Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2021, 18:44   #1
BHPian

Kawasaki Ninja 300 BS6 launched at Rs. 3.18 lakh

The 2021 Ninja 300 has been priced at Rs 3.18 lakhs (ex-showroom).

Source - Kawasaki India Instagram

Kawasaki Ninja 300 BS6 launched at Rs. 3.18 lakh-20210302_184244.jpg

Edit: Here's what it would cost on-road in Chennai:

Kawasaki Ninja 300 BS6 launched at Rs. 3.18 lakh-20210302_184929.jpg

Last edited by Turbojc : 2nd March 2021 at 18:51.
Turbojc is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:10   #2
BHPian

Re: Kawasaki teases six new models for 2021

Disappointing launch. Same old bike. Not even updated to LED lighting which should have been bare minimum. At least the power hasn't been affected due to Bs6 norms. But the stying hasn't changed at all and its beginning to look a bit dated. It's hard to justify this bike just for the parallel twin experience.
bf1983 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:10   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly cheaper than the 390 adventure is not bad at all for a Kawasaki!
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 20:24   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Not even updated to LED lighting which should have been bare minimum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
LED headlights nor TFT display. Unacceptable in 2021.
Did not understand the hype behind LED lights. The current bike has a dual halogen setup each at 55W which is equivalent to a car headlight. And this is not a global launch of a new product but just the continuation of the bike in a BS6 avatar. Hence, there is no way Kawasaki India can work on an LED headlight setup just for the Indian market given the numbers the bike will do, compared to launching a new model globally. There is anyway the KTM if you want the latest and greatest gizmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Yes, and thats the only vehicle I have brought whose sticker price decreased from when I purchased Definitely makes a good option if someone isnt keen on flying over humps and potholes, and wouldnt mind the lower seating. That engine belongs to a different league compared to the single cylinder 390(though the 390 is like a wild animal in performance compared to a tamed horse of the 300)

Last edited by audioholic : 2nd March 2021 at 20:27.
audioholic is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 21:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Did not understand the hype behind LED lights. The current bike has a dual halogen setup each at 55W which is equivalent to a car headlight. And this is not a global launch of a new product but just the continuation of the bike in a BS6 avatar. Hence, there is no way Kawasaki India can work on an LED headlight setup just for the Indian market given the numbers the bike will do, compared to launching a new model globally. There is anyway the KTM if you want the latest and greatest gizmos.
I have the Kawasaki Z650 with a halogen setup. I have never been so scared ever riding a bike at night as the illumination is horrible ! I have changed the bulb to an LED and its FAR better. I rode in pitch darkness a few weeks back and I was never nervous as the illumination throw was excellent though the halogen reflector housing meant the beam was pretty scattered and not that focused. Most people who buy this bike will need to upgrade the lighting or get AUX lights if they ever ride at night.

Kawasaki could have taken the time to do a slight redesign if they wanted this bike to sell in decent numbers. The Ninja 250 which sells abroad has LED lighting and a more modern look. If Kawasaki don't want to take risks how do they expect to do well when they have plenty of competition now from the cheaper but very capable TVS RR 310, KTM Adventure 390, BMW G310 GS and others which are great touring machines. If Yamaha launches the R3 for a decent price then it will hit the Ninja sales even harder.

The problem is compounded even further when the stock MRF tyres that the Ninja 300 come with are horrible and ideally should be changed immediately. Currently even the Adventure 390 come with bad tyres due to the import restrictions but hopefully they should be lifted soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The pricing seems to be a bit off since the 390 Adventure ex showroom price is 3.10 lakhs vs the 3.18 lakhs for the Ninja 300.
bf1983 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 21:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have the Kawasaki Z650 with a halogen setup. I have never been so scared ever riding a bike at night as the illumination is horrible ! I have changed the bulb to an LED and its FAR better.
Swapping LED bulbs are not equivalent to having an LED setup from factory. And the Z650 uses a single halogen bulb at 55/60W, unlike the Ninja 300. Hence, you would find it insufficient for our roads. LEDs are good in pitch dark no doubt, because of the difference in color temperature. But ride them in semi lit roads and you will realise that LEDs are not always better. Same thing for different vehicles. LEDs dont always make things better, unless we see things case by case. I have tinkered enough with the N300s headlights so far ranging from bulbs, Bixenon upgrade and so and can say that the OE setup is definitely not something which will beg for an upgrade. It is just that we always want so much light we can be able to spot potholes on the road and unmarked speedbreakers and what not, hence we want more light.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 07:04   #7
BHPian

Ah yes I thought your handle was familiar. I have read your ninja 300 thread multiple times over the years

The thing is I rode my bike with the stock halogens only once at night when it was drizzling and I have never been more scared in my life. I just couldn't see a thing. Had to follow an Activa in order to see ahead. It was so bad. I hit a few potholes as well due to not being able to see anything on the road. So that one incident has turned me off on halogen lights completely.

After switching to a brighter led I have ridden many times at night and I have never had theat same sense of dread where I felt I was running blind.

But since you actually have a ninja 300 and you were satisfied with the stock lighting setup to a degree I guess it probably wasn't that bad. But still it's not a good sales pitch for a 2021 3l bike to be probably the only one for sale in India with halogen lights when everyone else has moved on to brighter LED lighting.
bf1983 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:33   #8
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kawasaki Ninja 300 BS6 launched at Rs. 3.18 lakh

Kawasaki Ninja 300 BS6 launched at Rs. 3.18 lakh - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After switching to a brighter led I have ridden many times at night and I have never had theat same sense of dread where I felt I was running blind.
I agree. I too thought Ninja 300 had worst headlight and upgraded to HID. An LED headlight was a logical addition for an 8 year old model.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:

Kawasaki could have taken the time to do a slight redesign if they wanted this bike to sell in decent numbers. The Ninja 250 which sells abroad has LED lighting and a more modern look. If Kawasaki don't want to take risks how do they expect to do well when they have plenty of competition now from the cheaper but very capable TVS RR 310, KTM Adventure 390, BMW G310 GS and others which are great touring machines. If Yamaha launches the R3 for a decent price then it will hit the Ninja sales even harder.
I, Have to agree on this, Kawasaki wants to just play safe. They surely will be in trouble soon if they continue this, Now that triumph has partnered with BAJAJ, TVS with BMW and even HARLEY with HERO. There will be more premium offerings at a competitive price and many gimmicky features.
Jhinchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 12:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Is Kawasaki producing the bike here? Or are they still producing it elsewhere and merely assembling it here? I feel if they can produce it here and price it lower than the RC390 (which it is in international markets that don't have strict import taxes), that should light up the segment after KTMs introduction and show BMW how its done by kicking both the rr310 and g310r in the butt.

I am bored of seeing all the KTMs on the road because I know that half if not more than half of the owners have bought the bike only for the looks and performance but they are not ready to deal with the hardcore nature of these bikes thus leading to KTM developing tamer and tamer products as each generation passes; which is not something someone like me likes to see.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 3rd March 2021 at 12:50.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 13:50   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Is Kawasaki producing the bike here? Or are they still producing it elsewhere and merely assembling it here? I feel if they can produce it here and price it lower than the RC390 (which it is in international markets that don't have strict import taxes), that should light up the segment after KTMs introduction and show BMW how its done by kicking both the rr310 and g310r in the butt.
From the last time I discussed about this, the powertrain and chassis was still imported, while the rest of the stuff like body panels, accessories etc were localized. And in some cases, what was wierd about many Kawasakis were that many parts were produced in India and exported to Thailand where the bike was made, and then the bike was either reimported as CKD or CBU. For the N300, this process was just tweaked and hence resulted in some savings in costs, along with the change of suppliers for brakes, tyres, wheel rim etc which further brought down the cost. Imagine this, the bike I brought in 2017 was having an ex showroom cost of 3.79L. After four years, ABS addition and BS6 upgrade, it still costs 50k lesser than what I paid. Hence you can imagine how much of a cost saving this was which could cover the inflation and increase in taxes over time.

The localisation of body panels also gave them a chance to increase the availability of different colours for the N300 whereas earlier it was only one colour starting from lime green, then white and KRT. After localisation, we have seen Metallic Green, Blue, Lime green, Black-silver and now three more colours. Not sure about the arrangement with the powertrain though.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:44   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

The efficacy of the bulb you install in the headlight assy completely depends on the reflector used inside. If that reflector has been designed for halogen, then an led unit is not meant to be there. But you can always experiment cheaply with different designs of led bulbs to see what works best.

However i agree that the stock lights on most these bikes are rubbish.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 10:52   #14
BHPian

The pricing, for me, is biggest fly in the ointment. BS4 was around 3.91 lakhs when i enquired. I procrastinated too long and now having to shell out extra moola for basically same bike. I don't sleep very well with such thoughts. I am now thinking not to go for it.

Kawasaki Ninja 300 BS6 launched at Rs. 3.18 lakh-ninja300.png
raghu.bramha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 13:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojc View Post
The 2021 Ninja 300 has been priced at Rs 3.18 lakhs (ex-showroom).

Source - Kawasaki India Instagram

Attachment 2127878

Edit: Here's what it would cost on-road in Chennai:

Attachment 2127880
Processing charges of 3000/- ??
Kawasaki doesn't seem to be learning from past mistakes!
Also, is there a typo in the official launch document - model year says 2022.

Most Viewed