Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2021, 17:26   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Ola's made-in-India Electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 99,999

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post

The majors are the worst offenders. TVS/Bajaj have a namesake EV model making a few hundred every month to sell in just 2-3 cities. What a joke?

Glad to see OLA wake up and smell the coffee!
TVS and Bajaj wants to keep selling lakes of IC engines due to their investments in R&D and hence EV will always be an afterthought.

Especially Bajaj went greedy in hiking chetak prices when others were passing on the benefits to customers(including TVS reduced). Also significant % of our market prefers motorcycles so the only potential threat is for the likes of Activa/Jupiter.

OLA has a clean slate and can only win market by disruption. Something what jio and Amazon did when they launched in India.

I expect price correction on Chetak and perhaps even Ather.

Last edited by rajshenoy : 18th July 2021 at 17:30.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 19:17   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
I love Ather as a start-up, I feel the old fellows in Hero group have killed the Ather scooters. They would have asked for profits from day one, they should have been given some breathing space before mass manufacturing (ramp up of Hosur plant) and competent pricing of 450.
Ather founders did not do any favors themselves by concentrating more on smart features instead of an electric scooter at a good price. Software is hard and good software engineers are expensive. They also overthought the usefulness of smart features in a scooter. All people need in a scooter is navigation that works and statistics related to charging and range. The sad thing is it fails at even these basic features. They nailed the hardware part though. It's the best scooter in the country to ride in my experience.

The absurd pricing of 450x means it will always be a niche. Fixed costs of Ather energy were not sustainable with such low volumes. They should have developed a basic scooter without smart features and priced low to get the volumes.
sri_tesla is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 19:31   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
They also overthought the usefulness of smart features in a scooter. All people need in a scooter is navigation that works and statistics related to charging and range.
Couldn't agree more. Why large screen and navigation when it is hardly any use for many. How many times do I use navigation or for that matter how many times do I go unknown places that need navigation?

For me just a charging info and statistics is enough. Rest all info they can have all they want OTA from my scooter. I don't mind.

And the design has to be smooth with curves not corners and edges.

My kid compares Ather to the glider used by the villain Norman Osborn in the Spiderman movie.
fordday is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 12:58   #109
Senior - BHPian

Ather committed suicide with their pricing. Too many bean counters making their strategy and for some reason everyone thinks they are building a Tesla when in reality the Scooter space is a commodity. The cheaper the better should be the motto. You can never recover the cost differential against an activa with that pricing. People within the org have raised this point to be silenced by the II Cartel.

Ola scooter looks good, but this reservation amount was good marketing. Lets see the conversion ratio. The scooter does have the feel of being small and only time will tell if it will last 3-5 years of rough use.

Good luck OLA and hope you make a killing if the price is right.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 14:26   #110
Senior - BHPian

Bhavish Aggarwal do put a poll on Twitter finalising the colour options for Ola Electric Scooter.

Ola's made-in-India Electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 99,999-smartselect_20210719142434_twitter.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 19th July 2021 at 14:27.
Venkatesh is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 14:49   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Bhavish Aggarwal do put a poll on Twitter finalising the colour options for Ola Electric Scooter.

Attachment 2181005

Link
I think it will have all the colour as well as range options which are listed in the polls.
Old 19th July 2021, 15:22   #112
BHPian

Guys, do you really believe in the 240Kms range?. I can't take the plunge until some one who has ridden it actually vouches for it. Especially with the swappable battery stuff.
Old 19th July 2021, 16:08   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Guys, do you really believe in the 240Kms range?...Especially with the swappable battery stuff.
Whoever said anything about 240 Km...I don't know what to say!!

Even their website says 75 Km very clearly & may be requires 18 min to charge for for 75 Km (that too with hyper charger, not with the 5A home socket), those things have to come from customer's word of mouth.

All the remaining pipe dreams of swappable battery, 3 X 80 Km (it was speculated 80 Km through some source in the 1st page of this thread) are fanciful thoughts!!

Single battery, charged <20 min, yielding 75 Km is a small breakthrough at the moment because a full charge is sufficient for riding within city (although my expectation is 120+ Km) & most importantly, IF, the price is kept at par with a 125 CC ICE scooter. Today even the best e-scooter, although yields over 100 Km, lacks the full charging time in minutes & priced at other end of spectrum.

This practical requirements is all required to penetrate into today's scooter market, especially as an entrant

Last edited by aargee : 19th July 2021 at 16:16.
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 16:19   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Whoever said anything about 240 Km...I don't know what to say!!
That's what it says here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5102711

Or am i mistaken?.
Old 19th July 2021, 16:28   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
That's what it says here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5102711

Or am i mistaken?.
Not mistaken, but would say the interpretation differs...

My interpretation of, "The Ola e-scooter IS LIKELY to use...and COULD HAVE a range of...It is EXPECTED to offer a..." sounds like wishful thinking than product conformation

English is a funny language, could be, would be, may be, might be & perhaps are not to be interpreted as will be, should be & shall be

And...what's the official source of the above information? Ola? Etergo? Or any third party claims?
aargee is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 16:31   #116
Senior - BHPian

The 240km range is at a speed of 20kmph, not a practical range, similar to ARAI test .

The 75km range in 18mins could be 20-80% charge, I am guessing 125km range at 40kmph. OLA is not advertising removable batteries, so I believe it comes with fixed battery, the specs were changed no point in discussing etergo specs, etergo is already bankrupt.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 19th July 2021 at 16:35.
SKC-auto is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 17:10   #117
Senior - BHPian

Ola Electric Scooter in white colour.

Quote:
Bhavish Aggarwal : Tried one in white. What do you all think!
Ola's made-in-India Electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 99,999-20210719_170956.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 19th July 2021 at 17:11.
Venkatesh is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 19:24   #118

Booked one just in case they deliver on the hype. amount got deducted and then the site crashed. No confirmation, nothing. Raised support request. Awaiting reply/resolution.
Old 19th July 2021, 21:17   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

@anandmahindra
·
18 Jul
No matter how this scooter ultimately fares, it is exciting to see courage & risk-taking being rewarded. The more entrepreneurs that follow the lead of
@bhash & show no fear of failure, the more robust Indian innovation will become…

Respect, a very encouraging tweet from AM.

Somehow I feel rather than go down the Jawa/Peugeot route, M&M was best placed among the auto majors to be a disruptor in the 2 wheeled EV space. They have good knowledge in electric propulsion and would have been far more fruitful aiming for a segment with no big players vis a vis trying to take on the two wheeler giants of India.
shortbread is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 22:03   #120
Senior - BHPian

The reason the OLA scooter is so exciting is that it is a beautifully thought out design using an out of box approach, rather than simply adapting EV drivetrain to a traditional scooter package.

As many already knows the OLA electric scooter was born from OLA purchasing rights to the Ertego start up. So apologies if I repeat what has already been discussed.

The Ertego venture ran into significant cash-flow issues despite being one of Europe's most exciting EV projects and was looking to cash out which is when OLA saw the opportunity.

Quote:
Etergo’s CEO Bart Jacobsz Rosier.

'I am not allowed to disclose the exact purchasing price, but it was at a significant loss and we felt that we needed to give away all of our entitlement from the purchasing price to all the investors, including all the crowdfunders.'
i.e OLA grabbed a bargain in attaining rights to a thoroughly developed product that consumed a lot of capital and man-hours to reach it's final iteration. The Indian company saved both time and money.

So how is this scooter different?
- Monocoque chassis vis a vis traditional body on frame scooters: Yep, being a T-bhpian you are all well versed in the monocoque vs body-frame debate. So yes OLA has gone the mono route (an Indian 2 wheeler first since the M80 days) creating a very rigid frame that contributes to excellent handling characteristics, lighter weight and creates more internal space for peripherals/storage.

Depends on which side of the argument you sit on, eg. a CJ540 enthusiast will say nothing beats body on frame and even aeroplanes should be made this way, So make of it what you may.

The developers claim the vehicle will have class leading structural rigidity and handling.

- Modular removable batteries: It can pack in 3 Lithium battery modules for a maximum range of 240km. A single battery module provides a range of 80km. So a base variant could come simply with a single module to save cost. Each battery module weighs 8.5kgs and offers 1.2kWh of power per module. So more batteries = more range.

They are removable so the rider can take each module to be charged at his home/office at a time, rather than have to deal with either a massive battery or not having the convenience of it being removable at all. This is a big boon for high-rise/flat dwellers who might not have a charge point where they park.

The batteries are packaged in such a way that they insert themselves to be placed under the riders feet. This compact design brings us to the next point.

- 50L storage space: Perhaps 2.5-3 times the industry standard. I think the Activa is around 18 litres. That is a huge plus in our market, as good as having two additional panniers worth of storage added.

These are just some of the major points. The design incorporates, in hub motor, belt drive, powerful headlamps, regen braking etc..etc...

I am not sure how many of these features will make it to the final production variant but fingers crossed they do. Here is a video of the Ertego presentation.

shortbread is online now   (20) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks