Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2021, 05:26   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: DIY: RE Himalayan Oil Change

You could also hand it over to your neighborhood mechanic or FNG - especially a motorcycle guy and he will happily use it to lube customer chains (the commuter ones).
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 08:45   #17
BHPian

Thats one pristine bike! A big thumbs up for keeping her clean like that.
I once embarked on a DIY oil change like this on my Classic 350 and after making myself and my porch dirty I decided its a job better left with the professionals. However, unlike the Classic its look a lot easier to change oil in my Interceptor though.
I have one question. Why change the oil at 4k? For the Himalayan, RE recommends 10k. Motul 7100 being a fully synthetic oil can be pushed to 8k atleast. Ain't longer drain intervals one of the reasons for choosing a fully synthetic oil.
corvus corax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 20:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
You could also hand it over to your neighborhood mechanic or FNG - especially a motorcycle guy and he will happily use it to lube customer chains (the commuter ones).
RL, thank you. Yes! I could have done it, and even the FNG I know uses used oil to to lube chain and in some cases even use it on vehicles to flush old engines, but never really cared to give them these oil, as they have enough stock that would last eons, at least where I live. So, it's easier for me to dispose it off this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
Thats one pristine bike! A big thumbs up for keeping her clean like that.
I once embarked on a DIY oil change like this on my Classic 350 and after making myself and my porch dirty I decided its a job better left with the professionals. However, unlike the Classic its look a lot easier to change oil in my Interceptor though.
I have one question. Why change the oil at 4k? For the Himalayan, RE recommends 10k. Motul 7100 being a fully synthetic oil can be pushed to 8k atleast. Ain't longer drain intervals one of the reasons for choosing a fully synthetic oil.
Corvus Corax, thank you so much for your kind words. It's been my mantra to always go with the machine's feedback, and I think all manufacturers are over optimistic when recommending oil drain intervals. Stating the obvious, we as riders know better how that thing feels and shifts between our legs and it's right around about at those kays the vehicle starts whining and complaining, hence the early interval.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 13:56   #19
BHPian

VJ, got a couple of questions for you if you'd be so kind as to answer -

1. What oil do you use and why (I can see you were using 7100 earlier)? What's your opinion on fully synthetic in terms of longevity, smoothness and hot weather riding?

2. How did you procure the consumables? Online or SVC? If online, would you be able to provide a link?
Old 6th June 2021, 18:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
VJ, got a couple of questions for you if you'd be so kind as to answer -

1. What oil do you use and why (I can see you were using 7100 earlier)? What's your opinion on fully synthetic in terms of longevity, smoothness and hot weather riding?

2. How did you procure the consumables? Online or SVC? If online, would you be able to provide a link?
Hello Shyam, hope it's not too late an answer. I have used Motul 3100 15w50 Semi Synthetic. The oil was procured from a dealer nearby, as I stick to Motul's basic engine oil, which have served me really well. I source the parts directly from the main dealer here, and I keep stack of the consumables minimum of two pieces each, i.e. oil filter, filter cover gaskets, washers etc as I mostly do the servicing myself.

It's a Himalayan conundrum, indeed, when it comes to zeroing in on which oil is a best alternate for the REH. The bike's a confused one to say the least, it happily chugs along with literally any oil for approximately 2.5k kms approx, post which, it vehemently protests and starts throwing (temper)ature tantrums, hard gear shifts and steampunk sounds from the engine, that's when you know it's time.

The tolerances are very much off on these machines, be it the best or the worst grade oil, in any case, I stick to the middle grade which offers the best of both worlds and change them periodically or at a set interval, as per my oil change schedule. From my personal experience with my bike and Himalayans semi-synthetic is a sweet spot for this bike. Fully synthetic really isn't to this thing's liking, it just doesn't cut it. In the long run, SS runs cheaper for a cookie cutter, IMHO.

Hope it helps. Ride safe.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2021, 19:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Hello Shyam, hope it's not too late an answer. I have used Motul 3100 15w50 Semi Synthetic. The oil was procured from a dealer nearby, as I stick to Motul's basic engine oil, which have served me really well. I source the parts directly from the main dealer here, and I keep stack of the consumables minimum of two pieces each, i.e. oil filter, filter cover gaskets, washers etc as I mostly do the servicing myself.

It's a Himalayan conundrum, indeed, when it comes to zeroing in on which oil is a best alternate for the REH. The bike's a confused one to say the least, it happily chugs along with literally any oil for approximately 2.5k kms approx, post which, it vehemently protests and starts throwing (temper)ature tantrums, hard gear shifts and steampunk sounds from the engine, that's when you know it's time.

The tolerances are very much off on these machines, be it the best or the worst grade oil, in any case, I stick to the middle grade which offers the best of both worlds and change them periodically or at a set interval, as per my oil change schedule. From my personal experience with my bike and Himalayans semi-synthetic is a sweet spot for this bike. Fully synthetic really isn't to this thing's liking, it just doesn't cut it. In the long run, SS runs cheaper for a cookie cutter, IMHO.

Hope it helps. Ride safe.

Cheers!
VJ
Word! I tried Liquimoly fully synthetic this time and like you said, 2-3k kms and I felt the engine back to usual. I'm going to get back to semi synthetic I was planning Motul's 5100 15w50 next.

I was inspired by the thread and went ahead and bought a Stanley tool kit to attempt doing some basic maintenance myself! Now, on to procure the oil filter and oil itself, for which from what you mentioned, I'll need to visit the SVC nearby.

Thanks VJ!
shyamg28 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 11:54   #22
BHPian

requesting to please share experience (reviews) of different oils in Himalayan :

- RE OEM Liquid Gun 15w50
- Motul 5100 15w50
- Motul 7100 10w50
- Shell AX7 10w50

what is better, 10w50 or 15w50 ?

thanks for your inputs, regards,
Old 8th January 2023, 16:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
requesting to please share experience (reviews) of different oils in Himalayan :

- RE OEM Liquid Gun 15w50
- Motul 5100 15w50
- Motul 7100 10w50
- Shell AX7 10w50

what is better, 10w50 or 15w50 ?

thanks for your inputs, regards,
I've tried them all. I would recommend you to stick with Shell AX7 10w50. 10w50 is recommended. 10w and 15w doesn't make a significant difference to the cold flow, than, when you consider 20w in which case it does reduce the oil flow. Stick to 10w50.

Hope it helps, good luck.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 9th January 2023, 22:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Quick Stat on the Bike
==============
RE Himalayan BS IV Snow White
KMS clocked 9k KMS

Cheers!
VJ
Isn't your Himalayan under Warranty?

Mods, Sorry for one liner.
Old 16th January 2023, 16:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Isn't your Himalayan under Warranty?

Mods, Sorry for one liner.
Sudeep, indeed the bike was under warranty. But after the free services were up, I preferred to do these myself, as that ruled out the possibility of a part not being available at the SVC and me being charged for it, stating that it was replaced.

The bike's since been sold, it's been almost a year and a half since I've parted with the bike, she's in the hands of a happy owner.

Hope it's not too late of a reply.

Cheers!
VJ

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks