Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2017, 12:58   #1
BHPian

Bajaj announces partnership with Triumph Motors!

Bajaj Auto-KTM has announced partnership with Triumph motorcycles. While the complete details are yet to be out, it seems the partnership wouldn't include any equity stake. Mr. Rajiv Bajaj made this announcement today, though he had already mentioned about the deal earlier, without mentioning the brand. At that time markets were speculating that the brand could be Ducati.

And in what could be of importance, in the interview today, he said that the product develepment actually started a few months ago itself. Production will be done from the Chakan Plant.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/59967757.cms

Link for earlier news and a quote from the article

Quote:
“KTM rides in a space which is sporty riding. There is also another world out there which is the world of easy riding, the world of Harley-Davidson, Triumph and Royal Enfield.

"This segment so far was the only missing piece in our puzzle,” said Bajaj.

“We are very close to finalising an alliance, it will take a week or two to announce. If it happens it will open up enormous possibilities because that is a brand, that is the format of products that is even more suitable. So if KTM and Husqvarna can do half a million motorcycles a year believe me they can do a million motorcycles together,” added Bajaj.
http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...i-2331387.html

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 8th August 2017 at 13:02. Reason: Additional info
vamsi.kona is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 13:29   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Bajaj announces partnership with Triumph Motors!

Shocked!

Shocked in a very pleasant way! That came out of the blue. When Bajaj hinted at a new partnership, I thought it's Ducati.

Bajaj, KTM and Triumph - Now that's some partnership! Can't wait to see how this will affect the brands in India.

No wonder Bajaj kicked Kawasaki out!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 13:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Jesus christ! Will Chakan manufacture only the small capacity Triumphs or all of them across the board? Considering this is not an equity partnership, Triumph India will exist separately with its own dealerships etc. I think this is a similar model partnership which TVS and BMW have embarked upon.

Last edited by GTO : 9th August 2017 at 11:25. Reason: Please use CAPS wherever necessary. Thanks!
Red Liner is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 14:07   #4
BHPian

That's a very pleasant surprise. Definitely a good news for Indian Biking scenario & win win situation for both riders as well as companies. Waiting for next announcements on the what bikes are rolling out of Chakan plant after this partnership.
mun1shk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 14:09   #5
BHPian

It is exactly like BMW-TVS partnership.

Quote:
“KTM rides in a space which is sporty riding. There is also another world out there which is the world of easy riding, the world of Harley-Davidson, Triumph and Royal Enfield.

"This segment so far was the only missing piece in our puzzle,” said Bajaj.
I had thought Husqvarna would be the brand used for this segment.
In any case I am much relieved at this news - the Ducati deal could have been a gigantic white elephant for Bajaj.
timuseravan is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 14:11   #6
BHPian

Vow! What an aggressive approach by Mr. Rahul Bajaj.
Appreciate his courage and hence increasing the expectation from Bajaj group in terms of better quality from existing Bajaj models due to technology transfer and also expecting a good gamut of Triumph variants at different price points!

All the very Best to Bajaj + KTM + Triumph for their way forward in INDIA
Maverick79 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 14:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

; terms like 'mid-capacity motorcycles' 'higher volume market segments' 'product development' add to puzzle.
Wonder if partnership is limited only to India OR KTM outlets across Europe will also sell Triumph motorcycles now. And does 'product development' mean new engines/bikes or only production of existing bikes?
On consumer side, does this mean Triumph bikes would be available at less cost?

Last edited by sukiwa : 8th August 2017 at 14:14.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 14:12   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Jesus christ! Will chakan manufacture only the small capacity triumphs or all of them across the board?
Looks like Triumph wants a new mid capacity range, and wants it built at Chakan. The second paragraph is pretty straight forward about their intentions.

Bajaj announces partnership with Triumph Motors!-img20170808wa0021.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 14:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
Vow! What an aggressive approach by Mr. Rahul Bajaj.

Appreciate his courage and hence increasing the expectation from Bajaj group in terms of better quality from existing Bajaj models due to technology transfer and also expecting a good gamut of Triumph variants at different price points!

All the very Best to Bajaj + KTM + Triumph for their way forward in INDIA
Rahul Bajaj is the Patriarch of the Group. It is his Son Mr. Rajiv Bajaj who is the MD of Bajaj Auto.

payeng is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 14:16   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
It is exactly like BMW-TVS partnership.

I had thought Husqvarna would be the brand used for this segment.
In any case I am much relieved at this news - the Ducati deal could have been a gigantic white elephant for Bajaj.
Haha. Husky is anything but easy riding. They are traditionally offroad motorcycles and have recently been given a urban cafe racer identity by KTM.

I think bajaj and ktm are really well specced out for the next few years. Bajaj, not so much with their sales in india, but more from a product development and manufacturing base for potential ktm and triumph models.

KTM ofcourse are on a brand and product trajectory that is 100% envy. Their dual sport cycles are the rage everywhere, the 790 super naked is the most awaited cycle in this years eicma, and ofcourse their totally successful repositioning of brand husky (atleast on the media circuits, sales yet to be known). Lastly, the 390 twins have totally reshaped the brands sales charts everywhere, forget india.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 14:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Rahul Bajaj is the Patriarch of the Group. It is his Son Mr. Rajiv Bajaj who is the MD of Bajaj Auto.
My Bad. I stand corrected. Thanks for that mate.

So, its Father's vision to grow and Son's passion clubbed with aggressive execution to write the next chapter of Bajaj's growth.

I also do remember a slight difference in opinion between them on discontinuing 'Hamara Bajaj' geared scooter earlier. That was covered in a different topic all together though.

No matter what, really proud to see the market growing towards a very wide offering at almost all price points!
Maverick79 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 14:29   #12
BHPian

Rahul Bajaj at AGM talked about missing an easy riding bike (read RE and Harley competition) within the portfolio and was likely to announce something about it. I hope Bajaj doesn't just stick to one segment.

If anybody has any light to shed on this, please?

Last edited by GTO : 9th August 2017 at 11:26. Reason: typo
Cartik5477 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 14:36   #13
Senior - BHPian

What does it really mean ? New lesser capacity bikes will be called Triump but Bajaj will sell them in India and Triumph will sell the same across the world ?
Old 8th August 2017, 14:42   #14
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

This is really a present surprise. Very much unexpected. Wondering if this partnership will focus only on Bajaj and Triumph only - or will KTM/Triumph will also be sharing / planning to share platform / technology.

One of the obvious outcome of this partnership (along with the easy riding bikes) will be a 300cc motorcycle to complete against the BMW G310 and the TVS Akula. Another advantage I can see for Triumph is local assembly (which will attract cheaper duties) as compared to CBU's / CKD's.

Congratulations Bajaj and Triumph! Wish you a successful partnership for years to come!
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 14:50   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartik5477 View Post
Rahul Bajaj at AGM talked about missing an easy riding bike (read RE and Harley competition) within the portfolio and was likely to announce something about it. I hope Bajaj doesn't just stick to one segment.

If anybody has any light to shed on this, please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
What does it really mean ? New lesser capacity bikes will be called Triump but Bajaj will sell them in India and Triumph will sell the same across the world ?
Triumph wants a new middleweight. Bajaj has given a hint that they are targeting the easy riding segment against RE.

Makes me believe that the new middleweight might be retro styled and a part of the Bonneville range. This way, KTM wouldnt have had a conflict of interest either!

The Triumph version could take on the likes of the Ducati Scrambler 62 abroad wheras a Bajaj version can probably try to entice RE bikers with a premium over the RE, but undercutting the Harley range.

Last edited by GTO : 9th August 2017 at 11:27. Reason: Quoted post edited
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks