Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2020, 18:14   #1
BHPian

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.” This is what makes motorcycles so special. Pulsar, India’s favorite 'sporty commuter' enters into it's 20th years of existence.

2001 – When it all started

Back in late 90's, Hero Honda already had a strong presence in the Indian market. To make the things worse for competitor Bajaj auto, they launched an entry-level 150cc bike, the CBZ. It became an instant hit. With Fiero also bringing good number of volumes for Suzuki, Bajaj was compelled to uplift their game. October 2001, Bajaj introduced the first sporty commuter motorcycle in the form of Pulsar which was to become a household name in the Indian two-wheeler market in future. Pulsar with its naked street commuter styling, became a runaway hit. It looked muscular, fast enough and came at an affordable price. Importantly, there was finally a stylish motorcycle for the mass market buyers. Within a short span, it became a motorcycle icon for the youngsters across the nation and started setting the sales charts on fire.

Till today such is the dominance of Pulsar that Bajaj has claimed Pulsar brand currently holds a market share of 42 percent in the sports motorcycle segment. Now, let’s give a tribute to this iconic motorcycle by looking into it's evolution over the years.

- The first-ever Pulsar rolled out with a traditional rounded headlamp.
- 150cc/180cc two-valve, air-cooled, single-cylinder, four-stroke engines made 12/15 hp power respectively.
- The advertisement with “Definitely Male” further enhanced its popularity.

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-1.jpg

- First major upgrade with headlamp fairing and twin pilot lamps.
- Bajaj’s very own DTS-i Digital Twin Spark Ignition technology was introduced.
- All thanks to the said tech, the power output increased.

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-2.jpg

- 17-inch alloy wheels added to Bajaj Pulsar.
- Twin Nitrox shock absorbers at the rear for better comfort.
- Also, Pulsar 180 received an all-black theme and became a new bedroom poster for the youngsters.

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-3.jpg

- One of the biggest updates for Pulsar. This included the introduction of an all-digital speedometer and engine kill switch.
- Backlit switches added for better convenience in dark.
- Self cancelling and more flexible turn indicators to prevent breakage.
- Sharper ‘wolf-eyed’ twin pilot lamps and edgier body styling.
- RPM shift light was added to let the rider know that the engine rpm has reached close to the rev limiter.

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-4.jpg

- 200 DTS-i was launched with an oil-cooled engine and a more muscular styling.
- Also, the birth of the sportiest-looking 220 DTS-Fi with a fuel injection system.
- Pulsar 220 DTS-Fi got clip on handlebars and a rear disc brake too.

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-5.jpg
2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-6.jpg

- Bajaj Pulsar 180 got the treatment of the Pulsar 200.
- In the process, the Pulsar 180 got split seats, wider 120mm rear tyre and clip-on handlebars.
- Kick start option was removed.
- Smallest displacement Pulsar 135 LS was introduced with sportier styling.
- The first bike in India to have four-valve DTS-i technology.
- Launched with black alloy wheels and a front disc brake.

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-7.jpg
2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-8.jpg

- Bajaj Pulsar 200 NS with an all-new sharper design was launched.
- Twin positioning lamps tucked just below the headlamp.
- Liquid-cooled, DTS-i, triple spark engine was used for the first time.
- Gas-charged monoshock was included too.

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-9.jpg

- The race track inspired Bajaj Pulsar RS200 was launched with full fairing.
- Got Daytime Running Lights, new digital-analog instrument cluster and an optional ABS.
- Engine on the RS200 got six-speed transmission and had a power output of 24hp.
- Bajaj Pulsar AS200 and Pulsar AS150 were launched soon after the launch of RS200.
- Featured semi fairing along with long-travel suspension, large windscreen and a taller stance.
- Pulsar AS200 got the same engine as the RS200 with an exception of fuel injection.

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-10.jpg
2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-11.jpg

- Bajaj Pulsar NS160 was launched with design cues taken from the Pulsar NS200.
- Smaller 160cc, oil-cooled engine with DTS-i tech was good for producing 15hp of peak power.
- Compared to NS200, the Pulsar NS160 featured a skinnier rear tyre and had no rear disc brake.

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-12.jpg

- Smallest Pulsar till date – Bajaj Pulsar 125 Neon was launched with styling exactly the same as the Pulsar 150.
- Neon coloured highlights for better visual appeal.
- Launched with an optional front disc brake.
- Most of the parts borrowed from the Pulsar 150.

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-13.jpg

Last edited by Deadpool : 27th November 2020 at 18:15.
Deadpool is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 18:24   #2
BHPian

re: 2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar

I owned a Pulsar for 8 years and it is one heck of a bike!.

A combination of power, style, macho image and fuel economy. When I used to effortlessly overtake others, 'Pulsar power' left them in its smoke.

Definitely Male .
Nalin1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 19:44   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I never owned a Pulsar, but this bike always had it's share in my life. When I bought a Unicorn in 2005, my college mate bought a Pulsar 150 DTSI, when I bought a Karizma R in 2010 my friend bought the Pulasr 220.

So a good portion of my life was spent with the Honda vs Bajaj debate! Am sure many guys of my age will relate to what am saying.

I was a Honda fan and my friend was a Pulsar Fan.
We used to fight among ourselves, but at the end both of us had mutual love for both the brands. We have done so many long rides together and none of the bikes never betrayed us.

Whenever I see a thread on Pulsar or a the old Pulsar ad's I feel nostalgic.

My Unicorn with my friends Pulsar 180 & Pulsar 150 at the parking of Hogenakkal falls, TamilNadu. (Good old days)

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-100_1260.jpg

Last edited by Samba : 27th November 2020 at 19:46.
Samba is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 20:01   #4
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

The Pulsar holds a special place in my heart. Especially the classic Pulsars. The one with the round headlight. When it was launched, it was one of the most handsome looking motorcycles. There was the Hero Honda CBZ on one side with a sleek look and a Pulsar with a classic naked street fighter look. The first pics of the P180 greminded mea lot of the Honda X11 - the naked version of the Honda Blackbird.

The first time I rode a Pulsar 180 was when I went to book my Eliminator in 2002. I loved it ...... it was amazing, had a good pickup and looked like a million bucks.

The second time I rode was when I bought a used P220 to replace my Machismo 350. That motorcyclewas amazing. It was so reliable. if never once let me down. Parts and Servicing were so cheap compared to Honda or Royal Enfield.

over the years, the Pulsar has evolved a lot. The worst Pulsar according to me was the Pulsar RS200 and the best design was the NS200.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 20:13   #5
BHPian

Ah, the memories....!

My dad got the very first model of Pulsar when it was released. I think ours was one of the first few deliveries in Vizag back then. That was the bike I had learnt riding on. Fast forward to 2009, I had got my own Pulsar 220 DTSi. It was the first P220 in my college and a lot of my friends purchased it looking at mine. 4 of us had the same blue colour P220s and used to ride together.

Bajaj had truly worked wonders with the 'Pulsar' brand as opposed to Hero which had completely decimated the 'CBZ' and 'Karizma' brands.
adityak7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 20:34   #6
BHPian

Wow. This has made me very nostalgic. I had brought the original pulsar with round light I think in 2002, sparkling blue and almost clocked 90000+ kms on it. Infact it's chasis had broken after bumping over a pit in the ground and I properly got it newly made from Bajaj factory on order in 2011. I finally scrapped it in 2015 or 2016. It was a gem of a machine. Infact I found the original round light pulsar to be more spirited than the upgraded one with fairing. It must have been tuned for more mileage.
I had managed to keep my bike's color in pristine condition infact the bike as well till the very end.

My insta post after scrapping it
2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-img_20201127_202853.jpg

My bike on the way to scrapping
2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-img_20180923_172809.jpg

Bike parked in my parking

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-img_20160910_175023_hdr.jpg

Shashankjk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 20:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

The Bajaj Pulsar was launched in October 2001, so it has completed 19 years and not 20. I don't know why they are saying 20.

By the way, I still have my 1st generation DTSi Pulsar, which is 17 years old now, with proper paper work.

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-20200107_091430.jpg

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 27th November 2020 at 20:46.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 20:49   #8
BHPian

Between 2003 to 2016, me and my brother owned 5 pulsars. Lot of memories with each one. My favorite though when it comes to looks is the 1st Gen, was a fan then when I laid my eyes on red pulsar for the first time, a fan even now. I still turn around and look if one passes by me. Still regret selling our 1st Gen Silver p150.

When it came to speed & performance, P220 was definitely satisfying the racer in me back then.

Pulsar rides on long stretch of Vizag beach road, those were the days!
Plymouth_Fury is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 10:10   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
When I used to effortlessly overtake others, 'Pulsar power' left them in its smoke.
Couldn't agree more with you on this. overtaking is breeze with Pulsar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Felt nostalgic seeing the black Pulsar in the pic. Did few road trips back in 2007 around Bangalore with a black P150 owned by one of my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
over the years, the Pulsar has evolved a lot. The worst Pulsar according to me was the Pulsar RS200 and the best design was the NS200.
Yes, NS200 is the best looking Pulsar till date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityak7 View Post
My dad got the very first model of Pulsar when it was released. I think ours was one of the first few deliveries in Vizag back then. That was the bike I had learnt riding on. Fast forward to 2009, I had got my own Pulsar 220 DTSi. It was the first P220 in my college and a lot of my friends purchased it looking at mine. 4 of us had the same blue colour P220s and used to ride together.
I can guess you had gala time riding your Pulsar around city as it was one of the first few bikes around. Same must had been later with P220 in collage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashankjk View Post
I had managed to keep my bike's color in pristine condition infact the bike as well till the very end.
Shows your love for your machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
The Bajaj Pulsar was launched in October 2001, so it has completed 19 years and not 20. I don't know why they are saying 20.
By the way, I still have my 1st generation DTSi Pulsar, which is 17 years old now, with proper paper work.
You are right. Pulsar has completed 19 years this October and enters 20th year. I have mentioned the same. Kudos to you for keeping your machine for this long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plymouth_Fury View Post
Between 2003 to 2016, me and my brother owned 5 pulsars.
That's fascinating. what were the variants?
Deadpool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 11:38   #10
BHPian

This article brings back nostalgic memories of my Pulsar 180 ( Red), which I owned for about 7 years and the Pulsar NS 200 (Yellow) which I enjoyed for about six years.

Being passionate about my motorcycles, Pulsar was the way to go. At every stage when a new model was launched it offered new technology and was a pioneer in introducing new features to the Indian motorcycle Industry.

Unfortunately, it is my honest opinion, that of late, Bajaj seems to have lost its way. It is frustrating to see many other brands offering blue tooth connectivity in their motorcycles and even scooters, Swichable ABS and other features, which Bajaj has so far, not intrroduced even in its flagship model the DOMINAR 400. BAJAJ needs to get its act in order, and fast, if it is to not lose its position, as the preminent manufacturer of high end motorcycles in India.

As a die hard Bajaj loyalist, I hope the new launches by Bajaj, will propel Bajaj to its leading position which it richly deserves
Ganapathy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 11:54   #11
BHPian

I learned riding on a Pulsar 150 Neon (ABS) and a normal 150 too. So I too, share the sentiment.

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-20200928_082857.jpg

I can only imagine how the average college student must have fantasized about this hot-cake-bike back in the early 2000's!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 11:56   #12
BHPian

First gen is still the best looker with round headlamps, round dials, round RVMs. Pulsar still holds best VFM given the power to weight ratio.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 28th November 2020 at 12:00.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 12:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Nostalgic thread, taking me back 18 years, to the boom of the internet biker forums (Yahoo Groups and the 2 BHPs initially), biker wars, biker clubs, factory visits, and biker festivals, and group and club all-India ride meets!

The Pulsar(s) that started it all ... in 2002!!!! Many old friends still in touch and on this forum.

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-me-n-rayan-n-nikita-pulsie.jpeg

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-rayan-n-me-before-chakan.jpeg

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-pensive-rayan-n-pulsie.jpeg

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-rayan-n-me-n-pulsars-before-chakan.jpeg

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-pulsie-chakan-test-track.jpeg

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-my-pulsie-tank.jpeg

2 decades of the Bajaj Pulsar-pulsar-gang-papers.jpg

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 12:40   #14
BHPian

Cheers to anyone here who has owned Pulsar before. Mine was a 2008 model 150 with handlebar. Learnt riding on it in late 2015 before selling it in 2017 for a Honda CB Unicorn.
Bismaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 12:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Dear mods.
Please correct the title of the thread to 19 years and not 20. The Bajaj Pulsar was launched in 2001.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks