Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2020, 20:00   #46
BHPian

Re: Looking to replace my KTM 390 Adventure with a parallel-twin. Options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
You're right - I have heard of this from a friend who rides both a Impulse and a Versys. Have also heard similar opinions from some reviews of the Versys.

The few times I've ridden a V Strom or a Multistrada in the city, I've been very impressed by how easy they're to ride in the city. I genuinely think both would be great for commuting as well as touring.
I own a VStrom. Nutcracker has said that his commute goes through very congested parts of the city. The Versys and VStrom are big and heavy touring bikes. They are absolutely not designed to be daily commuters in heavy traffic. Getting one for this kind of use is a very bad idea. For the rider and for the bike.

You can consider using these for commute if you have light traffic and relatively open roads.

I love the idea of getting an Ather. That's a fine choice.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 10:41   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
Going to do more research on this and will hopefully take a decision in the coming days.
Stock filter, the stock exhaust works just fine. With filter you will feel a slightly fatter mid-range, at least that is what I felt. But the combo makes the bike lot more rideable. I would not recommend changing OE airbox and go for conical type for our kind of environment.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 11:41   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Stock filter, the stock exhaust works just fine. With filter you will feel a slightly fatter mid-range, at least that is what I felt. But the combo makes the bike lot more rideable. I would not recommend changing OE airbox and go for conical type for our kind of environment.
So the aftermarket filters are the same shape and size as the stick one and fit into the original OE filter box?

Can you share the model numbers and links please (Indian sellers preferable)?

Of the ones you've suggested, which one would you recommend over the others?

And what's the price of these aftermarket ones and are they clean n refit or do you need to replace these after X amount of time or distance?

Ditto for the spark plug please. For the first gen Duke 390.

Cheers, Doc
Old 17th November 2020, 11:46   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
So the aftermarket filters are the same shape and size as the stick one and fit into the original OE filter box?
Yes replacement filters are a direct plonk on.

Quote:
Can you share the model numbers and links please (Indian sellers preferable)?
K&N one I had shared few posts back, and for adventure 390 it is same as Duke 390 second gen. Infact filter is same for even gen 1 but there is an additional clip attachment in second gen.

Quote:
Of the ones you've suggested, which one would you recommend over the others?
I have used only K&M in my Duke and Adventure. BMC also has good reviews as per other users in Adventure 390 group. Never compared them so cannot say one is better than the other.

Quote:
And what's the price of these aftermarket ones and are they clean n refit or do you need to replace these after X amount of time or distance?
They are supposed to be lifetime with a million mile guarantee as per K&N. Yes you get cleaning and recharge kit and pretty easy DIY.

Quote:
Ditto for the spark plug please. For the first gen Duke 390.
First gen duke you would need to check if the plugs are same, not very sure. Just google for NGK plug finder.
Jaggu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 11:58   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes replacement filters are a direct plonk on.
Thanks buddy.

4.5-6k for a filter. That's a lot of money for just "feel" without any tangible measureable gains on something that is near perfect and has no glitches as far as I'm concerned.

This brings home starkly to me why I got out of Bullets and into KTMs in the first place.

Ready to Race. Right off the shop floor.

I must also add here that years ago I got sucked into the entire pod filter thing and had an UNI on my Doppie for a couple of seasons. It could be a coincidence but the engine needed to be rebuilt post that and there was quite marked wear on the ring to bore clearances and drop in compression that was not seen for the number of years earlier that the bike breathed through the stock cotton mesh filter that has been used on Bullets for decades.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 17th November 2020 at 12:06.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 13:59   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks buddy.

4.5-6k for a filter. That's a lot of money for just "feel" without any tangible measureable gains on something that is near perfect and has no glitches as far as I'm concerned.
It is a perceptible difference at least in my Adventure 390 and the remapped duke gen 1 390 I had. Cost well it is a call one has to take, but ya no way cheap, I also agree.

Quote:
I must also add here that years ago I got sucked into the entire pod filter thing and had an UNI on my Doppie for a couple of seasons.
Never been a fan of pod and open filters, they are just not designed for the dusty and wet conditions that prevail in our country. Same reason why I will not recommend the open Uni filters sold for adventure bikes. I prefer a closed box with OE snorkles + direct plonk on replacement filters any day. They offer better protection, yes flow would be less compared to an open pod, but at least more peace of mind. Another thing to consider is the filter has to be cleaned and oiled at regular interval for it to work as intended.

Again if one does lot of offroad use, I also would prefer a stock filter for the additional protection it provides. And they are pretty cheap to keep changing.

I have not gone aftermarket on the Tiger due to combination of the above and due to the fact that it is a pain to access the filters to clean, whereas replacing the OE one at 10k km is more practical. But on the adv 390 I needed that additional low end support to make it more liveable in day to day city commute. And Duke 390 just would not give the results of the remap without the filter, it was running too rich with the stock filters.

So it has to be a conscious call, and there is no one size fit solution. I guess we are digressing into a completely different discussion here.
Jaggu is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 14:25   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So it has to be a conscious call, and there is no one size fit solution. I guess we are digressing into a completely different discussion here.
The reason why I brought it up and the reason why I feel it should be put out here is that there is quite a lot of research which proves with scientific method and data that the reality (on engine parameters and wear) is contrary to claims by the manufacturers of such performance filters.

And I am including your replacement type paper element filters here. Not just the oiled bi-layer foam element pod filters which were debunked a decade ago.

Please take a look at this paper by John et al .... the findings are quite conclusive.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...cle_Parameters

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 15:05   #53
Senior - BHPian

Another good study ... sorry time to edit limit has been crossed.

https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

It clearly shows that the K&N (and the UNI ... but we are both agreed they suck) not only has the lowest capacity to hold dirt, but also the second highest in terms of letting dirt through (second only to the UNI). The lowest amount of initial restriction. The lowest time to saturation. And highest amount of dirt let through during that time.

It's not simply a perceptional performance gain or a money thing.

But an engine life thing.

I know from experience that once an engine is opened, it never feels exactly the same as before.

Would I take that over slightly freer revving, punch, etc etc and the pretty sexy intake roar.

In retrospect, years down the line, never again.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 17th November 2020 at 15:11.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 17:37   #54
BHPian

Quote:
I guess we are digressing into a completely different discussion here.
While this is true, I feel there is still tons of value added from the discussion, atleast for a n00b like me. I have learnt so much here, topics that I have no other avenue to discuss on.

Quote:

https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
Thanks for sharing. This was an enlightening read. Good find!

Back to the point, regarding the K&N filter, like @Jaggu mentioned, there is no clear yes or a no on whether it improves performance. Some people say there is a perceivable gain, whereas some on YouTube claim there is no benefit to be felt as such. It a choice one has to make on their own, as per their needs.

As an anecdote, there was a pretty exhaustive review of the 390 Adventure by an American duo on YouTube (once I remember the name I will definitely share it). This review wasn't like the other 90% reviews who say the same things, it was actually pretty deep. Those guys seemed like experienced riders cum mechanics who knew what they were talking about. The guy explicitly mentioned how amazing the KTM 390 Adventure stock filters are. He even goes on to say, in a pleasently surprised tone with a smile on his face, "the air filters are actually made in India by Bajaj, and their performance is exceptional. What a good job by Bajaj!"

Last edited by nutcracker : 17th November 2020 at 17:42.
nutcracker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 18:50   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please take a look at this paper by John et al .... the findings are quite conclusive.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...cle_Parameters

Cheers, Doc
Link shows a report by Trichur engineering college students and on diesel sumo.

Quote:

[url]https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html[/ur
Did not go through it in detail but is based on diesel engines I believe. Diesel I have used BMC on the remapped Thar and there it made a huge difference Vs stock. Revability and power delivery side it made positive difference, though in a stock tune vehicle it really did not make a difference.

I am not trying to brush off your point of view, just that it is a long drawn debate over decades and we also had a thread here. If we are to continue, let us do that in that thread.

My first K&N was on my esteem in 2001 since then I have used after market in 4 vehicles out of maybe 7 vehicles till date. Always had positive experience and yes they do clog up fast in India, but has always worked and giving my perception ratings after paying for the filter

Esteem 1.3 Petrol carb'ed stock. 3/5 K&N
Thar Crde remapped diesel. 4.5/5 BMC
Duke 390 Gen 1, remapped. 4.5/5 K&N
Grand Vitara 2.4 petrol, stock except the plug. 5/5 K&N.
Adventure 390, stock except the plug. 3.5/5 K&N.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 18:56   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
The guy explicitly mentioned how amazing the KTM 390 Adventure stock filters are. He even goes on to say, in a pleasently surprised tone with a smile on his face, "the air filters are actually made in India by Bajaj, and their performance is exceptional. What a good job by Bajaj!"
One of the BIGGEST plusses of the KTMs for old school aggressive riders has been the fact that they are so quick and fast straight out of the factory, that 99% of the grizzled racers find it takes a long long time (if ever) for their skills to come close to pushing the limits of the bikes.

Result is that you ride more and tinker with the bikes less (to suck more out of them) ... coz they already come with more than what most can properly handle.

The other HUGE plus is that you have a service and spares structure in place that essentially now means that you do not need to find a decent mechanic who will adopt you into his family (not the other way around) and give the time and attention to your bike that you believe it deserves. And spares as and when you need them at the same outlet, without indefinite waiting periods, roaming in crowded peth areas dealing with surly stockists who believe they are selling their own personal testicles to you ... cheap, and/or importing better alternatives for an arm and a leg.

So yup, coming back to the topic, the KTM you have is an amazing piece of machinery. But it was clearly not built to carry a pillion. Not to mention a senior one who would need to first take rock climbing classes to get on to the rear seat of the Adv in the first place.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 17:54   #57
BHPian

The Interceptor 650 has good usable torque throughout, making it very good to ride in the city. I would be the last person to suggest a bike from the RE stable , inspite of owning a standard for 8 years. However, the Interceptor has a gem of a engine with very good breaks. Long distance touring is also effortless, though you may encounter wind blasts at higher speeds. Another option would be a pre-owned Yamaha R3, out of the list that you have suggested. The power terrain is one of the best in the segment, with very low cost of maintenance. It's a good sports tourer that ticks most of the boxes, make sure you spent enough time to check if suitable for you ergonomically.
drift87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 22:25   #58
BHPian

The interceptor has phenomenal torque, low in the rev range and is very usable. But as lots of members have pointed out, that's only half the story. The other half is

1.Pathetic ergonomics for the pillion. It can probably be fixed with aftermarket pegs but its a hack at the end of the day. It should not have come from RE like this.

2. Slow, crawling traffic, coupled with warm/hot climate is sure to give you tandoori legs in the city. The bike heats up like crazy.
Old 5th December 2020, 15:02   #59
BHPian

Reviving this thread:

Been hearing amazing things about the Meteor 350. How would you consider that as a replacement to the Adventure 390? Considering that I sell my Adv 390 for 2.8 - 3.0, I also end up with extra cash if I go for the Meteor 350.

Also, while I haven't test driven the Interceptor 650 / Continental 650, I've been hearing good things about it from people and from YouTube reviews. The only gripe I have about it is pillion comfort for long rides. For short rides the higher pillion foot pegs might do, but they will for sure cause problems for longer rides.

Also, the KTM 390 Adv isn't a bike meant to kept long term (~10 years). I think the Enfields will solve that problem.

Another option looming is the Honda CB 350, but the REs outdo them in terms of customizations and modularity.
Old 5th December 2020, 16:42   #60
BHPian

Meteor 350 by the looks of it seems to have a smaller shock due to the thunderbird type frame at the rear. It may have a reduced susp.travel compared to the honda 350 and so rear seat comfort is questionable. The honda with the more "conventional" type frame seems to have a longer rear shock than the meteor.

Suggest you try out both with a pillion as length of the shock doesn't always mean the damping or compression might be poor. Better to try for yourself and test them both on some not so great roads.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks