Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2021, 22:42   #151
BHPian

Re: Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatech2006 View Post
[*]This is purely based on my eyesight - I wear glasses and the visor was kinda playing with my vision, enough to give me a headache. Maybe, I'll get used to this as I've never ridden any with a visor
That's optical aberrations being present in the windscreen, nothing to do with your eyesight. The Africa Twin's windscreen has a similar defect. Unfathomable as to why they don't give a good quality windscreen on such an expensive motorcycle, but the conspiracy theorist in me feels that unless they keep the quality at a questionable level, would anyone even consider parts from the aftermarket? Quite positive these tactics are employed to benefit sales charts and stock prices of aftermarket part vendors.

Long story short, discarded the stock windscreen for a National Cycle V-Stream. Lovely vision through the windscreen, so much so, that I've stopped having to squint over the top of the screen and enjoy looking through it.

Last edited by GoBlue : 19th October 2021 at 22:53.
Old 21st October 2021, 01:17   #152
BHPian

I recently took a test ride of the CB500X and really liked the bike. I just came away after riding a 390 ADV and here are some of my observations.

1) CB500 feels really well made. The fit and finish is really good.
2) The seat height is lower than the 390 ADV.
3) I felt very similar while riding both the bikes. My friend had an altered gearing on his 390 and hence even that felt decently torquey. Both bikes had this flying over the road kind of feeling. Both felt happy cruising at 90-100KMph. Maybe the CB felt a bit more potent in terms of available torque but the difference was not night and day.
4) CB500 is more comfortable and the suspension is tuned slightly softer.
5) I felt a bit more confidence in leaning the 390 however the CB500 was not that behind too.
6) Headlights of CB500 were not good. I think KTM has better headlights.
7) To me, the KTM lacks a bit of finesse and that finer feeling and calibration of various touch points and levers, but true to my expectation CB500 has all that.
8) CB500 feels a tad bigger while riding. You feel like you are riding a bigger bike.

I would chose the CB500, if it was not for the price. Even for all its goodness, its really hard to convince to spend that much on CB500. I am really looking for used options, if only Honda managed to sell any in the first place.

Rachit

Last edited by GTO : 21st October 2021 at 08:34. Reason: small typo
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 09:17   #153
BHPian

Well, after riding the CB500X , I re-evaluated my perspective.
If this bike was priced well, we would be all be talking about it as a serious platform to build your adventure or touring life on. A solid & friendly engine, well managed weight & manners & Honda's reliability, finally at do-it-all unicorn !!
But because of it's price, any potential buyer needs a lot of internal & external rationalization before chewing the bitter pill of shelling out 8.5 lacs approximately. .
Since correcting the price is Honda's prerogative, let me dwell on CB500X as a platform instead. An analogy here if I may.
A good quality VANILLA ice-cream is the one that you would put as a base for your favorite sundae & then add toppings as per your taste. If you just get a good Vanilla, you would enjoy it the first time but then get bored fast. Plus no one looks at envy with anyone eating an 300 rupees vanilla ice cream. On the other hand no matter how good the toppings, if the base ice cream is bad, the sundae(y) is spoiled.

So while we know about the ice-cream, I went a step further to check out the toppings as well.

Sharing my findings here for those who are interested. All info is from UK market.

1. Honda Genuine accessories. Some of them are a must in my view.
Name:  Honda Genuine.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  77.2 KB
2. The Rally raid kit options for those seeking a higher level of adventure.
Name:  Rallyraid.jpg
Views: 1697
Size:  116.7 KB

Each rider will have his own priority on the parts they might want but hope this gives a view of the options available and the investment to be factored in over and above the 8.5 lacs for the base motorcycle.

While pricing the bike at 8.5 lacs, if this holistic "platform perspective" was baked in then the outcome might have been delightfully different for the motorcycling community in India & the good folks at Honda. Buyers would have lapped up the bike plus bought the high margin kits & accessories. Good money & satisfied loyal customers a win-win. Alas that was not to be.

And yes, no matter how many times I say that 8.5 lac number, it still shocks me.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st December 2021 at 05:19. Reason: Extra smiley deleted
shaikhmimran is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 20:57   #154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikhmimran View Post
CB500X as a platform instead.
Price correction perspective.
Platform perspective.

All the perspective I needed is when you finished the TD with it and said your riding experience was "so-so".
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 23:17   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Earlier this year, I had shared a couple of posts on this thread over here (Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh) and later, here (Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh), that covered my thoughts on the Honda CB500X. Since I have been closely following the bike for years, I know what a lot of veteran riders from international markets have said after covering tens of thousands of kilometers, what quality levels to expect and so on.

Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh-20211220_155021.jpg

I finally got a long test ride of the Honda CB500X and it reinforced everything that I have seen and heard about the bike. After an hour and a half, I grudgingly returned the keys to the dealership folks because I really enjoyed my time with the bike. This is yet another over-engineered gem of a bike from the fine folks at Honda!

In summary,
- dont let the 47.5 HP numbers fool you into thinking that this is a boring Honda. I had a lot of fun with the motorcycle!
- if you want one bike to manage peak rush hour traffic everyday, Friday night coffee meetings with friends, Saturday grocery trips to buy veggies, Sunday morning breakfast rides, quarterly rides to a nearby hillstation and the once a year ten day road trip, then this is the perfect bike for you.
- the bike gives you all the advantages of a big bike (looks, power, effortless highway cruising, easy overtakes) without any of the usual associated disadvantages (cumbersome weight at low speeds, heavy clutch, engine heat, unusable power). It really is the best of both worlds.
- in recent years, Ive test ridden the Africa Twin (first gen DCT), CBR650F, CB650R (Honda CB650R Review) and Ive really liked most of them. I thought that I had found the perfect bike with the CB650R but after riding the CB500X over a considerable distance, I had to re-evaluate my choices. If a boffin from HMSI woke up in a generous mood and asked me to pick the keys to any bike from their test fleet for me to ride for a month, I would take the CB500X. Its a no brainer.
- I have always maintained that the Interceptor 650 is my perfect do it all single bike to have in my garage. Now, I would add the Honda CB500X as a worthy alternate. Both are excellent motorcycles.
- there has been a lot of recent chatter about the Tiger Sport 660 and how it is going to be a better option than the CB500X. MCN suggested that the bike is a sports touring version of the Street Triple 675. That tells me everything that I need to know about the new Triumph. If I can summarize the Honda and the Triumph, I will say that the CB500X is a big small bike and the Tiger Sport 660 is a small big bike.

Money no bar, if I could buy one motorcycle to add to my garage tomorrow, it would be the Honda CB500X. Yes, even over new and preowned options like the Tiger 900/800, Versys 650/1000, VStrom 650, Ninja 1000, ZX10R, Street Triple RS 765 and every other big bike across segments. As a product, the CB500X is the perfect bike for my kind of all round riding.

Unfortunately, the CB500X is overpriced by at least a couple of lakhs and Honda needs to consider offering the same no road tax, no insurance cost deals for the CB500X, that it provided for some of its bigger motorcycles. Or something better. Only then can riders like me think about heading to the nearest Big Wing dealership with a chequebook in hand.

Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh-20211220_153239.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (54) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 00:37   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Unfortunately, the CB500X is overpriced by at least a couple of lakhs and Honda needs to consider offering the same no road tax, no insurance cost deals for the CB500X, that it provided for some of its bigger motorcycles. Or something better. Only then can riders like me think about heading to the nearest Big Wing dealership with a chequebook in hand.
I cannot share how much I am itching to get this bike. I can pay a premium for a finely engineered product as well. But if the Premium is 3 lakhs, unfortunately it is out of my affordability league.

True to what you said. If I want to add 1 bike in my garage today of all the big advs or what not, this is it.

Hopefully will be test riding the BMWG310GS soon.

Please Honda, launch this bike at a fair price. Everybody has love for this bike, but the price has just been a shocker!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 01:08   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

Unfortunately, the CB500X is overpriced by at least a couple of lakhs and Honda needs to consider offering the same no road tax, no insurance cost deals for the CB500X, that it provided for some of its bigger motorcycles. Or something better. Only then can riders like me think about heading to the nearest Big Wing dealership with a chequebook in hand
Well I guess we don’t have anyone in this forum or elsewhere in India who thinks otherwise. Since the 500X was launched everyone has maintained the same stand. Other than the exorbitant sticker price, 500X is just the perfect bike for Indian conditions . Personally I will wait for used examples as I don’t think the Honda folks are in any mood to amend pricing
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 01:27   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_chelat View Post
Do let us know once you test drive the KTM. Curious to know how it compares to the CB500X.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Visited the Honda showroom Mumbai yesterday for the CB500X.

Next would be to have a ride on the Versys 650, Benelli TRK 500 and the KTM 390 adv.

Update:

After riding the Cb500x, I recently got a chance to ride the 390 adv and V-Strom, thanks to fellow bhpians (Kailash and Mohan). And today we had a good long test ride of the Versys 650.

So, How do the 4 bikes compare!

Simply put - CB500x seems to be the most versatile of them all. Its smooth compared to the KTM, light compared to the Versys and V-Strom.

Power.
Compared to both the 650's the CB is very low on power. Initially I felt that it was enough but it was my first time riding a 500cc bike. Today after have ridden both the 650s I am sure that one would definitely feel the need for more power than what's there on the CB. Especially on the highways, you will surely feel it. The highway speeds that the 650s can cruise on, would be a bit of a stretch of the CB.

CB is very much comparable to the KTM in terms of power, but they way they deliver the power is very different. KTM is kind of immediate, while the CB has a liner curve, and the KTM being very much lighter, it feels much more eager to go.

Refinement.
In terms of refinement, I personally feel that the V-Strom is most refined, followed by CB and then the Versys. KTM's single unit refinement is unmatched to the twins in here.

Built.
The CB and V-Strom are on par with the built quality. Both feel very well built and somethings that would last for a lifetime. Versys comes next and the KTM is just ok comparatively.

Road Presence.
So here the KTM lacks behind as its smaller, sounds same as the other siblings and the color scheme is also the same. CB comes next, it has good road presence as best described. Next is the V-Strom, its actually very similar to the Versys. Then the Versys which seems to have the most of road presence given the sheer size and the bright green that's on sale currently.

Ride quality and Handling.
Here the CB shines for me, as the soft suspension handles the bumps rather well and the ride is very smooth. At the same time, the soft suspension might not be very corner friendly, but it’s a tourer and cornering need not be its forte. Versys and V-Strom both manage the bad roads similarly, and they are not as plush as the CB, but aren't bad either. You can stand and ride on all three motorcycles, which makes the ride quite easy. The KTM being light, is very nimble and agile, however, I did not really have the chance to take it through bad roads and cannot judge it based on the smooth tarmac ride that I had.
Highway manners are are good on all three motorcycles. However, given the weight, I feel that the V-Strom and Versys would be in a better position to hold their ground in case of strong cross winds.

I felt that the V-Strom is very well balanced, with all the weight at the bottom, this bike is easy to turn into corners. Next comes the CB and then the top heavy Versys. The Versys is by no means a bad handling machine, however here we are talking in terms of very minor differences.

Running and Maintenance costs.
Here the feel the KTM would be the winner hands down. So, we can keep it aside and concentrate on the others for the comparison purpose.
The CB being a Honda would definitely be cheap to maintain as the spares are less expensive and Honda bikes usually do to throw up expected bills. Apart from the basic change of oils and filter, I don’t think the Honda will give any hiccup ever.
The V-Strom would be up next, as discussed with Mohan who owns a V-Strom, the maintenance is not very expensive. The service is once a year and it’s not too expensive compared to the Kawasaki.
The Versys I believe would be the most expensive amongst the 4 to maintain. As informed by the Sales Exec, the bike needs service every 6k kms or 6 months. With each service billing up to 8000 Rs. So a minimum of 16-18 k per year would be required, and apart from that the spare are the most expensive amongst our selected bikes.

CB being the least powerful would be the one to return a better fuel economy compared to both the 650s.

Features.
The 390 has the most features of the bikes here. V-Strom coming in next with switchable TC and tubeless spokes, and then the Versys and CB are almost on par with no such advanced features. (The 2022 Versys would probably change it with the LED lights and TFT).

Verdict.
Here I shall put the price against the factors mentioned above.

The 390 is the most budget friendly bike which has the capacity and features. However the refinement levels and build quality is a turn off (for me at least). Again, you only get so much for your money, at 3.9L on-road(Mumbai) cost the bike seems to be totally worth it.

Honda demands 8.5L on-road for the CB, God knows what were they thinking. The bike simply is jack of all trades and master of none. Whatever you want this bike for, it can do it but it will always make you feel that a little more would have been much better.

At 8.8L on-road for the Versys 650, this seems to be the bike that hits the nail. However the weight and top heavy feel can be an issue, especially with all the luggage one carries for touring. This feeling can be pronounced for shorter riders and worse when a short rider is trying to control the Versys with luggage in the traffic. Additionally the spares and service cost of the Versys are the highest compared to others in the category.

V-Strom comes in at 11.10L on-road. The only V-twin bike in this category giving out the smoothest ride no matter what RPM you're at. The service costs are less expensive compared to the Kawasaki in the gang, But the initial cost difference of almost 2.3 L can easily make up for it. Add a couple of lacs to the V-Strom, and you will find yourself in the Tiger 800GT territory.

So as of now, from the perspective of someone who intends to do comfortable long distance touring, no offroad, the Versys seems to be the best bet.

Note: These were all my personal opinions, your opinions might vary.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th December 2021 at 18:40. Reason: Corrected: Vstorm - V-Strom
iamahunter is offline   (71) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 23:14   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Other than the exorbitant sticker price, 500X is just the perfect bike for Indian conditions .
SoumenD, you will be surprised but there are a lot of Indian riders who dislike Honda motorcycles for being well, Honda motorcycles. A Honda being fast, butter smooth, ultra reliable, a great handler and over engineered is now a bad thing.

Whether the bike has 47 HP, 120 HP or 200 HP, the common refrain is always "Oh its a Honda, its bound to be boring. Yawn! Lets buy some other exciting Japanese motorcycle instead."

This Honda means boring motorcycles is a tired old Indian motorcycling trope and despite the CB500X being perfectly suited for Indian conditions, we will always have naysayers who will find all sorts of reasons to bash it.

Quote:
After riding the Cb500x, I recently got a chance to ride the 390adv and V-Strom, thanks to fellow bhpians(Kailash and Mohan). And today we had a good long test ride of the Versys 650.

Simply put - CB500x seems to be the most versatile of them all. Its smooth compared to the KTM, light compared to the Versys and V-Strom.
Excellent post, iamahunter, it isn't often that we get to hear from someone who has ridden all 4 motorcycles and can give a fair comparison of them. How about a few pictures as well?

Last edited by Aditya : 25th December 2021 at 18:40. Reason: Quoted text edited
neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 09:28   #160
BHPian

One thing that I notice is both the power to weight ratio and torque to weight ratio is less on the CB500X compared to the Adventure 390. I would be happy to give 1 solid lakh more for better refinement, build quality and drivability and nothing more.

With this pricing, it only makes me think ‘KTM 390 Adv is a steal for its price’. Thank you KTM and Bajaj and RE for making accessible powerful motorcycles for Indians.

Last edited by Godzilla : 24th December 2021 at 09:31.
Godzilla is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 10:12   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
One thing that I notice is both the power to weight ratio and torque to weight ratio is less on the CB500X compared to the Adventure 390. I would be happy to give 1 solid lakh more for better refinement, build quality and drivability and nothing more.

With this pricing, it only makes me think ‘KTM 390 Adv is a steal for its price’. Thank you KTM and Bajaj and RE for making accessible powerful motorcycles for Indians.
Considering that the old 390s were sold to us at 2 lacs and essentially the same bike is now selling at close to 5(?), What you are actually telling them is thank you for not taking us for as big a ride as Honda is.

We are grateful that you are ripping us off, but at least you are not ripping us off as rudely as Honda is, and incrementally, to lessen the outrage, one price creep year at a time.

The less said about RE the better.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 24th December 2021 at 10:18.
ebonho is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 11:44   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Considering that the old 390s were sold to us at 2 lacs and essentially the same bike is now selling at close to 5(?), What you are actually telling them is thank you for not taking us for as big a ride as Honda is.

We are grateful that you are ripping us off, but at least you are not ripping us off as rudely as Honda is, and incrementally, to lessen the outrage, one price creep year at a time.

The less said about RE the better.

Cheers, Doc
Damn even the Activas and Apaches are sold almost twice the price compared to 2014? So, I guess the inflation also played a part here. I still think the 650 twins and 390s are VFM especially when you compare the cost they are sold outside of India.
Godzilla is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 11:59   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Damn even the Activas and Apaches are sold almost twice the price compared to 2014? So, I guess the inflation also played a part here. I still think the 650 twins and 390s are VFM especially when you compare the cost they are sold outside of India.
Bullets have been sold for decades outside India at much higher prices.

How is that of any solace to us earning in India and riding in India?

It's obvious what is happening.

RE and Bajaj are pretty shamelessly riding piggyback on the ridiculous pricing of the big Jap imports.

As I said, the customer is made to feel grateful that he is not being ripped off as bad.

The bottom line is you are now buying bikes at the price of a small car. Forget all the lifestyle jazz.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 24th December 2021 at 12:04.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2021, 16:57   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Update:

So as of now, from the perspective of someone who intends to do comfortable long distance touring, no offroad, the Versys seems to be the best bet.

Dude, your comparo would put a lot of automobile journos to shame.

Very succinct and focused.
While I have only ridden the V650 of these bikes (since I own 1), I agree with your points wrt to her.

Will be useful for others looking for a bike in this range
Naztone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 18:30   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Update:

After riding the Cb500x, I recently got a chance to ride the 390adv and V-Strom, thanks to fellow bhpians(Kailash and Mohan). And today we had a good long test ride of the Versys 650.

I am in the market for a mid variant ADV too, I loved the 390 ADV but it will be out of place in my riding group who ride the GS's, CB500X is priced out of the park for what it offers, the top-heavy Versys with the unexciting engine is a letdown, the V-Strom was perfect then Suzuki went and messed it up by pricing it where it is now. Now i am looking out for two options a pre worshipped V-Strom if I can find it at 6-7 lakhs or go for the new Tiger 660 if Triumph doesn't do a Honda and prices it less than 10 lakhs on road.

What I fear for the Tiger 660 is a new bike, untested for flaws, have no idea about spare cost or availability but loved the kit on offer and the luggage options too. V-Strom is bulletproof tech and has low maintenance costs. Awaiting eagerly.

Great analysis mate couldn't agree with you more on it.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th December 2021 at 18:41. Reason: Corrected: Vstorm - V-Strom
mh09ad5578 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks