Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Aprilia SXR 160 launched at Rs. 1.26 lakh

Piaggio has launched the Aprilia SXR 160 maxi-scooter in India. It is priced at Rs. 1,25,997 (ex-showroom, Pune). Customers can book the scooter online on this website by paying a booking amount of Rs. 5,000.

Aprilia SXR 160 launched at Rs. 1.26 lakh-aprilia-sxr-160_blue.jpg

The SXR 160 comes with wraparound LED headlights, LED tail lights, a 210 sq. cm. digital cluster with digital speed indicator, RPM meter, mileage indicator, average speed and top speed display, digital fuel indicator, ABS indicator and engine malfunction indicator. It has a 7-litre fuel tank.

The scooter comes with a mobile connectivity accessory which connects the user’s mobile to the scooter and helps them in locating it, and raising a security alarm.

Aprilia SXR 160 launched at Rs. 1.26 lakh-aprilia-sxr-160_red.jpg

The scooter is powered by a 160cc, BS6-compliant, 3-valve, fuel-injected, single-cylinder engine. It produces 10.7 BHP @ 7,100 rpm and 11.6 Nm. It has adjustable rear suspension and ventilated front disc brake with ABS.

Aprilia SXR 160 is available in four colour options - Glossy Red, Matt Blue, Glossy White and Matt Black.
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 13:07   #2
BHPian

Re: Aprilia SXR 160 launched at Rs. 1.26 lakh

That's expensive IMO, for this money one can get Hornet 2.0, 184cc FI engine with all modern day features like golden up-side-down forks, all LED lights, digital instrument cluster etc. I know it's not apple to apple comparison, just comparing as price is similar.

SXR would be a niche product.
S.MJet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 14:11   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
That's expensive IMO, for this money one can get Hornet 2.0,SXR would be a niche product.
Yes, but I guess the CVT gearbox itself is a major chunk of the cost of a scooter.

And yes it's not apple to apple but right now the attention that SXR 160 would get would be unparalleled atleast for sometime.

Most (if not all) people who want such a scooter would not even consider the Hornet because if they do then they have a lot of other options including the Hornet.
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 14:27   #4
BHPian

I own a TVS NToRQ and it boasts almost similar power figures. Though it is no slouch, It is not a scorcher either and the difference between an NToRQ and say a pulsar is day and night. The SXR 160 has almost similar figures and I assume the bulk may slow it down. Other than for a premium scooter experience Vs the run of the mill scooters, Atleast on paper it does not seem like an easy seller !
Old 23rd December 2020, 14:37   #5
Team-BHP Support

Guys. There is no point comparing it with motorcycles. Whether one wants the most expensive scooter for himself or an economical motorbike is a very personal choice. Some may specifically want a scooter only for the practicality it offers.

Yes - it is a niche product and it is also definitely expensive and overpriced. Finally, considering this aspect, its also disappointing that it gets a few important things not quite spot on despite being pricey. but the person buying this in all likelihood isn’t cross shopping with motorbikes.
Axe77 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 14:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

This scooter will be a heart and want purchase not a need based one. Anyone looking for a CVT scooter will not really be looking for bike alternatives.

It will be a niche product judging by the number of SR160’s we see on our roads today and it’s price point. If they have managed to improve the ride quality over the SR significantly, sales could also be positively affected.

Only Motorbeam in their review has mentioned “if it’s comfortable ride quality you are looking for, look elsewhere”. Also, judging by the reviews the floorboard area could be cramped for taller riders.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 15:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

I would like to upgrade my 2017 Jupiter 110 for example, which has all-drum brakes, to something like this. With such an upgrade, I get:

i) 160cc vs 110cc, higher power, torque. Can comfortably take my wife around.
ii) Higher fuel tank capacity (7l vs 5l).
iii) Disk (with ABS) + Drum brake combo- a major plus in my opinion and one of the main concerns with Jupiter (although we haven't had a situation as such). Considering where I stay, the downslope at Chandni Chowk towards Kothrud can be a bit intimidating with a pillion.
iv) More digital nice-to-have stuff.
fhdowntheline is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 16:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Only Motorbeam in their review has mentioned “if it’s comfortable ride quality you are looking for, look elsewhere”. Also, judging by the reviews the floorboard area could be cramped for taller riders.
Zigwheels too,

surjaonwheelz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 16:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I would like to upgrade my 2017 Jupiter 110. 160cc vs 110cc, higher power, torque. Can comfortably take my wife around.
Do take a proper test ride before changing from the Jupiter which is widely considered to be having the most comfortable ride quality to the SXR which is now becoming clearer as being just better than the SR, but still very stiff and uncomfortable.

If it’s more power you are looking for with a front disc, check out the Access or Activa 125 too. They deliver better performance than the Jupiter with relative comfort. The Access being much better in the power department.

With the above choice you would need to give up on the front ABS option as that’s only available with the SXR and the Vespa 150 in the segment as of now.

As I mentioned earlier on the other thread, if you are not in a hurry, I would suggest waiting as I feel Suzuki could come with a more powerful variant of the Burgman which could tick all the boxes you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Zigwheels too
Thanks Surja. Zigwheels is being properly, brutally honest rather than playing with words like the others on the ride comfort parameter.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 16:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Do take a proper test ride before changing from the Jupiter which is widely considered to be having the most comfortable ride quality to the SXR which is now becoming clearer as being just better than the SR, but still very stiff and uncomfortable.

If it’s more power you are looking for with a front disc, check out the Access or Activa 125 too. They deliver better performance than the Jupiter with relative comfort. The Access being much better in the power department.

With the above choice you would need to give up on the front ABS option as that’s only available with the SXR and the Vespa 150 in the segment as of now.

As I mentioned earlier on the other thread, if you are not in a hurry, I would suggest waiting as I feel Suzuki could come with a more powerful variant of the Burgman which could tick all the boxes you need.

Cheers
Thanks- I am in no hurry, have been mulling about it for some time, and my wife is mostly the sole user of the Jupiter-she is totally comfortable with it.
My point was, that if 150+cc is available then why not look at the option ?Although it didn't occur to me that Suzuki may come up with a 150cc Burgman (probably using the Intruder engine).
But just to disagree with you on one point, I honestly dont think the Jupiter is comfortable for me as a rider. Perhaps its too small in terms of its size and handlebar geometry and even as a solo rider, its a tad skittish. In fact, we earlier had the 125 Sym Flyte, which I thought had an excellent ride quality.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 17:42   #11
KPR
BANNED

I've ridden SR150 for long and my family has one. There's simply no replacement for SR150. It is duke of all scoots. Now there is SXR160. To all prospective buyers: Please see if you can live with rough suspension setup. It is not butter smooth. It is rough and the scoot is definitely tough. But it suits SR150 character. I've to TD alongwith our SR150 to see if there's a change. I'm sure our own TBHP member HillRam ji will report on these fronts.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 20:55   #12

Not the slightest idea about scooter pricing but isn't this overpriced? Apart from its size, what does it offer differently from other scooters to command such a premium?
Old 24th December 2020, 03:21   #13
BHPian

Though I do not like scooters, but for scooter comparison I would say the Suzuki Burgman looks better and more premium. Aprilia naked scooters are more fun and desirable.

SXR is too costly I feel, stretch little more and you can consider the Aether too. Aether has made lot of improvements to their scooter and there is the added benefit of Tax too!
Old 24th December 2020, 14:07   #14
BHPian

WoW! That is one expensive scooter.

1.26 Lakh EX would be 1.45 L OTR but now a days a disc brake Activa comes close to 1 Lakh.

Man Rupee has lost its value, I bought my pulsar 180 for 75K in 2013.
and they are selling scooters at 1 lakh now that too this ugly.
ShivrajG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 14:24   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivrajG View Post

1.26 Lakh EX would be 1.45 L OTR but now a days a disc brake Activa comes close to 1 Lakh.

Man Rupee has lost its value, I bought my pulsar 180 for 75K in 2013.
and they are selling scooters at 1 lakh now that too this ugly.
It's the demand for scooters. I can understand the minimum product cost to make them in good quality, but they have gone too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I would like to upgrade my 2017 Jupiter 110 for example, which has all-drum brakes, to something like this. With such an upgrade, I get:

i) 160cc vs 110cc, higher power, torque. Can comfortably take my wife around.
ii) Higher fuel tank capacity (7l vs 5l).
iii) Disk (with ABS) + Drum brake combo- a major plus in my opinion and one of the main concerns with Jupiter (although we haven't had a situation as such). Considering where I stay, the downslope at Chandni Chowk towards Kothrud can be a bit intimidating with a pillion.
iv) More digital nice-to-have stuff.
Why not try Ather? For this price all your requirements will get fulfilled, you get a futuristic product with low running cost. You may feel secure with a petrol scooter, but just try test riding Ather 450X. You might get a surprising option in your basket.
saikarthik is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks