Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2021, 13:13   #76
BHPian

Re: Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh

Since I haven't ridden the CB 500X, some of these points are probably hypothetical but here goes.

About the price

This cuts across automobiles in general with vehicles are getting increasingly expensive whether we like it or not. Take the Compass facelift, or the Seltos, or the Thar or pretty much any of the new launches. Take the humble Venue for instance. All the manufacturers have managed to set higher price points for segments so that's a pattern.

Let's take a look at the new Africa Twin, the new Tiger or the Multistrada. Very significant increases in price. Let's consider the BS6 VStrom 650XT. No change in the motorcycle but the price went up from Rs 9L to Rs 10.5L on road. Higher price points are happening whether we like it or not. This means that buyers will have to adjust to these new price points, we don't really have a choice.

So here's a hypothetical question. Would I have bought the BS6 VStrom at Rs. 10.5L instead of the Rs. 9L I paid for the BS4 in 2019? In a heartbeat. That's because the motorcycle suits my style perfectly and I intend to keep it for a very long time. If the CB500X suits a rider perfectly, then it's okay to pay the premium over the perceived 'value' price. After all, you want to get out there and ride rather than wait indefinitely for that perfect motorcycle at that perfect price.

As far as the KTM 390 Adv goes, it is a fantastic motorcycle in every way but it just doesn't work for me. I just don't like that engine, don't ask why. The bike is just too frantic for my style. It doesn't have the fit and finish that I would like. It's a futile exercise to look at every Adv bike from the perspective of the 390 Adv, whether it is the specification or the price. You shouldn't be buying a bike by looking at a spec sheet.

About the bike

I like bikes like the CB 500X or the Tenere 700 or the VStrom 650. Simple, reliable motorcycles with adequate power, great stock suspensions, nice tank range and enough capabilities off-road. I have two riding modes in my bike (rain and road) and I rarely use that. I have a non-adjustable front suspension which is perfectly adequate. I've adjusted the rear suspension once for pre-load. The old school meters are perfectly adequate. I've bent both my front and rear tubeless spoked rims so all that talk about spoked rims being "tougher" or more "off-road" sounds largely theoretical to a rider of my skill. Just give me tubeless tyres.

I understand that bigger bikes that make a lot more power need the more sophisticated tech but that comes with a tremendous increase in cost and possibly (and I say this with extreme caution) decreased reliability. We have a lot of fantastic options in that range. I'm just happy that we are getting nice, simple, accessible middleweight options as well. These are well suited to our harsh conditions. It's better to have an option to buy an overpriced CB500X rather than not have the bike at all. So if you have eyed the bike for a while, go out there and take a test drive. You might find that your perception of 'value' changes.

Now Yamaha, please launch the Tenere 700.

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 20th March 2021 at 13:15.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 18:35   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a first look at the 2021 CB500X by the Missenden Flyer. He usually is the voice of reason among Youtube enthusiasts. He provides sensible, real world feedback on bikes and refrains from going overboard with motorcycling hyperbole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
FYI - the 'disappointments' I mentioned above was from posts including your own initial impressions on the ADV390, along with your willingness to spend an added 25k to get wire spokes when those were announced. As you rightly mentioned above, trust worthy opinions do come from long-term experience.
I am astounded by your memory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
PS: The bike is sold out in North American markets.
They should probably export more from India, it is not like they are flying out of the showrooms over here
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 19:43   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

They should probably export more from India, it is not like they are flying out of the showrooms over here
I dont want to drag out this discussion.

But the 390 adventure has a 3 month waiting period at some places in Bangalore.

In terms of what i may have said last year when the bike was launched, i spoke with internet prejudice.

I would still not buy the spoke wheels for whatever price offered, because it does not meet my needs. And adjustable front suspension, well if they give it who am i to say no? But do i miss it - nope.

Honestly its a bike that works for me and a lot of other people.

Last edited by GTO : 26th March 2021 at 06:56. Reason: Last line not needed
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 22:07   #79
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, I'd gone to Test ride the VSTROM and it comes with spokes/tubeless tyres. I was surprised at this. 390 ADV should adopt this tech. You're right about the 3 month waiting period. Demand is high. BTW, I met a guy who has booked the first 500X in Bangalore, today. He will get delivery in three weeks
Quote:
But the 390 adventure has a 3 month waiting period at some places in Bangalore. I would still not buy the spoke wheels for whatever price offered
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 22:30   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly its a bike that works for me and a lot of other people.
The 390 ADV is an extremely capable bike. There is a YouTube channel - "Dream Chaser" who has done some serious trips on his bike without any major problems - Spiti, Ladakh, Gangotri, Arunachal among others. Watching his videos convinced me that it is one of the best suited ADVs for Indian conditions - light & powerful yet affordable. The other great thing is ownership is mostly hassle-free since spares are inexpensive and service centres are aplenty.

Paying 2x for something that doesn't even offer 20% more than what the KTM 390 ADV offers is insanity. Even Honda says it is only meant for light off-roading. For the average rider, there is no case whatsoever for the CB500X.

Last edited by GTO : 26th March 2021 at 06:56. Reason: Quoted post edited
siddhant is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 02:08   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I dont want to drag out this discussion.

But the 390 adventure has a 3 month waiting period at some places in Bangalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
You're right about the 3 month waiting period. Demand is high.
Demand isn't high - maybe production is low, or just an artificial waiting period to show a lot of demand!

Over the last twelve months - KTM just sold an average of just 557 units of the 390 range (Duke, RC and ADV combined - breakup not revealed). Considering even 50% of those sales being only 390 ADVs - that's just about 275 bikes per month for the last one year.

KTM has more than 500 outlets pan India - so that's just 1 bike per two dealerships in a month! Even Kawasaki and Suzuki dealers may be pushing more units per dealer from their dozen-odd dealer network.

What explains the 3 month waiting period then?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th March 2021 at 02:17.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 07:15   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe exports? Any idea how many bikes are being exported?
Old 24th March 2021, 07:18   #83
BHPian

Quote:

KTM has more than 500 outlets pan India - so that's just 1 bike per two dealerships in a month! Even Kawasaki and Suzuki dealers may be pushing more units per dealer from their dozen-odd dealer network.
KTM has more than 500 dealers. And Kawasaki and Suzuki dozen odd. Just quoting those numbers from you.

Then the per dealer sales of a particular model of motorcycle is a wrong Matrix to pick. The denominator is hugely different and just having less dealership itself will increase the Motorcycle-to-Dealer ratio.
Old 24th March 2021, 09:01   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Maybe exports? Any idea how many bikes are being exported?
Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh-screenshot_20210324085512_chrome.jpg
Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
Then the per dealer sales of a particular model of motorcycle is a wrong Matrix to pick.
Pick any matrix you would prefer - it is still low. Remember we are not talking of a CKD / CBU here - unlike the CB500X. 390 Adventure is barely selling in the Indian market, unlike what a 3 month waiting period would suggest. The waiting period is mostly artificial!

Here is what Rushlane had to say about KTM 390 sales in February 2021 -

Quote:
However, the most disappointing of them all was the 390 series which recorded sales of only 451 units in February this year despite it having the most number of offerings. KTM sells three models in this space- 390 Duke, RC 390 and 390 Adventure.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th March 2021 at 09:03.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 09:07   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Pick any matrix you would prefer - it is still low. Remember we are not talking of a CKD / CBU here - unlike the CB500X. 390 Adventure is barely selling in the Indian market, unlike what a 3 month waiting period would suggest. The waiting period is mostly artificial!
I am not disagreeing that KTM ADV 390 is a largely unsuccessful motorcycle. It is afterall just a duke on stilts and the low numbers speak for themselves. What I was disagreeing was the matrix Motorcycles-sold/ Dealers number.
Animesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 09:17   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The waiting period is mostly artificial!
I will agree to this to an extent

Last Saturday, I went to a showroom near my home, the large showroom was empty with just 2 Dukes & one bloke (ofcourse meddling with mobile). Asking about 390 Adv, he said, no showroom in Chennai has the bike & it's only available on booking. We smiled & walked away.

Called up another dealer 15 Km from my home, he enthusiastically said one's available for test ride despite stating I only want to see and if I make up my mind, I'll opt for test ride on later date. He was OK & shared the location through WhatsApp; after half hour or so while I was checking the route, he called & asked me to come immediately as the bike might be sent to another showroom for test ride.

I said I cannot make within his time frame & said I'll manage to find another one.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 12:50   #87
BHPian

Quote:
I think the supply chain disruptions caused by Covid-19 is to be partly blamed for this. A friend of mine and his brother had booked in Jan'21 and they got their bikes delivered during first week of March after switching bookings from a dealer to another dealer and then to another one who finally got them the bikes. The reason given was some component shortage in the Bosch supplied ABS unit.
rb2399 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2021, 16:21   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
I think the supply chain disruptions caused by Covid-19 is to be partly blamed for this. A friend of mine and his brother had booked in Jan'21 and they got their bikes delivered during first week of March after switching bookings from a dealer to another dealer and then to another one who finally got them the bikes. The reason given was some component shortage in the Bosch supplied ABS unit.
Don't think so it is the supply chain issue that is causing the waiting period for Adv390. BS6 versions of Dukes and RCs from 125 to 390 are all available. Most dealers even have Huskies in stock. But only Adv 390 and Adv250 have a waiting period. I guess it is more to do with them being manufactured in lesser numbers compared to other versions.
whencut86 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 12:04   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
Since I haven't ridden the CB 500X, some of these points are probably hypothetical but here goes.

About the price

This cuts across automobiles in general with vehicles are getting increasingly expensive whether we like it or not. Take the Compass facelift, or the Seltos, or the Thar or pretty much any of the new launches. Take the humble Venue for instance. All the manufacturers have managed to set higher price points for segments so that's a pattern.

About the bike

I like bikes like the CB 500X or the Tenere 700 or the VStrom 650. Simple, reliable motorcycles with adequate power, great stock suspensions, nice tank range and enough capabilities off-road.
I'm just happy that we are getting nice, simple, accessible middleweight options as well. These are well suited to our harsh conditions. It's better to have an option to buy an overpriced CB500X rather than not have the bike at all. So if you have eyed the bike for a while, go out there and take a test drive. You might find that your perception of 'value' changes.

Now Yamaha, please launch the Tenere 700.
Great points on the bike itself. Also true what you say on prices in general to a large extent. I guess the only difference is there will be inevitable comparisons to alternatives which are there in the market and offering better perceived value. Ultimately value itself is of course a highly subjective scale and I'm sure it'll find its takers even at this rich price point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Here is a first look at the 2021 CB500X by the Missenden Flyer. He usually is the voice of reason among Youtube enthusiasts. He provides sensible, real world feedback on bikes and refrains from going overboard with motorcycling hyperbole.
Thanks for sharing this Neil. I like Missenden Flyer's reviews as well although I wish he balanced more time on and off the bike. Sometimes I find his "while riding" reviews hard to catch on. I'm distracted between the video and the audio.

Balanced review indeed and between him and what Shumi said in his brief video following the launch - they're both an excellent summary of why this bike is truly wonderful and may still make sense for a lot of buyers, notwithstanding that they've disappointed loyalists with a really Honda "pound of flesh" price tag.
Old 25th March 2021, 13:45   #90
Senior - BHPian

Brothers in arms (Dire Straits anyone ) all the permutations, combinations, logic and comparisons of how one could buy how many bikes in the price range of one CB500X goes out of the window for a person who wants this one for what it is and has the cash to back up his beliefs. Reading about the bike and seeing many videos I believe what this bike offers (even at this price) is head and shoulders above other offerings in many ways. Quantifying quality, desire and love for a particular object and finding common ground which suits everyone is impossible, to each his or her own.

While we discuss the pricing to the death don’t you think Honda must have already thought of that? Seems they are happy with whatever sales they get at this price point. Case closed, buy it if the entire package appeals or buy whatever you like.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed