Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2021, 23:41   #136
BHPian

Re: Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
That's a heinous figure. No wonder, I haven't seen any on the roads of Pune despite nearing half-a-year after it was launched. Did they allude to any oncoming festive discounts in Ganpati or Dussehra?

-BJ
Yes it truly is a atrociously high figure. No discounts were offered or even hinted.

Infact the sales advisor said that the showroom orders bikes every month. Given the price, I seriously worry about the number of CB500x they sell every month.
Currently the Big Wind dealerships are happy selling the Hness, quite a lot of footfall for that bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I'm quite surprised the bike has vibrations. All reviews had pointed to a smooth vibe-free engine
Yes. It was smooth to a point. But then there were few. No, not like any of the single cylinder REs out there(no offence) but there was noticeable buzz.

I personally do not like that buzzing, especially at the cruising speeds. After a while my hand goes numb. They might be felt less wearing a riding glove, but would have liked if the buzz came later in the rev range, or would not be there at all.

However, I still doubt if its due to new bike (it was 900 kms old bike) or was the engine not up to temperature.
That's why I mentioned that a longer ride would make it even clear.

Something that I missed in my earlier post:
Instrumental Cluster
How it is? What it is? or what all information does it show? Can be found in the reviews on youtube.
What I want to say is, while riding, I hardly looked at it. I had to really look down for it. Which in my opinion is fair as it causes a less distraction while riding.
Also, the windscreen provided enough wind protection and it was quite nice to be behind it while I was riding in mild drizzle.

Last edited by iamahunter : 22nd July 2021 at 23:49.
iamahunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 18:36   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Next would be to have a ride on the Versys 650, Benelli TRK 500 and the KTM 390 adv.
I can relate to what you said about the buzz and if that is a major criteria, doubt the KTM will be to your liking. I feel it in my 390 adv, especially on longish rides. Its never nice to arrive with slightly numb hands.

Don't get me wrong. I love the 390 adv and would recommend it to anyone looking for a do-it-all motorcycle, but I doubt it can match the refinement levels of a Honda. Caveat, I haven't had a chance to ride the CB500X yet. Do let us know once you test drive the KTM. Curious to know how it compares to the CB500X.
a_chelat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 16:45   #138
BHPian

I got a chance to test ride the 500x today morning on both good roads and bad ones. A big shoutout to Honda Big Wing over here in Chennai. I just inquired over call and I said that it will be good if they could bring the motorcycle to my place as I'd like to check that out on my known roads (for comparison). They immediately obliged. Gave me all the information - brochure, pricing, pricing break up and what not. Many of the other dealers, including premium motorcycle dealers, have a thing or two to learn from these guys. Maybe, all Honda dealers are like this?

They brought the 500x right on time - didn't make me wait. Called 20 minutes before they started from the showroom in Adyar (LB Road) and reached my place on time. Again, well done!

Now, to the test ride impressions:
  • Looks big and got some good road presence
  • Muted sound - sounded similar to my Unicorn with the amplitude turned up a notch
  • Didn't feel (and sound) like a twin
  • Throttle response was good
  • Intrumentation display was hard to read - either they should give clear good old analog dials or just give the TFT for the asking price. Taking the middle ground feels cheap - certain numbers were hard to read/understand. I sincerely believe that Honda didn't want their riders to even look at the display (maybe they themselves were ashamed). If they're going to give us this negative display thing, at least make it bigger and bolder. The display control buttons were on the display. Again, cumbersome to reach and cycle through the numbers.
  • Gear shifts were clunky - immediately related this to Unicorn which was butter smooth
  • Between the 2nd and 3rd gear the acceleration was a bit jerky - maybe because it was a brand new one (just about 200kms on the odo)
  • On rough roads the ride was smooth
  • On potholes, the front suspension rebound was a bit hard - felt very unsophisticated
  • There were vibrations though not bothersome - If I had closed my eyes (I didn't) I'd have believed that to be a Unicorn that's ridden at 100kmph
  • Decent fit and finish - 390 Adventure was better
  • Funky horn placement for that roadrunner sound - don't even bother using it as you won't see the intended reaction on the road. Good way to cut down noise pollution, really!
  • The indicator buttons felt downright cheap - my old Continental GT 535's has a brilliant feel!
  • This is purely based on my eyesight - I wear glasses and the visor was kinda playing with my vision, enough to give me a headache. Maybe, I'll get used to this as I've never ridden any with a visor
One big plus - My wife was impressed with the pillion ride comfort! The rear suspension, to me, felt too soft with a pillion and I'd definitely tighten it up by a couple of notches.

Overall, the 500X didn't tug my heart, nor my brain - for 8 lacs on road, I kept thinking all through the test ride - 'what am I getting for this price?' Maybe, Honda's peace of mind, low cost service/TCO.

I was quite positive that when I asked for the test ride, I'll find a lot of things to justify the asking price and I was prepared to book the 500X. I'd rather buy the ADV 390 and be content with its shortcomings than pay more than double and live with the over glorified Honda badge. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings here, but Honda doesn't seem to care about our market and prospective ones like us. If only they had given a brilliant TFT display, USD forks with good damping, a sweet sounding exhaust tuning, traction control, navigation, better feeling switch gear and other bits - I'd have said 'Honda, take my money!"

I think, people getting a Himalayan or the ADV 390 are getting excellent value for money in this segment.

Also, imagine this: After buying this 'current' 500X, what if Honda slashes prices by a lakh for the the upcoming refresh with Showa 41mm SFF-BP USD forks and other minor changes? Heartburn!
gigatech2006 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 17:26   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatech2006 View Post
[*]Gear shifts were clunky - immediately related this to Unicorn which was butter smooth[*]There were vibrations though not bothersome - If I had closed my eyes (I didn't) I'd have believed that to be a Unicorn that's ridden at 100kmph[*]Decent fit and finish - 390 Adventure was better[*]The indicator buttons felt downright cheap - my old Continental GT 535's has a brilliant feel!
Ouch !!
Those references to Unicorn (amazing bike btw), A390 and GR 535 will hurt the 500X lovers.

If what you experiences is really the general case and is not linked to that specific bike, then I agree with you. There is nothing substantial we are getting at such high price.

I hope Honda wakes up and gives this machine a due refresh (in both price and equipment) !!
Old 14th September 2021, 09:31   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigatech2006 View Post
Also, imagine this: After buying this 'current' 500X, what if Honda slashes prices by a lakh for the the upcoming refresh with Showa 41mm SFF-BP USD forks and other minor changes? Heartburn!
Honda being Honda, I would bet on them increasing the price of the CB500X, by Rs 50K to a lakh, considering everything new that you are getting on the updated / refreshed bike.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 10:46   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
Did anyone here take the plunge and bought the CB500X?
I did, got the Grand Prix Red one. First service due next week.

Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh-mvimg_20210917_201913.jpg
dkar228 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 18:59   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

While waiting for the test ride bike of the CB650R to be wheeled out, I had a quick look at the test ride bike of the CB500X. Unfortunately, the rear tire is completely worn out, so I didnt take a test ride of the CB500X. As things turned out, the test ride of the CB650R didnt pan out as well. But the helpful showroom folks have promised to arrange one for me in the next couple of days.

Here are some initial observations on the CB500X.
- The bike has presence. Say what you will about the bike being underpowered and too expensive, but in person, the bike does have a good presence.
- The seating position is nice and comfortable.
- Everything looks and feels functional. This bike has been engineered with a purpose.
- The only thing that I didnt like is that the lockset is directly behind the handlebar, when you are seated. It isnt very ergonomically placed. Maybe Im nitpicking.
- The quality of the switch gear felt fine. Again, functional rather than premium.
- The windscreen seems quite tall.
- Honda's insistence to switch the horn and indicators remains baffling to me.
- The front brake lever is adjustable while the clutch isnt. I cant get over how soft the clutch action is. Definitely the softest clutch action on any big bike that I have sat on or ridden.
- The suspension feels soft. How well it manages Indian conditions, is something that I am keen to find out.
- Side by side with my Street Triple 675, the CB500X didnt look out of place. Visually, it can hold its own against most middleweights.

Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh-20211013_152355.jpg
View from the helmet. Notice the position of the lockset.

Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh-20211013_152342.jpg
Mirrors arent stylish but they are effective.

Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh-20211013_152335.jpg
Why not just give us the horn and indicators in the right position, Honda?

Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh-20211013_152829.jpg
The headlight has a lot of design elements to it, but it doesnt add to the visual mass of the bike.

Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh-20211013_152902.jpg
Super light!

Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh-20211013_152852.jpg
5 step adjustable lever.

Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh-20211013_152556.jpg
Side by side with a naked hooligan.

Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh-20211013_152459.jpg
A non biker would think that the CB500X looks to be as powerful as my Street Triple 675.
neil.jericho is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 19:23   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Say what you will about the bike being underpowered and too expensive, but in person, the bike does have a good presence
Boss, except for the price, there's nothing to complain on the motorcycle. Anything over 5L for this bike is priced atrociously extortionate; period! Rest of the factors are all more than worthy.

And again, it's not about affordability, it's about the value that we get in return for what we're paying; the competition just gets better & better without them having to anything

May be HMSI wants low volume on sales but higher margins on every CB500X sold.
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 08:08   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Visually, it can hold its own against most middleweights.
Easily.
I won't call it under powered. Its close to 50 horses and a parallel twin which should make it an effortless ride. Combine this with a fuel tank that can take close to 18 liters of gas and you're looking at good range between refills. Atleast 500km at the minimum.

The dials are also comprehensive.

For the asking price, this bike should do well.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 04:22   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Why not just give us the horn and indicators in the right position, Honda?
What is the right place though? I had a Honda CBR, a VFR, and a NC700 all of them have had the indicator below the horn. That just seems right to me. When I swing my thumb from holding the handlebar, the first thing I reach is the indicator, and that is the switch that gets most use.

Isn't this how it is on the smaller Honda scooters and bikes, Active, Unicorn and such?
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 08:12   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
What is the right place though? I had a Honda CBR, a VFR, and a NC700 all of them have had the indicator below the horn. That just seems right to me. When I swing my thumb from holding the handlebar, the first thing I reach is the indicator, and that is the switch that gets most use.

Isn't this how it is on the smaller Honda scooters and bikes, Active, Unicorn and such?
I guess its a question of getting used to. In India I guess, most are the other way - the horn is below the indicator. My Bonnie and my Suzuki Access has the horn below the indicators. Checked images of Activa and Unicorn, they too have the horn below.
Also, I feel, in India, the horn is used more than the indicators
dinu2506 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 07:13   #147
BHPian

It is a matter of getting used to the location. But in my opinion, it is not ideal, my Highness and the Versys have it in different locations, I will definitely be struggling if there is some kind of a panic stop
jaganm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 17:52   #148
Senior - BHPian

I took a small test ride of the CB500X today. My first impression after sitting on top was, this is a grown up Unicorn. The rounded tank and the low set narrow handlebars don't help much in the appearance or the feel section. I ride a BMW 310 GS, and it clearly feels a bigger bike than this one. This one felt bit lighter too. Coming from other bikes, this may feel bigger, but coming from GS, it feels one or half size small in size. Even the suspension is better on the GS. Even while moving the bike, you will see GS prance up and down. No such thing here, the suspension appears bit hard. But I didn't get a chance to test it though.

The weird indicator stalk position confused me from time to time. But I am sure owners will get used to this soon. I feel horn at the lowest position is the perfect position, as even in panic, your finger will find the horn perfectly.

The ride was nice, bit vibey around the tank and the handlebar ends. The windscreen is well mounted, there was absolutely no vibration on it. Price was 8.11L on road Pune - horrible to say the least.

Last edited by ani_meher : 18th October 2021 at 17:56.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 13:29   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I took a small test ride of the CB500X today. I ride a BMW 310 GS, and it clearly feels a bigger bike than this one. This one felt bit lighter too. Coming from other bikes, this may feel bigger, but coming from GS, it feels one or half size small in size.
Was this 'size smaller' feeling due to narrower handlebars?

Quote:
Even the suspension is better on the GS. Even while moving the bike, you will see GS prance up and down. No such thing here, the suspension appears bit hard.
Just want to understand your perspective. In my opinion, soft suspension is preferred in potholed/uneven roads(city/country) for a better cushioned ride whereas hard suspension is better on twisty roads such that bike gives a planted feel while undergoing rapid direction changes.

Quote:
Even while moving the bike, you will see GS prance up and down.
Is this even after setting/correcting rear suspension sag for specific rider weight?
Old 19th October 2021, 13:56   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Was this 'size smaller' feeling due to narrower handlebars?

Just want to understand your perspective. In my opinion, soft suspension is preferred in potholed/uneven roads(city/country) for a better cushioned ride whereas hard suspension is better on twisty roads such that bike gives a planted feel while undergoing rapid direction changes.

Is this even after setting/correcting rear suspension sag for specific rider weight?
Size felt small because of narrow handlebars, as well as rounded and lower placed tank. The GS tank is bit tall. So the feeling of sitting in the bike is more in GS than CB500X.

Your point about suspension is correct. I prefer a softer suspension, because my previous bike Ninja 300 had it close to zero! In fact, I used to joke that I - the rider- is the suspension on Ninja 300. So the cushion-y suspension of GS was a very welcome change. In front of that, CB500X didn't particularly strike as having a soft suspension. I haven't adjusted the sag for rider weight yet.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed