Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2007, 23:24   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude View Post
Oh, yes! Saw a couple of the newer 150's the other day. "Flapping" would be a better word.
, have noticed it too
Old 27th April 2007, 00:35   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Are you guys sure about that? AFAIK the wheels are made in Enkei's plant in India.
According to Enkei India website, Bajaj is one of their customers.
Enkei India
Old 27th April 2007, 02:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
What confuses me is that HH Karizma alloys are manufactured in the same plant and cost a whooping 8-9k whereas the Pulsar wheels are about 4-5k?
Karizma wheels are 18" and Pulsars is 17". That might explain the diff among other things like dealer markup.

Fork tubes are almost always cast aluminum and every once in a while casting quality issues will cause problems in a certain batch. Did the fork size go up from P150/180 to the P200. Sankar, are you sure the TVS forks are not plated to look like steel?

Also Munjal Showa and KYB are top suppliers of front forks.
Old 27th April 2007, 02:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Ishaan - am dam sure about this. Had visited the TVS plant and so thats how I know. And they keep tabs on their competitors doings too.
NC,
You are wrong about this.. The wheels are sourced from the ENKEI plant in Pune which is on Ranjangaon road... I dont have an idea about the TVS parts...
Cheersssss
Old 27th April 2007, 11:44   #20
BHPian

My P220 is having broader front fork barrel as compare to P200. And it looks strong, atleast from outerside. I think I dont have to worry.
Old 27th April 2007, 12:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Fork tubes are almost always cast aluminum and every once in a while casting quality issues will cause problems in a certain batch.
I doubt that.....I think it is of seamless iron pipe.....also the shocker assembly goes inside the fork tube.....and I don't think the aluminum can take the load of the disk brake force which is mounted directly on the fork tube.....and the wear and tear of the shocker working inside the tube.......

EDIT:- just checked out few bikes....is was a aluminum casting......Mpower is correct....but I fear the load cannot be handled by a aluminum component

Last edited by low_bass_makker : 27th April 2007 at 13:00.
Old 27th April 2007, 16:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
And I think it comes from China , does it ? Is this a particular batch problem or is it over different batches of forks ?
no the shock absorber are made by endurance .. it is an indian company.. the shock must be an defective piece i neva heard shock aborber cracking on hard breaking...
Old 27th April 2007, 16:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

I'd be very surprised if Bajaj is not taking this seriously and acting on this both at the service and the vendor ends - they seem to be flexing muscle globally and must want to establish themselves as a big responsive manufacturer. But then, given their earlier history, who knows.
Old 27th April 2007, 16:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Its a manufacturing defect, we already have a discussion going on...
check out the link
BCMTouring : View topic - Is the quality of motorcycle parts going downhill?

For the ease of all the members I am also copying the relevant post...
================================================== =====
Am reposting what I dicscussed on BN about the fork incident:
What has changed is the distance of the bolt from the CG of the fork, which has increased for the P200. That would mean that the same braking force from the discs would be causing as much reaction force on the fork, but much higher torque (T=F X D) thus causing the crack.

and even if you assume it as a one off case, Personally, i was surprised seeing the distance of the bolts from the fork.
[COLOR=#606420]http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2005/2005-yam-fz6-01-1.jpg[/COLOR]
Notice bottom right how the bolts are ALMOST attached to the fork versus the pulsie:
[COLOR=#0000ff]http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/91571.jpg[/COLOR]

Plus, the bolts are higher than the disc assembly. Need to refresh my force fundas, but it seems superior to the pulsar assembly. The nuts on pulsar are much lower (almost ON the disc). With the center of rotation being the axle, the nuts face less of a shear torque than in the FZ6.
Old 27th April 2007, 17:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Karizma wheels are 18" and Pulsars is 17". That might explain the diff among other things like dealer markup.

Fork tubes are almost always cast aluminum and every once in a while casting quality issues will cause problems in a certain batch. Did the fork size go up from P150/180 to the P200. Sankar, are you sure the TVS forks are not plated to look like steel?
The Karizma wheels are DOT certified, i don't know if the Pulsar wheels made by Enkei are DOT certified. Another thing is that Karizma wheels are pretty strong, a friend's karizma fell into a pothole while doing some high speeds and both his front and the rear alloy wheel's edges were slightly bent, it didnt shatter. Maybe the quality of Pulsar and kari alloys differ eventhough manufactured by the same company.

P150 & P180 share the same forks. But P200 has slightly wider forks. The old TVS (samurai, shogun, supra, shaolin etc) had steel forks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
EDIT:- just checked out few bikes....is was a aluminum casting......Mpower is correct....but I fear the load cannot be handled by a aluminum component
All modern bikes have cast aluminum forks. They can handle the braking forces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
What has changed is the distance of the bolt from the CG of the fork, which has increased for the P200. That would mean that the same braking force from the discs would be causing as much reaction force on the fork, but much higher torque (T=F X D) thus causing the crack.
The distance of the bolt from the fork does not matter much, the radial calipers have bolt set farther from the fork legs. Also the reason for setting the bolts farther from the fork could be because the P200 have a larger rotor.

Last edited by Sankar : 27th April 2007 at 18:04.
Old 27th April 2007, 18:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The Karizma wheels are DOT certified, i don't know if the Pulsar wheels made by Enkei are DOT certified. Another thing is that Karizma wheels are pretty strong, a friend's karizma fell into a pothole while doing some high speeds and both his front and the rear alloy wheel's edges were slightly bent, it didnt shatter. Maybe the quality of Pulsar and kari alloys differ eventhough manufactured by the same company.
Well in that case my friend on Pulsar 180 has been through worst of terrains, and still without a bend, no his alloys were not "shattered". Even mine, and I had an accident @ 100 KPH and the forks on my bike were bent to an extent that front mudguard was touching the silencer, the disc plate was bent, still the alloy didnt bend, it was a little out of shape accorss the circumference!
Besides have you seen Karizma alloys, they come with Bar Weights even from the factory... are they telling me that the "supposedly" better quality alloys need to be balanced before putting on the bike.

Dude the high cost you pay for Karizma alloys is due to the fact that their margins are now lower on bikes.... they make a huge amount of money by selling spares at exhorbitant prices. Besides they also have to support half of the Indian cricket team, pay royality to Honda, sponser numerous number of fashion and filmi events spread all throught the year, some cricket series and oh how can I forget big bolloywood stars like Hritik for the "new" Karizma Advt.
It has to come from somewhere and a large part of it is from your own pocket... did i hear better quality?

Last edited by extreme_torque : 27th April 2007 at 18:13.
Old 27th April 2007, 18:06   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Besides have you seen Karizma alloys, they come with Bar Weights even from the factory... are they telling me that the "supposedly" better quality alloys need to be balanced before putting on the bike.
My car came with Bar weights on the alloys from the factory. The balance weights are not due to the rim but due to construction of the tyre. Its good that they come balanced from the factory itself.
Old 27th April 2007, 18:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
My car came with Bar weights on the alloys from the factory. The balance weights are not due to the rim but due to construction of the tyre. Its good that they come balanced from the factory itself.
On a brand new tyre?
Old 27th April 2007, 18:28   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
On a brand new tyre?
Yes on a brand new tyre of course. All brand new tyres require balancing to be done.
Old 27th April 2007, 18:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The distance of the bolt from the fork does not matter much, the radial calipers have bolt set farther from the fork legs. Also the reason for setting the bolts farther from the fork could be because the P200 have a larger rotor.
Read this..... for radial calipers bolts are mounted differently.

Car Bibles : The Brake Bible

Besides, I have given you the Physical formula, T=FXD... since the F remains same, Distance will increase the torque force on the barrel. Its like the fulcrum effect.

Also see how disc brake caliper is mounted on a Fazer (the pic in the link on my post)

Last edited by extreme_torque : 27th April 2007 at 18:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks