Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2020, 23:10   #1
BHPian

Parani M10 Review - Bluetooth Motorcycle Intercom System by SENA

My Parani M10

First let me address the question : WHAT?

So, What is a Parani M10?

Parani M10 is a Bluetooth Motorcycle Intercom System from Parani - A product line from Sena itself. It’s cheaper than any of the Sena Systems and equally capable.

Parani M10 Review - Bluetooth Motorcycle Intercom System by SENA-parani2.jpg
The Device itself

Parani M10 Review - Bluetooth Motorcycle Intercom System by SENA-parani.jpg
Attached on my helmet.

Some salient features:
  • LCD Display
It has a LCD display which most of the Intercom systems lack. Well that’s mostly useless as you can’t really see it while you’re wearing the helmet with the device attached. However, when you take it off, you can see know the battery status of the Device. The LCD display does switch off after a while, hence saving battery life.
  • Size
It’s tiny compared to the usual Sena Intercoms, almost at 2/3rd of the size. I find that a positive point as it then becomes tough to spot from a distance (riders, you know who I am addressing here – ‘he kay lavla aahe, allowed nahi aahe’)

Apart from the above, it comes with
  • A four way intercom, with a range of 1km (haven’t tested).
  • Versatile Jog Dial and
  • FM Radio
  • Noise Cancelling Mic.

Question No 2 : What’s the need of a Bluetooth Intercom?
Communication, Entertainment, Guidance, Safety...

• Communication

While on a bike, communication between riders happens thru visual signs, and there are a lot of them. But now a days with the given road conditions of the Highways and available motorcycles for touring, we rarely ride at 60kmph. Also, it’s best to avoid taking off your hand/legs from the handle or pegs to make some visual sign to the other rider.
For eg : If you want make a quick stop to fill the tank, and your partner is some 100m ahead of you, the only way he/she can know is if he/she looks into the mirror while you are making the visual sign. I don’t want to get into the calculation of the probability.
With the intercom, you can simply just speak to each other and it’s done; no need for anyone to take eyes of the road or hands off the handle bar.

• Entertainment

While on a drive in a car, listening to songs is something that most of us do, then why not while riding. A few might say, you then can’t hear the outside noise, true, same goes for the car as well. We reduce the volume then. It goes for can and bike both.
Listening to music keeps you entertained and awake on those boring long straights.

• Guidance

Nothing irritates a rider more than time and again pulling out the mobile to check the map/navigation. The Bluetooth has the turns spoon fed to you by the lady over the maps. Yes you can check the mobile when you have it in front on the mobile holder, but I believe it better to have keep eye on the road, especially when you are about to make a turn or coming across a junction.

• Safety

With all the above mentioned points, safety is somewhat covered already.
Happened with me – On a ride to Coorg, which is full of sharp bends, it’s hard to spot your leading partner visually. So when I came across a broken down bus right after a blind turn, I could easily avoid it as my partner who passed it earlier had already informed me about it over the intercom.
Similarly, on a Sunday brunch, I avoided a crash by keeping to the middle lane. How? My following partner had informed me over the intercom about a speeding car in the outer most left lane.

So that’s why I feel the need for a Bluetooth Intercom.

OPTIONS
Moving on to Options you have while getting a Bluetooth/wireless Intercom for helmet.
We have an Indian helmet manufacturer who sells helmet with speakers installed and you need to connect an aux cable to your helmet from your phone. But with the helmet, its best avoided to have wires connected all the time.

Only Bluetooth
  • It comes as a tiny unit and usually hides inside the helmet completely. A person outside cannot make out if you have anything inside the helmet. They can be used for listening music and calls.
  • Pretty basic and useful, if not intercom, you can at least call the person wearing one in case of emergency.
  • Battery life is also not that great, a couple of hours at the max because of their compact size. Neither is the sound quality that impressive, “kaam chalau” mostly.
  • Suggested to use on your daily wear helmet, it’s much better than sticking your phone inside the helmet.

Bluetooth and Intercom
  • These are the ones who are I believe the most useful for group rides.
  • Even on a solo ride, as they mostly have a good battery life.
  • Cost ranges from Rs 4,000 to over Rs 30,000 for different models and brands.

So coming back to My Paranai M10 now.

Why did I go for the M10?
I have tried a normal Bluetooth helmet headset which I use in my office helmet and also a cheap intercom (BT-S2). The BT-S2 was great for the price; I had got it for 2k from AliExpress back in 2017. It was one of the better intercoms in the budget price. The biggest drawback of the BT-S2 was that it used same port for charging and headset connection. Over the time because of regular wear and tear, as you have to remove the headset connection for charging, the port gave up. Same happened with a couple of acquaintances who were using the BT-S2. So this time I had decided to go for something better quality wise. The first name came to my mind was the SENA. The SMH-5 is their most affordable Bluetooth Intercom, by affordable meaning the cheapest in SENA’s lineup, starting at 10.5K INR. Not cheap by any means. The 10S with increased battery life and range comes at 19K INR.
I was willing to take the plunge and go for the SENA SHM-5. So I called a nearby reseller and enquired about the same. Now the SMH-5 is a very old model from SENA and will probably be phased out soon and the 10S was way above my budget. The re-seller informed me about the Parani M10, like most, I also had not heard about it.
From SENA at 6k INR sounds a very good deal. Also the features are same as the SMH-5, the size is smaller than the SMH-5, almost 2/3rd of the SMH-5 and half the SENA-20S (just for size reference).

So I used the Parani M10 over the weekend on my ride to Mahabaleshwar.

My Experience

The Battery.

The 3 day trip was completed on a single charge. However I could only use the Bluetooth, I was constantly listening to songs and navigation for at least 12 hrs.

Different sockets for Charging and Headset.
The M10 has 2 sockets, a type-C charging port and another one for headphone and mic. This means in case I ran out of juice, I could still use it while charging. It comes with a good quality charging cable which is long enough to comfortable reach the helmet from the bike’s handle (where we usually have the charger).
Also the device is removable easily, so one does not have to keep the entire helmet for charging.

Sound Quality
The voice clarity is on par with other Sena devices. I could clearly hear the other person at highway speeds despite the wind noise. Noise cancellation is impressive as well; my better half could not make out if I was riding or stopped.
On the other hand that I would have been happier with a lot more bass, there is none. I have not heard any other SENA device, if you have, kindly enlighten me if that’s the case with all of them.

Functions
The M10 comes with a Jog Dial and a multifunction button. A host of functions are possible using the combination of these 2.
The device starts when we press the Jog Dial and the Multifunction button together. Once started, it automatically looks for a phone to pair with. It’s an easy setup like any other Bluetooth device. You can use 2 phones with the single M10 at the same time.
Calls
Single tap on the jog dial or the multifunction button to receive a call.
Press the jog dial for 2 sec to reject the call.
Press and hold the Multifunction button for 3 sec for voice dial.
Press and hold the Jog Dial for 3 sec for speed dial. This needs to be configured in the device, your phone’s speed does not sync.

Radio
Press the multifunction for 1 sec and the radio starts at 87.something MHz. It does a good job of tuning to channels; however it needs a strong signal. Inside the city, it works fine.

Intercom
The Parani website/usermanual says that it can only work with other Parani devices, however, I have tried connecting with a SENA 10S and it worked. The voice over the intercom crisp and clear. However this will affect the battery life of the device which I will update once I use it on a long trip.

Overall
Positives :
  • I feel that the Parani M10 is a worth buy at 6k INR.
  • The sound clarity and noise cancellation is amazing.
  • Battery can easily last for the day.
  • The product has got a premium look and finish compared to what competitors have to offer at the cost.
  • The display, instead of the only single light indication is much easier to understand.

Negatives :
  • No bass, if you have a Spotify Premium membership, look elsewhere.
  • The jog dial is a size bigger than the device, I feel it’s just waiting for an accidental fall or mishandling to come off.
  • Manual says it only connects to Parani devices, being new in the market, the owner might be left alone.
  • Supports 4 rides at the max, suitable for smaller riding groups only.

In short, its like moving from a commuter to a beginner superbike.

Well this is my take on the smallest product from one of the biggest names in the industry.

Now that we all know what is it, lets see how the device actually is.

Parani M10 Review - Bluetooth Motorcycle Intercom System by SENA-img_20201023_185522.jpg.
Packing - In the box

Parani M10 Review - Bluetooth Motorcycle Intercom System by SENA-img_20201023_185713.jpg
Parani M10 Review - Bluetooth Motorcycle Intercom System by SENA-img_20201023_185932.jpg
The first screen, ready to pair to a phone. Battery indicator is helpful.

Parani M10 Review - Bluetooth Motorcycle Intercom System by SENA-img_20201023_185916.jpg
See what I meant by tiny, its half the size of a standard desktop mouse.

Parani M10 Review - Bluetooth Motorcycle Intercom System by SENA-img_20201023_190015.jpg
Type-C charging port.

Parani M10 Review - Bluetooth Motorcycle Intercom System by SENA-img_20201023_190022.jpg
Headphone and mic attachment.

Parani M10 Review - Bluetooth Motorcycle Intercom System by SENA-img_20201023_190026.jpg
Top Button - waterproof.

Parani M10 Review - Bluetooth Motorcycle Intercom System by SENA-img_20201023_190109.jpg
See how that jog dial comes out of the device, its at dial + button.

Parani M10 Review - Bluetooth Motorcycle Intercom System by SENA-img_20201023_190211.jpg
This is how it fits to the clip attached to the helmet.

So this has been my short experience till now. Will keep the thread updated with the upcoming experiences.

Last edited by Aditya : 27th October 2020 at 17:57. Reason: As per PM - 2/3rd
iamahunter is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 05:02   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Parani M10 Review - Bluetooth Motorcycle Intercom System by SENA

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 08:38   #3
BHPian

Excellent review buddy and superb price for what it does. So wanted to pick this one up for my wife to pair it up with my Sena 20S only to realise this is backed by SENA but doesn't work with SENA. I understand the rationale behind this so as to not cannibalize SENA 5 or 10 but it would have been nice if it worked with SENA. Anyway still looking for a good deal on SENA 10 or even 5.

Edit: just noticed it's working with Sena 10s for you. That's odd of them to officially say it won't work with SENA but actually it does. Have to look into it a bit more and take the plunge for upcoming rides. Thanks again!

Last edited by camitesh : 24th October 2020 at 08:43. Reason: Edit section
camitesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 09:14   #4
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic review and thanks for providing so much of detailed information for customers to think about.

Considering Sena and Cardo are the major big boys in the helmet comms segment and all their products have astronomical pricing (especially the mesh ones), this product nicely addresses a gap in the budget portfolio for someone just starting out riding and not wanting to break the bank buying something very high end, when they may not know what among those features they will use or not use. The fact that it comes from the Sena stable means the quality is also assured. The simple display is also nice to quickly check things like battery level, current track, modes, etc. I somehow felt the build quality has been compromised a bit but I guess that is where Sena wants to draw the line between this one and their old range to justify the pricing difference.

Personally when I set out wanting a simple helmet comms system for city use without any of the intercom jazz and just wanted a simple BT system for calls and music, I was struggling to find good options within 6-7k INR. Most of the things are cheap chinese products which conk easily and quickly. This product addresses that gap very nicely. Also, not all riders use intercom when riding and there are riders (me included) who may not even use that (intercom) feature if they don't ride in groups all the time and just want a simple standalone BT system.

I use a Sena 20S evo on my two touring helmets, using a helmet adapter kit to swap the same control unit between them. I have fitted a cheap standalone BT system called Moto-Konnect ST2 on my City use MT helmet. I'd be curious to know if the Parani M10 has helmet adapter kits available separately. Any information on this? This would help people with more than one helmet to swap the device across helmets.

Last edited by KarthikK : 24th October 2020 at 09:21. Reason: typo fixed
KarthikK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 16:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
Edit: just noticed it's working with Sena 10s for you. That's odd of them to officially say it won't work with SENA but actually it does. Have to look into it a bit more and take the plunge for upcoming rides. Thanks again!
Actually come to think of it, SENA is universal, if SENA can easily connect to a BT-S2, there is no issue connecting a Parani.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Fantastic review and thanks for providing so much of detailed information for customers to think about....

... I use a Sena 20S evo on my two touring helmets, using a helmet adapter kit to swap the same control unit between them. I have fitted a cheap standalone BT system called Moto-Konnect ST2 on my City use MT helmet. I'd be curious to know if the Parani M10 has helmet adapter kits available separately. Any information on this? This would help people with more than one helmet to swap the device across helmets.
Haven't heard of the adapter kits yet, but if they are available, it should not be a problem to swap as the unit can be easily attached-detached.

One more thing, the headphone-mic connector pin is the same one which comes standard with BT-S2. So I think a BT-S2 headset should also be compatible with this device.
iamahunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 09:58   #6
BHPian

Re: Parani M10 Review - Bluetooth Motorcycle Intercom System by SENA

Very comprehensive review

I always had this question lingering in my mind - since these intercom systems have bluetooth and have a mic inside the helmet, can they be used to record audio to the phone while riding?

I am not into vlogging or anything but felt the feature will be useful if we want to record our experiences during our travel.

Cheers,
Giridhar
klgiridhar is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 20:28   #7
BHPian

Lovely review. I was looking curiously at the posts by dealers on my FB groups and wondering if it was any good. After reading your review I think I'll take the plunge. It's it loud enough? The biggest gripe with my V6 is I can't hear anything once I cross triple digits. I mostly use my com for listening to music and this would be a vfm upgrade to me. I can't shell out sena and cardo money for my coms too
mh09ad5578 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 02:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klgiridhar View Post
Very comprehensive review

I always had this question lingering in my mind - since these intercom systems have bluetooth and have a mic inside the helmet, can they be used to record audio to the phone while riding?

I am not into vlogging or anything but felt the feature will be useful if we want to record our experiences during our travel.

Cheers,
Giridhar
Ideally, something that's being recorded, would need some form of storage medium. And this does not come with any storage space.

If you mean to record it to the phone over the Bluetooth, then I will try and let you know of it. Even if that's possible, it would need the phone's recorder to be ON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
It's it loud enough? The biggest gripe with my V6 is I can't hear anything once I cross triple digits. I mostly use my com for listening to music and this would be a vfm upgrade to me. I can't shell out sena and cardo money for my coms too
Its loud enough, but it not loud to hurt the ears.

This also depends on how silent the helmet is. An aerodynamically designed helmet would make way less wind noise than a badly designed one.

I feel that my BT-S2 was louder, but that was only because I had its speakers sitting almost inside my ears. However I could not communicate on the BT-S2, as it had below average voice clarity + the not so good aerodynamics on my LS2, made it worse.

Currently I have this on my MT helmet and I could easily communicate at safe 3 digit speeds.
iamahunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 08:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

The Honda CB 350 unit is made for Sena. Would this unit work with that system? This seems like a good value purchase
Attached Thumbnails
Parani M10 Review - Bluetooth Motorcycle Intercom System by SENA-8ac7a46bd4a641259eba8a1f129548a8.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 12:57   #10
BHPian

Wonderful review and thanks for sharing this knowledge, I did not know such a product existed. I am not a bike rider but I am thinking of the potential where this can be used by group of drivers to co-ordinate among a convoy of cars and can be plugged into the car ICE too, a must have especially in areas with limited or no cellular network coverage. The only concern is the range which I would wait for some more feedback from real world usage.
Old 27th October 2020, 21:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

The Parani comes with my Honda CB350 as original accessory. Costs 6K. Will test it tomorrow. Cheers
Sebring is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 15:20   #12
Team-BHP Support

An answer to my original question here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I'd be curious to know if the Parani M10 has helmet adapter kits available separately. Any information on this? This would help people with more than one helmet to swap the device across helmets.
Yes, Parani M10 does have a helmet clamp kit (they call it service kit)
https://parani.com/products/m10-a01

This allows folks with multiple helmets to buy this clamp kit separately (speakers + mic + wiring + adapter for headset piece) and use the same control unit across multiple helmets. The listed price on their USA site is $16 (~1200 INR) and the price in local riding gear shops here in Bangalore is around ~1400 INR.

So if someone has 2 helmets, they need 1x M10 kit and 1x service kit. Both helmets have the comms systems sorted for under 7.5k which is still fantastic VFM
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 15:21   #13
BHPian

Is the Parani M10 supposed to be water proof or resistant? It seems like a great buy for pure phone connectivity within the city or even outside.
Old 28th October 2020, 20:04   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_xx View Post
Is the Parani M10 supposed to be water proof or resistant?
The control unit (the part which juts out of the helmet side) will be splash resistant and can easily tolerate mild to moderate downpours during our rainy days.

The parts inside the helmet - microphone and speakers are not tolerant to water splashes. So it is better to ride with the visor down and chin air vents shut if riding in heavy rains, where water ingress is a risk towards the mic area.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 22:01   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
My Parani M10
Thanks for the in depth review. Quick question:

It says that 4 riders can be interconnected. But can all 4 talk to each other at the same time?

Example - On the Vnetphone, you can connect to 6 riders in all. however, only 2 can have a conversation at one time. You need to use the tiny buttons to change the person you want to talk to. No conference possible

How is it on the Parani? Also, if say one rider disconnects from the group for some time (say - to fill up petrol while others amble along slowly) and is back in range sometime later; does the pairing with other devices happen automatically or do you need to stop and pair again

Thanks again!
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed