Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Old 9th April 2021, 05:26   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: DIY: RE Himalayan Oil Change

You could also hand it over to your neighborhood mechanic or FNG - especially a motorcycle guy and he will happily use it to lube customer chains (the commuter ones).
Red Liner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 08:45   #17
BHPian

Thats one pristine bike! A big thumbs up for keeping her clean like that.
I once embarked on a DIY oil change like this on my Classic 350 and after making myself and my porch dirty I decided its a job better left with the professionals. However, unlike the Classic its look a lot easier to change oil in my Interceptor though.
I have one question. Why change the oil at 4k? For the Himalayan, RE recommends 10k. Motul 7100 being a fully synthetic oil can be pushed to 8k atleast. Ain't longer drain intervals one of the reasons for choosing a fully synthetic oil.
corvus corax is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 20:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
You could also hand it over to your neighborhood mechanic or FNG - especially a motorcycle guy and he will happily use it to lube customer chains (the commuter ones).
RL, thank you. Yes! I could have done it, and even the FNG I know uses used oil to to lube chain and in some cases even use it on vehicles to flush old engines, but never really cared to give them these oil, as they have enough stock that would last eons, at least where I live. So, it's easier for me to dispose it off this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
Thats one pristine bike! A big thumbs up for keeping her clean like that.
I once embarked on a DIY oil change like this on my Classic 350 and after making myself and my porch dirty I decided its a job better left with the professionals. However, unlike the Classic its look a lot easier to change oil in my Interceptor though.
I have one question. Why change the oil at 4k? For the Himalayan, RE recommends 10k. Motul 7100 being a fully synthetic oil can be pushed to 8k atleast. Ain't longer drain intervals one of the reasons for choosing a fully synthetic oil.
Corvus Corax, thank you so much for your kind words. It's been my mantra to always go with the machine's feedback, and I think all manufacturers are over optimistic when recommending oil drain intervals. Stating the obvious, we as riders know better how that thing feels and shifts between our legs and it's right around about at those kays the vehicle starts whining and complaining, hence the early interval.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed