Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2021, 20:19   #16
BHPian

Re: Suspension Upgrades for the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twins

May not be specific to the 650 twins but I found this breakdown useful:

shyamg28 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 14:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Suspension Upgrades for the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twins

Just saw this thread as it was mentioned on the main 650 twins thread.

The suspension is one of main issues on these bikes. I have been happy with way2speed front suspension kit so far, been a while since i installed them. Its got preload adjuster as a part of the kit, and i have tried playing with increasing the preload and found the ride to get jarring and stiff. So the preload setting on the front is set to softest and works well for my usage. its still harder then stock setup.

The main issue is the rear suspension and there are hardly any options except for very expensive YSS / OHLINS. I can visibly see the difference between how the front end and rear end goes over an obstacle like a pothole. Front suspension seems much more sorted and comfortable and in control, where as the rear feels either too jarring on the body or too bouncy, depending on the preload on the rear. I have tried various preload setting from softest to hardest. The soft setting makes it too bouncy and hard setting is hard on the body.

Way2speed has a spring kit for rear suspension. Its just the springs they provide which has to be used on the stock rear shocks. I have heard positive feedback on the same but i feel its too expensive. About 12k for just a pair of springs is something i am not able to convince myself to get, so far.

The rear suspension on the 650 is of 360mm length, which is same as GT535. One person in Delhi is installed the GT535 pialoi on his interceptor and is happy with the result. It just had to be mounted upside down, which is not an issue. I have been looking for a pair of piaoli but they are all out of stock, even in Chennai.

So the search for improving the rear suspension continues. I was eying the suspension on the yezdi scrambler and its possibility. It looks long visually (can anyone confirm if its 360mm in length , from eye to eye). There is one person who uses a rtr160 suspension (360mm length) on his Gt, and says it works for single rider. With improved suspension on the 650 twins, it will be a much capable bike to handle Indian A, B & C class roads or even lack of roads.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 14th February 2022 at 14:12.
nasirkaka is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 02:43   #18
BHPian

Hi all

Here's my take on the YSS front suspension upgrade kit.
This was done about 2 years back and am quite happy with it overall though it didn't resolve all my peeves with the stock setup.

I'm not very technically inclined so apologies upfront for my layman descriptions.

Reasons for the upgrade (in no particular order):

1. Found the front to be loosing its marbles at medium speeds on roads with the surface tar layer embedded with chunks of little rocks..how is this kind of surface useful anyways?
Similar behavior on small loose pebbles and even the white thick paint strips on the roads.

2. Slow "head weave" kinda motion (sorry that's the best I can describe it, kinda like a Buffalo shaking its head in a very slow motion) at triple digit speeds when the front tyre went over any undulations eg difference in level of the tarmac (those roads with half side freshly tarred and the other pending for the next elections anyone?)
It felt as if the suspension legs were getting compressed unequally somehow, quite unnerving at those speeds.

3. Thunking/clunking noise from the front end while negotiating little potholes.

4. 35K odd lying around that I saved over the civvy street price as I'd gotten it through CSD, and the missus didn't know about

5. Watching too many Stuart Fillingham videos on repeat at ungodly hours.

6. No rebound damping available with the stock setup. I would be in danger of flying off if a camouflaged bump caught me off guard at some speed. It bucked like one cheesed off bronco.

7. Just for kicks...I've been known to fiddle/tinker with household stuff since long (radios, steam Irons,sewing machines etc ,you get the drift right?) to see what makes it work the way it did, mostly ending with disastrous consequences.
I once destroyed a cherished radio because a friend told me that radios have a big magnet inside them..there was indeed one but putting it back was another story all together.

So, got in touch with a kerala based supplier by the name speedmottorad (fans of BMW mottorrad?) and they sent it over for a total damage of 26 k odd..shipping included.
It comes with a small 100 ml 15W oil container but that's not really useful as one leg takes in about 410 ml of fluid (per YSS).
So got 2 Liqui moly 15 W 500 ml bottles as well.

Installation: Stuart Fillingham videos on the same subject are excellent for dummies like myself, I must've watched them at least 30 times end to end.

Tools: Torque wrench (must), spanners, container for waste oil, rags,soft head hammer,child & frisky dog proof working area(must again).

Where it makes me smile:

1. All marbles are held tight, firmly where they belong. It no longer feels all over the place.
2. The head weave is mitigated to a considerable extent, still there though.
3. I like the adjustability it brings, if I'm in the mood of some lazy riding I can soften or firm up the front if in for some leaning and brisk progress.
3. Bike no longer threatens to buck me off its back if I happen to hit a bump at speed, impressive rebound damping.
4. The satisfaction of a job done right..ah!
5. Did I say I like the taut feel at the handlebars?

What didn't turn out as well:

1. The thunk/clunk is still there. Maybe increased a bit too. I've made peace with it for now.
2. After re -installing the legs and patting myself abundantly on the back, I found that it was difficult to reach the adjuster tops as they were directly under the handlebars!!
Trying to use the ball type smaller end of Allen keys started scouring the aluminum tops, so stopped.

Facepalm moment. But you know what they say about the night being the darkest just before the dawn?

"Hmm..seems we need some handle bar risers now."

"You anyways wanted to change the riding triangle na, maybe it's destiny?"

"Anyways your b'day is approaching. You could ask for the Motone up & over risers as a gift, you already have 9k left over from the CSD deal, (which no one knows about woohoo!) and with the balance you could get more stuff to put on!" (Smiles crookedly and pats the back some more, mods please consider introducing an emoji for expressing this emotion).

So I ended up putting on the Motone risers(excellent again) AND importing an expensive LED headlight, story for another time maybe.

Is it worth it?

Well if you find the stock front too soft for your taste, this is an excellent choice. Though I'm not sure how much weightage to give to the stiffer springs or the thicker oil. The rebound damping is excellent too.
Don't have much photographs as presently I'm out of India, bike is gathering dust at Chandigarh.
Attached Thumbnails
Suspension Upgrades for the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twins-happiness-comes-small-packages-.jpg  

Vtach is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 23:28   #19

Has anyone tried TEC rear suspension ? Looking for feedback, as it seems like one of the very few affordable options for interceptor.

https://www.tecbikeparts.com/product...ength-feature/
Old 28th February 2023, 19:41   #20
BANNED

Are there any options to make Aprilia SR 150 front suspension softer? Mine is the first gen SR150, and it's a great scooter except for the extremely hard suspension. Any suggestions / advices?
Old 28th February 2023, 20:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchit223 View Post
Has anyone tried TEC rear suspension ? Looking for feedback, as it seems like one of the very few affordable options for interceptor.
I have their all black lowering gas shocks sitting in a box. Haven't had the time yet to fit them to my GT. Real world users (not reviewers) have rated them very highly.

One point to note is that when I tried getting a pair from TEC Bike Parts UK, they told me that the product was already discontinued due to continuing supply chain / production issues. Fortunately, I was able to procure a pair from TEC Bike Parts USA. Therefore, if you intend to get a pair, I suggest moving fast.

My bike is in lying in boxes now and won't be ready to ride for another 5 ~ 6 weeks. Hence I am not in a position to give you any immediate feedback. Sorry about that.
Old 14th December 2023, 12:16   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
ANDREANI FORK CARTRIDGE KIT - £395.00

There is an offering for the 650 twins from Andreani, which is a lesser known brand in India. I know some KTM RC 390 owners have opted for Andreani fork cartridge kits and are very happy with the performance.
Hey Neil,

I recently got the Andreani forks after looking at your posts and reading up further about it. It perfectly fits all the things I wanted as a suspension upgrade on the GT. However, the fork install guide says that I need to reduce the bushing of the inner tube in pic 8 and 9. ()

Their support hasn't been the best. So will you please help me guide how much do I need to machine out and from what end of the tube?

I'd be very grateful!
Old 14th December 2023, 12:34   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
ANDREANI FORK CARTRIDGE KIT - £395.00

There is an offering for the 650 twins from Andreani, which is a lesser known brand in India. I know some KTM RC 390 owners have opted for Andreani fork cartridge kits and are very happy with the performance.
Hey Neil,

I recently got the Andreani forks after looking at your posts and reading up further about it. It perfectly fits all the things I wanted as a suspension upgrade on the GT. However, the fork install guide says that I need to reduce the bushing of the inner tube in pic 8 and 9. (https://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/me...manual_no2.pdf)

Their support hasn't been the best. So will you please help me guide how much do I need to machine out and from what end of the tube?

I'd be very grateful!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks