Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2021, 14:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj Pulsar 250, launched at 1.38 lakh

The first images of what is believed to be the next generation Bajaj Pulsar have surfaced online.

Bajaj Pulsar F250 & N250 launched in India-20210226010028_2021_bajaj_pulsar.jpg

The camouflaged test mule looks similar to the NS200. The bike has fairings on either side of the fuel tank. It also has a chin fairing and a narrow tail section. Other notable details include a stepped seat with split grab handles and a side-mounted exhaust.
Bajaj Pulsar F250 & N250 launched in India-20210226010028_2021_bajaj_pulsar_2.jpg

Reports suggest that the next-generation Pulsar will be offered with a brand new engine. It is said to be a 4-valve, fuel-injected motor. The new engine platform will be scalable up to 250cc. Note that the bike seen in these images has an air and oil-cooled engine.

The test bike is equipped with conventional telescopic fork suspension at the front and has a monoshock at the rear. It is equipped with disc brakes at both ends.

Source: BikeWale
TusharK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 14:46   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Bajaj Pulsar 250, launched at 1.38 lakh

This one looks promising though the stance and looks are similar to the current Apache 4V series.

In the past, Bajaj made an honest attempt with the NS (RS and AS too) series. However due to the complex oil cooled engine, those didn't prove to be very reliable. People went back to the tried and tested old Pulsars. Bajaj went a step ahead, launching a basket of engine options on the same old Pulsar.

Can't blame them as these old gen Pulsars still sell in very good numbers! Reminds of Tata Indica/Indigo and Tata's tryst with Vista/Manza. Instead, they should do a Toyota here - withdraw the old Pulsars while launching the new one.

Please don't wait till the time when old models have dragged the Pulsar brand to the ground.

Last edited by ashis89 : 26th February 2021 at 14:48.
ashis89 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 20:33   #3
BHPian

How is this relic still in market? From 1st generation a.k.a "anda breaker" till 2011 model, I have never seen any pulsar clear a hump, speed breaker, pothole comfortably in 2nd gear. The bike ages poorly and albeit it is ancedotal but none of the people I know held on to their pulsar for a decade and I know people who have held their suzuki max100 and splendors.

In fact it is very rare to see old bajaj motorcycles. Caliber was launched against splendor but it ceased to exist after 5-6 years. KB 100, 4S and avenger all met same fate and one can see rajdoots on road in better numbers than those. Seeing bajaj auto lineup is disheartning.
Sran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 21:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
From 1st generation a.k.a "anda breaker" till 2011 model, I have never seen any pulsar clear a hump, speed breaker, pothole comfortably in 2nd gear.
Not sure what the part after a.k.a means but it doesn't appear you have ridden a Pulsar from that time frame. Or may be rode one that was in absolute shambles. But regardless, is that a benchmark for a good street fighter/naked motorcycle?
Old 26th February 2021, 22:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
How is this relic still in market? From 1st generation a.k.a "anda breaker" till 2011 model, I have never seen any pulsar clear a hump, speed breaker, pothole comfortably in 2nd gear. The bike ages poorly and albeit it is ancedotal but none of the people I know held on to their pulsar for a decade....
Sorry to burst your bubble. I've owned a pulsar 150 since 2006 and it's 15years later still runs fine without any niggles or jerks. The speedo cable broke about 5 years ago with 68k kms on odo, I didn't bother to replace it. Used it for 6 years to do college to hostel up/down and weekend runs to home 150kms away Mumbai - Mahad. Then on to Pune and for next three years did weekly runs Pune - Mahad. Since 2017 has been delegated to only close runs as dominar has taken over most city duties and highway runs are in a four wheeler now.

The bike aged wonderfully with three tyre changes, three battery changes and stock clutch. Hasn't been in any use for past one year due to lockdown and then me not using two wheelers due to back ache.

It does clear the "2nd gear speed breaker" test easily. Also, I don't know what the term anda breaker means. Could someone help out?

P. S. It does look like I do carry a torch for it, but then, why wouldn't I?
First bike, first rides of all types (mud & rains, sunny & sweaty, in love and in despair, and lots of others)

P. P. S. Mods, sorry for going offtopic, just wanted to mention and reiterate the legacy and I'll still be waiting with keen interest for the new gen.
Torq is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 22:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
Also, I don't know what the term anda breaker means. Could someone help out?
The first gen pulsar had a hump on the fuel tank at the place where the seat meets it. On sudden braking, when the rider is likely to be pushed forwards, there have been reports wherein the rider's test**les were sort of crushed or hit hard, prompting Bajaj to make changes to the design in the next iteration.
Venkat_Figo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 23:02   #7
Kln
BHPian

Brand Pulsar is desperately in need of a fresh injection of life! The KTMs, RTRs, and even REs have eaten the Pulsar's cake for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The only people who're still misty eyed about the brand are 30-40 somethings who were in college when the bike was at its peak popularity. Ask any college going youngster if he yearns for a pulsar, chances are he's eyeing a KTM or RE.

Bajaj has had some incredibly cool adverts such as Pulsar Mania that had everyone talking about it. It also has had some wonderful products such as the '08 Pulsar 200, the Pulsar 220 Fi, and the NS series. Since the past 5 odd years, they've just been re-releasing the same old design by slapping a fresh decal on it without meaningful upgrades. One can almost see the lack of brand cohesion now. Granted, the 220F still has the most timeless and modern design of all time, but how long will Bajaj milk the same cow. What Bajaj needs is to pull a Tata Safari-esque move and release an incredible product at a competitive price, with some smart marketing.
Kln is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 19:13   #8
BHPian

By seeing the air cooling fins in the spy shot it seems like it would be an air cooled Pulsar, most probably 160\180 cc version of Pulsar NS.
And regarding the current relevance of Pulsars, this brand was always about a VFM product, which it continues to be. And is still providing class leading performance at a competitive price, may be the only issue is with the refinement, though that has also been sorted out to an extent. And once they tried something very radical (Rs200], the sales chart was not set fire. Probably that is why even though they are still changing & upgrading the Pulsars, but not in a very aggressive manner.
H0RSEPOWER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 09:25   #9
BHPian

The Pulsar 250 should be an interesting proposition. The power of that KTM mill, combined with the daily usability of the Pulsar line. As a current owner of a Pulsar 220, it's easily one of the most comfortable and reliable bikes I've ridden for city use, that too coming from a RE Thunderbird before this. That should ideally replicate and improve upon the existing formula. Don't really like the Dominar due to its weight, this should be an excellent alternative, and long overdue.
Old 2nd March 2021, 12:27   #10
BHPian

Agreed, another happy Pulsar owner. Although, wish they bring in something revolutionary like the 650 twins, the market is still alive and kicking. Bajaj is dropping the ball with the younger customers.

Quote:
The bike aged wonderfully with three tyre changes, three battery changes and stock clutch. Hasn't been in any use for past one year due to lockdown and then me not using two wheelers due to back ache.

It does clear the "2nd gear speed breaker" test easily. Also, I don't know what the term anda breaker means. Could someone help out?

P. S. It does look like I do carry a torch for it, but then, why wouldn't I?
First bike, first rides of all types (mud & rains, sunny & sweaty, in love and in despair, and lots of others)

P. P. S. Mods, sorry for going offtopic, just wanted to mention and reiterate the legacy and I'll still be waiting with keen interest for the new gen.
Old 2nd March 2021, 19:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

An air-cooled engine with Pulsar NS's frame would be a great offering. The engine has proven itself for its usability and reliability and then you have the chassis which is way better than the competition (Unicorn, FZ, Gixxer), this might be a true Pulsar upgrade (The NS had a different proposition in my opinion)
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble.
Totally agree. I have owned two pulsars and both aged alright. The only reason I changed Pulsar to Gixxer is better CoG and fatter rubber. No engine work was ever needed.

Compared to Gixxer, pulsars didn't have any niggles and fewer part changes.

p.s. - No doubt Gixxer is a superior commuter bike due to better balance and motor being vibration-free.
atnyia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:52   #13
BHPian

Resembles the hero ignitor/honda cbf stunner, new make up on an old face. Bajaj after getting that engine from kawasaki should have branched out to more categories.

TVS apaches have race data to back their claims.
The Japanese manufacturers have their moto gp technology trickle down to them.
RE till the 650 and the new engine has been the same tired dead horse, something not to look forward to.

All Bajaj did apart from the first gen pulsar and its twin spark counterpart was to add superficial parts call it a new bike and send it to the masses, good business strategy not much for enthusiasts.
Old 15th May 2021, 08:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj Pulsar 250F semi-faired version spied testing

Bajaj Pulsar F250 & N250 launched in India-20210515_081428.jpg

Bajaj Pulsar F250 & N250 launched in India-20210515_081432.jpg

Features a semi-faired design like the Pulsar 220F. Shares hardware with the naked Pulsar 250. It also gets faring-mounted rear-view mirrors and clip-on handlebars, similar to the Pulsar 220F.

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 15th May 2021 at 08:17.
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2021, 15:14   #15

More than 15 years and I am planning to replace my still running Pulsar 150 DTSI . Hope the 250F can become my next bike
swap_saraf is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed