Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2021, 09:54   #106
Team-BHP Support

Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh

Had a quick see through some of the reviews. My sense is most of the big guys have actually summed it up pretty accurately and competently. It's pros and cons have been fairly laid out and the price has been universally criticised. ACI even categorically stated that they hope Honda considers a downward revision. I'm not sure what further expectations people had.

Then there are some of the fringe reviewers. Some of it was just shocking. The guy from GaadiWaadi was clueless - riding the bike sitting down throughout while on a trail and then pulling off the most ridiculous U turn while stuck in sand. Clearly they dont know the first thing about technical off roading. I'll be surprised if they even dropped the PSI while going into sand like that. These are mostly reviewers who's skills seem to be popping unskilled wheelies that some of these guys were trying to showboat. Woudn't take them seriously anyway

Last edited by Axe77 : 29th March 2021 at 10:16.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 11:06   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
Sorry, Neil, I can't buy into this. If we're gonna go by Honda's marketing junk, the first thing you see when you open the 500X's page is a picture of it parked over a rocky area beside a lake.

If that picture doesn't speak a thousand words about offroadability to you, here's a couple of quotes from the website that kind of contradict the image your quote evokes:
Fair enough. I didnt interpret the same image in the exact same way that you did but I do agree that your persepective does have a lot of merit.

Quote:
I mean we know how crazy some of those journo opinions in the past have been, like putting down the adv390 as barely an adventure bike and not much more than a duke. And yet, this 500X is somehow night and day different to them.
Im not singling you out here, but sharing a long standing observation of mine. I still think that the heat which the Indian media got for the Adv390 test rides is completely unwarranted. And from what I have seen, it is only on TBHP that I have seen the narrative of
- Indian media is crap, they dont know how to ride bikes offroad
- KTM didnt pay the journos enough
- Product is excellent, off road trails were perfect, how did these clowns from the media not see how awesome the bike is
- Indian media reviewed the Adv 390 first, hence they couldnt refer to international reviews for collateral

At least on the different biking groups that I am a part of, I havent heard any such feedback. As they say, the proof is in the pudding. And my test ride observations of the Adv 390 matched a lot of what the Indian media guys said

I think it is tremendously unfair to suggest that Honda doled out the big bucks to the Indian media to write positive reviews about the CB500X. Its a trusted and well proven motorcycle and to be honest, the Indian media guys didnt say a single thing that long time followers of the Honda didnt know about.

Anyways, the Honda CB500X has reached the Cochin dealership. I will definitely be signing up for a test ride and I will share my feedback on the same.
neil.jericho is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 17:36   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
That's some dangerous ground you're treading on, by suggesting kickbacks. Why cant you digest a 'pure riding machine'? And if Honda has decided to price it a certain way, then it is really their look out. Did you take a test ride? Pricing apart (We're not going to buy it, anyways), whats your feedback on the riding dynamics? How is the machine! Does it give you a sense of freedom! That's what I want to know (Please don't take it otherwise)
Dangerous for whom? Is that a threat or something?

I have no issues with the bike itself. I'm sure it's a nice bike (apart from the price), and if I'd been in the market for a bike in this class, a no-nonsense, low compression ratio, reliable, abusable, made-in-Japan bike with practical features is exactly what I'd want to buy.

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
As they say, the proof is in the pudding. And my test ride observations of the Adv 390 matched a lot of what the Indian media guys said
That Indian journos don't know how to evaluate adventure bikes is my personal opinion which I've backed up with reasons before. I don't mind if it gets ignored. But I personally wouldn't jump to the conclusion that just because many voices say the same thing, they must be right, especially when there's also opinions out there speaking the contrary.

Objectively, should I take the word of someone who's only done a brief test ride of the adv 390 and thinks it's not worth it's adv tag?

No offense, but I've done a test ride of the bike too and I could get along with it really well. Except I didn't ride it offroad and can't comment on it's adventure credentials without spending atleast a couple hours doing things that I usually do to see if it stands up to my kind of use.

Anyway, we're going off topic with this.

Quote:
I think it is tremendously unfair to suggest that Honda doled out the big bucks to the Indian media ... Indian media guys didnt say a single thing that long time followers of the Honda didnt know about.
It's not the things they said, it's the things that were left unsaid.

For example, there was a hue and cry about the adv390 not getting spoke wheels and adjustable suspension. Crickets chirping on this subject for the 500X, especially considering the mad pricing.

Sure they criticized the pricing on the bike and I appreciate that, but almost all of them, in the same breath, almost on cue, as if to justify the price, also start showing us the "silver lining in the cloud" by saying maintenance is cheaper compared to kawasaki.

I mean buying and owning the adv390 which is a clear and present rival in terms of capability for this bike is much, much cheaper, as precisely pointed out by RedLiner before. And the cheaper maintenance, as pointed out by CrAzY dRiVeR before, really can't justify the price.

You'd think this is an obvious point in a value conscious market like ours, right?

I think a couple of them even went out and said the Versys and the VStrom are heavier and more difficult to handle offroad, but conveniently left out the adv390 is lighter and easier to handle offroad.

But of course, they don't want to bite the hand that feeds them.

"Look, that Kawasaki which has a bigger engine, better suspension and costs just marginally more is costlier to maintain. Just buy Honda and be happy with the Power of Dreams!".

Do I need to go on?

Last edited by drt_rdr : 29th March 2021 at 17:40.
drt_rdr is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 06:30   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

One thing is for sure.

I will never trust YouTube reviews from anyone in India to buy anything, much less a motorcycle. I wish every Indian media or otherwise channel was summarily banned for false and hyped garbage.

If proof is in the pudding, eat it dont just stick a finger in. Talk to the actual owners who have done that or atleast hear them out.

CB500X is a great bike let down by absurd pricing and a lack of features compared to rivals.

Last edited by GTO : 31st March 2021 at 07:40. Reason: Let's not take indirect digs please - next time, infraction
Red Liner is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 06:50   #110
Senior - BHPian

Finally Pune gets a Big Wing dealership. I presume the 500x will be kept for display.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh-image.png  

rakesh_r is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 09:48   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

The CB500X seems to be getting people to walk into the local dealership and check it out. There were a number of enthusiasts from Cochin who had gone to the showroom yesterday to see the CB500X. There is still no word on the final pricing or official test rides.

Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh-whatsapp-image-20210329-13.25.01.jpeg
Shared via social media - All credits due to the photographer

I havent heard of this much excitement for the CB500X from friends in other cities so maybe it is isolated to the Kerala market.

Quote:
Anyway, we're going off topic with this.
Agree. Once test rides start and we all can ride both bikes, it will be fair to compare them side by side. Also, a new adventure bike specific thread would be helpful for all of us to share our perspectives, now that we have so many options in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
If proof is in the pudding, eat it dont just stick a finger in. Talk to the actual owners who have done that or atleast hear them out.
I know a biker or two, but unfortunately none of them have bought the KTM Adv 390. Quite a few of them did test ride the Adv 390 but everyone of them felt disappointed after riding the bike.

Anyways, I do keep track of the Adv 390 threads and ownership feedback here and on international forums like Adv Rider
neil.jericho is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 10:44   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
maybe it is isolated to the Kerala market
Yes, KL is an isolated market. Any bike, any car whichever is launched in India in any city, whether Ernakulam has a showroom or not, there WILL BE a KL-7 registration on that new model for sure. Yes, it's that isolated...or unique city

Quote:
Quite a few of them did test ride the Adv 390 but everyone of them felt disappointed after riding the bike
I was very interested as well, but on seeing the CR of over 12, that has put me off because the heat will certainly kill that engine in long terms; not everyone makes unique engine like Ducati

Add to that, I've been pondering over your point on PRACTICALITY of owning a CB500X vs Tiger & beginning to think, it makes more sense to own a CB500X (hopefully non consumables will also be made available sooner) though both of them are different segment, that is, considering India.
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 15:06   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I know a biker or two, but unfortunately none of them have bought the KTM Adv 390. Quite a few of them did test ride the Adv 390 but everyone of them felt disappointed after riding the bike.

Anyways, I do keep track of the Adv 390 threads and ownership feedback here and on international forums like Adv Rider
Bikes are a very personal choice as evidenced by the market. What works for one will probably not work for another. This is why many bikes, many models, many price ranges, many engine capacities and many manufacturers continue to exist and have a successful business. Hence your social circle might not be a true representation of someone else's in so far as motorcycle choice and purchase is considered, and is definitely not a representative of India or the global market.

Secondly, following ownership threads in different forums is still an intellectual exercise. If someone intends to write an opinion on anything, the reader expects the writer to have spent sufficient time (weeks or months together) to be able to form a justifiably objective viewpoint on the whole thing. Even TeamBHP deputes multiple people for more than a few days to review cars. That is why we trust TeamBHP.

Motorcycles seem to be a far more personal affair as opposed to cars. Hence even a week spent with a bike is not enough to get an absolute perspective on it.

Whether it be this Honda or the 390 adventure or any other bike for that matter, i urge opinionators to rent the motorcycle, set it up fully for their long term usage and head off on a 3 week trip across varied terrain and road conditions. That then gives you the innate understanding and foresight to write a good "initial review" of the bike. And readers here and elsewhere will find that far more useful as opposed to the usual media drill we get on YouTube from all and sundry. That is why, beyond a sub segment of young wannabe instagrammers no other serious motorcyclist even considers any of them as part of his research arsenal for buying, riding, or maintaining his motorcycle. They are here on TeamBHP for those very reasons. Lets make sure our opinions are backed up by intense and rigorous understanding, just like the TeamBHP car reviews.

I hope this is considered in good faith.
Red Liner is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st March 2021, 20:37   #114
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Some interesting discussions going on here.

I have never owned a Honda product, so CB500X was not really on my radar until a couple of months back when the bike was announced in India. Anything adventure related catches attention these-days, so a bit of digging on the net and this seemed like an interesting proposition.

Coming from riding a versys 650 (a bike i could never really connect to) i downgraded to a 310GS, a bike that suited my requirements well. The CB500x seemed like a bike positioned exactly between the 310gs and the versys. More power, refinement and torque spread widely over the rpm band compared to the 310 and slimmer, agile, less weight compared the the versys. It seemed like a bike to replace the 310 and the interceptor in the garage, and still not miss either of them greatly. Perfect for my current needs and a good compliment to the xpulse in the garage.

But the Pricing killed all the mental plans and short-lived day dreams of the owning the bike. At 8.5L OTR Bangalore, and add another 50K of very basic protection accessories, it just does not make sense for however good product it is. I would have stretched till around 7L OTR. Hope Honda realizes their blunder and revise the price.
nasirkaka is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 20:44   #115
Senior - BHPian

Came across this & sharing, no judging

aargee is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 11:12   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
It seemed like a bike to replace the 310 and the interceptor in the garage, and still not miss either of them greatly. Perfect for my current needs and a good compliment to the xpulse in the garage.

Exactly my thoughts when I had some good time riding with the bike. Forget the price tag and she is very much a capable machine. No regrets if one decides to buy this. The only suspect thought that I have in mind was on sustained highway riding two up.

My Suzuki V Strom does it in great comfort but not sure how the 500x fits in there.

My two cents in this video which made up Sunday both on and off the road.

ku69rd is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 10:11   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Exactly my thoughts when I had some good time riding with the bike. Forget the price tag and she is very much a capable machine. No regrets if one decides to buy this. The only suspect thought that I have in mind was on sustained highway riding two up.
Thanks for sharing this review. I really enjoyed hearing the perspective of such a capable bike from experienced motorcyclists.

Most of the non journalistic Indian Youtube "reviews" are by Johnny Come Latelys, who cram in all the key words before putting on their helmets and revving these bikes to the moon. This review was exactly the opposite of the typical all fluff no stuff Indian Vlogger content.

Hearing the detailed take on this wonderful bike, further reinforces my belief that we will have quite a few TBHPians buying this bike through the pre-owned route in due course of time or once Honda corrects the pricing (whichever comes first).
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 16:40   #118
BHPian

I was at the Honda Bigwing in Lavelle Road the other day to checkout the new Blade and the 650's and gave a shot at the 500X. The bike is magnificent to say the least. I was pleasantly surprised on how nimble and what a sweet package the bike was. My first thought with the pricing and the figures on paper was - What more does it offer over the 390 adv at this kind of price point? In-fact it offers way less on paper. One test ride was enough to convince the perfectionist in me that the features you need on these kind of motorcycle aren't a quick-shifter or traction control when the bike itself is under 50 horses. Anyway, I am not comparing a single to a twin because that never made any sense to me(just in my books).

* Intentionally leaving the very capable Versys 650 from the discussion because I believe its due for an update. I cant look at its console which is the same from the 2012 Ninja 650. That meter is 10 years old in a few months. Common Kawasaki, its time for a proper update.

Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh-img9637.jpg

Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh-img9638.jpg

I hopped on to the 500X from an Africa twin and the immediate feel was that - I was back 'home'. Again, this bike wont be able to do extreme off-roading and I believe that's not what it is supposed to do. If you are a road tourer and you have to do a 1000km ride in a single day in stock form for the next 5 days, this is it. Such beautiful characteristics, very easy to put both your legs down on the ground(I am 5,10), flick it like an R15, superb brakes and lovely fit and finish. The meter(picked up straight from the 650's) has been very decently laid out and the riders triangle is built for touring. You pillion too wont mind much on this one.

In short, provided you have the money and you are the one who does long distances on road and you also prefer cheaper service costs and longer service intervals and a sweet sweet motor, get the 500X.
For everything else, there is the V-Strom(If you don't mind the 4k service interval that is).
Xaos636 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 20:17   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
For everything else, there is the V-Strom(If you don't mind the 4k service interval that is).
My two cents

If you need one bike where you want to do it all for you then the CB 500X it is. Decent Highway speeds of 120 all day long, you can take it off roading mildly, plus your mountain calling urges. Sustained cruising for long hours can be a strain.

If you are looking for more comfort then it is the V Strom. The Suzuki is bigger, more powerful making your ride more comfortable. Their service intervals have been revised to 6K from the earlier 4K.

Quote:
Hearing the detailed take on this wonderful bike, further reinforces my belief that we will have quite a few TBHPians buying this bike through the pre-owned route in due course of time or once Honda corrects the pricing (whichever comes first).
Hey Neil,
Thank you very much for your comments, would not have been possible without your constant feedback n motivation to push better.

On the bike, this will be a very good bike for people who want to upgrade from the Himalayan/dominar/KTM singles and for mature riders (you can read that 50+ age group) who know what they want.
ku69rd is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 10:41   #120
BHPian

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks