Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2021, 17:14   #571
BHPian

Re: Ola's made-in-India Electric scooter, now launched at Rs. 99,999

I see that most of the features of this scooter are software controlled. I foresee a possibility of OLA locking some features in the future and demanding a payment or a subscription service for these features. I believe this was done with Tesla as well.

If this indeed turns out to be true, other EV manufacturers in India may follow this as well and this could set a bad precedent in the two wheeler market.
nikhn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 17:20   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Just in case anyone's interested or had doubts sown by rabid comments about the veracity of OLA electric's operations.
Which comments you are trying to point, on social media? I saw few comments here already about Bhavish working style, why everyone leaving. These things happen to companies who want to make a change, finally there will be a day when everyone supporting OLA will be called Bhavish fanboys or launde
SKC-auto is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 17:48   #573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Just in case anyone's interested or had doubts sown by rabid comments about the veracity of OLA electric's operation
I think most of us are apprehensive about the product than the company itself.

Again, talking about the operation, size & investment on the company do not guarantee anything especially after hearing the plight of companies like Lehman Bros, Countrywide, USB, RBS, Kingfisher, Satyam & even to Ford, GM & Harley in India

We're all just taking a blind faith, that's all. The stronger the company's affiliation, more the faith that's all
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 17:51   #574
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Which comments you are trying to point, on social media? I saw few comments here already about Bhavish working style, why everyone leaving. These things happen to companies who want to make a change, finally there will be a day when everyone supporting OLA will be called Bhavish fanboys or launde
Heh , I remember that.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. - MKG.

OLA is already winning. Waiting for the reviews.
Old 17th September 2021, 18:16   #575
BHPian

I think it's disingenuous to claim vehicles "sold" when these are just being booked at this point. A scooter at the end of the day is a vehicle and not a mobile phone. How a vehicle behaves on the road is just as important as what powers it. Then there is the ownership experience which is critical to the success of any automobile.

Hype is obviously good for manufacturerer as it helps them generate sales but it would be interesting to see how the product fares in the real world
Old 17th September 2021, 18:27   #576
BHPian

For me, do I enjoy OLA cab rides? No.
Are the OLA cab conditions comfortable, clean enough? Almost never.
Are the OLA cab drivers friendly to the passengers? Not at all.
Is the OLA cab App experience good enough? I have not used it for past 2 years or more. Before that, Problems were never resolved properly.

Now, would you buy OLA e-scooter? Well, it looks good, fantastic colours, good specifications. But with the above mentioned experiences with OLA, I would rather wait for it.

Between, I don't like the Hype based marketing strategies. It is good for buying those brick type mobile handsets with note, pro, pro max...x, y , z; but not buying an e-scooter.

Last edited by RijuC : 17th September 2021 at 18:32.
RijuC is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 18:43   #577
BHPian

I don't buy into the premise of buying an automotive right at launch due to the issues that come during the first year of production & with OLA being a new player, there are good chances of finding these issues.
Regarding Bhavish's tweet about grabbing a scooter at introductory prices, I will happily invest that amount for a year, wait for reviews to come out, issues to be sorted & then buy it as the returns generated will easily offset the increase in prices
CafeRacer16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 19:21   #578
BHPian

The media reviews were supposed to be released by mid-Sept. Just asked Shumi from Powerdrift and they do not have any review units till now. So, it's unlikely that first ride reviews will be out this month.

I think media drives should've been held by now which would've helped people to make a decision.
Old 17th September 2021, 19:37   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer16 View Post
I don't buy into the premise of buying an automotive right at launch due to the issues that come during the first year of production & with OLA being a new player, there are good chances of finding these issues.
Regarding Bhavish's tweet about grabbing a scooter at introductory prices, I will happily invest that amount for a year, wait for reviews to come out, issues to be sorted & then buy it as the returns generated will easily offset the increase in prices
Unfortunately, price hikes of cars and bikes in India have tended to outpace the rate of return in traditional investment instruments
Old 17th September 2021, 19:41   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Unfortunately, price hikes of cars and bikes in India have tended to outpace the rate of return in traditional investment instruments
True, but why to go for traditional investments for a non-traditional set of wheels
CafeRacer16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 21:03   #581
BHPian

I may be wrong but IMHO electric vehicles are going to be a depreciation disaster. With evolving battery technology, present ones may be outdated in another 5 years. What would be resale value after 5 years when a battery costing 30-35k needs replacement. While OLA and kinds may be having novice value at present I don't think that is going to be of real value to people with low running. They are better off with IC angine.
drsnt is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 21:35   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnt View Post
While OLA and kinds may be having novice value at present I don't think that is going to be of real value to people with low running. They are better off with IC angine.
Not when petrol is north of Rs100 and rising!

Plus people who live in independent dwelling with a roof can produce electricity for free. We have a 4KW solar setup surplus to our requirements.
shortbread is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 21:42   #583
BHPian

Quote:
I may be wrong but IMHO electric vehicles are going to be a depreciation disaster. With evolving battery technology, present ones may be outdated in another 5 years. What would be resale value after 5 years when a battery costing 30-35k needs replacement. While OLA and kinds may be having novice value at present I don't think that is going to be of real value to people with low running. They are better off with IC angine.
How different is it from IC engined scooters really? Its not like they're standing still. After bs6 most 125cc scooters got Fi and CBS but that didnt make the previous versions obsolete did it? Depreciation will be a factor across the board and its not like every scooter buyer in India will be aware of those technicalities just like how the majority of them are not aware how an IC engine works either.
Most of them simply fill it and shut it and once they wear off they go on to something new and sell their scoot for pittance or scrap it.

Ive been reading about nissan leaf owners swapping their batteries for new ones with the latest tech and most of them are still happy with it as it costs them little or no maintenance after 8 odd years of service and they dont have to worry about other wear and tear parts like clutch or turbos or timing chains and belts etc that are sure to give way unless every one owns a toyota

If we add all these up it makes a lot of sense to own an EV even if it costs more to swap batteries later on. Anther plus for EVs is interchangeability. swapping the batteries for a new tech one is way easier than changing the whole engine.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 21:49   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I may be wrong but IMHO electric vehicles are going to be a depreciation disaster. With evolving battery technology, present ones may be outdated in another 5 years. What would be resale value after 5 years when a battery costing 30-35k needs replacement...They are better off with IC angine.
For now, EV is more of a lifestyle than VFM; remember in the mid 90s when the cellphones entered into the market? The brick sized phone costed as much as Lakh with Rs 12 outgoing & Rs 8 incoming compared to today's smart phone that is computer in pocket with a decent one costing as low as 15K & 10000 times powerful than the bricks of yesteryears & today's video calls are at throw away price?

So, whatever you're saying is 100% right; when I did a math between Ather 450+ versus ICE scooter yielding 55 Kmpl for a yearly running of 10,000 Km for 5 years & considering the battery replacement cost at 5th year, the gain of using EV is hardly over 30K; negligible savings for 5 years. Hopefully when the market matures, we should be able to see super VFM making ICE vehicles totally obsolete.

Last edited by aargee : 17th September 2021 at 21:50.
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 23:24   #585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First like to point out, EV batteries just do not go kaput one fine morning, their capacity drops over several years. I hope after 10years the OLA S1(smaller battery) version will still have a range of 60-70km, plenty for city use.

Let's do some math for 5 years ownership, 30000km, ICE scooter mileage of 45kmpl, I will not consider maintenance for this calculation, petrol price at 105₹/ltr, full charging costs 24₹@ 8₹/kWh.

Petrol scooter:
Price:90000₹
Petrol cost: (30000km/45kmpl)*105₹=70000₹
Resale value after 5 years:45000
Total: 1,15,000₹

Ola S1:
Price:1,00,000₹
Electricity cost:(30000km/100kmpercharge)*24₹= 7,200₹
Resale value(if battery is kaput): 15,000₹
Total: 92,200

Still saving 20K, with performance unmatchable by 125cc ICE, if the battery can be used for 10 years, savings are much greater than 1lakh.

There are also other variables like total collapse of ICE 2 wheeler market in this segment where you cannot sell 2nd hand ICE scooter after 5 years, the maintenance on OLA S1 could be almost zero in these 5 years.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 17th September 2021 at 23:29.
SKC-auto is online now   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed