Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Old 28th April 2021, 13:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Bajaj Pulsar Dagger Edge Edition launched at Rs. 1.02 lakh

Bajaj has launched Dagger Edge Editions of the Pulsar 150, Pulsar 180 and Pulsar 220F.

Bajaj Pulsar Dagger Edge Edition launched at Rs. 1.02 lakh-bajajpulsardaggeredgeedition21200x740.jpg

The Dagger Edge Edition comprises four new colour options - Pearl White, Sapphire Blue, Volcanic Red and Sparkle Black. All three models are mechanically identical to their standard counterparts.

Bajaj Pulsar Dagger Edge Edition launched at Rs. 1.02 lakh-bajajpulsardaggeredgeedition11200x740.jpg

The Pulsar 150 is powered by a 149cc, single-cylinder engine that produces 13.8 BHP @ 8,000 rpm and 13.25 Nm @ 6,500 rpm. The engine is mated to a 5-speed gearbox. It is available in Pearl White and Sapphire Blue.

Bajaj Pulsar Dagger Edge Edition launched at Rs. 1.02 lakh-bajajpulsardaggeredgeedition1200x740.jpg

The Pulsar 180 uses a 178.6cc, single-cylinder engine that puts out 16.76 BHP @ 8,500 rpm and 14.52 Nm @ 6,500 rpm. The engine is paired with a 5-speed gearbox. This bike comes in Pearl White, Volcanic Red and Sparkle Black colours

Bajaj Pulsar Dagger Edge Edition launched at Rs. 1.02 lakh-bajajpulsardaggeredgeedition31200x677.jpg

The Pulsar 220F comes with a 220cc, single-cylinder motor that pumps out 20.11 BHP @ 8,500 rpm and 18.55 Nm @ 7,000 rpm. The 220F is also equipped with a 5-speed gearbox. The 220F gets all four aforementioned colours.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 28th April 2021 at 13:10.
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 13:16   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Bajaj Pulsar Dagger Edge Edition launched at Rs. 1.02 lakh

There is no doubt in my mind that Bajaj is the Maruti Suzuki of the biking industry. Numerous lame special editions and paint schemes aside, I also don't agree to them shoehorning every possible engine in each and every bike of their's.

And this isn't restricted to Bajaj only. It also applies to KTM. The Duke would have been better of with the 200, 250 and 390. The 125 was absolutely uncalled for. The same goes for the RC. All of this just leads to brand dilution.

Last edited by GTO : 29th April 2021 at 08:40. Reason: Opening line was too much, bud
vishy76 is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 13:24   #3
KPR
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

If Radhika Apte could come out Netflix why can't Bajaj and their Pulsar?
KPR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 14:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that Bajaj is the Maruti Suzuki of the biking industry. Numerous lame special editions and paint schemes aside, I also don't agree to them shoehorning every possible engine in each and every bike of their's.

And this isn't restricted to Bajaj only. It also applies to KTM. The Duke would have been better of with the 200, 250 and 390. The 125 was absolutely uncalled for. The same goes for the RC. All of this just leads to brand dilution.
Bajaj finally is learning from the big daddy Hero and launching models which are similar to the splendor plus plus or the Passion pro (The passion with a white hat jr degree).

In the age where companies are relying on innovation and technology in many markets, we will rely on the sticker wala approach to a new product.

Maddy

Last edited by GTO : 29th April 2021 at 08:40. Reason: Quoted post edited
maddy42 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 15:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

From loving and adoring this 'Hamara Bajaj' to loathing this brand, life has come a full circle for me.

Having owned Bajaj bikes for ages (5 bikes over 17 years), I used to root for them since my childhood. New designs, feature loaded, innovative technologies and very reasonable prices. TVS was another such brand which did the right things (but I rooted for Bajaj). And to me, Hero Honda was the sticker king, safe choice of the masses.

Never did I expect Bajaj to pull off sticker editions. But today, I am confident that Bajaj can beat Hero at their own game. At least the latter doesn't launch and discontinue models at the blink of an eye. Godspeed!
ashis89 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 15:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj is becoming more and more confident enough that mere cosmetic changes, would keep the cash registers ringing.

Only proves Bajaj is making money Hand Over Fist with its brand and Butter Pulsar Range.

Good for Business and Share Holders but not exciting for the few enthusiasts (minority) who might be hoping to see some substantial change.
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2021, 16:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
From loving and adoring this 'Hamara Bajaj' to loathing this brand, life has come a full circle for me.
Having owned Bajaj bikes for ages (5 bikes over 17 years), I used to root for them since my childhood. New designs, feature loaded, innovative technologies and very reasonable prices. TVS was another such brand which did the right things (but I rooted for Bajaj). And to me, Hero Honda was the sticker king, safe choice of the masses.
Very well said. Bajaj and TVS kind of reached their saturation point with R&D and then were saved by KTM and BMW partnership.
Hero on the other hand has invested heavily into R&D after divorce from Honda.
Bajaj fails to understand that shoehorning every engine capacity in each popular brand of motorcycle, discontinuing and again introducing the name plate will do more damage then good.
They need new generation of CT, Discover, Pulsar range of bikes to catch the interest of enthusiasts again.
PraNeel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 09:38   #8
BHPian

What is Dagger Edge by the way? Sounds like a video game character or a mission title. I looked at the pictures many times. Only dagger shape I see is the decal on the tank. No complaints with the company as its share price keeps me happy.

The bikes are another story.
no_fear is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 13:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Very well said. Bajaj and TVS kind of reached their saturation point with R&D and then were saved by KTM and BMW partnership.
Bajaj fails to understand that shoehorning every engine capacity in each popular brand of motorcycle, discontinuing and again introducing the name plate will do more damage then good.
They need new generation of CT, Discover, Pulsar range of bikes to catch the interest of enthusiasts again.
The shoehorning of every engine capacity is a strategy decision which started with the likes of BMW. They have the 1,2,3,5,7 and the Ms with the same range. So once you enter the showroom there is something which may fit your needs. The similarity ends there.

Bajaj has milked the pulsar twins from 2002. Similar to what they did with the Bajaj Chetak where people had a waiting list and had to pay a premium to jump the line. I remember being in my 12th and visiting the dealership each month to see if the Pulsar has launched.

I see this DNA being passed onto the KTM brand too, with 125, 200, 250, 390 in the our market.

Maddy
Old 29th April 2021, 15:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

If TVS could get away with a Apache HYPEREDGE Edition, then Bajaj can also do a Pulsar DAGGEREDGE I guess
Old 29th April 2021, 15:26   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
The shoehorning of every engine capacity is a strategy decision which started with the likes of BMW. They have the 1,2,3,5,7 and the Ms with the same range. So once you enter the showroom there is something which may fit your needs. The similarity ends there.
They should have also taken inspiration from BMW for refining the current gen products and launching a new gen within the product lifecycle time period.
Quote:
Bajaj has milked the pulsar twins from 2002. Similar to what they did with the Bajaj Chetak where people had a waiting list and had to pay a premium to jump the line. I remember being in my 12th and visiting the dealership each month to see if the Pulsar has launched.

I see this DNA being passed onto the KTM brand too, with 125, 200, 250, 390 in the our market.
When pulsar twins were launched, it caught the fancy of every middle class teenager. The product was lauded by all reviewers and when they launched the gen 2 with updated styling and DTSI engine, once again Bajaj was in limelight.
After that they got success with Discover brand as well. But then they hit a roadblock and just kept on sprucing old models.
They introduce and withdraw models like anything. Discover a famous nameplate is non existent.
They withdrew CT range citing to focus on premium segment only and then introduced it back by axing Discover.
They withdrew from scooter market, which was their stronghold.
We bought Legend scooter due to its smart styling and 4 stroke engine.
Bajaj axed it and then put the engine in Chetak which was also discontinued. We had to sell the scooter due to engine issues for peanuts.
What kind of a strategy is this?
Dominar 400 which is a decent product has been also put into this cycle by introducing 250 cc variant and God knows what next.

Look at RE, they have issues but they have maintained aspiration of their brand. Twin cylinder engine, new single engine platform and models based on them. They have kept the interest alive in their customer base.

All I want to say is people expected from Bajaj, but not any more.

Last edited by PraNeel : 29th April 2021 at 15:33.
PraNeel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 09:28   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure about this. The models and engines that are selling for them are from their Honda partnership times. Every scooter is a Honda underneath with only the panels and other stuff from Hero. Maybe the 200cc engine is their own.

Bajaj on the other hand has invested in making or differentiating their engines from Kawasaki days.. DTSi, Triple spark, etc. They even had an automatic scooter Safire/Wave when everyone else had a CVT. I sincerely hope Bajaj makes their bikes a bit more smoother. Their bikes are gruff and never smooth like a Yamaha or Honda. I have ridden the first 4S, Champion, P150, P180 ( Original and the UG3), Wind125 and the RTZ 2stroke. Currently own a Platina110 4 gear which is the gruff'est bike I have driven till now. Any speed above 45 kmph vibration can be felt in handle bar and footpegs.But rewards with 70+ kmpl in the 40 to 50kmph range for 'singles' driving.

Bajaj is trying to make higher margins by providing sticker jobs

Bajaj has to understand that people value the experience as a whole and VFM / sticker jobs alone will not get you there.
pugram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 10:40   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Bajaj and TVS kind of reached their saturation point with R&D
There is only so much R&D one can do when you are fighting at bottom of the market pyramid catering to the masses with high volumes. Instead of using KTM to leapfrog into the aspirational/premium segment they have actually diluted the KTM brand as well by launching lower capacity KTMs. When the biggest criteria for new developments is cost, there is not much potential for revolutionary ideas.

I don't own or ride bikes anymore. Had a Duke 200 when it launched in 2012 and sold it off in a year due to the miserable service center experience. From my outside perspective, the Pulsars have not evolved much over the last decade. Sure, they might have some mechatronic improvements, but they look the same and really don't look that aspirational anymore.

To be fair to Bajaj/TVS, the Indian two wheeler market is almost entirely driven by purchases driven out of need and not wants with fuel economy being the second criteria after purchase cost. So, why bother with R&D when no one wants it.
yd_gli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 11:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And yet, Hero has few new launches with all-new engines. Their volumes continue to come from the classic and proven Honda engines.

Quote:
When pulsar twins were launched, it caught the fancy of every middle class teenager. The product was lauded by all reviewers and when they launched the gen 2 with updated styling and DTSI engine....Discover brand....hit a roadblock and just kept on sprucing old models.

They introduce and withdraw models like anything.....withdrew CT range citing to focus on premium segment only.....withdrew from scooter market, which was their stronghold.
IMO, it was a flawed strategy to focus on premium motorcycles while letting go of entry level ones and the scooter segment. They overlooked the potential of scooters when Activa was launched. A couple of failed products like Spirit, Saffire, Wave and then shut shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
Bajaj on the other hand has invested in making or differentiating their engines from Kawasaki days.. DTSi, Triple spark, etc.
+1
And then they stopped their own effort and started looking at joint R&D with KTM, using their engines and diluting all the brands together in one bucket!

Quote:
They even had an automatic scooter Safire/Wave when everyone else had a CVT.
The Saffire had one of the smoothest scooter engines I have ridden till date. It used to purr. But those automatic gearboxes on the Saffire and Spirit gave a lot of headache. So much so that Bajaj had to junk those models.

Wave came later and had CVT gearbox. Again, the performance of this scooter was aggressive to put it mildly. It was powerful, handled well and was comfortable; better in every possible way than the Activa based on my experience. But by then, Honda had made a name for itself while Bajaj was too late to the game. Had they stayed (and improved their quality slightly), Wave could have got them the due share in the scooter market. Alas, it was also discontinued!

Wind 125. Another wonderful product which had huge demand in the local market. But it had nice demand in foreign market as well (it was designed keeping the foreign market in mind). Once the export started picking up, Bajaj decided to withdraw it from the local market instead of ramping up the production.

I got to know all of this as a close family friend was the one of the largest distributor and dealer of Bajaj in eastern India, back in those days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
There is only so much R&D one can do when you are fighting at bottom of the market pyramid catering to the masses with high volumes.
To be fair to Bajaj/TVS, the Indian two wheeler market is almost entirely driven by purchases driven out of need and not wants with fuel economy being the second criteria after purchase cost. So, why bother with R&D when no one wants it.
To be fair to Bajaj, they continued R&D and churning out new models until very recently.

I believe they lost interest when most of their newer and premium models 'flopped' in the market - Pulsar NS, AS, RS and the Dominar. These new models never were able to recreate the success of the old-gen Pulsars (think of a similarity between Indica/Indigo and Vista/Manza?).

From a customer point of view, if I am buying a premium bike, I will look for that R&D and better features. In a commuter bike, FE and reliability and low cost of maintenance works. And in either of the cases, I will be worried if the company has a history of discontinuing models every 3rd week of launch.
ashis89 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 13:22   #15
BHPian

What an ugly stickering to a timeless set of design. Sigh, never expected Bajaj to develop such bad taste. They really need to review their product line especially the Pulsar name, how many models and iterations.

This one company i really loved and admired in the last decade (2001 - 10), they had focus and were really so good that beating them was next to impossible by the competition. Really lost and crass in designs (subjective), they don't spell class like they used.

The pulsar name used to stand for something. Sign of changing times I guess.

Last edited by chinmaypillay : 30th April 2021 at 13:24. Reason: Small changes :)
chinmaypillay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed