Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2007, 10:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Boss, spark plug will help when your combustion chamber faces a very different load, ie nitrous or turbo or way different fuel or something. For a stock bike it's useless.
Old 8th April 2007, 17:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

ok then the irridium plug should help if i am adding additives like toulene to the fuel(93 octane petrol) as mentioned one of the other threads, that upto 40% of toulene can be added to the 93 octane petrol and not safe to add beyond that percentage.

or if i fit in a nitrous cylinder to the bike ok thanks for the info...
Old 8th April 2007, 17:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

If you add toluene expect your petrol pipes etc to last a couple of weeks max. And how exactly do you think a higher octane number will help a stock bike?!
Old 9th April 2007, 01:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

dude i do not have the complete info about it i just read about toulene for the first time in one of the other threads i will send you the link as soon as i find it ok...
Old 9th April 2007, 01:22   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
ok then the irridium plug should help if i am adding additives like toulene to the fuel(93 octane petrol) as mentioned one of the other threads, that upto 40% of toulene can be added to the 93 octane petrol and not safe to add beyond that percentage.

or if i fit in a nitrous cylinder to the bike ok thanks for the info...
I don’t see the need for high octane petrol unless you bump up the compression of your bike.

Can you tell me how much you think you can bump up your bikes power through the mods you have in mind?

5%, 10%? Even if you manage to do that, it translates into a gain of 1.33bhp at crank, factor in a transmission loss of at least 15-20%; you will barely get the benefit of 1 bhp on the rear wheel (almost the same power as the new cbz). Your bike would still butchered by 200’s, 220’s and Karizma’s and you will loose your bikes warranty, reliability would be a big issue as well. Not to mention the big bucks you will end up spending and all the run around you would have to do.

If you really want to do some tinkering, get a second hand Yamaha 135 and use it as a project bike (leave your unicorn stock). 2st performance modding is easier then modding a 4st single.
Old 9th April 2007, 02:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Boss, to put it simply, toluene will screw your bike up no end. And filters and spark plugs are useless. You can try getting a port job done to the bike head, though I'm pretty sure no one in HYD can do that. The free flow, again, maybe a quarter horsepower or something.

I would advise you to stick to the stock bike. If you are looking for something more powerful, upgrade to a bigger/faster bike. Indian bikes are not too mod friendly.
Old 9th April 2007, 02:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

okay man i am searching for a second hand karizma too to fit in my budget let me see if can get my hands on a 6months to a year old one to buy... or i think i will need to live with a unicorn...

any other advices?
Old 9th April 2007, 03:01   #23
Senior - BHPian

Nope. Zma is a good bet. You can port it to get about 15 bhp on the wheel. Which would mean about 18+ on the crank.

Or just buy a stock RD. It'll go faster than anything else.
Old 9th April 2007, 04:01   #24
BHPian

BOSSES! 1 request,i have been watching this thread with a lot of intrest,Now here's why->My close friend has bought one v.recently and i want to gift him some sane upgrades without compromising on reliablity or drivablity.

It may be marginal or noticable-As long as it is...Noticable.

Now before people start suggesting me to read the name of the thread,i request you to kindly put a list of parts(in any order)with what can be(theoreticaly)expected on terms of performance with the package.

You guys will have my best wishes(and sweets if nearby).Sorry guys!i just could not wait for the "thats it" post(s).
Old 9th April 2007, 04:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Well, if you are serious, you could upjet the carb, and put an aftermarket airfilter. Or maybe try a bigger carb. And there's always scope for a port job on the head. But I don't think you can go much further than that. Maybe we should think of a twin-cam swap into the chassis.
Old 9th April 2007, 06:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Or maybe try a bigger carb.

Were you drunk when you wrote this?

Engine breathing 101: bigger carb will never help on a stock engine.

People, here's a heads up for you. Bigger carburettors, different spark plugs, freeflow exhaust, air filters, are all meant to augment the real modifications like cams, flowed head, increased CR etc. Not to replace them.

someone said go for a two-stroke bike. now thats really good advice. you can port away and mod away to glory on them and see some REAL gains without spending savage amounts of money.
Old 9th April 2007, 06:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Or just buy a stock RD. It'll go faster than anything else.
My 2cents, unless you know couple of really good RD mechanics and have the patience of a saint and deep pockets (ok one of this would do), stay away from the RD’s.

Most are in a pathetic condition and are nothing but a pile of junk, which gets sold for a small fortune to unsuspecting buyers due to its reputation. So unless you meet the above criteria and are willing to spend your precious time and money to bring them back to their former glory, don’t buy one!

Last edited by yogesh sarkar : 9th April 2007 at 06:41.
Old 9th April 2007, 06:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert fox View Post
BOSSES! 1 request,i have been watching this thread with a lot of intrest,Now here's why->My close friend has bought one v.recently and i want to gift him some sane upgrades without compromising on reliablity or drivablity.

It may be marginal or noticable-As long as it is...Noticable.

Now before people start suggesting me to read the name of the thread,i request you to kindly put a list of parts(in any order)with what can be(theoreticaly)expected on terms of performance with the package.

You guys will have my best wishes(and sweets if nearby).Sorry guys!i just could not wait for the "thats it" post(s).
If he is a good friend of yours, then rather than gifting him “modification parts” get him a good branded helmet or good riding gloves. They will prove more useful than a stupid filter or a daba can!
Old 9th April 2007, 16:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

@rider60: Basically the Unicorn and the CBZ extreme has the same engine but with minor differences. CBZ extreme but is supposed to be better than the Unicorn powerwise. The differences could be Cam, CDI, ports,comp ratio.

Start with a basic port job, then get the compression increased. Use a bigger carb like a BS29 (CV type) and jet it properly. Get a freer flowing filter. I wouldn't advise in changing the exhaust at this point. Then try the extreme cam i'm sure that i've read somewhere about the xtreme having an aggressive cam. You should be able to put it.

Don't add toluene or boric acid or whatever in petrol and engine oil. toluene will destroy the rubber parts in the carb. After the mods use a good quality petrol like the xtra premium.
Old 9th April 2007, 16:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Were you drunk when you wrote this?

Engine breathing 101: bigger carb will never help on a stock engine.

People, here's a heads up for you. Bigger carburettors, different spark plugs, freeflow exhaust, air filters, are all meant to augment the real modifications like cams, flowed head, increased CR etc. Not to replace them.
Agreed, but when you think of the matter that many indian bikes are undercarbed when it comes from the factory changing over to a bigger carb is a wise decision to gain more power. Most often it does work in the case of fourstrokes sold here especially if it came with a CV carb.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks