Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2021, 13:10   #16
BHPian

Re: Honda CB300R Review - A life changing experience!

Congratulations on the Honda, it is an excellent bike.
I was one of the last buyers (red colour) before the BS6 regulations kicked in and it was a heck of a ride so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabhimanyu04 View Post
Great buy! It was fun reading your post

I always wondered ( since the launch of this bike):

1. How much more value this ~50CC bigger bike is over the 1L cheaper CBR250 with a bigger tank range\capacity and a proven bulletproof reliability.

2. If this bike would have made more sense with a twin cylinder setup ( I am being greedy here)

3. How comfy is the pillion seat on long rides, it appears SMALL in the pictures.

4. If it looks small on taller riders ( 6ft plus)
Let me answer the above queries

1. It is definitely value for money for the kit it gets. Also, considering that CBR250 is almost a decade old now with no major improvements over the initial launch, I would any day recommend the CB300R or the CB350 series over CBR250

2. Agreed, a twin-cylinder would be a dream come true on this bike, but I am guessing it would cannibalize the CBR650 probably. Then again, as GTO says, if you don't cannibalize your sales, someone else will do it for you

3. The pillion is not extremely comfortable. It is best suited for city rides or smaller trips. Anything more than a couple of hours and the pillion wouldn't be comfortable

4. The entire bike looks small and compact, I guess the compact dimensions coupled with the extremely low weight is what makes the bike flickable. However, when you sit on it, it fills in nicely. I am 6ft tall and do not face any issue with the bike per se.
adityak7 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 05:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabhimanyu04 View Post
Great buy! It was fun reading your post

I always wondered ( since the launch of this bike):

2. If this bike would have made more sense with a twin cylinder setup ( I am being greedy here)
This is a café racer that calls for a leisurely use that the single cylinder is more suited to. Then there is question of complexity and price. Twin-cylinder motorcycles are more complex to work on and of course, cost more to produce. For a café racer/naked bike Honda had to hit a price point for the product to be successful. In any case, twin-cylinder motorcycles would fall into the Supersport category which are comparatively more expensive as compared to their single-cylinder cousins.

One major advantage of single-cylinder motorcycles is that they produce torque lower in their powerband whereas their twin-cylinder counterparts are peaky in nature and produce their peak torque way up in their power band thus rendering them almost useless unless you’re tracking your bike or doing continuous high-speed runs. For riders interested in that sort of riding there is the option of Supersport category motorcycles in 500CC and above engine displacement.

Barring some exceptions (Honda CBR 250RR is one) now a days you would find very few a twin-cylinder motorcycle below 350CC engine capacity though back in the day there were some manufacturers like Suzuki and Honda that made a large number of small displacement two-stroke twin-cylinder motorcycles.
Vikram Arya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 16:12   #18
BHPian

Nice and detailed review.
Would like to add on some points with respect to CBR250 for this CB300
1. Pillion Comfort - It is not that great when compared to CBR250, the grab rails are really tough to hold on being in the pillion seat.
2. high speed stability - May be the test ride bike had some issues but cruising in 3 digit speeds doesn't gives that much confidence compared to CBR250.

Will wait for the long term review for sure.
Happy riding.
SVK Rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 17:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVK Rider View Post
2. high speed stability - May be the test ride bike had some issues but cruising in 3 digit speeds doesn't gives that much confidence compared to CBR250.
The windblast at such speeds coupled with the low weight of the bike gives rise to this. If the rider is healthy (like me), then the stability seems decent in my experience
adityak7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 21:16   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVK Rider View Post
Would like to add on some points with respect to CBR250 for this CB300
Happy riding.
Agree on both the points. Thank you, CBR250R is a sports tourer and it’s fairing helps create a cocoon for the rider to protect from wind, CB300R is a naked street fighter motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityak7 View Post
The windblast at such speeds coupled with the low weight of the bike gives rise to this.
True, wind blast is a major issue at high speeds and the low weight makes it even worse. Tucking down helps a bit aswell.
Matrix888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 13:44   #21

I am not a pro travel blogger yet, but writing this review has made me discover that I have a really good album of pictures. Sharing some of them as I think you'd like them too.
Honda CB300R Review - A life changing experience!-img_7221.jpg

These are captured on a farm I wandered while riding on the Kalyan-Murbad Highway. (Thane, Mumbai)
Honda CB300R Review - A life changing experience!-img_7275-1-1.jpg

Last edited by Matrix888 : 18th February 2021 at 13:56.
Matrix888 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 22:31   #22
BHPian

Good review Matrix888. Congrats on your buy and happy riding.

I bought the red one last year Feb and did just 2500 kms (thanks to lock down period). Planning some trips in coming months.

Help from owners: Is there a owners group for CB300R in India through any social media? As number of bikes sold here are very less (i think <800), I hope there is a dedicated owners group to discuss about experiences, trips, services and parts related queries. I know few owners in Tamil Nadu now.
vijayk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 09:44   #23

9k update
We’ve made a lot of adventures together & I can’t put words to describe the thrilling experience, let me give it a try.
Honda CB300R Review - A life changing experience!-img_8456.jpg

Hardware:
Maintenance
Clutch cable has needed few adjustments. (DIY or any local garage can do it.)
Honda CB300R Review - A life changing experience!-img_3289.jpg
The chain needs regular lubrication, I use EP 90 oil frequently as recommended in the manual & clean it once a month. (A paddock-stand might be required, I use a G-roller.)

Honda CB300R Review - A life changing experience!-img_4094.jpg
Feedback
The alloys, suspension & brakes are in ideal condition no untimely rattles or failures. Next service is scheduled at 12k, will make it there without any breakdowns I am confident.
Honda CB300R Review - A life changing experience!-img_0781.jpg

The tire tread is intact & provides good grip upon braking. Honda CB300R Review - A life changing experience!-573ffcdde2184d16822f57ae36207f84.jpg

Electrical's, winkers & cluster work flawlessly.
Last few months have smitten me harder it seems, as if the odo digits have started flying. So far so good.
Honda CB300R Review - A life changing experience!-img_5014.jpg

Here’s a track test review of the CB, it’s the one on top of my list & was a deciding factor that inspired me to go ahead with this purchase & eventually write up this review.
https://www.autox.com/track-test/hon...k-test-106867/
Honda CB300R Review - A life changing experience!-img_5594.jpg

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 27th March 2021 at 11:13.
Matrix888 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 23:46   #24

Pardon my negligence for not updating the travelogue.
A beautiful tree I randomly stumbled across. (Opposite of Rainbow sunrise school, Murbad)
Honda CB300R Review - A life changing experience!-img_8135.jpg

Cloudy Mesmerisation.
Honda CB300R Review - A life changing experience!-img_8157.jpg

Useful message.
Honda CB300R Review - A life changing experience!-img_1301.jpg

A scenic view of the mountains with morning sunshine. (Mhasa-Siddhagad route, Thane.)
Honda CB300R Review - A life changing experience!-img_0874.jpg
Hope to make up for the repeat offence, by sharing the above moments.
Matrix888 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 17:39   #25
BHPian

Hi,

I was looking to buy CBR250 when I came across this CB300R for sale. 2019 model,less than 1k run. Confusion now on what to buy. Rode the bike for a short distance and there was no negatives that I could observe. Looking for teambhp to help clear my confusion.

Few queries (all in comparison with CBR250)
1. Since this is CKD, how is spares availability and cost?
2. How suitable/comfortable is this for highway rides( max 500km, speeds between 80-100 only)
3. Most importantly, how is the resale value? I plan to keep it for 5 years minimum. But after 5 years, Forget the resale price, would there be any buyers at all for this bike?

Oh, and how is refinement? Is this the Honda Unicorn ofn250-400 cc segment?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by akhil_007 : 28th November 2021 at 18:02.
akhil_007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 10:57   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
I was looking to buy CBR250 when I came across this CB300R for sale. 2019 model,less than 1k run. Confusion now on what to buy. Rode the bike for a short distance and there was no negatives that I could observe. Looking for teambhp to help clear my confusion.
If the odometer is a genuine sub 1,000 kms, then dont think twice. Go for the CB300R and enjoy the motorcycle for the next 5 years and more. Being a reliable and completely peace of mind Honda, it should retain its resale value well.
neil.jericho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 11:57   #27
BHPian

Honda CBR250R vs Honda CB300R

I see a lot of queries on how these two compare so as I have both a CBR 250R and a CB300R thought I will put in my 2 cents. There is not enough material for a new thread so piggy backing on this ongoing thread :

On highways and touring
The CBR250R is more stable on highways at higher speeds (> 100 kmph ) due to its 20 additional kilos

The CBR250R is also better if there is rubble and the like on the roads, again due to is heavier weight. The CB300R is a little jittery on such surfaces.

The CBR250R's fuel tank is metal and so you can use a tank bag like a Rynox as-is since the magnets just latch on to the tank. I tried multiple experiments on the plastic tank of the CB300R (sticking a magnet etc.). None worked.

My Rynox Nomad saddlebags fit on both the CBR250R and the CB300R. The CBR250R is better suited for saddlebags than its younger sibling. The metal grab handles make it easy to tie stuff and also act like a natural barrier preventing the bags from touching say the tires. The CB300R's exhaust also sweeps up so unless the saddlebags are tied properly there is the chance of the bottom of the right side bag touching the exhaust. That said, with minor adjustments, both are able to use the same saddlebags.

Honda CB300R Review - A life changing experience!-signal20211210120820_002.jpeg

The more upright riding posture of the CB300R suits long rides. I used to get a backache on the CBR 250R due to its sportier riding posture

The additional pep of the CB300R is particularly useful in overtaking when there is a small window or a convoy of trucks ahead . One twist of the throttle and you are through.

The lightness of the CB300R and the additional power is both useful and also more enjoyable in twisties. I went to Munnar recently and the CB300R was an absolute joy on that road. The CB300R is designed as a city bike and is meant to be flickable which probably suits its use in hilly twisty roads.

On city roads
The CB300R wins this by a mile. It is extremely flickable and allows you to easily thread through traffic.

Build and technology
The CBR250R is of course a much older bike that has been around for a decade, to the extent it is now called a classic. People use words like legendary when describing the bike. Honda, on the principle of 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it' made almost no changes to the bike since it originally appeared in 2011. So it is all metal, half analog and half digital (the Odo, trip meter and clock is digital) but solid as a tank. It weighs in at 165 kgs. The CB300R is a 2019 creation and designed to be a City Racer so it is light, flickable and a lot of plastic. The instrument panel is all digital. The CB300R weighs in at a puny 147 kgs, thus nearly 20 kgs lighter than the CBR250R while also having an advantage in terms of power and torque. It looks and feels well built. Having more plastic may mean more maintenance costs but as yet I have not had to replace anything.

On looks and distinctiveness
The CBR250R wins this. It looks sporty and as if it means business. No risk of being confused for a commuter. The CB300R on the other hand, while it looks great, is smaller and less distinctive in my opinion. It can be confused for say a Yamaha FZ-S and the more powerful of the commuters. This suits me fine especially on rides when I think it is best to not attract attention.

Maintenance and reliability
The CBR250R has been true to its reputation. It is reliable and will keep going on and on. I have not had any issues with the CB300R which I have now had for 2 years (though 2020 and most of 2021 was a goner due to Covid). I went on a 1000 km ride recently and the bike breezed through it. Will know more on this over time. I do have to take both to different service centres since the CB300R is serviced at the Big wings centers while the CBR 250R is serviced at regular Honda centers. Have not had any issue with spare parts availability so far, for either bike.

Pillion comfort
The CBR250R by a mile. The seat is wider, longer, the seat marginally plushier, the grab handles are grab handles and not just for style. The CB300R is not meant for pillions, period.

Summary
It is the same engine in both bikes but tuned differently and with different riding configurations. Both are great bikes and each can more or less do all the things the other can. Both are Hondas with all that the brand means in terms of making reliable, refined, fun but not manic fun bikes. But there are differences and these are summed up below.

I think the CBR250R is the more all-purpose bike though it has the more committed stance. Great on highways, pretty good in city traffic, can carry pillion and generally be the 1 bike for most things. The CB300R is more suited for single riders, great in traffic, twisties, good on highways, ok on other kinds of roads. For me personally, I prefer the CB300R. I like its light weightedness, nimbleness in traffic, its zippy nature. It is just more fun. And at my time of life, that is exactly what I need.

Last edited by bevivek : 2nd January 2022 at 12:00. Reason: Minor edits
bevivek is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 22:08   #28
BHPian

I would love to see some updates on this thread, especially with the BS4 model.
Old 12th November 2022, 20:26   #29
BHPian

I just returned from an 800 km ride in Uttarakhand on my CB300R. The bike was brilliant on these roads where there seems to be a hairpin or blind curve every 200 meters. The bike navigated the bad stretches surprisingly well. Overall an A for the bike on the trip.

But there is a negative and that is the fact that we transport the bike to a starting location and again ship it back to base from some end location (which were Dehradun and Moradabad in this journey). This means using a transport logistics company like GATI, VRL Logistics, Safe Express. These guys are neanderthals in the way they deal with the bike and a plasticky bike like the Honda CB300R does not fare well under the treatment. The irony is the bike does great on the actual ride and gets damaged in the transport to and from the ride start and end locations. This time the damage to the bike was cracked windscreen (nothing can be done), twisted metal rear tire hugger, and bent sidestand. The latter two were metal and still got damaged.

Point of this post: bike does not travel well when given to transporters
bevivek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2022, 22:21   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevivek View Post

My Rynox Nomad saddlebags fit on both the CBR250R and the CB300R. The CBR250R is better suited for saddlebags than its younger sibling. The metal grab handles make it easy to tie stuff and also act like a natural barrier preventing the bags from touching say the tires. The CB300R's exhaust also sweeps up so unless the saddlebags are tied properly there is the chance of the bottom of the right side bag touching the exhaust. That said, with minor adjustments, both are able to use the same saddlebags.

Attachment 2252973
Are you using saddle stays ?
If yes, please post some photos, model, etc. If not, is it safe to use the saddle bags without saddle stays ?

I hope you are using this one:
https://rynoxgears.com/products/ryno...ddlebags-black

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks