Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2020, 20:09   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Dealer blames me for motorcycle damage after a test-ride. UPDATE: They are claiming insurance (pg 4)

Very simple, just ignore the calls. You handed over the bike after the TD. The showroom is responsible for checking the bike once you hand over the keys. They cannot do anything after you have left. Also, these bikes have insurance, so it's not on you. They need to prove beyond doubt that you did the damage which they cannot. Don't even bother to answer their calls, you need to tell them only once that you did not do it.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 09:57   #47
Senior - BHPian

re: Dealer blames me for motorcycle damage after a test-ride. UPDATE: They are claiming insurance (pg 4)

I think they are using scare tactics to get you to negotiate - and force you to buy a bike with them. Happened to a person I know who test drove a Maruti Baleno - they called the next day regarding a scratch on the rear bumper in his case.

Burden of proof lies on the dealer. They need to prove that you caused the damage - a simple accusation won't do it. The fact that the guard inspected it and didn't report anything immediately means that you're not responsible for it. A lot of things can happen in 2 hours - perhaps - another test ride, employee (joy)ride, fall etc. If they have a legit case, they will send you a written notice by post. Most TD vehicles should be insured for damage and such small incidents are frequent occurrences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Honestly, in my opinion, this dealer is being bashed more than required.
I'd beg to differ. Repeated phone calls for a baseless accusations can be based classified as "harassment".

I think this case was handled by some over-enthusiastic SA. If the dealer did have a serious case against the OP, they'd send a legal notice to his home via post.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 26th December 2020 at 09:59.
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 10:18   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I'd beg to differ. Repeated phone calls for a baseless accusations can be based classified as "harassment".
I am not intending to argue, but let us look at the facts.

The OP has mentioned that he received 2 calls in his entire posts.

First one on post 1. This is 2 hours after he left the show room.

Second one on post 19. Here it is stated that OP spoke to manager and manager says It will be claimed through insurance and OP would be called if need be.

And, apart from these two calls, i could not see any other calls with dealer.

Can we consider these two calls harrasment? I think any discussion that ends with two sitting can be considered amicable settlement.

Anyways, let us agree to disagree if still there is difference in opinions
gkveda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 10:42   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I am not intending to argue, but let us look at the facts.

The OP has mentioned that he received 2 calls in his entire posts.

Can we consider these two calls harrasment? I think any discussion that ends with two sitting can be considered amicable settlement.

Anyways, let us agree to disagree if still there is difference in opinions
Hi,
It's nice to consider the point from another perspective. As you rightly pointed out to each his own. I had scrapped a car while test driving which was the fault of the other driver and the personnel who was sitting in the car clarified and all I had to do is sign couple of forms for them to claim insurance and I don't remember getting any calls from them after that. It was clearly told to me by the manager that I will not be paying up whatsoever.
IMHO, if a dealer calls me after 2H claiming damage to the vehicle and persists even after clarification it is harassment. I would ensure it is reported. It's unprofessional and callous.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 11:00   #50
BHPian

2 calls or 100 calls is not the issue, its how you behave after calling. You call after 2 hours saying the TD bike got damaged to a potential customer asking to pay up is plain arrogance.

This poor customer service will not haunt them now but after 5 years. They will become like Tata. Come what may your products will always be labelled sub standard and your service poor.

The manager asking to come down to sign some insurance related documents is again stupidity, sign what and where. This is not the US where you exchange insurance numbers for some claim. I think the manager was trying to send the bike back to RE or get damages from RE and not the insurance company.

I have had the great pleasure experiencing RE's arrogance first hand when I owned a Thunderbird long time back and they never change.

And every time I hear stories like this I get so angry not on RE but on Honda and how they missed a golden opportunity to dethrone RE using the CB350 because of that bigwing strategy.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 11:07   #51
BHPian

Hi,

As others have already mentioned, there is no need to worry or panic about this incident. I’m really surprised as to why you got so many calls from the dealership.

I feel that the manager mentioned that he will contact you if required might be to give a statement in writing to the insurance company that the damage occured when a potential customer was on a test ride.

I’m pretty sure that they wont demand any money from you because these incidents are very common in dealerships nowadays. I don’t think you will be troubled by the dealership anymore. Tell them that you will go to the police if they try to demand money or anything else.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th December 2020 at 11:21. Reason: Im > I’m.
Old 26th December 2020, 12:44   #52

Don't think too much about it. Next time when they call you, simply give them your email and ask them to write in whatever they claim.

In response to their email just say that if they have any evidence of you damaging the bike, they should provide that and that you are willing to pay as per the rule and law after due consultation with your advocate. Also ask them to provide the registration and insurance of the test drive vehicle they provided with your undertaking to pay for any damages.

In all probability, they will not reply. Do keep everyone from RE management in cc. Shouldn't be too hard to get some email IDs
Old 26th December 2020, 13:09   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't waste your time.

Just tell them it wasnt you who caused the damage, and if they speak otherwise, reiterate that it wasn't you and ask them to do what they can. Simple!

If you had been to the police station or have any experience with the legal system, you will realise this silly incident isn't even worth 5 minutes of your time, even if you had intentionally dropped it.

It's a test ride vehicle, and it's just a dent.

We see murderers happily roaming around, and here you are, losing your peace over something that doesn't even matter.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 26th December 2020 at 13:16.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 13:28   #54
Senior - BHPian

Chill chief - this isn't politics - the burden of proof is on the accuser not the defendant!

If I were you, I would:
a. Install Truecaller
b. Ignore all calls from unknown numbers for 2-3 weeks
c. Record every call and calmly announce at the beginning that you're recording this for your protection and as evidence in the counter suit you plan to file for mental harassment for something you did not do
d. If they insist on filing a case - like others said - ask for them to share time stamped high resolution CCTV on email that proves that you damaged the bike

If things don't get sorted out just ask on the thread - I'm sure enough connections can be made directly to RE to calm matters down.
Lastly, what I can personally do if things really get to a head, is to connect you with digital marketing wizard friends who will teach you how to setup your own online protest like Mr Saboo did - here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...customers.html (Angry Land Rover India customer advertises on Instagram to other prospective customers!)

That will get you the publicity you need and then forget the dealer - even RE will be suing for peace in no time

Chill sir - brew yourself a nice cup of coffee and enjoy the weekend!

Last edited by phamilyman : 26th December 2020 at 13:31.
phamilyman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 16:22   #55
Senior - BHPian

If the dealer says you damaged the bike and you deny the charges the story ends there.

The next time they call and threaten you that they are going to file a complaint, ask them to proceed. Let them file the complaint. The complaint in itself holds little merit if not accompanied by evidence. Let them prove their case.

If they do not file a complaint but still keep calling you, you file a complaint. Keep a track of all call records. Prepare a summary of chain of events.

Also, it is dumb to ask them to hand you over the footage that shows you dropped the bike. If they have it, they will attach it as evidence with their complaint. You will eventually get a copy of the complaint as it is.

Revert when you have something concrete to report unless you are looking for members to help you out with the RE management on this. Otherwise this thread like many others will go on and on based upon speculation and probable outsomes.

Last edited by bigron : 26th December 2020 at 16:25.
bigron is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 18:09   #56
BHPian

Dealer is trying to extort you. Fullstop. Forget about it.

Next time if they call, just tell them "Go and check if a Meteor from outer space had accidentally hit the tank at 350 km/hr."

Just to cheer you up, when I went to get delivery of my Bajaj Avenger 220 (which was the first vehicle which I purchased from my own money) along with my family, the dealer wasn't even aware that I had delivery scheduled that day. The SA assigned to me was on leave and didn't update his colleagues.
They got the bike frantically from the godown, quickly handed over me the documents and attached the number plate. All this happened at 10.30pm in the night. The showroom had shut its lights off about a hour back. Yes we didn't get the opportunity to take proper pictures as it was dark and we were bid goodbye from outside the showroom itself." All my excitement was lost. I went home and slept.

Woke up next day, forgot about the incident and am enjoying every moment spent till now with the bike.

Just don't let poor dealer experience ruin your chances of getting a beautiful machine.
DrCar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 18:48   #57
BHPian

The dealer has not contacted me again after the manager confirmed that he will go ahead and claim insurance.

They did not harass me, instead it was my worry that I would get harassed by the dealer.

I did write to RE support as well and they reverted with a positive reply stating that they would assign their concerned team to look into this matter.

I am over and past this. The dealer has not harassed me so far and RE also has reverted in favor of up-keeping customer interests.

It was my concern and worry that I may get harassed.

I shall definitely go ahead and purchase a new bike and not let this deter me in anyway.
yikes6633 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 19:12   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
The dealer has not contacted me again after the manager confirmed that he will go ahead and claim insurance........
I shall definitely go ahead and purchase a new bike and not let this deter me in anyway.
The depths to which dealers go to to harass an innocent prospective customer is beyond me. Anyways, wats it going to be? The RE or the Honda. Do keep us updated as we are all curious
Neil Roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 20:00   #59
BHPian

Quote:
What must I do?
Nothing! Just grab some popcorn and watch the show. They cannot just accused anyone without proof. You submitted they keys to them and your job was over. Inspection of the bike before taking the keys back is their job, not yours. Still if they continue their rant, ask them in written that you damaged their bike.
pawank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 21:06   #60
BHPian

Quote:

Two hours later, I received a call from the showroom saying that the bike has been damaged (petrol tank is dented) and I need to come over.

What must I do?
Simple, ask the dealership to take a hike period! There is no legal provision under which they can harass you. You are not
Liable for damages, thats why insurance is mandatory in most countries including ours. From a legal stand point as well, if one is driving or riding and ends up in an accident damaging someone elses vehicle one isnt liable for damages as long as he has insurance, but even educated folks in our country think the one at fault should be liable to pay them. Just relax
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks