Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2020, 12:57   #16
BHPian

Re: Honda Activa : 20 years & 2 crore customers up

We have the first generation at home, bought in 2003 and had an engine rework 2 years ago, the scooter is running trouble free, while i can hear everyone around me having issues with the cold start in the morning, our grandpa scooter starts very easily. I don't think i'll ever give it away.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 13:17   #17
BHPian

I still have my 16 year old Activa with me. Except cold start issues and rock hard suspension, it is a great scooter. As some one already mentioned, it is fill it, shut it, forget it type scooter. This was our only vehicle in the initial years and I even clocked 300 km on it in a day. Even after 16 years, once it is warmed up in the morning, it rides extremely smooth. I was complaining that Honda keep on omitting telescopic shock absorbers on activa, however eventually they addressed it in 6th gen. Also compared to 2004, where only Kinetic Nova was the competition, now people have equal/better options to look for from suzuki, TVS n Yamaha. I just want to add that activa was the vehicle that gave leas troubles to us during the ownership period.

Last edited by sreejithkk : 30th November 2020 at 13:19. Reason: Spell check
sreejithkk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 15:17   #18
BHPian

I am also fortunate to have a Honda Active 2009 model. In-fact this was my first vehicle purchase after I got a job. It comes with lots of memories and has always been a constant companion before my wife came into my life. Its still the same, I have run it for 68 thousand Kilometres and it has never given me any sort of trouble over the 10 plus years of ownership. Proud to own it and intend to keep it till every single part of it disintegrates!
chetancm7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 20:58   #19
BHPian

As a family man, happy to see this scooter has managed to put a lot of people on the road and the convenience it offers. I am sure many would agree (especially Men) that this scooter has encouraged women to get their license and handle the daily chores without depending on anyone else.

But as a car enthusiast, the problem is the same. It has managed to put a LOT of people ON the road! :P Since there is no clutch and dynamics to bother, I dedicate a lot of battle scars on my car to these wonderful scooters. Simply a nightmare and always keeps me on my toes when driving the car, you never know where they spring up suddenly. Count the Dio mania in Bangalore and their rowdy baby style! The LED lights are another innovation in torture as someone already mentioned in the above posts.

And on a lighter note, I see the scooters replacing the TVS 50's as a load carrier for many shops. Nevertheless a simple piece of innovation which has truly revolutionized transport. Hate it or love it you will have a scooter in home for doing the beater duties surely! Though I love bikes, the ease and practicality of a scooter can never be ignored.
chinmaypillay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 21:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Everything related to Honda Activa in terms of performance, comfort, reliability is phenomenal except for one thing - "LED HEADLIGHT".
Totally agree the highbeam and the LED headlight are the biggest issues. I have had to fold in my ORVMs whenever there is Honda Activa behind me to avoid the glare hitting my face.
Old 30th November 2020, 22:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

The Honda Activa is indeed the king of it's segment. Something like what the Innova does. There are far better scooters out there, but going by numbers the Activa is far ahead. The Suzuki Access and TVS Jupiter are formidable competition and I prefer them over the Activa for Ride comfort. But the first mover advantage clearly belongs to the Honda Activa such that even some folks refer to automatic scooters simply as "Activa". It was also the first scooter I rode in my life !
Old 30th November 2020, 23:33   #22
BHPian

Great 20 years run !!

I have got 2010 model of Activa which is a lot heavier than the current generations. I bought TVS Jupiter for my daughter in around 2016 which my wife and daughter both prefers due to it's light weight and zippy nature. Now Activa is doing duties in Mumbai with us since 2018. During lockdown, we all were in Pune home. After coming back to Mumbai in June, I was little worried about the state of it I could find after standing still for 4 months but to my surprise, I could manage to start after few more kicks. A strong product from Honda.
Old 1st December 2020, 00:01   #23
BHPian

I currently own the latest generation of the Activa.
Having experienced 50k Kms with a 2013 model I can say that the 6g has solved alot of the "problems"

- front telescopic shocks and rear adjustable suspension is much more pliant on bad roads than any generation of activa

-no more problems with hard/ cold starts, choke or warming up with the fuel injection system. It revs higher for a few seconds after start up to aid in faster oil supply ( like in cars)

- My last activa had damaged crank bearings due to incorrect starting procedure. (Kick starting the scooter without applying centre stand; this abrupts the full swinging motion of the kick start lever and causes damage in the long run)
The 6g however, cannot be kick-started unless the centre stand is applied.

There are many more changes such as these, which make it a brilliant package overall but at 87,000 rupees on road it's also become quite expensive.

Is it worth the premium? Maybe so, considering activas hold their value like Toyotas.
Taha Mir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 01:12   #24
BHPian

Have a Gen 1 and Gen 2 Activa at home. Gen 1 was my Dad's, after his passing the scooter was neglected and for years was abused without any care. Serviced it a couple of years back, repaired the paint damage and a few stickers later is as good as new and still runs like a clock.
Gen 2 is 9 years old and is nowhere near the Gen 1 in terms of quality of body panels. But the thing is built to be abused. In the last 9 years would have serviced it 3 times, but change engine oil regularly. Park it for a month and press the starter even without the choke, it starts and goes and goes. The convenience it provides in the urban jungle is unmatched.
Old 1st December 2020, 08:21   #25
BHPian

I feel the Activa is the modern day Honda Super Cub (since late 50’s till now) which has revolutionised the industry.

It has created a benchmark for sure, although there are other brands which followed the path, for the common its all Activa’s. I once remembered a friend asking should they buy a “Jupiter Activa”.

Glad that they are evolving with times, hope to see the ABS version of it in near future and electric version of it in the longterm.

Have used it briefly for a couple of months, bought a used one, then sold it when I had to move from the city, bought and sold for the same price.
Old 1st December 2020, 11:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Honda got in to scooters when the scooter market was almost finished and every manufacturer was hopping on to Motorbikes. Even Bajaj, which was till then known as a scooter maker. I remember an interview with the company head in Auto India. He was asked why they were entering scooters business when the market was finished and people had switched over to motorbikes. He said there was a latent demand for scooters in India to be tapped, it only needed a product to be packaged right. He was spot on.

I think the Splendor must be nearing the 4 crore mark now. Since it still sells almost the same numbers as Activa every month, even 25 years after it's introduction, I don't think the Activa will close that gap anytime soon.

But calling Honda as the Maruti of two wheeler market is wrong. That label belongs to Hero Motors. They have three or four models that sell well and bring in the numbers, though all of them date back to their JV with Honda. The Activa is kind of one act wonder for Honda, their other products don't sell too well.

I personally felt the Suzuki Access is much better after after riding borrowed Activa and Access. I still prefer the latter if I have to borrow a scooter.
Old 1st December 2020, 12:36   #27
BANNED

Managed to search older "Two-Wheeler Sales Threads" and pull out figures for the sales of Honda Activa as much as I could.

Could retrive data from 2015 till October 2020.

Sales Trend

Honda Activa : 20 years & 2 crore customers up-sales-trends.png

Sales Chart

Honda Activa : 20 years & 2 crore customers up-sales-chart.png
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 18:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

We have 2007 model with us still. Only 12k on the odo. Runs like new. Recently took her to our mechanic for oil change and he is eager to buy it from us. We ain't selling this gem. It's a joy to use except absolutely feeble headlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

The Activa is kind of one act wonder for Honda, their other products don't sell too well.
This is true. I don't even know what else they sell now a days but if I am to get a new scooter I'll buy Activa again.

Last edited by amol4184 : 1st December 2020 at 18:30.
Old 1st December 2020, 19:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

I got my Honda Activa in January 2013, still going strong. My riding is very limited and just have 9K on the ODO as the scooter is used only for very short distance commute. Reliable, no nonsense scooter with low maintenance cost.
Old 3rd December 2020, 12:35   #30
BHPian

I too own a 2011 model Honda Activa. Bought it for my wife after selling off my Hero Honda Hunk. (Perils of getting married. :( )

Right after purchase, I was riding it to the office, around 25km from my home. Mid way through, I was stopped by a man informing me about the dripping fuel. On inspection found out that the fuel line from petrol tank to carburetor had a cut and petrol was oozing out of it. So much for a brand new scooter from a world class manufacturer. Had to drag the scooter for about half a kilometer before I could find a mechanic who could fix a new tube.

Barring that one experience, the ownership has been rather trouble free. It has clocked just over 28K kilometers in almost decade old ownership.

The front plastic covering has gone brittle and it becomes risky to try and open it. Had to get it opened on a couple of occasions. One was for replacing the ignition and lock assembly, do not remember why it was opened the other time.

I also a TVS Wego of 2010 vintage. Given a choice between the two, I would pick the keys for Wego 10 out of 10 times. It just rides better and has a nice stability. I also feel Wego has better acceleration of the two.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks