Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2021, 13:54   #31
BHPian

Re: Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh

It is already dead on arrival. For me it looks like an ADV version of the XBlade.
Silver Knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 14:12   #32
Senior - BHPian

Boss, your points are absolutely realistic & practical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
The Himalayan doesnt get enough power. Neither does the GS310. The Adv390 may not be reliable enough for many. The Versys 650's service and spares will be a lot more expensive than the Honda
How I perceive is, CB500X is a product that's closer to KTM, Himalayan & G310S in terms of power while closer to V650 in terms of cost. Which is why I or probably many can't accept the atrocious pricing (like G310S) while making KTMs & Kawis a sweet deal.

Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh-capture.jpg

Quote:
there are many riders who own big bikes and have been waiting to downgrade (capacity / power wise) to something more sensible like the CB500X (or bikes like it)
And if I may, please ask to share if it ain't a secret please & if it's not one of the below:
  • Maintenance?
  • Practical ownership?
  • Age & Weight?
  • After being senile with speeds, it's time to become sensible?
aargee is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 15:31   #33
BHPian

Been waiting for this bike - with the overpricing they have launched it - Honda is playing such a spoilt sport !! Yes, Pricing matters in India. For another 50K someone can afford V-Storm 650 or a versys 650 at same price, I mean, what is HONDA thinking !!

Wait goes on - Hopefully, KTM will price its yet to be launched 490ADV at right price :-)
virgovencat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 15:42   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
How I perceive is, CB500X is a product that's closer to KTM, Himalayan & G310S in terms of power while closer to V650 in terms of cost. Which is why I or probably many can't accept the atrocious pricing (like G310S) while making KTMs & Kawis a sweet deal.
Quote:
And if I may, please ask to share if it ain't a secret please & if it's not one of the below:
  • Maintenance?
  • Practical ownership?
  • Age & Weight?
  • After being senile with speeds, it's time to become sensible?
Let me list some of my thoughts and opinions, to help explain where I am coming from. I apologise for not directly answering your questions because I feel a multi dimensional response will serve the discussion better.

- I think the CB500X will be appreciated more by motorcyclists who have already bought a big bike and have lived with it for a few years. The truth is, there is no way that you can fully enjoy a big bike in Indian road conditions. Yes, you can take it to the track but honestly, how often will you be able to do so?

For discussions sake, lets take everything above the Z650 as a big bike. A litre class bike gets you to over 100 kmph in first gear, imagine what trouble it can get you into when you really start pushing these big bikes. Even with middleweight motorcycles, it is tough to go beyond 40% of a bikes capabilities, that too on highway rides. So there might come a point where you start asking yourself, why do you have a 100 HP motorcycle if you cant really use it? Of course, these arent logical purchases, but for a middle class guy living the big bike dream, these are unavoidable thoughts.

So you wonder, can I get something that is more suited to my riding while not compromising too much on the big bike experience?

- I recently rode from Cochin to Trivandrum on my Triumph Street Triple 675 and then returned on a first gen KTM Duke 390. I took the MC road which is nice and winding, Im sure you have also driven through it. I probably enjoyed the experience with the KTM Duke 390 more than the Triumph since I could enjoy more of the bike. Ive said it before, and I still strongly feel that an A2 level motorcycle is perfect for Indian road conditions.

- Cost of ownership for Hondas big bikes is really low. The difference is not going to be felt all that much during services. But if you have an accident, then the disparity in the pricing starts showing. Guess how much a pair of alloys for the Honda CBR650R cost? Rs 21,000. Guess how much it costs for the competition from Triumph and Kawasaki? Youre looking at a number close to Rs 1,00,000.

- Consistent service quality for big bikes is a massive problem in India. Anyone can buy any big bike if they have the cash. But however big your bank balance, there is nothing you can do to ensure consistent high quality service for your brand new motorcycle, if the dealership has employed trainees in their SVC who dont know the basics. Look at the horror stories from Kawasaki, BMW and Triumph that we have seen on this forum. And that is just the tip of the iceberg. It is rare to find complaints about Hondas though. Yes, there is the odd negative experience but it is very rare.

- I think more than rider profile, it is the riders garage and riding experience that will decide whether the CB500X appeals to him or not. If someone wants to hit 175 kmph on every Sunday ride, then the CB500X is not the bike. If you want a multi cylinder motorcycle and want to only ride with others who own big bikes, the CB500X is not your bike. If you have a youtube channel and want likes and subscriptions, the CB500X is not your bike. If you are buying your first big bike, the CB500X is probably not going to be the bike you want, though it might be the bike you need.

But if you have been there, done that, and want something sensible, then the CB500X is likely to be the answer. If you want a bike to commute to work, go for breakfast rides on the weekend, and do a two week trip every 9 months, while giving you good mileage and being relatively affordable to service, then the CB500X is likely to be the answer.

- I havent ridden the CB500X but Ive been following the product for years. I would sum up the bike as an everyday superhero that is probably more Clark Kent than Superman.

- Your sheet is right on point. But Ill explain with an example. Imagine you like to take your family out to have ice cream once a month and have been doing so for 5 years. Tomorrow if Baskin Robbins launches a new flavour that is very highly priced at Rs 250 a scoop, most normal buyers will say, Arre, what nonsense is this, I can buy 3 scoops of Amul ice cream for Rs 240. And they will continue to enjoy the Amuls, Cold Stones and Quality Walls ice creams available in Madras. But having tasted all the options, you and your family will know that you will enjoy the new Baskin Robbins ice cream at that price as much as your neighbours will enjoy Amul ice cream at one third the price.

But if you are taking your family out for ice cream for the first time, the new flavour from Baskin Robbins may not make sense and you might want to go with a more popular choice from a gelato place instead.

When it comes to things that make us happy, sometimes, there is more to it than just numbers. Im happy to hear your thoughts on the same topic.
neil.jericho is offline   (66) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 17:25   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Let me list some of my thoughts and opinions, to help explain where I am coming from. I apologise for not directly answering your questions because I feel a multi dimensional response will serve the discussion better.
Neil. This is just so brilliantly articulated. As someone who's owned a 765 S followed by a Tiger I completely understand where you're coming from.

Sometimes, some products can't be judged by the numbers alone but how they come together on all aspects of delivering the riding experience. Between your post above and Shumi's brief Powerdrift video summary posted a few posts earlier, I think it brilliantly sums up who the Honda 500 may suit. Undoubtedly, its overpriced by maybe a lakh or little more. Will it nevertheless have its takers - yes. There are those who'll swallow the premium just as many plonk their money on the overpriced Camry just for the attributes it has.

This bike will need a customer base of riders who know exactly what they want and have been there done that, whether with smaller or larger capacity bikes.

Quote:
Ive said it before, and I still strongly feel that an A2 level motorcycle is perfect for Indian road conditions.
Off topic but one of the reasons I feel the Triumph Trident will actually do really well. A perfect visual blend of the best of Street Twin / Street Triple with adequate power to make the most of our conditions. It is also refreshing to feel like you're pushing some of these bikes when they're at 100 / 120 instead of feeling on a litre class where you don't feel like the bike has even woken up and you're already at hairy speeds.
Axe77 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 19:36   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
In India, the CB500X competes with the Kawasaki Versys 650, Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT and Benelli TRK 502.
Is this comparison based on pricing of each model in today market?

Quote:
I recently rode from Cochin to Trivandrum on my Triumph Street Triple 675 and then returned on a first gen KTM Duke 390.
2 questions, 1. What is the purpose you purchased Street Triple? 2. Why did you return in KTM, is there a story I'm missing here?
ManneAtWheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 21:15   #37
Senior - BHPian

Most your points are words of wisdom which I share beyond a question

Quote:
When it comes to things that make us happy, sometimes, there is more to it than just numbers
Absolutely
Quote:
Im happy to hear your thoughts on the same topic.
No sir, I'm good; each have their own point of view. Some of them look value in what they buy, some look quality, some look for style, some look for class, I'm a person who look for value & from that POV, I don't see CB500X offers absolutely no value at all. The only credit I can take is, all parts are Made in Japan & for that, yes, this price is awesome. Spares is something I'm not going to comment for now as it should be imported from Japan or worst case they should be made in India later & then I start asking myself, if the high initial cost is justified?

I agree with you in terms of 675, MC Road + speed limiter, while 675 & NH4/NH5 are perfectly fine. Again, for some experienced adventurous (not reckless or irresponsible) minds, Charmadi & Shiradi will be fun with 675, while some cautious experienced minds might find solace even with Ninja 300 on NICE road

Edit - And yes, with crazy rising fuel cost, it simply does not make sense to buy a non fuel efficient vehicle (read big motor) these days

Last edited by aargee : 16th March 2021 at 21:30.
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 22:34   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Atrocious pricing. This bike is an end of life product everywhere around the world and honda is just dumping them here with a big honda tax.

The 390 adventure on paper kills this bike. Heck, i know people who have sold their 500x and gotten the 390 adventure because the 500x is a pig with 200kg carcass.

For the price of one 500x, i can get two 390 adventures over 8 years. Think about that.
Red Liner is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 23:00   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

The 390 adventure on paper kills this bike. Heck, i know people who have sold their 500x and gotten the 390 adventure because the 500x is a pig with 200kg carcass.
Aren't you contradicting yourself with your below post? I thought you admired 500X.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...ml#post5008328
Kashi053 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 00:19   #40
BHPian

Quote:

- I havent ridden the CB500X but Ive been following the product for years. I would sum up the bike as an everyday superhero that is probably more Clark Kent than Superman.
I'm just a passer-by on this thread, no way in dreams I would be able to afford a 3L motorcycle, let alone an 8L motorcycle right now.

But this is one of the most satisfying replies I've read on this forum, almost to the point of making me want to buy the CB500X.

Brilliantly put Sir, Honda should take note and using this passage of write up for their sales pitch, with due credits.
ManasN95 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 00:37   #41
BHPian

Quote:
The only credit I can take is, all parts are Made in Japan & for that, yes, this price is awesome.
I am not sure if all the parts are made in Japan. As far as I know the Honda 500cc models are made in Thailand
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_500_twins

I have had a NC700X for 7+ years now. It is efficient, rides great, and is reliable. I paid $7k OTD. I would not pay a dime more, and certainly not twice the cost of KTM 390 ADV which is also priced at ~7k OTD in my city. When I ride at a stones throw away from civilization, I could easily plan for any failures by stocking spares, and planning on expenditure for repairs.

With all the other bikes with similar capabilities costing so much lesser, the 500x price makes no sense.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 00:59   #42
BHPian

I Waited couple of days before I made up my mind to call the dealership today and ask them what they were smoking with regards to the pricing, told them to add me to potential buyers list by the end of the year when all this CKD bikes will be given on discount due to no sales just like it happened with the BMW G310R etc

HMSCI is totally taking indian buyers on a Ride.

Last edited by muneemmk : 17th March 2021 at 01:00.
muneemmk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 02:03   #43
Team-BHP Support

Honda service being cheaper is an argument that is beaten to death on many threads. It's like buying a diesel car vs a petrol car - sure every refill is cheaper and that feels nice, but many never even recover the premium Honda demands upfront!

Let us assume -

1. Honda service is 6k cheaper per service.
2. Honda accident replacement spares are cheaper by 50k per accident. (Insurance pays a majority of this amount, for most cases - so not sure why are we worried. But anyway!)

Now how many accidents and services would help one break even? Considering US pricing, the bike is priced at a premium of around 1.8 lakhs - so around 10 services and two accidents, considering 6k per service saved and 50k per accident saved? Need a third crash if you consider breaking even the variation in on-road price due to this!

Agree that it could be a lovely motorcycle - but Honda surely is milking the customers when it is priced like this only in India. No amount of cheaper spares are going to compensate for this pricing!

Would even one person had bought this bike if it was priced at 5L ex-showroom as in other markets, but with a mandatory 1.87L + taxes package for ensuring cheap service and spares?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 02:46   #44
BHPian

This is the worst pricing ever seen by Honda. No doubt they have a knack of charging premium, but pricing even more higher than a Versys 650 is atrocious to the core.

This bike is dead on arrival. Thanks Honda for letting me know that I have to look at Versys again.
kailashnj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 04:55   #45
BHPian

I have had the bike for coming unto 6 months now in NZ. I wasn't able to buy anything "bigger" due to the motor licensing rules.
I have ridden it mainly for commuting and Sunday rides with mild off-roading a couple of times.
Its a good bike and i can probably keep it for the next few years.
But do i love it?? maybe no
Its just not bikey enough. Being a Honda its got the engine to take you to Mars and back probably, but if you are going that far you need to go in some style not in a carriage.
The pricing of most Honda products is strange as well.The KTM is a bit of a hooligan but does bring a huge smile to your face.The Honda brings a strange sort of smugness in the fact that i will take you from A to B but dont expect it to be any "fun".
tomtom is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks