Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2020, 12:44   #16
BHPian

Re: Retro-chic restored scooters : New trend down south

Wow, a nice thread. Sorry for slightly OT. , but we have a beautifully maintained vespa which is around 25 years old and was looking to sell it, due to dad's old age. Would love to sell it to someone who would restore it. Can someone help me with leads on it. Mods: hope I am not breaking the forum rules, but I think our vespa if restored would look just brilliant.
Old 27th October 2020, 12:53   #17
BHPian

I am not much into scooters but these scoots are looking absolutely hot and drool worthy!! I wonder what could be the inspiration behind making such wonderful machines.
Old 27th October 2020, 12:57   #18
BHPian

This reminds me of restoration plan for 1974 Bajaj 150. Dad has managed to keep it in pristine condition. but due to non maintenance and no usage it got rusty. May be once corona is over I will start the restoration project.

Any leads in Pune for restoration would be helpful to know.
Old 27th October 2020, 12:59   #19
BHPian

These modified scooters definitely looks gorgeous and classic. This trend had caught up in Punjab also around 7 years back. There were punjabi songs (song itself was named Scooter) also depicting that people are giving preference to modified Chetak over Land Rover while going out.

Link to the song below.
viscosity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 13:25   #20
Senior - BHPian

Painting them in flashy colors may be a new trend but restoring/maintaining these old scooters is always been a trend. We have few well maintained/restored scooters in my friend/family circle (e.g Vijay Super, Lambretta, Narmada, LML Vespa, Chetak etc.)
Old 27th October 2020, 14:05   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghuwire View Post
Wow, a nice thread. Sorry for slightly OT. , but we have a beautifully maintained vespa which is around 25 years old and was looking to sell it, due to dad's old age. Would love to sell it to someone who would restore it. Can someone help me with leads on it. Mods: hope I am not breaking the forum rules, but I think our vespa if restored would look just brilliant.
Raghuwire, I've PMed you a number who may be interested. Hope it helps.
Nagesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 14:16   #22
BHPian

Superb thread. Loved those restored pics.

I have a 88' Chetak and was planning on selling. After seeing this I'm surely reconsidering! Any references regarding restoring would really help.

Some pics below

Retro-chic restored scooters : New trend down south-whatsapp-image-20200921-13.32.06-1.jpeg

Retro-chic restored scooters : New trend down south-whatsapp-image-20200921-13.32.06.jpeg

Retro-chic restored scooters : New trend down south-whatsapp-image-20200921-13.32.07.jpeg
Nagesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 14:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

The Chetaks look good. I would love to get one of them as a display / conversation piece, not for riding. I hated to ride them when they were new, I would hate to ride them now!

A Lambretta would be good to ride even now.

Last edited by Gansan : 27th October 2020 at 14:19.
Old 27th October 2020, 16:12   #24
KPR
BANNED

My BIL had his grandfather's 1980s Chetak restored to glory last year. I drove it for a week. I must confess it isn't practical at all as compared to bike or gearless scooter today. For those who are on the rush like finish job after another in quick time and get back home, tilt and start every morning routine - these scooters aren't for them. Moreover street dogs started to chase me for the sound it created. So this scooter is a big NO NO for me.

The other scooter I desired to own was the buttery smooth Honda Eterno. It wasn't sold in 2007 when I wanted to purchase one.

Last edited by KPR : 27th October 2020 at 16:13.
Old 27th October 2020, 16:23   #25
BHPian

There are some exotics among scooters which are well worth restoration

1. Vespa (italian)
2. Alwyn Pushpak.
3. Vijay Cub
4. Rajdoot Runabout

and of course the holy grail of vintage scooter collecting, Royal Enfield Fantabulus.
Old 27th October 2020, 16:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Kinetic Hondas should be a part of this trend! In 1991,they launched the first CVT vehicles in India. First scooter with an electric start.
If only Kinetic had the will to innovate upon the body style and improve the mileage, Honda Activa would not have been so popular today.
Honda Eterno is another possible candidate for this. It is the best geared scooter India has seen, and even today many owners refuse to sell it because it is so good. Many milkmen and newspaper delivery folks still use it.
Agree, the Kinetic Honda is a worthwhile restore, with the enviable record of being the first electric start scooter and with an automatic gearbox. I have one with me bought in 1995 and itching to get it back to life. Any leads would be appreciated, in Bangalore, who would do a good job.
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 20:33   #27
BHPian

I recently restored my Father’s 1970 Vespa
Attached Thumbnails
Retro-chic restored scooters : New trend down south-332dbbcc127948e0b57a333dd7a54039.jpeg  

Retro-chic restored scooters : New trend down south-b0671503f8cb4b1e9f5a95db43556a02.jpeg  

Retro-chic restored scooters : New trend down south-ae03278ce8af4f3c88ca8dd9c89ffad0.jpeg  

Bob Selva is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 06:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

Wow, these machines are so drool-worthy. Must say, what is stopping Bajaj from launching a retro-looking electric Chetak?

The rumors keep floating up from time to time, but we don't see any leaks/spy shots/concrete plan.
Old 28th October 2020, 15:14   #29
BHPian

Are these scooters street legal?
How is the re-registration done specially when the registration has lapsed?
Old 28th October 2020, 16:32   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Are these scooters street legal?
How is the re-registration done specially when the registration has lapsed?
Lapsed registration can be renewed by paying a fine (couple of thousands for cars, not sure about two wheelers). If the road tax is pending, then the fine amount can run into thousands depending on how many month's tax is pending.

Couple of them in the RTO site are valid. Considering how proactive Kerala RTO is, I don't expect anyone to be stupid enough to ride in something that catches attention and not have proper documents.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks