Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2021, 12:40   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Power of the Team-BHP fraternity | Case of a pre-owned Scooty

In my family, this forum is generally referenced with a snigger (or a sorry nod of the head) by my family (and the better half) on how much time I spend on it every single day. But then there are those key moments when the forum and its community plays a pivotal role in redeeming itself in the eyes of the members of my family. This is such a case.

Context - my wife had been looking/hinting at availing a (2nd hand) scooter for herself for quite some time but never made any major strides in figuring out the next step. Kinda got the feeling that it was now my problem to solve

It was around this time bhpian Sounak put up a thread/post on letting go of a 12 year old Scooty Pep+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounak04 View Post
Our family owns a 2010 TVS Scooty Pep Plus and a 2012 Bajaj Pulsar 220F.

The TVS Scooty was given to my Mom from her prior School. The registration is still under the name of the School's Principal though the Tax Receipt is under my Dad's name (I do not know how that happened). The School has closed down in 2013 and no one from the school asked my mom to give back the scooty. Since then, the scooty has hardly been used and no one from my family bothered to the change the registration. The Scooty is registered under MH 06 with no valid Insurance and only a Tax Receipt which is incidentally under the name of my Dad, though the registration is not. There is no RC Card as well.

I want to basically get rid of these two vehicles. I do not intend to earn any money from the sell/transfer. Thus, i want to know what i can do with the above vehicles. I'm okay with giving these two vehicles away to a scrap dealer or anything. Also, if anyone from the group wants the Vehicles for their parts or anything, please be my guest. One more thing, since the Scooty (as per the Vahaan website) is not in our name, can i just give it away to anyone? The bike is still under my brother's name though with no insurance. He does not stay here, though he has written a letter allowing me to sell the bike with a signed copy of his aadhar card. I reside in Kharghar and any help in this matter at the earliest, would be deeply appreciated.
There were a few replies more focused on the curious issue of the registration and how to resolve it but I noticed no-one had taken up the offer to pick up the Scooty yet.

I reached out to Sounak and offered to do whatever it takes to give him the assurance on the transfer aspects; and a nominal payment for the Scooty to which he vehemently refused. On the contrary, he offered to get the Scooty delivered to my place courtesy of friends of his who had the delivery service.

Given the constraints around the registration of the bike and the fact that this was a 12+ year old vehicle, we mutually decided to sign the 'transfer' on a stamp paper and considered it as a transfer.

Power of the Team-BHP fraternity | Case of a pre-owned Scooty-scooty3.jpeg
The original condition of the bike - a lil dusty but otherwise in pretty decent condition

Power of the Team-BHP fraternity | Case of a pre-owned Scooty-scooty2.jpeg
The odometer was stuck at ~13k for a while apparently; found a service bill from 2016 that had the same # of kms mentioned

Power of the Team-BHP fraternity | Case of a pre-owned Scooty-scooty1.jpeg
For a 12 year old vehicle that hadn't seen any usage for last few years, it had very less rust

I handed over the scooty to my local mechanic and he got working - apart from the pending service, there were quite a few parts that had to be replaced
- battery
- spark plugs
- liner cables
- front odometer cable/unit
- fuel tank plug + full cleaning
and a few more minor items (wiring, punctures, etc.). One of the tires was at the end of its life but he estimated I could still use it for a few more months and get both replaced together.

Two days later - there she was was, all spic and span! Couldn't believe such a old vehicle could be in such good condition. In comparison my parent's ~9 year old Dio and 10+ year old Activa are in much much worse shape.

Power of the Team-BHP fraternity | Case of a pre-owned Scooty-scooty4.jpeg
Up and ready to ride!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 26th February 2021 at 12:38.
ninjatalli is offline   (75) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 12:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting find of the day!

Saunak didn't really have any documents of the vehicle so I went digging to figure out whatever I could. I scraped off the chassis number from the bike but apart from that and the registration number (MH-06-AV-8035), I really didn't have much to go with.

There were a few old bills and receipts lying in the luggage space under the seat, including a temporary bill of token payment at the time of purchase. Funnily, the name on the bill was from Saunak's family side that I could recognize. Having some free time, the wife and I went digging online. By mistake, we entered the vehicle number on VAHAN as (MH-06-AU-8035) and voila - the same name as that on the bill turned up on the website! Reconfirmed this with Saunak (he identified it as his father's name).

Power of the Team-BHP fraternity | Case of a pre-owned Scooty-scooty5.jpeg
The details of the bike as per the vehicle number plate

Power of the Team-BHP fraternity | Case of a pre-owned Scooty-scooty6.jpeg
and apparently the correct registration number of the Scooty!

So either someone at the TVS dealership or someone at the RTO screwed up and handed over the wrong number plate which was continued for 12+ years But luckily for us, this meant we could do the transfer legally without much of a trouble. For now, we both decided to not take the effort, but possibly in the near future, I'd put the effort to get this done by the book. For now, I paid some additional fees on Parivahan and downloaded a virtual RC copy to have the full details of the vehicle. The details on Parivahan had all the right details of the first owner along with the correct engine & chassis number.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 26th February 2021 at 12:39.
ninjatalli is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 12:33   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Power of the Team-BHP fraternity | Case of a pre-owned Scooty

It's been nearly a month of ownership and the Scooty has been a boon in the city for both of us, for multiple reasons.

1. At a time when petrol is touching the 3-digit figure, having a vehicle that gives a fantastic mileage (~50kmpl) for city travel is awe-some. My Interceptor barely does half of it

2. It's a great option for quick mini-rides tasks locally (e.g. groceries) for which a car or even the Interceptor always felt overkill, zipping through the dreadful traffic of Mumbai and crowded lanes

3. The wife loves it. As Zach in the TBBT wisely says "Happy wife, happy life"

--------------------------------

This thread is a big vote of thanks to Saunak and the growing number of bhpians who are now increasingly taking the step to share/give their own belongings to other bhpians.

And lately, there have been a multitude of such posts - a gorgeous Bajaj Super, a 135cc Pulsar, a 150cc Pulsar and even a Fiat Palio in the recent past. It's this friendly camaraderie that made me take up the step to give away my hybrid cycle when I found out no one at my hometown was using it. And the wife has already decided the Scooty is going to be kept well and after a few years, hand it over to the next person who'll be able to use it better than us.

And I hope this 'habit' of giving away only keeps on growing - there's only a positive output of it!

</The_END>

Last edited by ninjatalli : 26th February 2021 at 12:42.
ninjatalli is offline   (76) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 18:51   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Power of the Team-BHP fraternity | Case of a pre-owned Scooty

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the 2-wheeled section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 09:49   #5
BHPian

Re: Interesting find of the day!

W.O.W.
What an awesome gesture. Kudos @Saunak for having a heart of Gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
So either someone at the TVS dealership or someone at the RTO screwed up and handed over the wrong number plate which was continued for 12+ years
I wouldn't be surprised if it is the RTO.
I have had a typo in my passport.
My daughter had a wrong father's name in her passport.
My wife had her voter ID all wrong. (correct first name, my name, her maiden name)
So much for Govt efficiency.
RedTerrano is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 10:01   #6
Team-BHP Support

Sweet little story there.

It’s quite heartening to hear of TVS quality since we just bought our own first scooter, a TVS, just a month or so ago.

I am also loving the whole flexibility a scooter offers for local area runs within a 3 - 5 km range. The convenience is just unbeatable. It was also only now that I realised that just how many of my Superbiker friends actually also own a small scooter and swear by their smaller rides for the sheer convenience they offer.

Enjoy using the beater scooter in the family.

Cheers.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 10:35   #7
BHPian

Wow Saunak you're amazing. OP, this machine is absolutely fun as I ride one far away from my home place. Change the tires to round profile ones and see the difference in ride quality. Absolute pocket rocket at least until it reaches its limit at 60km/h on full throttle and pillion. Might stretch to about 70+km/h with just the rider. It's nimble, light, and an absolute joy to ride around the city. Enjoy the ownership and happy kms ahead.
Pratzgh1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 11:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow what a coincidence.Congrats on your new ride and blessings to the magnanimous BHPian who gifted you the bike. I too recently made a vlog of my 11 year old scooty. Actually it was my wife's scooty but it was used by everybody else at home.

It was in running but bad condition and everyone told me to sell it. The market price was around 6-7k for it that time but I refused to sell it as I strangely got attached to it as I used it extensively while doing a construction project.

In fact I went ahead and splurged around 15k in reviving it to it's old glory (mechanically) and ever since, I service it at only the authorized service center.

The scooty is still working great and just needs a battery replacement now. Guess it will last another 10-15 years in my hand .

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 27th February 2021 at 11:31.
stanjohn123 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 20:24   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post

In fact I went ahead and splurged around 15k in reviving it to it's old glory (mechanically) and ever since, I service it at only the authorized service center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzgh1 View Post
Change the tires to round profile ones and see the difference in ride quality.
Thank guys for the kind words and happy to see fellow Scooty owners. Can you share what tires you have opted for your respective vehicles? I'll be looking out soon, preferably tubeless - would be happy to hear feedback on options availed.

Also, I believe the new models come with alloys - just wondering aloud for now if it makes sense putting the money to upgrade to alloys.
Old 27th February 2021, 20:58   #10
BHPian

I'm glad that I gave the scooty to someone who really needed it and also took such good care of the Scooty. Even though the Scooty was not used much, it was there for many of my firsts such me learning to ride for the first time on the scooty, my first trip alone, my first accident, my first ride with my better half, my first challan, so on and so forth.

Giving the Scooty to Mr. Niranjan was the right decision as he not only takes care of it but also used it regularly. Happy miles Sir
Sounak04 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 21:09   #11
BHPian

Congratulations on the Scooty!
That's why I love teambhp!
(Even though I hated teambhp too when they didn't accept my application twice!)
Please wrap it in carbon fibre and black vinyl and color the wheels black or gold.
RavSam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 13:31   #12
BHPian

Congratulations on the Scooty! I got a 9k kms run 2013 one in December for my sister to learn on, and was pretty dismissive of its capabilities until I actually started using it myself. It's pretty peppy for local runs (speedo indicated top speed of 65 kmph), is the most frugal vehicle I've ever owned (34 kmpl) and it's load carrying capabilities are pretty decent. I was once able to fit a 5 kg bag of atta under the seat and a 25 kg bag of rice between my legs in front, and since then it's become our default choice for market runs.

The Scooty impressed me so much that when I moved to Bangalore this month and had to sell one of my 2 two-wheelers, I ended up selling my 2015 Honda Shine since I figured the Scooty would be a more practical choice as the only two wheeler back home.
Wishing you many happy miles!

Power of the Team-BHP fraternity | Case of a pre-owned Scooty-img20210209133344.jpg

Power of the Team-BHP fraternity | Case of a pre-owned Scooty-img20210209133412.jpg

Last edited by boniver : 28th February 2021 at 13:32.
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 21:35   #13
BHPian

Wow! Posts like this definitely make my day. Just goes to show that our forum is more than just a 'forum', it's truly a community!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 11:43   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Thank guys for the kind words and happy to see fellow Scooty owners. Can you share what tires you have opted for your respective vehicles? I'll be looking out soon, preferably tubeless - would be happy to hear feedback on options availed.

Also, I believe the new models come with alloys - just wondering aloud for now if it makes sense putting the money to upgrade to alloys.
I've opted for CEAT round profile tires. Not sure what they are exactly named but there was only one model for this puny size wheel. They cost me 1k each without the tube. Just this change drastically improved the riding dynamics of the Pep+. Also, I doubt you would find a tubeless tire that retrofits the existing wheels.

Go for new headlights (usually cost about INR30), new switches (each switch should cost less than INR50), new internal wires (a set of all cables is under INR100), a decently padded seat (INR 250+) for hassle-free commutes, and you are mostly sorted for years to come.
Pratzgh1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 17:07   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Short Update: As we moved city (and state), the requirement to shift the Scooty with us underwent a lot of "Yes" and "No". I had put up a post initially on the giveaway thread with a caveat that this would be given to another bhpian not on a first-come-first basis but rather on a subjective requirement/need basis. After lots of internal discussions (@home), the decision was finally made on the last day to handover to another person.

Power of the Team-BHP fraternity | Case of a pre-owned Scooty-img20210626wa0010.jpg
Loaded and ready to go!

@blackwasp had earlier reached out saying this scooter would be useful for one of his colleagues and on a less rainy day, the Scooty made it's way to the next owner. All available documents were shared with him and hopefully it serves to be of a lot of use to the end user. Don't think that person is a bhpian so this thread will soon go into the archives of the forum, albeit on a happy note!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 15th July 2021 at 17:13.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed