the resemblance between the Interceptor and the Bonneville especially between the Baker Express colour and the cream and red Bonnie.

I heard that the Interceptor is based off the older model of it's namesake, but there is a resemblance nevertheless.
Attached Thumbnails
The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-reinterceptor65013.jpeg  

adwaith is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 08:37   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread

Mod Note: Thread moved to the Motorcycle forum. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 08:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
This also reminds of the resemblance between the Interceptor and the Bonneville especially between the Baker Express colour and the cream and red Bonnie.

I heard that the Interceptor is based off the older model of it's namesake, but there is a resemblance nevertheless.
W800 & T800 share nearly the same engine size in addition to appearance; means, more copied
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 09:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Every genre has certain set parameters on how a motorcycle should visually look.

All classics will have exposed engine, frame, flat seat and an oval headlight. There is only so much you can do with the tank, color scheme and exhaust shape. The actual difference is in the way they all ride and not how similar they look.

Coming to street nakeds, I think all the street fighters look the same barring the different head light and small cuts and curves here and there. Very few manufacturers can claim complete design originality for a particular model.

I mean if you have to get inspired and copy, do it from the best.

Suzuki is aping its own big bikes like the GSX1000 and the Intruder and selling it in the 150cc category. They look hideous and so out of place, but if you can give a somewhat similar look at the fraction of the cost and there is a market for it, why not.

I think the Yamax 400 looks like a great copy for what it is. Of course, its going to be a cheap ride and probably not worth your money but thats a given. You spend peanuts, you get monkeys.

At some point 'almost' every motorcycle is inspired by something already on sale. The operative word here being Almost.
bigron is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 09:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
At some point 'almost' every motorcycle is inspired by something already on sale. The operative word here being Almost.
Yes, otherwise the mass psychology doesn't work.

OT - Here's an example of a motorcycle company whose design were hardly copied. And when masses don't prefer the product, the copy-cat job has no value here
The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-b.jpg
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 09:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Every genre has certain set parameters on how a motorcycle should visually look.

All classics will have exposed engine, frame, flat seat and an oval headlight. There is only so much you can do with the tank, color scheme and exhaust shape. The actual difference is in the way they all ride and not how similar they look.

You spend peanuts, you get monkeys.

Totally agree with every word. On a lighter note, in the context of the bit in bold, curious what you have to say of the RE wannabes?
Old 24th September 2020, 18:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Coming to street nakeds, I think all the street fighters look the same barring the different head light and small cuts and curves here and there. Very few manufacturers can claim complete design originality for a particular model.

I mean if you have to get inspired and copy, do it from the best.

Suzuki is aping its own big bikes like the GSX1000 and the Intruder and selling it in the 150cc category. They look hideous and so out of place, but if you can give a somewhat similar look at the fraction of the cost and there is a market for it, why not.

I think the Yamax 400 looks like a great copy for what it is. Of course, its going to be a cheap ride and probably not worth your money but thats a given. You spend peanuts, you get monkeys.

I absolutely agree on the part about the classics. But not foe the others. There is definitely going to be similarities but the ones I posted, especially the Benelli's. They have such big resemblances especially the one looking like the Monster. The Monster has very unique lines, unlike any other bike.

The point about Suzuki stands for Yamaha too. All the YZFs look so similar right from 150 all they to the litre class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Yes, otherwise the mass psychology doesn't work.

OT - Here's an example of a motorcycle company whose design were hardly copied. And when masses don't prefer the product, the copy-cat job has no value here
Attachment 2058612
Which motorcycle is this and which one does is ape?

Last edited by adwaith : 24th September 2020 at 18:50.
adwaith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 19:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Which motorcycle is this and which one does is ape?
EBR 1190Sx
Erik Buell Racing. A very capable but flawed machine.

Last edited by bigron : 24th September 2020 at 19:17.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 00:27   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Moto S450
This motorcycle is unabashedly similar to the new BMW S1000RR, even copying colour schemes and sporting a similar logo. It comes equipped with a 450 cc, fuel-injected, parallel-twin engine that makes 24 bhp 22 Nm of peak torque and sells for about 50 million Vietnamese Dong.
It's a shame that a 450cc parallel twin makes just 24 bhp/22 nm. They could've managed these figures easily with a 200-250cc engine. At least that would return a decent fuel economy. Wastage of cubic capacity.

Even Royal Enfield used to have better numbers than this with their 500cc single (more than a decade old engine).
TwerkyC0ffee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 08:37   #12
BHPian

I think Benelli's copycat game can be attributed to its current parents - The Quijang group. Once we know that, it's not difficult to guess how their design 'inspiration' comes along. I think their claim of being an Italian motorcycle brand itself should be refuted.

Though I've seen many Benellis on our roads here, their design similarities to Ducati never really struck me. But now that you've compared them side-by-side, the similarities are quite shocking. Classic dragon playbook.

Here are a couple of other examples-

CF Moto 600 NK
The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-eidercfmoto650nk.jpg

Strikingly similar to the erstwhile Kawasaki ER-6n
The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-er6n.jpg

Wonjan WJ300 Space Ranger
The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-space-ranger.jpg

Such a sad ripoff, from the iconic Panigale
The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-pani.jpg

Disclaimer - Images used here belong to their respective owners.
Vibhav-Van is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 10:02   #13
BHPian

Some of these copies actually look good aesthetically,
especially the BMW copy!
By the way, people copy us Indians also
Presenting Gulsar - definitely less "male" than pulsar lol (image courtesy google search)
Attached Thumbnails
The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-images-3.jpeg  

Last edited by Arjun Bharadwaj : 25th September 2020 at 10:04.
Arjun Bharadwaj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 10:39   #14
BHPian

Yamax 400 appears to be a convenient blend of two major players of motor cycling world, logo and name copied from Yamaha and design from Kawasaki. For a moment I thought it was being sold by Yamaha and then on second look found it to be Yamax. Bajaj sells its pulsar 200 NS under Kawasaki brand - Kawasaki Rouser 200NS. No copying this case but collaboration of sorts from old friends.

While at home I think latest Bajaj Chetak has picked up design cues from Vespa and Yamaha scooters, TVS has tried playing nostalgia card by designing their Radeon to look like Splendor and I thought their Jupiter looks quite similar to Activa and does good numbers while their original product Wego although being a good product (Jupiter has he same engine and underpinnings) is not being sold anymore.
samee_arian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 11:08   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

I fully agree with bigron here, each genre has styling elements that are expected and there are only that many ways that you design a fairing or a round headlight or a single side swingarm etc.

That said, some of the examples listed here are blatant copies while others are similar or share some design elements at best. I would also give Benelli some leeway, their bikes are not necessarily Ducati-lite in styling, though they might have some design elements in common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhav-Van View Post
Here are a couple of other examples-

CF Moto 600 NK
Attachment 2058928

Strikingly similar to the erstwhile Kawasaki ER-6n
Attachment 2058925
I actually thought the CF Moto looked more like a big Dominar than the ER6N!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhav-Van View Post
Wonjan WJ300 Space Ranger
Attachment 2058927

Such a sad ripoff, from the iconic Panigale
Attachment 2058929
Now this is a clear cut copy. But it isnt based on the Panigale V4 which is a recent model. It is based on the iconic Ducati 848 / 1198.

The Motorcycle Copycat / Lookalike Thread-unnamed-1.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks