Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2020, 20:19   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Lola is home - My TVS Apache RR310 BS6 ownership review

RR310 doesn't squeak? Lol, that has to be the joke of the day, it is actualy worthy to make a music video by giving audio effects from just the bike, it was that bad in my bike. The vibrations get to you after sometime, it's unbearable. The major two reasons i just sold it off. I had some great time with it, but the above two features in RR, were not something i was very fond of.

Last edited by AtheK : 18th November 2020 at 20:20.
AtheK is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 20:34   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
Also, R15 was officially recalled for plastic misalignment issues. Now, people cannot claim they never had that on their bike, unfortunately. And it was not batch related, FYI. It was for all the bikes produced.
Don't know where this is coming from but it really was batch related, this affected the pre-ABS bikes (2018 model), wherein the tank had misalignment issues which were later resolved, hence my bike never had it, in-fact touchwood it is totally rattle and squeak free.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 18th November 2020 at 20:43.
Old 18th November 2020, 22:33   #33

Congratulations on your first big bike! Lola sure is pretty.

The RR310 was on my list of probables too, but gave up due to the full fairing. It is quite impressive for an Indian manufacturer to offer the given list of features on a motorcycle. The riding modes are my personal favorite.

TVS honestly offers some of the best build and fit-finish quality among Indian manufacturers. Compare that to Bajaj and there's a world of a difference. Many BHPians have already cleared out some issues you mentioned, so not going there again.

Sometimes I did feel that NVH levels on the RR310 were better than the D390, but after reading your review, I suppose it's the same issue with every single cylinder sub-400cc motorcycle. Having ridden their Japanese counterparts, the vibes do get annoying after a while.

It is overall a great choice and a quality product, for which I wouldn't shy away from spending my hard earned 2.9L

Cheers! Happy riding!
amoghk98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 07:42   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
I know about myself sir, i don't need any such validation. Been in the industry from a very long time now.
Mate, it's an ownership review and as a owner, he shared his dislikes.

You don't have to be so condescending in all your responses. There is a way to disagree gracefully rather than sounding like you know it all. Tone down for the sweet Lord's sake!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 07:46   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Please be calm, polite & respectful even in debate. STRICTLY NO PERSONAL ATTACKS or rude posts on Team-BHP.

Some posts have been edited on this thread and members infracted / banned.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 10:08   #36
BHPian

Hi Naparajito,

I am really sorry but in your entire reply, you evaded my question about ownership of the RR310. From whatever you have written, it seems you have only ridden the bike and never owned it.

Hence I understand if you may not have noticed these issues since most of us who are interested in riding a bike, never do tend to look at the small things. You can only notice them as an owner, when your money is invested in the product.

As always, everyone is entitled to thier opinion and all opinions are welcome here. Best luck for all your journey's and endeavours
RPRIME95 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th November 2020, 18:25   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
The Harrier in cars and the RR310 in bikes tell us that Indian companies too can come up with stunning, timeless, head turning designs.
Also their lackadaisical approach to quality and fit and finish..

A very nicely written review.. Congratulations on the new steed..
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 21:22   #38
BHPian

3000km Update !!

Covered a lot of kms thanks to a large road trip. Took the bike from Palghar - Nashik - Vadodara -Palghar over a span of 4 days. Sharing the route below.

Lola is home - My TVS Apache RR310 BS6 ownership review-triproute.jpg

Bike performed exceptionally well. The build quality shined through. Went through some really bad gouges (Yes I know, pothole seemed a nicer description) at about 70kph. The impact felt so bad, I thought I would lose my rims or suspension. Thankfully nothing happened.

Overall I am getting excellent mileage even after ripping through the highways at 100-110kph. Below is the total trip reading since taking delivery.

Lola is home - My TVS Apache RR310 BS6 ownership review-tripcdetails.jpg

Issues observed -

1. I never noticed this until the highway run, but the bike makes a howling sound when at speed on a empty highway. Sounds exactly like how a truck tyre sounds at high speed on highway. Nothing concerning, its just that once you hear it, you always get it even on local roads, albeit less pronounced.
2. I almost had a run in with an Activa riding squid in Nashik (thanks ABS). Only my right mirror came in contact. Post this, that mirror now starts shaking after 110kph. Left is fine. No idea what's wrong. Will have the SVC check it out soon at 2nd service.

Modifications Made

1. Ceramic Coating - Soon after first service, I decided to go for a ceramic coating since I could already see minor scratches from just normal usage. It only cost me Rs.4500 for a 9H coating backed by a 2 year warranty.

Lola is home - My TVS Apache RR310 BS6 ownership review-ceramiccoating.jpg

2. Tank Grips - I had actually ordered this long back, but was waiting for the ceramic coating to get done. They help tremendously in maintaining grip while braking or cornering. The tank pad helps in preventing scratches.

Lola is home - My TVS Apache RR310 BS6 ownership review-tankgrips.jpg

3. Underseat seals - Now this is bound to be controversial. But it has helped a lot in weather-proofing the bike's internals, especially the battery compartment.

Lola is home - My TVS Apache RR310 BS6 ownership review-pillionseat.jpg

Lola is home - My TVS Apache RR310 BS6 ownership review-riderseat.jpg

How to apply - You will require a double sided tape (also called tissue tape), fine pointy scissors and rubber tubing. This can be bought from bicycle repair shop owners. It is the tube they use as valve tubes in bicycle tyres. Now, first measure the length of tube you will need. I used about 4.5 feet. Its probably good to get 5 feet of tube incase something goes wrong.
Next, take the tube and measure the runs for the underseat area. Note that you cannot cover all the sections, so target the ones you can access. Next, cut the tube along its length for each run. Now comes the tricky part. First you have to make all your cuts for all runs. Then take the double sided tape, and start cutting the straightest parts. Dont bend the tape, it will come off. Start applying the tape on the edges of the underseat. Half tape on top, other half folded over lengthwise over the body. This will take time and a lot of patience. Once done, peel off the top protective layer slowly and carefully. Now immediately apply the tubing by opening it up and wrapping it over the tape. The reason to cut the tube is for clearance issue. The seat wont close with the whole tube applied. I tried
Repeat this process until you have covered all the accessible area under the seat. Some areas you will have to be creative for the tape and tube to work but it can be done. Finally check all the tube runs, if any have come off, press and hold for some time. If still not holding, replace the tape with a fresh cut.

Post this put the seats back on. I strongly advise leaving it for some time, about a day in the sun if possible. Then go for a ride. Take a pillion if you can. The weight seals the tube firmly in place.

Headlights - I honestly dont know what to say. I spent almost an hour with this to no avail. The adjustment just doesnt have that much impact on visibility. Nor you can adjust freely. The range is pretty limited. I am posting the panel and screw location for horizontal adjustment, but as always, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Lola is home - My TVS Apache RR310 BS6 ownership review-sidepanel.jpg

Lola is home - My TVS Apache RR310 BS6 ownership review-leftsideheadlight.jpg

Lola is home - My TVS Apache RR310 BS6 ownership review-rightsideheadlight.jpg

Conclusion - Overall very very impressed with the bike. I was almost nitpicking and looking for issues, but the bike has always triumphed my expectations. I honestly never expected to find a supersport bike to be this comfortable. Even my friends riding pillion said it was good enough for short journeys. Could not have gotten a greater compliment. One thing is for sure, this bike is a keeper.

Looking forward to many more kms with Lola in the years to come.

One of the most mesmerising views from my ride

Lola is home - My TVS Apache RR310 BS6 ownership review-sceneryimage.jpg
RPRIME95 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 12:13   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPRIME95 View Post
Overall I am getting excellent mileage even after ripping through the highways at 100-110kph. Below is the total trip reading since taking delivery.
Wow, Lola looks awesome post that ceramic coating. Keep her shining, she deserves that.

Also the mileage figures are quite impressive considering the average speed and the top speed which you hit !!

Looking forward to more updates. Especially the fix for the headlight issue.
Old 9th January 2021, 16:56   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinkbhaskar View Post
Looking forward to more updates. Especially the fix for the headlight issue.
I actually forgot to give my opinion on the headlight throw in the update. I had t drive from Valsad to Vadodara which is about 3-4 hours in evening to night conditions. For normal highway cruising, the headlights were fine. I did not face any issue in navigating through the traffic on the highway.

A couple of close calls came due to the low beam not being high enough. Now I tried to raise the level, but you can only move the alignment so far. It has reached its limit. I feel that TVS focused solely on the aesthetics here, since it is quite common knowledge that projectors are not really made for focusing at two points simultaneously.

A great example is the Pulsar RS200. I always thought it was a design decision. But no, the advantage that bike has is that the left and right bulbs focus differently. Hence you have full illumination on low beam as well as high beam so that none is compromised. Now its not significantly better than the RR310, but it better enough to be a much safer option.
RPRIME95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 23:40   #41
BHPian

5000km Update !! Second Service done

So finally done with 5000kms. Time for the second service.

I was actually astonished with the actual cost. If you do not have anything to replace or fix, the actual service cost is just Rs.250 for the consumables . I mean this is just brilliant. I remember paying the same for my Discover 100T every service.

Obviously something had to give, so fate had it that an Activa rider (No helmet, obviously) bumped into my right mirror stalk at an unmarked and signal-less intersection. Now I didn't realize it first, but during the service, the technician checked and found that the support block was torn clean off. And this caused the left side support block to loosen (Both supports are mounted to the same fixed bar). So that was Rs.200 for the support block and Rs.400 :( for the labour since the whole front fairing had to be removed. Hence took a nice Rs.980 blow to my wallet.

Apart from the labour cost, everything else was pretty reasonable. Lola is performing admirably as ever, returning a combined fuel efficiency of 36kmpl even with me going 100-110kph on the highways most of the time. Many people had concerns that the modes were just a gimmick, but I think my use of Urban in the city and Sport on the highway are contributing greatly to this mileage than anything else. One more thing that I would like to share is that the amount of vibes have gone down significantly over time. I believe this to be the result of the engine settling in now, but some other factors are also important here, mainly Tyre Pressure and Chain lubrication. I say that because I have observed the change in handling and overall smoothness due to just basic ignorance about these parts. And it can happen to anyone, especially the Tyre Pressure situation. The correct tyre pressure and a lubricated (& clean) chain are key to smooth operation. Now here are where most riders miss, the correct tyre pressure is to be set according to the manual, but taking into account the seasonal conditions. And a clean lubricated chain is very different from a "lubricated" chain.

Those who can check their tyre pressures before every ride, do so. For those who cannot, schedule atleast weekly trips to a Petrol Pump with a working air filler station. I follow a simple guide, in summer fill up to recommended specs or 1-2psi lower (depends on heat conditions). In winter, fill up 1-2 psi more to adjust for the cold weather. In rainy seasons, the recommended is the best, since you want the optimal grip condition, not more, not less. As for the chain, clean and lubricate whenever you can visibly see the chain looking greasy (dont go by km range, the chain condition depends on your surroundings as well). A clean and lubed chain should look smooth and tidy. Anything else requires cleaning and lubrication.

Looking forward to completing 10000km before my 3rd service (with 36kmpl, if I can manage it), fingers crossed !
RPRIME95 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks