Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2021, 09:50   #16
BHPian

Re: My Honda Activa got stolen in front of my house

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
If you go directly to the station you get weird responses ranging from, "Sir go search at all railway station and bus station parking .." (I always thought that was the role of the police) to "Wait for next month sir the bike might turn up, this month crime rate is already high and commissioner will shout at us".
You're right, they did tell the same thing to us too. The worst part is "Saar yenne kudkonku hudguru tagond hogirtare, petrol khali aadre yello park madbitare". This means that Sir, some boys might have been drunk and they might have taken your scooter. Once fuel is over they'll park it and go away.

I never expected such a response at all. Anyway, I somehow managed to get the FIR so that's a closed chapter now
jithin23 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 12:49   #17
BHPian

Really sorry to hear about your loss and about your ordeal with the police.

Even I live in the same neighbourhood and I somehow was living under the impression that these things happen very rarely in Bangalore and the authorities are quick to respond and help as well.
One of the reasons I have this impression because I belong from north India and I know how rampant and normalized is stealing of vehicles there. I have not heard about this kind of incidents from any of my known and near ones about the same happening in Bangalore. On the other hand, somehow I used to feel that police over here is quick to respond and help people which is generally not the case in my home town/state.
But your incident reminded me that this can happen anywhere and broke this jinx, since I live in the same neighbourhood going to be more careful considering my scooter's lock is showing some issues.

Good that you finally got hold of the FIR copy, this is still going to take time. I have gone through this ordeal when our month old Honda Aviator got stolen. Insurance guys take their own sweet time and may often ask for bribe in order to release the cheque. Entirely depends on the person handling this from the insurance department.
Highh5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 16:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Hi all
Hi Jithin,

I'm really sorry about the loss that you've faced. 2 thefts within the community itself in less than a month.

Seems like GPS trackers are the need of the hour.
Hope, this article can help everyone since even I'm not sure which trackers are good and which are not.

EDIT: Seems like this thread (GPS-tracking Anti-Theft Devices) will be worth a read.

Last edited by akash_v12 : 28th March 2021 at 16:39.
akash_v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 20:12   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Really sorry to hear about your loss and about your ordeal with the police.

Even I live in the same neighbourhood and I somehow was living under the impression that these things happen very rarely in Bangalore and the authorities are quick to respond and help as well.
One of the reasons I have this impression because I belong from north India and I know how rampant and normalized is stealing of vehicles there. I have not heard about this kind of incidents from any of my known and near ones about the same happening in Bangalore.
But your incident reminded me that this can happen anywhere and broke this jinx, since I live in the same neighbourhood going to be more careful considering my scooter's lock is showing some issues.

Good that you finally got hold of the FIR copy, this is still going to take time. I have gone through this ordeal when our month old Honda Aviator got stolen. Insurance guys take their own sweet time and may often ask for bribe in order to release the cheque. Entirely depends on the person handling this from the insurance department.
Agreed High5. Even I was under the same impression about Bangalore as I have been raised here since childhood. Trust me, the government agencies test your patience and endurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Hi Jithin,

I'm really sorry about the loss that you've faced. 2 thefts within the community itself in less than a month.

Seems like GPS trackers are the need of the hour.
Hope, this article can help everyone since even I'm not sure which trackers are good and which are not.
Thanks for the concern Akash. Yep, even I was thinking on the same lines for my car and both my bikes. Will buy one soon.

Some pointers to keep in mind if your vehicle is stolen (I hope no one ever has to go through this)

Documents:
1.Lettet to the Police and RTO separately with the owner's name & sign
2. RC card, Driver's license, Aadhar and valid insurance
3. One photo of the owner(needed at RTO)
4. A brown file cover( this is for the RTO for all the document copies)
5. Original key Set(for insurance)

Steps

1. Please get the FIR as soon as possible from the police station. Even if you need to pay some amount, please do so that you don't end getting harassed. Write a complaint letter beforehand and carry original and copies of RC, DL and Aadhar. Two witness signatures are needed in the police station

2. Inform the insurance company within 48 hours post the theft. FIR is mandatory to initiate even an intimation, so please get the FIR no matter what. In the claim request form, the owner's sign must be there. Acknowledgement from police website or app won't work as that's only a slip saying that you have informed the police

Remember: for this step, the owner or their representative MUST go to the insurance office in person as this is a case of theft. No matter whether you got the insurance on you own or from an agent or online, this is the procedure.

3.A intimation letter needs to be written to the RTO stating that please make a note that the vehicle has been stolen. This needs to be done within 14 days from the date of theft. Submit this all with a copy of insurance, RC, DL and Aadhar card of the owner in a Brown file.

NO NEED of paying of money at the RTO

For KA 03 RTO go straight to counter 18 in the ground floor and submit the file. Please don't ask the RTO officials for the required documents, they'll make you regret why you own a vehicle itself. Followig these steps will ensure you don't get harassed at any level

Further steps:
Once this is done, wait for the cops to give a C report and non traceable report. Once this is done, send these documents to the insurance office and RTO to claim refund of IDV and Road tax. This step might take months or years depending on how quickly the officials work on your case
jithin23 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 20:32   #20
Senior - BHPian

I hope you do get the closure soon on this. As long as FIR is there , it atleast helps in case of any accidents or other activities involving your vehicle.

My wife's brother's bike got stolen on Saturday in front of a hospital (Jayanagar, Bangalore). He had parked alongside other parked vehicles. When he came back it was lost and he did search the entire street plus checked with police too if it was towed away. Police suggested him to wait for a day until they take an FIR. I did suggest him to go and check later as someone might have taken his bike by mistake. To his surprise, when he went back after some 5 hours later, he found his bike parked at the same spot.

He took his bike to police station and narrated the incident. They said it is a usual thing and thats the reason they wait for a day atleast. Well for him atleast it was a happy ending.
TorqueyTechie is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 20:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
someone might have taken his bike by mistake.
How can someone else take away his bike by mistake?

This smells like racket.
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 21:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post

This smells like racket.
I think with regular usage the key slot is worn off and wont have grooves. It is easier to unlock with any key. During my college days my friend too had a similar incident. I suggested my BIL to change his key set immediately though as a precaution.
Old 29th March 2021, 21:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I hope you do get the closure soon on this. As long as FIR is there , it atleast helps in case of any accidents or other activities involving your vehicle.

My wife's brother's bike got stolen on Saturday in front of a hospital (Jayanagar, Bangalore). He had parked alongside other parked vehicles. I did suggest him to go and check later as someone might have taken his bike by mistake. To his surprise, when he went back after some 5 hours later, he found his bike parked at the same spot.

He took his bike to police station and narrated the incident. They said it is a usual thing and thats the reason they wait for a day atleast. Well for him atleast it was a happy ending.
Wait, how can someone take someone else's bike by mistake Don't they know their registration numbers. This smells like something's fishy. Glad that atleast your BIL got his bike back. What surprises me is that the cops are well ware of what's happening under their nose

Quote:

This smells like racket.
Yes, it does smell like a racket all around and this happens every weekend. On the same day my scooter got stolen, I had seen a couple more people from different areas losing their two wheelers(one Royal Enfield and one Pulsar) and my dad's friend's neighbor lost his new innova crysta from Koramangala. That too the thieves has cut the window glass through gas welding and they've stolen the vehicle.

Plus after the scooter episode, I'm very scared to park my vehicle in an uncovered parking spot.

Man, the thieves get away easily by stealing our vehicles but we have to run from pillar to post as well as face harassment, grease palms despite the loss is ours to ensure that we don't get into legal trouble.
What a sorry state it is despite being India's tech hub
jithin23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 03:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jithin23,
I hope you get your activa back. Are there any e-locks (SIM + GPS) for two-wheelers?
Quote:
To his surprise, when he went back after some 5 hours later, he found his bike parked at the same spot.
Quote:
Quote:
Wait, how can someone take someone else's bike by mistake:
I've heard this happen to a relative in Trichy too. Apparently, the locks on the Hero Honda Splendor/Passion wear out in a few years and any key can start the motorcycle.

Still, better to make a report at the police station. The motorcycles could be used for committing crimes and/or smuggling contraband- even if taken on a ride for a few hours.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 08:06   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Wait, how can someone take someone else's bike by mistake
Personally know of 2 incidence where people picked up someone else's Honda Activa. Got home and realized that it's not theirs. One of them went back quickly and got back his own Activa home while the other one first informed the cops incase a case of theft is registered and returned the scooter.

In both of these cases the Activas were pre-3G ones.

A person in my building had a very old Yamaha RX-100 which could be turned on with any similar shaped key.
RavSam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 18:53   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite disturbing to read about such an unexpected theft. Such thefts could unnerve the owner and make him or her face hassles with no end.

During the older days, stepney thefts would be very common. Scooter or any other two wheeler theft would mostly be reported in the press and in many cases the police recovered the vehicle. Older Bajaj range of scooters since 1985 had an ignition lock in the form of a toggle switch in the lockable luggage compartment to the left. These days thieves are smarter. They dismantle the components in their domestic, but illegal cottage industry and sell the spares to leave no traces. The manufacturers don't bother to make their two wheelers safer for their customers. You pay Rs 100,000 or more for a 100 cc scooter and end up with the same stuff that has 5 G or 6 G written to boast of the generation gap, but nothing in terms of theft safety.

Some old time safety devices were the centre stand lock which is also in vogue today. And please view the new grip lock in the last two links. These will delay the thief's access to the securely locked scooter/ bike and he may move on to get another one somewhere there that is easier to steal.

These are in vogue today too. Please view these videos:-

Liked the grip lock here below, viewed at 4.40 mins

Grip locks are available on this link below:-

https://www.amazon.in/s?k=scooty+gri..._sb_ss_sc_1_17

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 1st April 2021 at 18:54.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 15:17   #27
BHPian

An update regarding this case:

Finally got a call from the police station for the C report last week and I had gone to collect the C report. The next step was to go to the insurance office and submit the following documents mentioned in the checklist.

Remember: C report will be given only if the vehicle cannot be traced after 90 days. The steps below can be done once you get this report.

Take a local person with you as everything is printed in Kannada or local language if it's another state.

Catch hold of a notary and get the stamp paper related stuff done(Tip, the NDA complex will have all these under one roof)

The below pic is the document checklist. Very useful and dhe ones which are into marked were not required for me, in some cases if there's a loan, you will need those documents too
My Honda Activa got stolen in front of my house-img_20210707_144423.jpg

B Extract format
My Honda Activa got stolen in front of my house-img_20210706_143927__01.jpg

Formats to be followed on a 100RS bond paper

Subrogation letter part 1
My Honda Activa got stolen in front of my house-img_20210707_145904__01__01.jpg

Subrogation letter part 2
My Honda Activa got stolen in front of my house-img_20210707_145908__01__01.jpg

Indemnity bond part 1
My Honda Activa got stolen in front of my house-img_20210707_145919__01.jpg

Part 2
My Honda Activa got stolen in front of my house-img_20210707_145928__01__01.jpg

Part 3
My Honda Activa got stolen in front of my house-img_20210707_145934__01.jpg

Part 4
My Honda Activa got stolen in front of my house-img_20210707_145940__01.jpg

Note: Follow the parts for both the documents in sequence to get these documents printed/typed in order.

B extract can obtained at any BDA complex which houses Bangalore one. The area wise Bangalore Ones do not give this extract.

I think these steps will be common across all insurers regardless of the vehicle type.

Since the Road tax receipt is lost, I had made an affidavit for the same to avoid hassles later.

The surveyor came home today and verified the details again and he said within 15-20 days, the claim amount will be settled. Though it was a cumbersome process, it was worth it at the end.

One more suggestion would be to please Avoid buying insurance from PSU's or government insurance companies. The private companies are more quicker to offer solutions or claims.

After this incident, I've installed a GPS tracker in my car called Onelap and it's pretty good for what it offers.

Review link
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...-ecosport.html (Onelap Go - A GPS Tracker for my Ford EcoSport)

Totally I've spent about 3-3.5k for the claim process including greasing hands at the thana, notarized documents, travel expenses and Xerox copies.

Take atleast 3 Xerox copies of all the documents for safety.

I hope these steps help others who are going through the same ordeal or can be used for reference by others in the future so that you are better prepared in case such an incident happens. I sincerely hope no one goes through this excruciating process.

@Anjan_c2007, thanks for sharing those informative videos!

Last edited by jithin23 : 7th July 2021 at 15:34. Reason: Added content
jithin23 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 16:18   #28
BHPian

Good god. Feel really sorry. If this is the case, what will happen to Electric Vehicles which do not have registration number. The likes of Ampere ReoLi low speed scoots. I put a chain tied in my parking slot. But, cant be sure. Very easy to steal electric vehicles i suppose.
blackstallion76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 16:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Good god. Feel really sorry. If this is the case, what will happen to Electric Vehicles which do not have registration number. The likes of Ampere ReoLi low speed scoots. I put a chain tied in my parking slot. But, cant be sure. Very easy to steal electric vehicles i suppose.
That's another ballgame altogether and then God alone save that poor soul :(. For registered vehicles itself it's such a hassle.

One doubt: Has anyone claimed road tax refund when the vehicle got stolen? I'd like to claim that amount as well if possible.
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 20:24   #30
BHPian

One small update:

The B extract must be issued by the RTO and it must include the FIR date along with the Sign and seal from the RTO. You need to give a letter to the RTO for issuing B extract and it costs 10 Rupees and a couple of hours across different floors in the RTO. In my earlier post I had mentioned that B extract needs to be taken from Bangalore One but that's not acceptable by insurance companies.

I did these last week and my claim will be disbursed this week. Finally, some light at the end of the tunnel after 4 months. Some people are still running pillar to post to United India insurance office for years and yet couldn't get their claim settled.

Summary of steps so that it's easier for people and don't have to go through what I went through.

1. Inform the Insurance company and police within 24-48 hours of theft.
2. Submit the claim intimation form within 48 hrs along with the FIR original. If not, give a true copy of the FIR signed by the official in the police station.
3. Go to the RTO and intimate the RTO for cancellation of registration(I've added the checklist/documents needed in my previous posts) as well as obtain the B extract report on the same day. I did it after I got the C or No trace report, unknowingly wasted a week. So please get these 2 things done within 10 days after the theft. Again RTO will ask for FIR Copy. Mention the FIR Number and date in the RTO letters.
4. Submit the acknowledgement and B extract to the Insurance company along with the other documents mentioned in the checklist. Plus RC card, 2 sets of keys, Forms 29, 30 signed by the owner.
5. Wait for 3 months(because Police will give the no-trace report or 'C' report only 90 days after FIR is lodged).
6. Once you receive the C report, submit it to the insurance company or the surveyor from the insurance firm who will come to verify the facts/documents.

Keep 2-3 xerox copies of all these documents as the insurance company will take the originals.

I did ask the RTO for a road tax refund, they told me that only if we surrender the RC card at the RTO, we can get the Road tax refund. Doesn't make sense because the Insurance company will obviously ask for the original RC card. It's better to ignore the road tax as the IDV is much higher than the road tax. I feel there needs to be a way to reclaim road tax in case of total loss/theft apart from insurance as the road tax amount as well is not a small amount to be ignored.

After all, this is done, the claim amount will be disbursed as per IDV value within 10-15 days.

Hope nobody gets to go through this painful process or getting their vehicle stolen or wrecked.
jithin23 is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks