Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2020, 17:05   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Suspension Upgrades for the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twins

Hi All,
Pulling in some useful posts by different bhpians on suspension upgrade (options) on their respective Interceptors/Continental GT bikes on a separate thread so that the feedback from these initial upgrades does not get lost amidst the general posts.

YSS Front Suspension Kit - Price ~25k
link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast_of_Burden View Post
Initial impressions from a friend who has had the INT for more than a year. Had ordered both YSS front and rear before the lockdown but only installed over the weekend.

I quote:

First impressions after a short 20km city ride,
Front is completely sorted
Bad road handling is very predictable and soaks out bumps easily, I think I can reduce the compression settings some more.
Steering is very easy and I can switch on and off road nicely
Took a short couple of corners and line is completely traceable and accurate throughout the cornering.
After this it needs a bit of trial and error fine adjustments.

My vote : absolutely worth it.
Quote:
Some more feedback from my friend

I quote my friend:

"Short review on YSS after my regular ride.
1. INT has become completely light/feels totally light post the upgrade.
2. Steering is very accurate. Braking is progressive and very graceful as opposed to a dive it used to do before.
3. Both front and rear are very tractable and they follow a line in any corner.
4. Same patches which used to throw me around abruptly before are handled very graciously.
5. Bike is completely predictable and holds a precise line.
6. Even those curves that I thought were too tight and had to do mid corner corrections don't need any such thing anymore, cornering feels like a wanted thing again. As a result cornering speeds are atleast pushed by 20kmph.
7. bad road handling is a total improvement.
8. Bike is now providing very accurate feedback from the road surface and gentle corrections are immediately seen in direction changes.
9. I did minor corrections to Compression and rebound settings in the middle of the ride and its effect is immediately seen in cornering and handling prowess.
10. So, now I can switch between a comfort setting vs rider intensive setting and it does work.
11. Rear trying to pass the front feeling is completely absent now.

Due to rain I didn't take cornering to too hard all the time but I can see that I will be able to easily handle the mid corner surprises and on and off bad patches and roads. Bike stays in line. I had made rebound damping soft and the bike completely isolated me from the bad patch but handling suffered, now I have made it slightly harder and it is in a perfect balance.

Overall I don't know if it is worth 90K but I feel INT experience now is the way I wanted it. I think rear and front both are needed they are doing their job, any one will leave the other department in not such a great companion."
Quote:
I just got back from from a fantastic ride on Magadi road. Perhaps the best string of fast sweepers near Bangalore. Road surface is mostly good but it's bad in parts, something my ZMA dismisses with utter disdain. It's the undisputed bad road king. So I showed up on my trusty ZMA still on oriiginal tyres and chain with 27k kms on the odo, talk about frugal motorcycling. But I digress. This was my first experience with anything that might be called exotic suspension.

Magadi road is a pretty good test of a bike's handling, with conditions varying constantly and plenty of elevation changes thrown in.

Most people by now what I think of the INTs handing. I had surmised that the underdamped suspension has the bike doing a pogo stick mid corner. The bike has a tendency to stand up and I think it suffers pronounced understeer as well as a tendency to run wide mid corner. The front end is vague as well and feels floaty. The ride was Okay in a straight line. But the reality of Indian riding conditions is that you need a bit of margin to correct your line, absorb a bump and not lose composure. To be honest, as good as the value is for the overall package, it left me a bit underwhelmed. Harris' Engineering has a track record that did not seem manifest here.

I will say this at the outset, the handling is transformed. To truly appreciate the potential of the INT it needs this suspension upgrade, it is an absolute must have. It's that good and the transformation that significant. Some riding impresions, a lot of it is an echo of my friend's earlier feedback.

1. Bike feels nimble, you feel the heft in a nice way. It's a retro motorcycle, not a supersport at the end of the day. Direction changes are totally intuitive, no need for sweating line and length. I felt a far greater sense of control, using more of the throttle to place the bike where I wanted.

2. It feels planted inspiring a lot of confidence, now there is no trepidation when approaching a corner.

3. Tires were stock, mechanical grip has gone up dramatically. Tires weren't on my mind.

4. The buzzkill of understeer is gone. No standing up or running wide. It feels very natural.

The ride hasn't suffered one bit despite its newfound handling prowess. I found the bike genuinely playful. AEW exhausts sound amazing. Engine braking in any of the top 3 gears on the overrun is accompanied by a very satisfying burble. Bike is very civil and docile at 80 in sixth, it's still burbling at this point in the rev band. Post this it starts getting a move on and a little bit of the Japanese character comes in. Unlike my Zma which is at its limit on highways, the INT settles into a nice lope. I like this bike's double personality. The upgrade seat is hard, but the ergos are far better suited to me compared to the Continental GT.

On a road like this the ZMA is no slouch, it's light and forgiving. My friend had no trouble keeping up, while I was being a bit cautious on the INT. He on the other hand could easily run away from me when I was riding the ZMA. The INT is geniune fun and also full of character, the suspension upgrade just lets you enjoy the bike to it's full measure. But for the stock suspension bits, you realize what a great package it already is. It is very good but also a bit disappointing, RE needs to do something about the suspension to make the twins world class.

@Beast_of_Burden - please add any additional feedback/points you have.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 30th September 2020 at 17:19.
ninjatalli is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 17:06   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Suspension Upgrades for the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twins

Way2Speed Front Suspension Kit - Price ~13k

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Yes, hes been trying and experimenting for a while now and only trying to market it now. Intial offer price was some 10k but but he intends to sell the entire kit for 13K. Its not that cheap either, but the YSS front suspension kit costs clost to 28K with installation. Lets see how it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
I am getting a front suspension kit from Way2Speed which comprises of:
* Custom front fork progressive springs, Will get two sets of varied hardness, can try both in tandom and see which suits better if any.
* Preload adjuster cum fork extender. The collar of this preload adjuster cap is longer so can raise the triple t by 5 to 15 mm, if desired.
* spacer tube for the spring
* Dampner rod extender - will give 10mm extra suspension travel.
* SAE grade 10W fork oil with some additives to prevent loss of viscosity with heat.

Now, Melwin (from way2speed) is comeup with this kit basis his experimentation for a while now. Some people have already installed this kit and have positive things to say. So i am hoping the finer calculations have been taken care of either in theory or during practicals. The Kit has a standard progressive spring but he is willing to customize basis riders specific requirement too. As a part of this suspension kit mod, he recommends increasing the dia of the ports on dampner rod by 1mm (not mandatory though). This is something which seems irreversible and i am not sure how easy it would be to just get oem dampner rod incase i need to revert back to stock. So wanted to get a idea on how critical this is and whether to go ahead or not.
@nasirkaka - It'll be interesting to hear your feedback post the installation. Do update when you can.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 30th September 2020 at 17:19.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 17:12   #3
BANNED

re: Suspension Upgrades for the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twins

YSS Front suspension upgrade - ~₹23,000

YSS Rear Suspension upgrade - ~₹61,000

Ohlins' had launched suspension kit for the 650 Twins:

Front suspension kit - ₹18,900 - LINK

The rear suspension kit - ₹Rs. 75,000 - LINK 1 & LINK 2

Last edited by a4anurag : 30th September 2020 at 17:28. Reason: Added Ohlins links
a4anurag is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 21:54   #4
BANNED

Products from TEC Bike Parts

TEC Alloy Gas Shocks - LINK

TEC LOWERING Alloy Gas Shocks - LINK

TEC Fork top pre-load adjusters for 41mm Forks - LINK

Products from Hitchcocks Motorcycles

- LINK

I know these are not available in India and no dealer for them but adding it anyway so everything is available in one single thread for all interested members.
a4anurag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 07:45   #5
BHPian

Re: Suspension Upgrades for the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

YSS Front suspension upgrade - ~₹23,000

Had gotten in touch with 2 dealers for the YSS front upgrade: IndiMotard, and Motonerdz. Both quoted the price for the kit now at 25,000 owing to increased import/shipping charges.
ashishk29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 12:08   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suspension Upgrades for the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twins

ANDREANI FORK CARTRIDGE KIT - £395.00

There is an offering for the 650 twins from Andreani, which is a lesser known brand in India. I know some KTM RC 390 owners have opted for Andreani fork cartridge kits and are very happy with the performance.

You can get weight customized springs for an additional £84.98 as well.

I remember reading user feedback about it somewhere, let me try to dig it up.

Quote:
The Andreani fork cartridge kits are one of the best value fork upgrades on the market. The kit replaces all of the standard fork internals and top caps, giving you a much improved and fully adjustable front end.
Quote:
The Royal Enfield GT Andreani Fork Cartridge Kit is one of the best value fork cartridge kits on the market, offering a complete replacement of all the OEM fork internals and top caps at a great value price.

All Andreani fork cartridge kits are manufactured in Italy using high quality, anodised aluminium components. Their top caps even have a bit of famous Italian styling too!

These are a great choice cartridge kit for road and occasional track riders. The improvements in their design compared to OEM fork internals means that they offer a vast improvement in all aspects of fork performance, with a plusher, more compliant and stable ride, with a greater level of hydraulic support. Not only will you have a more controlled, better handling bike, it will also be safer.

• Fully adjustable for preload, rebound and compression
• 20mm piston for improved oil flow, damping performance, feel and response time
• Supplied with linear fork springs to match the rider weight, with a wide range of spring rates available
• High quality anodised aluminium components to improve performance, reduce friction and reduce service intervals
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2020, 21:26   #7
BHPian

Here's a guy who's put the Himalayan's front suspension on his GT650

I saw his bike last weekend. Looks pretty cool.
cataclysm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2020, 13:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Here is the second part of the video. There are many things like splicing and joining of brake and ABS lines, the front suspension rods are too high and several other modifications that had to be done to make the bike rideable.
Personally not in favour of such modifications.
The specific suspension upgrade kits are better IMO.

PraNeel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 15:01   #9
BANNED

Way2Speed Front Suspension Kit

Quote:
Got the Way2Speed front suspension kit installed on the bike and took it for the spin around DD hills area (Bangalore outskirts). Initial Impressions are very positive. Could immediately feel the difference post the upgrade. At stationary, when we try and compress the front end by applying the pressure on the handlebar, the suspensions feels harder then the stock. ride on, and it feels planted and seems to absorb the road undulations pretty well. The front end of the bike is been raised by almost 35mm. 10mm or extra travel due to dampner rod extender and about 25mm at triple tree.
Link to post by BHPian Nasirkaka
a4anurag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 09:34   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
After seeing the front end dive and rebound and dive and rebound again comically like a pogo stick at the end of the video, I was keen to see how it actually performed in the real world. That setting straight out of the showroom was all wrong. The weight balance of the bike was completely shifted to the rear, thereby making the front end very light and bouncy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Here is the second part of the video. There are many things like splicing and joining of brake and ABS lines, the front suspension rods are too high and several other modifications that had to be done to make the bike rideable.
Personally not in favour of such modifications.
The specific suspension upgrade kits are better IMO
Thanks for sharing. After seeing the ending of part 1 of the video, I expected the bike to corner like it had a mind of its own. But half way through the video, the gentleman shares that the first sky high handlebar + fork setting was all wrong and he had to get the front and rear balanced before shooting the cornering footage.

Im not sure if the technique he used to gauge the height is exactly correct because the Himalayan has a 21 inch front wheel while this is an 18 inch wheel. But it is closer to where he wants to get it to be and a lot more scientific than the installation. I stopped watching after hearing about the splicing of the lines!

While watching the footage though, the front end did look like it was bouncing around a bit more than it should, of course better footage could help understand that more. Im interested to hear the thoughts of other members, this is a new area for most of us, so we can all learn a lot from each other.
Old 12th October 2020, 11:05   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

If you have wondered what are the different ways to improve motorcycle suspension, this video from Dave Moss is invaluable. Unfortunately, in India, a lot of this work is still trial and error, but if you want to understand how to get started, this video is a great place to learn.

neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2021, 11:26   #12
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Well this is well sought after and desired upgrade amongst 650 Twin owners.

Few pointers:
- heavier fork oil means stiffer suspension but doesn't mean better suspension working.
- a particular weight, say 5W has light, medium and heavy variants. Don't know the selection criteria
- heavier fork oil not interacting well with fork internals results in heating

- pre-load adjusters compresses the existing springs to compensate for rider's weight. Does that spring perform better in that compressed state? I can't figure it out. May be suitable for light riders. The bike's own weight compresses the front forks more than enough (I feel)

Conclusions: (I may be wrong)
- Best is to replace the springs (fork internals) with suitable grade oil. Comes at a cost 25k for YSS? 13-15k for the way2speed!
- Fork oil upgrade, if you know what you're doing go for it at the fork oil change interval with LiquiMoly, Plutoline, Maxima oils
- Preload adjusters - enlighten me!

Bonneville folks are doing these for ages I suppose, they can chip in too. One of our 650 twin owner has put in the YSS front fork kit on his Interceptor and I'm waiting to test ride it!

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 13:02   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

surjaonwheelz, you brought up some really good questions. I am listing my hands on observations with the adjustable rear suspension on my Triumph and online learnings (Dave Moss Youtube videos are an excellent source). I dont have adjustable suspension for the front on either of my bikes. I had planned to get preload adjusters for the front of the Continental GT 535 but with the change in the fork oil, it feels good now. The rear gets infinite preload adjustment (unlike the 650 twins which get 6 step preload). I might go for an inexpensive Indian made front preload adjsuter, just to experiment with it down the road.

For my Street Triple 675, the bike feels beautifully balanced, so I dont need to preload adjusters at the front. The rear is the Ohlins TTX with preload, compression and rebound adjustment. Hence I cant really speak with practical experience for the front suspension there either. With that elaborate disclaimer, let me share a few points, hopefully we can learn from our experiences.

- This might be an oversimplification, but the primary factors that we consider for a motorcycle suspension are sag, preload, compression and rebound. The factors affecting this are the fork oil, fork springs and if available, preload adjustment.
- Motorcycle suspensions are setup for purpose based on the average rider profile and usage. So one size may not fit all.

Specific to the front end
- The 650 twins are known to have soft front suspension and many riders I know have experienced some front dive, especially with hard cornering.
- For riders who dont experience this (on account of lighter rider weight, less aggressive riding styles) no change is necessary. Just replaced the fork oil every 3 years or 20K kms (ballpark figures that I am throwing out) and they should be fine.
- If the front end is soft and the rear is firm / perfectly set, this can create a slight imbalance as the front wants to go up and down but the rear is steady.
- For riders who experience front end dive, we can change either the fork oil, fork springs or add preload adjustment.
- Thicker fork oil will reduce the compression and rebound. Its a bit of an inexpensive fix. But without a large enough baseline, its trial and error. For a particular rider weight and riding style, do we upgrade to 5W? 5W light? 7.5W? 10W? For 2 riders with same weight and similar riding styles, one might be OK with 5W but another might prefer 7.5W. Both are correct.
- Fork springs are an expensive fix but when done right, they can be the only change we need. International vendors are offering weight specific springs, and they have the decades of experience to fast track development and get the right springs for each particular rider weight. Indian vendors have only recently started getting into this space but they know our Indian conditions better than most.
- I believe (I might be wrong here), Indian vendors are giving combinations of stiffer springs + thicker fork oil. So that reduces your experimentation and it should work. But without trying it out, its tough to say whether it is the right combination.
- Preload adjustment helps in two ways. One it sets up sag correctly and two, it helps control rebound and damping by making the suspension stiffer or less stiff (see last point in the post).

For a moment, lets take a break from the 650 twins and assume that we are talking about a sports bike with adjustable compression, rebound and preload for the front end. Why do we need preload? Let me try to explain with a crude example. Lets assume a 0 to 100 "hypothetical score" for combined suspension settings, 0 being the softest and wallowiest setting. And 100 is the most hardcore, stiffest setting. Now if there are 10 preload settings, each one goes to 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 and 100 on the score. The compression and rebound adjustment will help finetune the score. So if your preload is set at level 3, you are at a score of 30. Then by adjusting the compression and rebound, you can go down to 25 or up to 35. Lets assume that the manufacturer might have set this up for a score of 54, based on average rider profile and usage. But for your usage, you need something more hardcore like 77.

Now if you have full suspension adjustability, you can take it to 80 and fine tune the compression and rebound to get it to 77. You might realize, that is fine for weekend riding but for monday to friday, you need something more comfortable. So then you take preload to 60 and adjust it to take you to 63. All of this works if you have full adjustability.

But in the case of the 650 twins, none of the aftermarket manufacturers are offering sports bike like suspension with compression and rebound adjustability for the front. So you use your preload adjusters, to take it to your comfortable level. So from say 40 (given how soft it is), you can go to 60 or 80, but not 63 and 77 respectively. But without preload adjusters, you are stuck at 40 and have to keep on changing fork oil etc.
- Ive not heard of heavier fork oil resulting in heating and that causing an issue. I need to read up more.

Specific to the rear end
- The current 6 step preload adjustable Gabriel shocks seem fine to most riders.
- Ideally, a fully adjustable rear shock is a very nice to have addition. I would focus on fixing the front first.
- On the road, changes to preload make a massive difference. Recently I stiffened the rear on my Triple 675 by changing the preload. Despite changing the compression and damping to the comfortable setting, the whole setup was way too stiff. So I had to undo the preload change, to get back to normalcy.
neil.jericho is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 13:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

For a moment, lets take a break from the 650 twins and assume that we are talking about a sports bike with adjustable compression, rebound and preload for the front end. Why do we need preload? Let me try to explain with a crude example. Lets assume a 0 to 100 "hypothetical score" for combined suspension settings, 0 being the softest and wallowiest setting. And 100 is the most hardcore, stiffest setting. Now if there are 10 preload settings, each one goes to 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 and 100 on the score. The compression and rebound adjustment will help finetune the score. So if your preload is set at level 3, you are at a score of 30. Then by adjusting the compression and rebound, you can go down to 25 or up to 35. Lets assume that the manufacturer might have set this up for a score of 54, based on average rider profile and usage. But for your usage, you need something more hardcore like 77.

Now if you have full suspension adjustability, you can take it to 80 and fine tune the compression and rebound to get it to 77. You might realize, that is fine for weekend riding but for monday to friday, you need something more comfortable. So then you take preload to 60 and adjust it to take you to 63. All of this works if you have full adjustability.

But in the case of the 650 twins, none of the aftermarket manufacturers are offering sports bike like suspension with compression and rebound adjustability for the front. So you use your preload adjusters, to take it to your comfortable level. So from say 40 (given how soft it is), you can go to 60 or 80, but not 63 and 77 respectively. But without preload adjusters, you are stuck at 40 and have to keep on changing fork oil etc.
- Ive not heard of heavier fork oil resulting in heating and that causing an issue. I need to read up more.
Wow Neil.
You have explained it succinctly. Thanks for simplifying the concept in such a fluid way.

On other hand, I am happy that I don't have any issues with the suspension settings on my 310 GS. The suspension tune really feels like a black magic to me and I would like to stay away from it for sometime (until I get a sportster ).
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 14:07   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks nitinkbhaskar. This was just a crude example to help decode suspension concepts. I didnt want to make it too complicated.

If I tweak the example to make it slightly more scientific, let us keep the assumptions on scoring from 0 - 100 and the 10 preload adjustment settings the same. But now think of the preloads as baselines. So you go from 0, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 to 90. Now changing the compression and rebound settings will help you finetune to your perfect setting until you get to the next higher preload level. So if you are at a score of 30, in my earlier (more basic) example, I mentioned that you can go down to 25 and up to 35. The principle remains the same, you are going to finetune till you find your sweetspot, but you are going to do it from 31 - 39. Then you go up a notch on your suspension to the next preload level and the score hits 40. Then you finetune from 41 - 49. And so on. So each preload setting becomes a new baseline of sorts and then you adjust based on that.

I am sharing two screen shots from the Triumph user manual to show how compression and rebound settings have to be changed based on usage. A few things to keep in mind are, I dont have any practical experience with low stroke and high stroke compression damping mentioned. Also, the numbers here are inverse to my example, going higher on the turns makes the compression and rebound softer / more comfortable, whereas a higher number in my example meant going from soft to stiff. The concept is the same though.

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 7304
Size:  50.3 KB

Name:  2.PNG
Views: 7131
Size:  58.7 KB
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed