Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2020, 16:48   #1
BHPian

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller

Good Day to all. This is my first ownership review on this forum (or any other forum for that matter). Whilst I take all precautions to maintain this post as per the forum's rules & requirements, would request you to pardon me if I have got diverted.

This post consists of four parts.
1. Shortlisting and Booking Experience
2. Delivery Experience
3. Bike's review
4. Ownership experience

Let's get going.

1. Booking Experience

A little bit of History

Me, been and being a biker and traveller at heart, buying a bike for my long trips has always been my dream.

Way back in 2009, I bought my first bike (Hero Honda Splendor) for my commuting needs. Splendor being a 100cc bike, travelling long distances was ruled out. Nothing much to write home about the bike as I was using that for my day-to-day commuting only.

Fast forward to 2012, settled with two kids and me settled on the job as well after completing all my onshore travels, decided to give long-distance touring a try. Royal Enfield Bullet was my dream bike at that time and I went ahead and booked an Electra 350 with an on-road price of Rs. 1,35,000 with Legend Motors in Sanatorium, Chennai. The waiting period was close to 60 days I guess (pardon my memory). Just like every newbie who booked his dream bike, I too was sceptical as to how I am gonna contain my excitement and wait for 60 days. I hate waiting. That's the truth.

Name:  royalenfieldbulletelectra350riverared500x500.png
Views: 24608
Size:  226.8 KB

A couple of REM sleep nights went by and after a week or so, I got a call from the dealer stating that there was a cancellation of someone's booking and since I booked the same variant and colour (Red), they asked me if I can process the loan and get this bike allocated to me. And I said YES. Two days went by for loan processing and I got my bike delivered in a week.

Even though the waiting period was close to 90 days, I got my bike allocated in 10 days. The bike got delivered post-registration in 4 days and I brought it back home. A couple of weeks went by and I was waiting for the first service (500 kms or 1 month) to be completed before I could make it stretch its wings.

I used that bike for my daily commute (24 kms to and fro) and was able to get it to its first service in two weeks. Service was good and delivered on time.

It was pretty much okay when I used it for commuting inside the city limits as I did not cross more than 50 kmph speed. It was when I took it for long-distance travel of around 60 kilometres, one way from Tambaram to Ponneri that I came to know that the bike was not able to contain speeds of more than 80 kilometres per hour without vibrations. The vibrations are so intense that I could feel them on the handlebar and were unable to see anything in the rearview mirror as it was vibrating as well. For the first time, I regret taking a wrong decision when it comes to bikes and of-course, Royal Enfield.

Post that vibration episode I did not take the bike to any sort of long-distance rides. I did not use bike much except for occasional city commutes which were fine and after one year I decided to sell the bike. One of my friends bought it from me and he's been using it since then.

Fast forward to 2020 January the idea of long-distance travel again cropped up on my mind. It was well before we even knew that a thing called COVID existed. I started looking for a good bike and definitely not Royal Enfield as I had bitter experience in the past.

My requirements were very simple:
  • Seat Height that's comfortable for my height (165 cms).
  • Vibrations - as less as possible
  • High-speed stability
  • Dual Channel ABS as standard
  • Engine capacity more than 250 cc
  • Long distance touring comfort

Below are the choices I considered

Mahindra Mojo

Does Mahindra sell bikes?

KTM Duke 390

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-pho_bike_90_re_390duke2017re_sall_aepi_v1.png

What I liked
1. Engine power like no other
2. High speeds without any vibrations (Top Speed of 174 I did on ORR)
3. Any Bajaj service centre can handle repairs across India

What I did not like
1. Seat height - I was unable to place my feet flat on the ground
2. Pricey than its rivals
3. Lots if Gizmos

Kawasaki Z650

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-kawasakiz6503.jpg

Went and saw the bike in Chennai Showroom and there were no bikes available for a test ride then and the showroom executive said that you have to buy the bike test ride it. I was not ready to spend almost 6.5 lakhs on that bike without doing a test ride so I was waiting for an opportunity to go to Bangalore test ride it before I buy. the showroom did offer me a BS-IV discount of almost Rs. 84,000.

What I liked
1. Stunning wicked looks
2. Powerful Motor
3. Seat height
4. Oozing Japanese quality
5. Corner craving naked beauty

What I did not like
1. Nothing (Mind over Brain I guess)

BMW G310GS

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-bmwg310gsindialauch4.jpg

What I liked
1. Perfect looking adventure tourer
2. Came with a factory-fitted pillion luggage rack
3. Solid German build
4. Confidence-inspiring High-speed stability

What I did not like
1. Engine was not smooth.
2. Headlight Wobbling
3. Seat height
4. All brand accessories were too costly.

Benelli TRK 502

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-45731_benelli_trk502_x_2018_004.jpg

What I liked
1. Perfect looking adventure tourer
2. Confidence-inspiring High-speed stability
3. Huge discounts offered on BS-IV model.
4. Powerful Engine

What I did not like
1. Too heavy - 245 kgs
2. Availability of service centres - only in large cities.
3. Costly parts and servicing

Just as I was struggling with the selection and my inclination was towards BMW G310GS, lockdown kicked in and the idea of me buying a bike is put on hold. Even if I buy the bike now, I would not be able to take it out for long rides and also it made a financial sense to hold onto your money before you spend it on any depreciating assets.

Fast forward to October 2020 I saw some spy images of Royal Enfield Meteor 350 being tested and I was both sceptical and expecting that Royal Enfield will make drastic changes to the newer models. I like the bike's overall silhouette and I thought why not wait for a month, give it a try and probably book it if I like it. The bike was scheduled to be introduced on November 6th.

Come November 7th, a day after it was introduced, I went to the legend Motors showroom in Sanatorium to test ride the bike. I met with the sales executive Mr Seethapathi and he explained to me the available variants and the booking formalities in greater detail along with the price. I took a test ride along with my kids and to my astonishment, it matched my requirements. Frankly, I did not feel that I am riding a Royal Enfield.

The bike was available in three variants and below are the available features.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-meteor-variants.jpeg
Pic courtesy : Maxabout

What I liked:
1. Refined engine. Bike is Smooth to ride.
2. Seat height of 765 mm and optional accessory (Touring Seat) with 745 mm.
3. Absolutely 'Nil' vibrations in the 80-100 range.
4. Straight up riding posture.
5. Power available on almost the entire rev range.
6. Switchgear reminds you of the by-gone era.
7. Unlimited customisation options
8. Wider handlebar translates to lesser turning radius.
9. Quicker than Classic 350 and Thunderbird

What I did not like:
1. Fuel tank capacity reduced to 15 lts
2. Liberal use of plastics - not so premium. Even the fuel tank cap is made of cheaper plastic. Won't last long by the looks of it.
3. Brand new engine and platform - Long term reliability remains to be proven.

Post the test ride, Me and my kids liked the bike and I told the exec that I will come back on 8th Nov with my wife and will decide finally. I want her to see as to how much is the pillion comfort and to take her feedback as well.

I and my wife went on 8th of November to do a second test drive and as soon as I sat on the bike and put my foot down flat on the ground, my wife was all smiley face indicating that she liked it. She is very much specific about safety and she strongly believes that, for me to "go anywhere", a shorter bike is safer than a taller bike.
P. S - Wife is always right.

Since both of us liked the bike, we went ahead and booked it by paying an advance of ₹10,000. After some discussions, we selected below.

Variant : Supernova
Color : Brown
Factory Fitted Accessories: Touring Seats (745mm version), Windshield
Additional Accessories: Touring Mirror (I liked the design), Engine Guard - Black
Standard Warranty: 3-year 30,000 kms with 1-year roadside assistance (Fuel - Twice per year - 5 lts - No Labor/service charges), Breakdown assistance - The company will co-ordinate with the nearest service centre, Puncture assistance)
Extended Warranty : YES - 4th & 5th year - 20,000 kms + Roadside assistance. As per the sales exec, if we take the extended warranty, RSA will be covered for the entire 5 years.

The bike can be "Customised" as part of the "Make it Yours" program.

Make it Yours (MIY) Program
With this bike, Royal Enfield is introducing a "Make It Yours" program where you have a wide variety of options to choose from and customise your bike. It includes Accessories, colours, safety features and others. This program gives you a feeling that your bike is 'unique' and no two bikes are the same. Royal Enfield says that close to 5 lakh combinations are possible. Royal Enfield wanted to give its customers a unique experience right from the time of booking itself and you could say that its a job well done.

Make It Yourself program (MIY) consists of the following from which you can choose your options.
  • 15 Basic paint colours
  • 4 Rider's seat
  • 4 Pillion seat
  • 2 Backrest
  • 1 Personalized badge featuring the name you choose
  • 3 Emblems
  • 4 Decals
  • 3 Tape rims
  • 2 Flyscreens
  • 2 Side boxes
  • 8 Engine guards
  • 1 Sump guard
  • 2 Footpegs
  • 2 Bar-end mirrors
  • 8 Silencers - Legal and Approved

The sales executive went to the Royal Enfield website and he selected the Variant, Colour, seat (765mm / 745mm), crash guard etc. I was told that booking amount is non-refundable because this is a customised bike. This program also lets you have a personalized badge with a name (Yours, Bike's or any other name - I selected our Family Name "R M G Y" which is derived by collating the first letter of each of our names), giving you a more personalized feeling.

The booking experience was good I was able to select and view the bike with all the optional extras that I selected.

You can access the MIY website here

Optional Extras Selected
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-screenshot-20201108-10.06.14-pm.png

The software is equipped enough to render your bike exactly with all the customisations & accessories that you selected. Here is my bike's final customised version.
Name:  My Royal Enfield.png
Views: 21332
Size:  319.8 KB

Below is the final estimate with all accessories added.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-screenshot-20201108-5.26.01-pm.png

November month being my birthday month and I thought I could get my bike delivered as my birthday gift but the sales executive told that it would not be possible for the showroom to deliver the bikes on or before the 29th of November because there's a Diwali long weekend coming up. So I have to wait for another 30 days impatiently for my bike to come home. I also requested for a registration number to be selected by myself. I will be paying that extra amount (Rs. 3,500 approx including agent commission) to block the number accordingly.

2. Delivery Experience

Woke up on 19th Nov morning with this message confirming that the bike has reached the dealer and I was asked to pay the downpayment.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-img_1253.png

I had already processed my loan with HDFC and got it approved. All they have to do is to release the payment. I spoke to my banker and they said that if they release the funds before 20th Nov, EMI will hit the account on Dec 1st week. If they release the payment after 20th, EMI will hit the account by Jan 1st week. I asked them to process after 20th.

W.r.t the registration number selection, they asked me to choose 4-5 numbers between 3500 and 4500. I gave them my choices and came back home waiting for the funds to be credited. Tentative date of delivery is on Wednesday (25th Nov).

The D-Day came and so did the cyclone "Nivar". All offices were closed and the dealer could not send the bike for registration.
26th Nov - Holiday on account of Cyclone
27th Nov - RTO could not function as it was waterlogged
30th Nov - Server Issues
1st Dec - Dealer delayed paperwork and hence could not be registered.
2nd Dec - Finally the vehicle was sent for registration. The agent called me from RTO office to select the number for my bike and I selected '4500' from the list of options available (No Numerology here. Just wanted a fancy number).

Went and took delivery of the bike at around 5:30 PM and it was drizzling and couldn't take many pictures.

Yours truly getting the key from Wifey
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-dp.jpg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-photo20201204190229.jpg
Parting shot for the delivery event.

3. Bike's review

Is there a recipe for creating a new successful bike model? Maybe. Take an existing successful model, list down all its pros and cons, retain the pros, work on the cons to convert it into a pro, test it extensively and introduce it into the market. There you go. You got a winner on your hands. Royal Enfield has done just that with the new Meteor 350. They have taken the Thunderbird 350 as a standard, retained its USP’s, solved all its issues (well, almost) and made it into a surprising package that's a winner.

Are they successful? Looks like they are. The curiosity that it generated, feedback that it received from various quarters, its prospective customers and reviewers alike all points to a grand successful entry. This is not only a new motorcycle. The entire platform is new as well. Instead of taking a high-risk route of building a new model from scratch and introducing it into the market, Royal Enfield has taken the time tested way of bringing a new model that can be related to and similar to an existing model.

650 twins were the first world-class product by RE in terms of design, engineering and manufacturing and this might be their second one. This motorcycle comes from an entirely brand new "J Platform". Every single component is new and built ground up.

Royal Enfield cannot use the name “Thunderbird” in overseas markets as there is an already existing model with the same name from Triumph Motors. The name “Meteor” is derived from a line of motorcycles that RE sold in 1953 called “Super Meteor” which is a 692 CC, Overhead Valve, Twin Cylinder model. The Super Meteor was later replaced by the “Interceptor” in 1962.

Design

This motorcycle is designed by RE team in India and England. Future iterations of existing classic 350 models and all other upcoming new models will be based on this platform only. IMHO, RE has done it right the first time and the results, as I see for the future iterations/models, are promising.

The design of this motorcycle might look familiar and similar to Thunderbird to some whereas, for me, it resembles a Harley. In a clear departure from earlier design elements by Royal Enfield. This motorcycle sheds Chrome on the front and rear mudguard, battery case and uses good quality plastics. While this helps in weight reduction, the bike does not feel that premium to look and feel IMHO.

This will be a global model and it will be sold in Asia Europe and North America.

Quality
Quality is top-notch. Fit and finish are good overall. Lots of Chrome in earlier models have been replaced by plastics. Plastics help in weight reduction to a greater extent. The two mudguards, fuel tank cap, which we use on a daily basis are made of plastic now. Whilst I accept the plastic mudguard, fuel tank cap, the one we use on a daily basis, is also made of plastic now. This might be a problem and it can break faster on continuous usage. I expected Royal Enfield to have provided a metal fuel tank cap just like in the other Royal Enfield models. I understand the necessity for cost-cutting, but hey, how much it's gonna cost in providing a metallic fuel tank cap?

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-front-mudguard_plastic.jpeg
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-rear-mudguard_plastic.jpeg
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-fuel-cap.jpeg

Sound:
Does it sound like a proper RE? Yes. It's got a throaty note to it with more bass than the existing models. Now, Its a single note and that too with a good meaty thump.

Engine, Gearbox & Performance
The brand new 350 CC engine replaces the existing UCE engine that was available with the Thunderbird Twins and the classic 350. It is far better than the engine it replaces. It still uses a 2 valve head but the old pushrod system is being replaced by a single overhead camshaft. Engine capacity has been increased from 346 CC 2 349 CC.

The engine now makes 20.4 ps of power @ 6100 rpm, 0.4 Hp more than the old UCE engine and 27 nm of torque @ 4000 rpm, 1 nm less than the UCE engine.

Engine - Right Side View. Also, Kickstarter is conspicuous by its absence.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-right-side.jpeg

Engine - Left Side View
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-left-side.jpeg

Engine Classification J1349 - J Series - Engine Number 1 - 349 CC
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-engine-classification.jpeg

Though the engine is air-cooled, RE included an internal oil cooling circuit as well. As per Re, this is an “Air+oil cooled engine”. In the real world, this translates to the longer-range without the engine getting heated up abnormally.

Air Cooled Engine with fins provided in the silencer as well. This is to maintain uninterrupted flow of air.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-fins-silencer.jpeg

Closer look at the cooling fins - Contrast Coloured
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-engine_closer-look.jpeg

It doesn't mean that the bike is completely free of vibrations. You could feel the vibrations at a very minimal levels when you cross 90 kph. Even at 120 kph, the maximum possible speed, the engine vibrations are bearable. Also, vibrations are contained to a considerable extent on the mirrors as well.

The gearbox is smooth & slick with shorter throws and it feels softer when we're changing the gears. False neutral exists when you are changing gears in the city traffic. The clutch feels a bit heavy but confidence-inspiring. It doesn't feel too stressful when you're driving through that hot city traffic.

Below are the max speed at the respective gears
1st - 50 kph
2nd - 75 kph
3rd - 100 kph
4th - 110 kph
5th - 120 kph

Excellent Roll-on acceleration of 40-80 kph in 4th gear and 50-120 in 5th gear. You won't have to downshift in city traffic if you are above 30kph in the third gear. You can go from 40 to 100 in 4th gear and the bike has enough juice to take you there without upshift / downshifts.

80 kph - 110 kph is the average cruising speed and vibrations are significantly lower up to 110 kph which is the sweet spot for cruising in this motorcycle. Comparing to Classic 350 and Thunderbird where the vibration-free range is 60-80 kph, this new engine can cruise all day long in the 100-120 kph range without losing breath. More than 120 kph, it feels out of breath and it doesn’t move beyond 120 kph how hard you twist the throttle.

Heat from the engine is felt a little if you are driving in a stop & go traffic. I was riding with my shorts and I could feel the heat on my calf. If you are riding with riding pants / pants, you will not feel the heat.

Abundant torque is available at the low rev range aids in city driving. Power and performance are available on tap in the entire rev range. Mid-range is punchy and the top end still has some juice left if you need that extra power to overtake (up until 120).

Chassis
This bike has an all-new chassis which is a double down tube frame replacing the single cradle unit available with the other earlier models.

The addition of a balancer shaft, translates to considerable reduction in vibrations.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-cradle-frame.jpeg

The wheelbase is now 1400 millimetres an increase of 50 millimetres from the earlier models.

The ground clearance is at a healthy 170mm which is up by 35mm

Ground Clearance in reference to a 1 ltr bottle.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-ground-clearance-bottle-reference.jpeg

The handlebar is wider which makes your life easier when you are wading through the city traffic. Wider handlebars translates to shorter turning radius. However, shorter riders (like me at 5'5", shorter hands) would find it difficult as you have to stretch one of your hand a lot when making sharper U turns.

Suspensions
The front suspension is a telescopic 41mm forks having 130mm of travel whereas
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-front-suspension.jpeg

the rear is Twin shocks with 6 step adjustable preload.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-rear-shocks.jpeg
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-preload-adjuster.jpeg

The suspensions handles most of the potholes and undulations with ease but when it comes to a bigger pot holes the suspension bottoms out if you are crossing them at high speeds.

Brakes & Tyres
The bike comes with either MRF or Ceat tyres. Mine came with Ceat branded tyres. Meteor 350 also comes with Tubeless tyres as standard.

Here is the alloy wheel design.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-alloy-wheel-design.jpeg

When it comes to brakes, they don't have that bite. The braking is progressive and needs getting used to. The bike stops where we want to and inspires confidence. The bike is available with Dual Channel ABS as standard. No, ABS is non switchable.

Front Brakes is a 300mm disc with twin piston floating caliper.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-brakes_front.jpeg

Rear Brakes is a 270mm disc with single piston floating caliper.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-brakes_rear.jpeg

Front tyre is 100/90, 19 inchers tubeless and Rear tyre is 140/70 section 17 inchers tubeless radials.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-tyres.png

Treading looks like this
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-tyre-treads.png

Last edited by Aditya : 13th December 2020 at 19:24. Reason: Externally hosted image uploaded as attachment
rajeshkmoorthy is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 13:32   #2
BHPian

'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller

Continuing my review as I have exhausted my 30 images limit on my previous post.

Seats
It's such a great relief that there's finally a cruiser from the Royal Enfield stable that caters to shorter riders like me. With a seat height of 765mm and an optional touring seat that reduces the height by another 20mm to 745mm, the seat is very much comfortable and I was able to lay my feet on the ground flat without any struggle. Tall riders who are more than 6 feet in height might feel a little bit cramped in the available space.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-seats-1.jpeg

Rider Seat - Closer View
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-rider-seat-top-view.jpeg

Also visible is the quality double stitching.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-rider-seat-stitching.jpeg

Pillion Seat - Closer view with quality stitching.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-pillion-seats-closer-look.jpeg

The seats offer very good support and cushioning for those long rides. The seating posture is very much up right and your body and legs are in perfect 90 degree angle every time you ride.

The seats are spacious enough to carry a pillion and a rider. The pillion seat is a bit shorter than expected. The backrest provides very good support. In our trip to Bangalore and back, my wife felt that the pillion seat is very much comfortable and does not cause any pain. The pillion footage is a little rear-set and in times of hard braking, she felt that she was not stable. In case of emergency braking, the rear-set footage does not help to prevent the body being pushed forward and exerting weight on the rider.

Windscreen
The windscreen is large, clear and of very good quality. Even at speeds of 120 kph, the windscreen does not shake or vibrate. It's very easy to view through and it reduces the air resistance to a greater extent and minimal helmet buffeting. The windshield is able to contain buffeting up and until 60kmph post which, its felt heavily on the helmet. Thisis the case for short riders like me. For 6 foot and above riders, it will definitely be a problem. The windshield has a small opening just above the instrument cluster to let minimal amount of air to get through so that you don't feel sweaty on those hot summer rides.

This is how it looks for the rider
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-windshield-rider-view.jpeg

The small opening to let some air in
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-windshield-opening.jpeg

Windshield is held in place by good quality screws and with rubber cladding to prevent vibrations.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-windshield-screws.jpeg

Lights

The headlight is a H4-60/55W halogen unit with partial LED ring around it.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-headlights-led-ring.jpeg

The light throw is insufficient for touring. You might have to either upgrade your lights or install additional touring lights for that extra illumination. At night, the LED ring is very prominent and does not suit my taste.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-headlights-.jpeg

The rear brake is LED and also sports a partial LED ring around it. Also visible are the halogen indicators.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-brake-lights.jpeg

Instrument Cluster
The instrument cluster consists of 2 circular asymmetrical pods. The left side larger one is an analogue speedometer + MID unit. Speed dials are calibrated in kilometres and miles. The MID is a digital LCD unit provides you with the Time, Service reminder, fuel tank status (in 7 bars), gear position indicator, trip meters and odometer. Whilst there are two trip meters (A&B) provided, additionally there is one more called "Trip F" which comes up when the fuel tank capacity reaches 5 Litres. This will run upto 200 kms and gets reset once the fuel tank capacity exceeds 5 litres. In a nutshell, this is the DTE for this bike and its comes up when the Distance to Empty is 200 kms.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-instrument-cluster.jpeg
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-instrument-cluster_closer-look.jpeg

The second smaller unit on the right-hand side is exclusively for the tripper app that you will be installing in your mobile phone. This cluster is only used for displaying turn by turn navigation. This second unit is of low-resolution and does the work of showing the navigational details. When it is not showing the map, it shows you the time. There is always a time difference between the primary and the secondary cluster. Also to note that every time you are taking a break (switching off the vehicle), you have to redo this (search for your destination and activate navigation) again. This is a pain when you are touring and have to do this every time you start your vehicle. I think Royal Enfield can fix this by simple software update.

Trippr Navigation
Below are the steps to use the Trippr Navigation feature on the bike.

Open App --> Select "Navigate" -->Click on the Red Helmet --> App displays the device as "RE_DISP" --> Select
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-picture-1.png

Trippr device on the bike displays a 6 digit code. Enter the same on the app --> Device is now paired and it shows under "Paired devices" --> The Red Helmet changes colour to Green indicating that its online.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-picture-2.png

Click on "Get Directions" --> Search for your destination and select the right one --> Click "Navigate" --> Turn by turn navigation is now displayed on your bike's secondary instrument console.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-picture-3.png

Switchgear
The Switchgear is of very good quality. The new Rotary switches requires getting used to.

Left-hand side consists of the light switch (Pass/Hi-Beam/Low-beam - Rotary Switches), Indicators, Trip Meter switch, Horn & USB Charging point
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-switchgear_left.jpeg

The "I" switch is to toggle between multiple trip meters and long press resets the trip meters.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-left-handlebar-i-switch.jpeg

For the tourers amongst us, there is also a USB socket for charging your mobile devices on the go. The charging will work only when the engine is running. This is to save battery.

USB Charging point - Type A, 12V 2A output.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-usb-charging-point_open.jpeg

The right-hand side consists of starter switch combination (Engine Start/Engine kill - Rotary Switches), Hazard lights.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-switchgear_right.jpeg

Other Significant things

Horn - Single unit. Sounds better for a tourer. No need to upgrade.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-horn.jpeg

Toolbox
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-tool-box_contents.jpeg

No loose wires hanging anywhere. They are held on place by tags.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-wires-washers.png

RE Branding wherever possible. The bike screams "I am a Royal Enfield".
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-branding.png

4. Ownership experience

You have been MIY ("Make-It-Yours"elf). Now DIY (Do-It-Yourself)

Royal Enfield, in its official YouTube Channel, has provided a series of "Do-It-Yourself" videos for its customers. These videos consist of directions and demo of how to do some simple tasks yourself. Things like Engine oil change, Air Filter Replacement, Front Axle and Rear Axle Lubrication, Chain Lubrication, Headlamp Bulb replacement, Clutch ply adjustment etc. At the time of writing this review, there were 26 videos and new ones are being added regularly.

You can access the playlist here

These videos, with their instructions, are very helpful in being able to do these simple tasks by ourselves and thus reducing the need to go to the service centres for these. Once you get a hang of these, it will come handy when you are on a road trip. Even though its a playlist dedicated to "Meteor 350", we can extend these to other RE models as well as they are similar in nature.

You have been saying that you won't be buying a Royal Enfield. Why did you choose a bike from RE's stable and what changed?
  1. The primary reason for me to hate RE's bikes are Vibrations. RE has contained the vibrations in Meteor 350 to a greater extent.
  2. I wanted a bike that's simple and with not much of gadgets and gizmos. Reason: Since I am going to use the bike predominantly for touring, I will be doing some minor repairs/maintenance myself. Thats not possible in the new-age bikes like G310GS, Duke 390, TRK 502 & Z650.
  3. RE has more service centres across India than the other brands (except KTM which is handled by Bajaj). Also there are a lots of good mechanics who can service my RE in case if there is no service centre nearby.
  4. Last but not the least, you always tend to get attracted to your first love even though there are 100's of new options in the market

Accessories Planned
  1. Headlight Upgrade - Am not satisfied with the illumination provided by stock headlamps.
  2. Horn Upgrade - Need better sounding horns when you travel on highways often.
  3. Additional Lights for Emergency - Need this when you take the road less travelled.
  4. Panniers / Saddle Bags - for carrying my world with me.
  5. Tank Bags - For Mobiles and Cameras
  6. Mobile Holder - Using GPS
  7. Bike Cover - To save from Cat scratches

I gave the bike for the first service as I have covered almost 800 kms in 3 days. First service includes Engine oil change, Oil filter change and a full checkup.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-screenshot-20201211-9.10.34-pm.png

Conclusion
I hope I have covered everything that I observed on my bike. If I have left anything, please feel free to add. I will keep posting my ownership experience in the same thread. Look out for the same. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by rajeshkmoorthy : 11th December 2020 at 21:41.
rajeshkmoorthy is offline   (86) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 07:29   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Motorcycle Section. Thanks for sharing!

Your sexy bike is going to our homepage today . Ride safe, bud.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 07:44   #4
BHPian

Hey man,
You've got yourself a mean machine there. I was initially going gaga after the H'ness (after reading Sebring's amazing thread) but the Meteor is making a place next to the H'ness in my head.

All the best!
Sreesh
Sreesh1009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 09:29   #5
BHPian

Not gonna lie, I was waiting for a RE meteor 350 ownership review.

I must say that your bike looks stunning in that configuration.

At the end I want to wish you happy miles on your RE. Ride safe and enjoy.

Btw , how is the exhaust note ?
Eshan Joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 09:33   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshan Joshi View Post
Not gonna lie, I was waiting for a RE meteor 350 ownership review.

I must say that your bike looks stunning in that configuration.

At the end I want to wish you happy miles on your RE. Ride safe and enjoy.

Btw , how is the exhaust note ?
The exhaust note is meaty and with a single bass-heavy thump. It does not have triple notes as a thunderbird or a Classic.
rajeshkmoorthy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 10:04   #7
BHPian

Congratulations! Could you please post some pictures of the bike as a whole and that of the personalized badge.

Last edited by crdi : 12th December 2020 at 10:20.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 10:29   #8
BHPian

Congratulations Rajesh, that indeed is a leap forward from Royal Enfield. Having owned Thunderbird for a decade now , I am pretty confident that this new avatar is going to serve you for many happy miles, would look forward to your posts on the its extended period ownership experience. Happy riding!!

Mods: On a different note there have been at least 2 comments from me which have not been posted, neither I have a message on why they were not. Hope this is going to be posted, please let me know if there is something I am missing.
Akhileshmdp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 10:52   #9
BHPian

Thank you for the very well put together review!

I have been meaning to go for a test ride for some time now!

How is the ride quality on broken roads?

Wish you many happy and safe mile with your bike!
Mafia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 11:00   #10
BHPian

Very nice reviews and happy mile crunching. it looks gorgeous. Could you post the custom badge photos? Also curious to know why honda CBR350 was not in consideration. Did you find an obvious problem or something else?

Last edited by Shashankjk : 12th December 2020 at 11:00. Reason: Typo corrected
Shashankjk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 11:40   #11
BANNED

Re: 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller

The Meteor is essentially a successor to the Thunderbird and that’s evident in its overall silhouette. The Meteor is aimed at riders who prefer long-distance touring on their pair of wheels. And to make cruising a comfortable affair, there’s a well-padded and spacious rider’s seat and a pillion back rest. The latest Meteor 350 is one of the most refined product Royal Enfield has built. Fit, finish, ride quality and equipment-wise this would compete with most of the modern product.
Old 12th December 2020, 12:15   #12
BHPian

Excellent review and I'm very happy for you my man. Here's to many more kms.

I just feel like it's unfair on the part of Royal Enfield to keep increasing their bike prices steadily and not doing anything on their part to add even a little bit of extra juice to their machines. These things have produced between 18 to 25 horsepower for as long as I remember. I got a red electra 350 myself in 2011 and sold it in 2020.
4Runner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 12:19   #13
BHPian

Here you go.

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-img_1414-1.jpeg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-img_1415-1.jpeg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-img_1416-1.jpeg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-img_1417-1.jpeg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-img_1419-1.jpeg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-img_1420-1.jpeg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Review : 'Meteor'itic rise of a traveller-img_1421-1.jpeg

The ride quality is good.

Solo ride - The rear suspension is on the stiffer side. Takes care of almost all potholes and speed breakers with ease. Large and deep potholes can be felt hard if you are riding faster.

With Pillion - Rear suspension becomes a bit softer and gives you a cushy ride.

Note : The front wheel psi should be 32 and not 25 as we normally do for other bikes.

Last edited by bblost : 12th December 2020 at 12:26. Reason: back to back
rajeshkmoorthy is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 12:31   #14
BHPian

Thanks.

When it comes to RE not including more power to their bikes, below is my assumption.

All RE's are made to be cruisers. For cruisers, RE thinks that the right amount of power that can take the bike to a cruising sweet spot of 80-110 kph would be sufficient. At the outset it might seem that the power figures are almost same but we should also take into consideration the weight reduction achieved on this bike (~15 kgs lighter). At 191 kgs + rider + pillion + luggage, the bike can easily cruise the whole day. For that, IMHO, the power that is provided is sufficient.
rajeshkmoorthy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2020, 12:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashankjk View Post
Very nice reviews and happy mile crunching. it looks gorgeous. Could you post the custom badge photos? Also curious to know why honda CBR350 was not in consideration. Did you find an obvious problem or something else?
There is no problem with CB350 (Hi'ness). Its a wonderful bike and both are almost similar mechanically.
  1. I was afraid that this is a new bike sold in Honda BigWing dealership and might face the same fate as CB300R. Also, was worried whether it can be serviced at any service centres across India. When I called the showroom in Kilpauk, I was not provided any concrete answers (read as "No Answers").
  2. Seat height of 800mm against the seat height of 745mm in Meteor
  3. I liked the design of Meteor more than CB350
  4. No test drive vehicles were available in Chennai during my search.
  5. First love - RE
rajeshkmoorthy is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks