Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2021, 22:08   #31
BHPian

Re: Jawa 42 vs Honda Hness CB350

well honda is better than jawa but for me jawa was perfect for my ht which is 5feet 6 inches so i booked jawa
Attached Thumbnails
Jawa 42 vs Honda Hness CB350-img20210301wa0015.jpg  

Jawa 42 vs Honda Hness CB350-20210301_180221.jpg  

Jawa 42 vs Honda Hness CB350-20210301_114219.jpg  

ashwinvardhan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 12:02   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinvardhan View Post
well honda is better than jawa but for me jawa was perfect for my ht which is 5feet 6 inches so i booked jawa
@ashwinvardha, can you kindly share your experiences with the bike? I am evaluating Jawa 42 2.1 and Honda highness. Honda ticks on all parameters, except saddle height. I find it more comfortable on Jawa 42 2.1. However, don't want to compromise on bike quality and service quality. Your experiences would in this regard will greatly help.
Old 8th February 2023, 11:56   #33

Requesting feedback on Jawa 42, 2.1 model

Hi All,

With the bike bug buzzing in the head, the itch to put bum on something powerful growing and age catching up, it's time to satisfy the desire. Yes, desire, it's not a need.

Notes
  • My biking (& driving) days started way back in the late 90s on the then silent Bangalore road. A very long friendship with the workhorse Honda SS 100 ended with RX135. Loved every bit of 135 but had to sell it after several years due to unforeseen reasons. Currently Suzuki access is doing the groceries & vegetables duties as well as office commute.
  • My road trips were mostly in Car, first in Matiz and then in ANHC. It was only in late 90s when I did a few trips on my SS 100.
  • My office commute is about 12 kms one way, some on congested, bad roads.
  • I am bored of riding scooter though it offers tons of conveniences.
Parameters
  • The basics: I prefer retro looks, I want a bike "that will not age, that will not look odd with me aging, that I can keep for long"
  • Support office commute in heavy City traffic: Less gear shifts and/or slipper clutch, good turning radius, no engine stall, no heating issue.
  • Occasional long rides: Reliability, less vibrations, good riding posture.
  • Has latest technological advances: Disk brakes with dual abs, tubeless, etc. Don't care much about bluetooth connectivity.
  • I am 5.6", on the thinner side so saddle height and weight is a big consideration. I would prefer seat height of up to 790mm.
  • DON'T WANT THE BIKE TO GIVE UP ON ME: I am happy to do a bit of maintenance myself, visit occasional visits to garages in addition to the regular servicing but I would really really and really hate if the bike fails to start, either the first thing in the morning or during the day. I have spent good amount of my mornings kicking Vijay Super and don't want to have that frustration again.
  • Budget: Around 2.5L. I know riding gear is going to cost me extra.
Eliminated
  • I did consider but rejected RE Classic 350 as I wasn't sure if I can handle it well in the City. Most of the other RE fleet was rejected for the same reason.
  • I did consider but rejected Yezdi Roadster because of the recent legal tussle about the brand ownership.
  • I didn't evaluate any of Yamaha/Suzuki/Hero/... fleet as not many retro offerings and/or the bikes felt too bulky and with all kind of modern(?) facades on the tank.
  • I didn't evaluate Triumph as it's out of my budget.
  • I didn't evaluate KTM as it's something that is not of my taste.
  • I did consider but rejected Bajaj Avenger as I did not like the riding posture of cruiser bikes.
  • I did consider TVS RTRs and found 180 to be comfortable but it's not Retro and I wasn't sure if it will meet any of my basic parameters -- "that will not age, that will not look odd with me aging, that I can keep for long."
Shortlisted
  • It boils down to Honda Highness 350, RE Hunter, Jawa 42 2.1
  • Highness 350: I am more or less sold on this one except for the seat height. It's 800mm and though I can touch ground comfortably, a bit more footing will give that much more confidence. I will hate if I have to do modifications to the stock seat.
    • I liked the ride, liked the seating posture, liked the handling and power, liked the dealership experience.
    • I didn't like the turning radius or may be I will get used to it.
  • RE Hunter: I am almost sold on this one too except I am not sure whether it meets two of my basic parameters -- "that will not age, that I can keep for long"
    • I liked the ride, liked the seating posture, liked the handling and power, liked the dealership experience.
    • The bike has more torque, it's very very easy to manoeuvre it, the seat height is perfect for me.
    • There is no slipper clutch, the gear shift felt a bit hard but may be it was a test ride vehicle.
  • Jawa 42 2.1: Why am I considering this even after reading so many negative experiences? I don't know but it feels like a bike that I can keep, feels like a bike that I can handle comfortably, feels like a bike to own. So it's perhaps more of what heart wants than what head tells.
    • I am yet to take a test ride.
What am looking for?

Inputs from fellow Jawa 42 2.1 owners or other experts.. I have gone thru below two threads but they are about 42 and not the 2.1 model:Please comment on following:
  • Is there starting issues with the bike?
  • Is the paint peeling off?
  • How's the servicing experience (in Bangalore)?
  • Is the riding posture comfortable for those occasional long rides?
Thanks so much for your inputs.
ajcpub is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 16:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

Re: Requesting feedback on Jawa 42, 2.1 model

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcpub View Post
With the bike bug buzzing in the head, the itch to put bum on something powerful growing and age catching up, it's time to satisfy the desire. Yes, desire, it's not a need.
Since you are looking to keep the bike for a long time, I would suggest the Honda CB350 to the Jawa. Honda offers a better product and ease of use in the long run judging by the reviews and experiences of our forum members and otherwise too.

Cheers
Old 8th February 2023, 23:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
[*]The basics: I prefer retro looks, I want a bike "that will not age, that will not look odd with me aging, that I can keep for long"[*]Support office commute in heavy City traffic: Less gear shifts and/or slipper clutch, good turning radius, no engine stall, no heating issue.[*]Occasional long rides: Reliability, less vibrations, good riding posture.[*]Has latest technological advances: Disk brakes with dual abs, tubeless, etc. Don't care much about bluetooth connectivity.
Test ride TVS Ronin 225. Almost completely metal made, with good riding posture and low end torque. It satisfies most of your specifications. You may like it.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 06:57   #36
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi
Between the choices that you have, go for the Highness 350.It is a blessing in the city. Traffic, potholes, no problem at all.It is a very refined product as well. Cheers.
rajeevsulu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 11:02   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Test ride TVS Ronin 225. Almost completely metal made, with good riding posture and low end torque. It satisfies most of your specifications. You may like it.
Thanks, I somehow missed looking at this.

Took the test ride, engine felt refined, power is good, gear shift is smooth. Two concern areas: (a) Turning radius is a bit longer, might cause problems in the City. (b) It felt heavy and bulky to handle even though weight is less than Hunter and Highness. I am confused.

I don't see many Ronins on the road, the sales person didn't know overall numbers.
Old 9th February 2023, 13:32   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I somehow missed looking at this.
I don't see many Ronins on the road, the sales person didn't know overall numbers.
As per TVS, Q3 FY '23 Post Results Conference Call January 24, 2023, CEO K. N. Radhakrishnan replies,
"Ronin is doing extremely well. It has already come to now close to 3,000 per month. And it will slowly and steadily grow because this is a brand which is getting built. So, I think it is a good thing. And in Q4 also, it will do much, much better. So that is a broad indication on Ronin"
Jawa 42 vs Honda Hness CB350-ronin.jpg
Source: https://www.tvsmotor.com/-/media/124...38B35AE96.ashx
ajay0612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 19:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

Since both of us are 90s kids, I was able to read faster than my eyes can see & comprehend quicker than the data reaching the brain only to be affirmed by both organs later

So I'll try to restrict only with your choices for now
Quote:
The basics: I prefer retro looks, I want a bike "that will not age, that will not look odd with me aging, that I can keep for long"
Age is just a number sir!!

Quote:
Support office commute in heavy City traffic: Less gear shifts and/or slipper clutch, good turning radius, no engine stall, no heating issue
Honda Highness 350 & RE Hunter

Quote:
Occasional long rides: Reliability, less vibrations, good riding posture
Honda Highness 350, RE Hunter & Jawa 42 2.1

Quote:
Has latest technological advances: Disk brakes with dual abs, tubeless, etc. Don't care much about bluetooth connectivity
Honda Highness 350, RE Hunter, Jawa 42 2.1

Quote:
I am 5.6", on the thinner side so saddle height and weight is a big consideration. I would prefer seat height of up to 790mm
No comments!!

Quote:
DON'T WANT THE BIKE TO GIVE UP ON ME: I am happy to do a bit of maintenance myself, visit occasional visits to garages in addition to the regular servicing but I would really really and really hate if the bike fails to start, either the first thing in the morning or during the day. I have spent good amount of my mornings kicking Vijay Super and don't want to have that frustration again
Honda Highness 350

Quote:
Budget: Around 2.5L. I know riding gear is going to cost me extra.
Ok

Quote:
I did consider but rejected RE Classic 350 as I wasn't sure if I can handle it well in the City. Most of the other RE fleet was rejected for the same reason
Test ride please

May I present a few other thoughts pls?
  • Change is the only constant, so aging & changing are bound to happen & one has to live with it or left behind
  • I'm sure you know buying is one time affair but maintenance is for lifetime, after all, we're all married & know this point much better. How may ASCs does RE vs BigWing vs Jawa have in the city? What numbers are being sold? Availability of spares, all these things matter more than aging & looks
  • What matters most us is: DON'T WANT THE BIKE TO GIVE UP ON ME; from that point nothing beats a VFM Japanese motorcycle

Last edited by Aditya : 4th April 2023 at 22:33. Reason: Quote tag fixed
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 19:20   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Jawa 42 2.1: Why am I considering this even after reading so many negative experiences? I don't know but it feels like a bike that I can keep, feels like a bike that I can handle comfortably, feels like a bike to own. So it's perhaps more of what heart wants than what head tells.
I own a Jawa 42 v2.1. I am from Pune and my height is 5'6".
- It's a bike I am VERY happy with.
- It looks more retro than the REs and the CBs.
- Makes more power than both of them
- Have had no breakdowns and feels solidly built
- It is a great all-rounder

However,
- Engine gets hot but heat is manageable
- If you keep the clutch pressed for a long time and don;t engage the engine, the engine has a tendency to shut down. I put this down to my bad riding practices. The service center has not found a fix and I have learnt to live with it by changing my riding habits.
- Ground clearance is low, so off roading and R15 type corner carving is ruled out (It is a decent handler and can go on unpaved / "kacchha" roads without worry, provided you are aware of the bike's limitations)
- Not meant for you if you are taller than 5'10". It will look too small.

I had no intentions of buying the Jawa. I test rode it on a whim. But when I rode it, it spoke to me. and I dropped the idea of all the other modern retros

Quote:
  • Is there starting issues with the bike?
  • Is the paint peeling off?
  • How's the servicing experience (in Bangalore)?
  • Is the riding posture comfortable for those occasional long rides?
Thanks so much for your inputs.
- Is there starting issues with the bike? - NO
- Is the paint peeling off? - NO
- How's the servicing experience (in Bangalore)? - Cannot help you with this. But I have not had any issues with Shakti Motors, Pune
- Is the riding posture comfortable for those occasional long rides? Matter of getting used to it. It's a slightly forward leaning position like the Hunter.

All in all - I love the bike and am largely happy with the purchase.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions. Happy hunting!!!
Indraneel Bhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 20:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quite a well articulated post

Quote:
I am bored of riding scooter though it offers tons of conveniences.
The reason is quite apt

Quote:
- retro looks
- commute in heavy City traffic: Less gear shifts and/or slipper clutch, good turning radius, no engine stall, no heating issue.
- Occasional long rides: Reliability, less vibrations, good riding posture.
- Has latest technological advances: Disk brakes with dual abs, tubeless
- I am 5.6", on the thinner side so saddle height and weight is a big consideration. I would prefer seat height of up to 790mm.
- DON'T WANT THE BIKE TO GIVE UP ON ME
- Budget: Around 2.5L
The Ronin fits all these perfectly but I won't suggest that mainly because of the looks and owing to that it isn't going to last that long in the market and should be replaced by a better retro if TVS continue on that path.
That leaves the CB350s H'Ness and RS along with the Hunter 350 and Jawa 42 from your list. Since I have no experience with the Jawa or its quality and ASC experience so I am inclined to suggest the Hondas as the Hunter falls under neo-retro.
But why not a neo-retro ?
And if you're going with BigWing then why not try the CB300R ?
Should be a good neo-retro considering your requirements albeit a bit expensive and compact and usual BigWing network coverage and spares issues which should be under control in Bangalore at least.
IMO this fulfils your reason the best.

Last edited by shancz : 4th April 2023 at 20:52. Reason: typos, formatting
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 22:16   #42

I own a Jawa 42 with 10k on the odo. Have mostly used it for city driving and some short trips to Pondy and Gokarna from Bangalore. My bike was from the first batch of 2019 and over the period of 10000 kms, I have replaced the following items on my Jawa already:
1. Clutch Cable
2. Timing Chain
3. Tensioner
4. Headlight Electrical relay

While the engine is gem, and extremely good, my biggest pet peeve with Jawa has been lack of spares even after 4-5 years. While you can hit any shop for getting simple things like clutch cable changed for any other bike, the same is not true for Jawa. The bike overheats a bit in peak traffic but nothing that cannot be managed. My experience with Skanda service centre (Rajajinagar) has been great so far, but they don't have spares, especially engine related parts. Bangalore Jawa at Mekhri circle has parts at most times but I have never given my bike for servicing there. It seems even service centers are struggling to procure parts. Other issue I have faced is a local mechanic will not touch your bike, simply because they don't have spares or the mechanical knowledge to fix the bike.

While my bike paint has not peeled (yet)( also touchwood), i have heard stories of from Jawa group of Bangalore about tank paint peeling, especially of the initial batch bikes.

I have not faced issues with engine shutting off in traffic in my experience and the bike is still a looker. The silencer misses on the RE thump, but still has a pretty good throaty note with option to customize the DB killer from the service center itself. It's also easier to manage in traffic and has a pretty linear throttle.

So in a nutshell,
Do I love my Jawa? Absolutely,
Do I regret it? Sometimes, especially due to part issues.
Would I recommend Jawa to someone else? Probably not, again due to the above issue.

If you do end up buying the Jawa, then welcome to the Jawa tribe!
Also, I would HIGHLY recommend you buy the extended warranty. It's pretty extensive and will keep the parts headache away for a long time. I couldn't buy it since I was in my hometown with my bike standing in Bangalore and have regrets ever since, especially when I have to pay for the spares from my own pocket.

This is a good bike. I just hope Classic Legends make it even better.
LtStealthy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 22:31   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
The Ronin fits all these perfectly but I won't suggest that mainly because of the looks and owing to that it isn't going to last that long in the market and should be replaced by a better retro if TVS continue on that path.
I agree with that statement, styling aside, Ronin is a good product but needs better polish and variants positioning. There are many reports of vibrations post 80 kmph, mid spec needs dual channel ABS, which only top variant gets, and better overall color options.
Black_Star is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 08:03   #44
BHPian

I've been on a hunt to find a good cruiser for myself for almost about 3 months now. My requirement is to have a bike that can serve for short to medium distance rides (<400 kms max) and daily use in city too. The main reason I'm looking for a bike is to ride between Bangalore - Chennai thats it . I'm not an avid biker or neither I'm planning to become one. These days traffic in this route is heavy and the last 80kms to Chennai is horrible due to road construction and takes about 2.5 hrs to commute in car. Irritates me a lot.

I considered these with a budget of 3L. Keeping the technical aspects aside for each of these bikes, IMO just as a rider if I have to summarize in short,

1. RE scram 411 - Great rider. I rejected it because the foot pegs we bit too behind for me. Thats the only reason. Himalayan was very comfy, but too heavy to be a daily city rider.

2. Suzuki Vstorm 250 - Peppy engine, but ride is very stiff. Felt every small stone on the road. Imagine driving this in bangalore roads!!

3. RE Meteor 350 - Good cruiser, Nice riding position. Bike vibrates too much for my liking when speed is > 80kmph.

4. BMW G 310 GS - Loved the way this machine rides. The only factor for me not to choose this is the cost. This is close to 4L on road. Way over my budget and not very sure about A.S.S. Had to drop this with heavy heart.

5. Dominar 400/250 - Loved the way bike looks, rides but somehow I did not connect to the bike.

6. Honda Highness - This is my choice. All rounder for sure (at least to me). Bike is stable at 100kmph vibrations are very negligible. I did a little extended drive on this (250 km) and came back home smiling. My shoulders and back liked the ride too

I just did not test ride these bikes. I took each of these bike on rent and rode them for 2 days. One day to office and other day on a 150 Km highway ride. Out of all these, I felt highness had better posture, ride quality. I'm not saying highness is the best out of this list, but it is sort of an all rounder and gets the job done for me.
dvr08 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2023, 08:51   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmacnaut View Post
Claiming that you felt every stone on the road is a bit too much of exaggeration.
No offense. Please do not take it in a negative way. I just wrote what I thought about the bike because I felt it very stiff for my liking. That's all. Each of us like some and do not like some.

Happy riding @tarmacnaut

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks