Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2021, 10:25   #16
BHPian

Re: The White Angel - Vespa ZX 125 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
your Vespa should be under the 2 yr or 24km warranty I believe. If the problem cannot be fixed, and in this case it appears to be engine related and not any of the wear / tear items then the dealer should acknowledge it as a manufacturing defect and ask Piaggio to call back your original bike and replace you with a similar model.

You should not stress much on this. Ask the dealer to replace the bike. It is Piaggio's headache and let the dealer sort it out with the company.
Thanks for the concern. I am planning to do so at the earliest. Who on earth will trust on a bike which is now being ruthlessly opened up and again assembled. I will again visit the showroom today.
Old 23rd April 2021, 21:39   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunabh2424 View Post
Update for Today : DAMAGED CLUTCH ASSEMBLY !! : It's been four and a half month since I am addicted to the Vespa. Now yesterday while cruising through town at 50-55 kmph all of a sudden a strange sound started coming out of the Engine. I noticed it only while de- accelerating from higher speed. Till I reached home the sound was just unbearable....
Because the noise only happens when you are slowing down, the most likely cause is not in the engine or clutch but, most likely in the transmission or final drive gears. One or more of the gears is moving out of alignment when the rear wheel is driving the engine during deceleration.

This type of problem can happen if one of the steel snap-rings that hold the gears in the proper position becomes loose and moves out of the groove in a shaft.

If this is the cause, the gears involved, the shaft the gears are located on and the snap ring must be replaced.

Mechanics do not like their customers to tell them what to look for but you might mention that an old engineer on the web suggested that the gears that connect the engine to the rear wheel could be the source of the problem.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 23rd April 2021 at 21:40.
ArizonaJim is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 21:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Because the noise only happens when you are slowing down, the most likely cause is not in the engine or clutch but, most likely in the transmission or final drive gears. One or more of the gears is moving out of alignment when the rear wheel is driving the engine during deceleration.

This type of problem can happen if one of the steel snap-rings that hold the gears in the proper position becomes loose and moves out of the groove in a shaft.

If this is the cause, the gears involved, the shaft the gears are located on and the snap ring must be replaced.
Thanks for the information. In anyway, the Scooter is demanding a major work right now. In a telephonic conversation with Service center techie he has told me that the problem might be with the crankshaft. They are planning to rework the crankshaft assembly. But I am now shaken to the core. I have already planned to proceed the other way around.

Last edited by Sheel : 24th April 2021 at 08:23. Reason: As requested.
Old 26th April 2021, 08:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
has told me that the problem might be with the crankshaft. They are planning to rework the crankshaft assembly. But I am now shaken to the core. I have already planned to proceed the other way around.
Hi arunabh, crankshaft for a vespa is pretty much the heart of the engine assembly. The crankshaft takes on a lot of load and shear, and its not supposed to fail that easily. In this case, if the piece is defective, then its possible that the engine block also needs to be checked for integrity. This looks to me like a major manufacturing issue.

Please talk to your dealer and insist on them replacing you with another scooter.
no_fear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 12:46   #20
BHPian

Recieved a call from Piaggio Regional Office. They have assured me of solving the issue within a short span of time. Of course I demanded them to replace the whole engine. But they told me to keep it as a last option if the engine is again giving trouble after rework. The official from the regional office seemed to understand my situation well and made every attempt to convince me. Anyways I visited the service center and with a heavy heart I managed to click some pics of my beloved Vespa.

The White Angel - Vespa ZX 125 Review-img_20210426_100713_compress7.jpg

The White Angel - Vespa ZX 125 Review-img_20210426_101219_compress12.jpg

The White Angel - Vespa ZX 125 Review-img_20210426_124548.jpg
arunabh2424 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 12:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

Sad to know the issues faced in a new Vespa.

My Aug '20 Vespa BS6 faced issues with fuel leak when the odo reading was 150 kms. The SA advised me not to fuel full tank. I maintained half tank and continued to face the issue. I left the vespa in the ASS two times for long duration, still the issue wasn't resolved.

Petrol leak pics
The White Angel - Vespa ZX 125 Review-20201106_080815.jpg

The White Angel - Vespa ZX 125 Review-20201106_080715.jpg

Eventually the issue was identified as faulty fuel pump and the part was changed FOC.

Fuel pump
The White Angel - Vespa ZX 125 Review-20201110_180218.jpg

The White Angel - Vespa ZX 125 Review-20201110_180203.jpg

Two not-so-troublefree two wheelers at home.
The White Angel - Vespa ZX 125 Review-20201111_075624.jpg

Last edited by arun1100 : 26th April 2021 at 12:54.
arun1100 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 12:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Sad to know the issues faced in a new Vespa.
Fuel tank leak is a dangerous thing. Thank god you had identified it earlier. Hopefully the scooter is running fine now.

Last edited by aah78 : 26th April 2021 at 17:45. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please don't quote large posts. Thanks!
arunabh2424 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 18:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

In 2017, owing to heavy traffic I wanted to shift from a car to a 2-wheeler for daily commute. Being a die-hard fan of cars, I wasn't sure if I will like to use a 2-wheeler. So I decided to buy a used gearless one, for ease. When consulted, a few friends suggested the Vespa. I searched for over a month and couldn't find any good one/reasonably priced one. Nothing under 60-70 and dint feel worth it. It so happened that I did not even test ride any. The only 1 which was shortlisted, a friend who owns a Vespa(ad owner was in the same neighborhood) test rode and rejected.

I ended up buying a 2014 Access. It was simply fantastic. Peppy and fast. A couple of months later, a close friend at the office remembered my search for Vespa and offered me one. He was not selling it to me but said I could keep and use it for at least a minimum of 2 yrs. I was to maintain it as if were mine. I could return it back if I don't want it. I was elated. Something I wished to have and fid not find and it comes looking for me. This was the top-end model, stunningly looking red color with disk brake and front visor. Was periodically serviced and maintained well.

I got it home and started using it. The power and pickup were fantastic. I dint like the engine sound much. It felt a bit coarse, don't know why. Just after few days started realizing how delicate it was. It has a terribly designed side stand.. WORST. A little accidental push and it falls down. whenever it falls it ensures it breaks one or two things. The levers for sure breaks, not to mention everything is damn expensive. After a few days, the speedo stopped working. After a few more days, the accelerator cable went bad (at idle it's like 25% throttle open). Just start the scooter, it starts moving. I visited the service center and immediately was told the accelerator cable isn't in stock. I was like how can you not have such a basic part, come next week. The service center said this is a common problem and the supply of these items from the company is very little. Then after showing a bit of unhappiness, he re-checked and said one piece was there for a customer ordered a week ago and the customer was to come the previous day and did not show up. They would use that. I forgot the amounts paid for these, but I remember it being expensive and that too as per them doesn't last long(the technicians said what can we do if it doesn't last long). Even the speedo cable is expensive. To put the cable is a big circus. Everything including the front wheel, shock absorbers etc need to be removed. It was so overwhelming that I started to think why did I even choose to replace it.

I may be used it only 2000kms in 18 months. Items I needed to replace:
1. Levers - 2 times. The scooter keeps falling in street parking. A nudge from other users or a kid who tried to stand in front
2. Speedo cable two times. Doesn't last long. Ex-bhpian Sujith1100 also confirmed the same experience.
3. Mirrors 2 times. I don't know why but the threads keep going bad. Sujith1100 said is quite common too.
4. Accelerator cable replaced
5. The windshield for some reason cracked while it was parked in sun. Don't know the reason was the sun or someone broke accidentally. The scooter dint have a fall for sure that day. I chose not to replace it as it's expensive and good for nothing.

I got fed up of these unusual issues and unjustified exorbitant prices and returned. I have had so much peace thereafter. So happy I hadn't found a good one in my earlier search. Even with something I got for free irritated and pissed, I can't imagine if I had paid and bought one.

On other hand, Access has now run 17k kms under my ownership and hardly spent a thing except for the regular services. Can't remember, or can say replaced 0 such parts till now. Both scooters parked and used under exact same circumstances and street parking.
funkykar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 10:36   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Recieved a call from Piaggio Regional Office. They have assured me of solving the issue within a short span of time.
Glad to hear . The ball usually starts rolling once posted on Team-BHP's homepage . We posted about your issue yesterday on our news section as well as hot threads!

Do "report the post (Report Posts : Contribute in Maintaining Team-BHP's post quality)" once the issue is solved. If its a detailed post, we will add that to hot threads too.

Thanks again for sharing this lovely thread.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 15:04   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Glad to hear . The ball usually starts rolling once posted on Team-BHP's homepage . We posted about your issue yesterday on our news section as well as hot threads!

Do "report the post (Report Posts : Contribute in Maintaining Team-BHP's post quality)" once the issue is solved. If its a detailed post, we will add that to hot threads too.

Thanks again for sharing this lovely thread.
Yes, thanks a ton. Actually they had already mentioned about Team BHP's post two times during the conversation. I knew it was the after effects of the article being published here. Thanks again for your kind cooperation.

Last edited by arunabh2424 : 27th April 2021 at 15:05. Reason: Removed extra full stops
arunabh2424 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 21:52   #26
BHPian

Well my dear friends, finally I got the Vespa in tip top condition yesterday evening. The faulty part was the ACG unit inside the engine. The AC generator coil had some defect in it as a result of which the abnormal noise was coming while de-accelerating. The whole assembly was replaced FOC in warranty. Also I was assured by the ZM of Piaggio that the same problem will not happen again in the future. The service team at Raj Motors was extremely polite and helpful during this whole mess which was carried on for a whole week. Of course during the second phase of Covid 19 Odisha is going through a tough time too. We are facing weekend shutdowns here at Bhubaneswar. Hence the vehicle delivery got delayed as a result. But still I am now feeling more confident than before. I expected a slight more delay in the delivery of the scooter but the guys at the service center proved me wrong. Now the Engine is smooth as butter due to the expert fitment by the showroom guys. I am now experiencing fast pick up and the scooter is running at 75 kmph without any fuss. Mileage is still a concern for me as the engine has gone a complete rework in a short span of time. I will provide the figure in a couple of days.

I sincerely thank Mr. Jagdish Sahu ( Service Manager) , Mr. Durga ( Service Executive) of Raj Motors and Mr. Kailash Sahu ( Area SM) of Piaggio for their support and cooperation in this unexpected issue. The whole service team of Raj Motors was found to be fully dedicated in solving my problem. I overheard them talking about the delay in delivering other vehicles due to my issue. But they never made me loose my temper. Till now I am happy about the performance of the Vespa. Will definitely post long term review in this thread regularly. I am also thankful to Team BHP for their valuable input and support without which I wouldn't have been able to cope up with the unwanted situation like this. Below are the pictures of Faulty ACG motor assembly. Hope it will help others. Will keep you all updated in this thread.

The White Angel - Vespa ZX 125 Review-img_20210428_171938_compress93.jpg

The White Angel - Vespa ZX 125 Review-img_20210428_171946_compress81.jpg

Last edited by arunabh2424 : 29th April 2021 at 21:56. Reason: Minimised gaps in paragraphs and pictures.
arunabh2424 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 21:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoDowntowner View Post
The same I was about to buy a couple of months ago but I had to cancel it because of 2 concerns which you already have mentioned: Big hump on floor & small underseat storage.
That big hump you mentioned is never an ordeal on my scooter, also the storage is perfect fit for the helmet provided by Piaggio which is a perfect fit for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
That's one beautiful scooter, didn't you consider any electric scooter? They have a decent range and speed nowadays, moreover the cost of running is very cheap. If i was in your place I would have considered bajaj chetak too.
Electric Scooters are a welcome move anytime but one has to check on the feasibility of charging point at home and work place. More over, scooters are city friendly use so no big point looking into the electric scooter at all unless they have super smart features which are unavailable on regular petrol ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebat View Post
We had taken it out to run a few errands when tragedy stuck. The vehicle failed to start when we wanted to return home and I had to push it for a good 8 kms and got it towed another 8 kms from a good samaritan.

Got it checked by Vespa the following day , they too scratched their head and after a couple of days of "observation" they narrowed it down to a faulty fuel pump. They got it changed without fuss under warranty and now the scooter runs like a dream.

Stay firm with them, they should be fixing any issue you have with your vehicle.
I ran out of petrol once and I have to push it a good 5kms which is a scary thing considering my fitness levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
My Aug '20 Vespa BS6 faced issues with fuel leak when the odo reading was 150 kms. The SA advised me not to fuel full tank. I maintained half tank and continued to face the issue. I left the vespa in the ASS two times for long duration, still the issue wasn't resolved.
Eventually the issue was identified as faulty fuel pump and the part was changed FOC.
Once I ran out of fuel till the last drop, pushed it to nearest pump, filled it to the brim and observed the leak then and there itself, also observed the leak after 2 days when I parked in on side stand. Post that I haven't observed any leaks. Mine is a BS4 vehicle and no issues absolutely.
ManneAtWheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 12:11   #28
BHPian

Guys who own Vespa scooters, how is the ownership going for you ? How much reliable the scooter is say compared to Jupiter, Access and Activas ? How much is servicing cost, spare parts costs ?
My cousin needs a new scooter and she likes Vespa, so I'm asking these questions. The scooter will be used in Pune city and looked after by my uncle only (servicing and stuff) and he's not very car (or motorcycle) person. Thanks in advance for help.
Old 27th May 2021, 12:26   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Guys who own Vespa scooters, how is the ownership going for you ? How much reliable the scooter is say compared to Jupiter, Access and Activas ? How much is servicing cost, spare parts costs ?
My cousin needs a new scooter and she likes Vespa, so I'm asking these questions. The scooter will be used in Pune city and looked after by my uncle only (servicing and stuff) and he's not very car (or motorcycle) person. Thanks in advance for help.
Here's my experience with Vespa. 5 years back, a cousin brother came back from UK and was looking to buy a scooter. On my insistence, he took the delivery of the White Vespa. Although it was pricey, it had the drool factor going for it, but what happened later is nothing short of a horror story with him.

In his 4-5 years of ownership, there were numerous problems and countless visits to the service center. Listing a few problems here
  • The clutch had so much vibrations that the ride used to be very jerky.
  • The scooter was very noisy
  • Poor Pickup and performance
  • Pathetic disc brakes that jammed and locked up so easily; he even had a minor accident due to the front wheel lock up on a slightly slippery surface
  • The switch gear plastic is nothing to write home about. The key fob disintegrated so badly that the scooter used to switch off mid-way due to the loose connection that had developed in the IGN switch
  • Very pricey routine service and maintenance
  • Pathetic Fuel Efficiency. The scooter returned ~30kmpl and not more

Overall quality is a major concern with this scooter for its price. Although it feels like one, it's definitely not the iPhones of the scooter world.

He sold off his 20k run Vespa and bought an Access in 2021 and has zero complaints so far.
hellraizer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks