Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2021, 14:12   #16
BHPian

Re: New KTM 390 Duke | Engine Stalling Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussantiago View Post
Sure enough, it was dirt in the throttle body / fuel system. He did a thorough deep clean of everything. He also changed the spark plug just as a precaution, though that was probably not needed. Since then, it's run just fine.
Yeah the throttle body is usually the culprit - I face it occasionally on my GS1200 and I'd put this down to "German-made, not able to handle Indian conditions". Kind of surprising for an Indian-made bike to have this - perhaps some poor quality fuel?
tanayr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 02:36   #17

Quote:
Hi everyone, quick update.

So I took my bike to my old mechanic and explained the issue. He kept the bike for three or four days and rode it frequently until he could reproduce the problem.

Sure enough, it was dirt in the throttle body / fuel system. He did a thorough deep clean of everything. He also changed the spark plug just as a precaution, though that was probably not needed. Since then, it's run just fine.

So it was just this simple issue. I'm still a bit shaken from KTM's poor response. I still haven't heard back from anyone at KTM to date.

So the bike is fine now, and I still do love riding it, so I'll stick with it and won't sell it off or anything. But yeah, disappointing after sales service though.

Thanks for all your responses! This forum rocks

p.s. my mechanic was AS Probiking in CR Park, New Delhi. They're a pair of brothers who used to work for Kawasaki and KTM, and regularly service and repair superbikes as well as Pulsars / Dominars / KTMs. They're especially skilled at diagnosing Dominar issues, based on testimony from a few friends that ride them. They do generally good work and post a lot of how-to guides on their YouTube and Insta channels.
Hi buddy, sorry to hear about your ordeal. I can understand your situation.

I have been in the Bajaj KTM ecosystem for the last 4 years now( I own a Bajaj Dominar 400 2017) and have faced my fair share of challenges with the after sales network. I finally settled down on getting my bike serviced at Baghal Link in Kirti Nagar, New Delhi. The service center is combined for Bajaj and KTM nevertheless the support I've gotten from the staff and The service GM is unmatched. They have been supportive in satisfying my eye for detail in the work carried out and have one of the better skilled mechanics available.
Feel free to ping me, I'd love to share more details about since I've built a good rapport with the GM and staff working there.

Happy Riding!
Cheers
Sammybouy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2021, 19:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Glad to note that you've resolved your issue. Pestering niggles are dime a plenty on the newer D390s. KTM's lackluster service stems purely not from their inadeptibility, but mainly due to inefficiency I have observed. In every way possible, they try to push off a vehicle as soon as possible, I have observed this in almost most of the KTM showrooms. Lacking the TAT and patience to thoroughly diagnose an issue, they eventually turn up empty handed and return with the same old golden nugger "Please bring back if the issue turns up again"

Consider yourself lucky, a FNG who is adept in knowing what to touch and a thorough diagnoses. Keep observing it for week.

Good luck. Ride safe.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 12:15   #19
BHPian

Quote:

p.s. my mechanic was AS Probiking in CR Park, New Delhi.
Hi Marcussantiago, they are indeed very skilled mechanics and I regularly service my duke 390 and dominar there only. The KTM guys are very laid back and seldom touch your bike until it is not useable anymore. I had a issue with my Duke where I was getting engine noise- more because of valve clearance. The KTM kirti nagar guys said it is normal, how strange!

Got in touch with AS probiking and within first 2 minutes they knew exactly what was the issue and showed me one of the part (Its like a hammer above crankshaft) was indeed rubbing. Got that replaced and the sound vanished for good. Overall of the best when it comes to Dukes and Dominars in NCR.

Last edited by Tuisha110HP : 8th March 2021 at 12:16.
Tuisha110HP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 16:14   #20
BHPian

Offtopic:

I'm looking to buy a pre-worshipped Duke 390. Will the guys at AS Probiking have any leads?
Old 16th March 2021, 23:44   #21
BHPian

Very sorry for the naive question here:

Since the beginning of time, we have been taught to always pull the clutch lever in while changing the gears. Infact, it became such a habit for all of us, that we don't know the reason for it.

Sure, watched a lot of videos on YT. But none went to the basics that I want to. Or maybe my searching just sucks.
Especially, considering the fact that the newer bikes now have clutchless gear shifting....

Please enlighten me in layman's terms..
Old 17th March 2021, 22:19   #22
BHPian

Sorry to hear about the issues. It's really bad when such things happen to a brand new bike.
It's good to hear that atleast you got it fixed which should have been done by KTM in the first place.
But I must ask, why didn't you contact the ASM (Area Service Manager)? The number of the manager of your area is always displayed in every KTM authorized service centre. Infact it is mandatory for every authorized service centre to display that number.
I had a crankshaft leakage issue with my 2017 Duke 250 recently and I was encouraged by the service center to contact the ASM. My bike was out of warranty and this was a costly repair so I gave him a call. He immediately got to work and helped me get a healthy discount on the job from the company. He had also helped me out on a part availability issue which got solved faster than I expected.
I've never had an issue with KTM service and when I did, a call to the ASM solved it. I would still suggest you call up and talk about this issue.
White Aviator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 10:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilzzzzOwn View Post
Very sorry for the naive question here:

Since the beginning of time, we have been taught to always pull the clutch lever in while changing the gears. Infact, it became such a habit for all of us, that we don't know the reason for it.

Sure, watched a lot of videos on YT. But none went to the basics that I want to. Or maybe my searching just sucks.
Especially, considering the fact that the newer bikes now have clutchless gear shifting....

Please enlighten me in layman's terms..
I found this video helpful -
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 15:51   #24

I have never owned a KTM, so not sure what may be the issue. However, in my experience riding the older Bajaj Avenger and different Royal Enfield models I have noticed that such issue is one of the common affects of a clogged air filter. If you or the ASC hasn't already done it, please ask them to clean/replace the air filter. Or try swapping the air filter from a different unit to check if the issue gets resolved.

Hope you find a resolution soon.
Old 13th April 2022, 14:44   #25

Yamaha Fazer issue

hi
My colleague owns a Yamaha Fazer 2014 model at Chennai. He faces a peculiar problem

1) everytime you put the bike in first gear the engine stalls. He has visited many showrooms and spent a lot of money but no solution so far

2) the bike while running switches off suddenly.
Please could anyone suggest some good mechanic for Yamaha bikes who may identify and solve the issue.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Biju
Old 18th April 2022, 18:37   #26
BHPian

Re: Yamaha Fazer issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by biju.bala View Post
hi
My colleague owns a Yamaha Fazer 2014 model at Chennai. He faces a peculiar problem

1) everytime you put the bike in first gear the engine stalls. He has visited many showrooms and spent a lot of money but no solution so far

2) the bike while running switches off suddenly.
Please could anyone suggest some good mechanic for Yamaha bikes who may identify and solve the issue.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Biju

Hi Biju,

I see that you also live in Delhi.

I'd recommend AS ProBiking in the CR Park / Govindpuri area. They're on Instagram as well. They're a pair of brothers who used to work for KTM and Kawasaki as trained technicians and seem to have a talent for diagnosing tricky bike problems, especially when it's the kind of time-consuming problem that most service centers don't want to deal with (since they're always under pressure to move bikes in and out as quickly as possible).

As for me, this was kind of the last straw for me with KTM and their increasingly poor customer service. I sold my Duke and traded it in for a Kawasaki and I'm quite happy with it.

Even after the small storm I kicked up online, KTM didn't bother to contact me or rectify this problem. Over a month later, when I had already sold it, someone from KTM did finally call me. I told them I had sold my bike and they unceremoniously hung up right away. So that was that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks