Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2021, 15:17   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda CB200X, now launched at Rs. 1.44 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
Somehow I'm failing to see who the target audience is. In other words, what to expect from the bike. Wouldn't make sense to target the Xpulse as CB200X isn't as good an off-roader as the Xpulse is. Can't compare with adv tourers such as Himalayan or KTM Advs as those are more powerful. The closest I can think of is a better city bike than Himalayan and Xpulse and one that can also do mild offroads?
They are basically trying to cash-in on the latest adventure fad(like SUV body-style craze) in our market. This bike is as adventurous as Nexons/Sonets/cretas are SUVs.

As usual HMSI looked for the cheapest possible way to do that, so they picked up a hornet and gave it this styling. Add 14k to the price and voila!!! Entry level Adventure tourer. Except for the styling nothing has changed. Xpulse still remains the off-road favorite but it doesnt really work for people who need a do-it-all bike right from office commute to 2-up weekend short tours. So this might appeal to a broader set of people. And at 147 kgs its a good 10kgs lighter than Xpulse, so would be better off on higway speeds with a pillion. I know its overpriced by atleast a 15k but then that's how HONDA always has been.

I personally might just pick this up as I find it looks good and serves the basic purpose okay-ish. Just can't stand the looks of the new FZ25 headlights(maybe too funky for the old me), else that would have been a better buy. Wish TVS tried something like this with the RTR200 platform.

Last edited by SoumenD : 19th August 2021 at 15:19.
SoumenD is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 15:43   #47
BHPian

Re: Honda NX200 - Hero Xpulse 200 rival

Can we change the name of this thread please?

This bike is absolutely NOT a rival to the Xpulse. The Xpulse is a HELL OF A LOT of bike for the money compared to this quarter-arsed effort from Honda. All it's got going for it is the styling, the seat and the so-called "Honda reliability." I find it appalling to pay this kind of money for basically a roadbike with incompetent specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Wish TVS tried something like this with the RTR200 platform.
I've been waiting for a reason to buy a TVS as well. I remember news about them trademarking the name Raider or something not long ago.

Hopefully they can soon bring out a good dual purpose motorcycle that doesn't cut many corners. But chances are, it's gonna be another overweight bike in this BS6 era of obese bikes.
drt_rdr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 17:47   #48
Senior - BHPian

For 12k more than Hornet, you get the NX200 which probably is more versatile. But given that owners are more likely to ride out on highways on the NX200 vs. the Hornet, a Dual Channel ABS is a definite miss! A 6-speed transmission would have been nice to have too.

I wish Honda had launched this at the price point of Hornet and reduced the price of Hornet. But that would be too much to ask from any manufacturer and even more so from Honda.

This is no Xpulse though - they are chalk and cheese. Xpulse has 21-18 wheel setup while the NX200 with its 17in setup is road biased. Xpulse is also a good 25k cheaper and comes with better warranty (for obvious reasons I guess).
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 18:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

The engine appears to have been directly lifted from the Hornet 2.0 without any modifications to suit the off-road/trail environment.

Honda should have tried to extract a bit more torque, at least at a lower rpm point.

Lastly, It is not clear, if the gearing has been altered or not.
Closely stacked 6 speed gears would have helped.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 19:23   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
The engine appears to have been directly lifted from the Hornet 2.0 without any modifications to suit the off-road/trail environment.

Honda should have tried to extract a bit more torque, at least at a lower rpm point.
It's a long stroke engine (relatively). It favors low end torque by nature. This should make it easy to putter along at low rpms.
Old 19th August 2021, 19:31   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
They are basically trying to cash-in on the latest adventure fad(like SUV body-style craze) in our market. This bike is as adventurous as Nexons/Sonets/cretas are SUVs.
Not in true sense.
Creta, Nexon, Sonets etc are the Cash Cows of their respective brands, and yes they are the fads for being like SUVs.
But for NX200 its not a fad and its not going to be the Cash Cow for Honda.
It only appears to be strategic to increase its market share by adding a variety from existing product portfolio with minimal stress on the current infracture.
There is no craze for Adventure motorcycle or Adventure motorcycle like. Eg: 390 Adv, Xpulse, Himalayan. These adventure motorcyles are not Cash Cow but niche products.
Old 19th August 2021, 20:13   #52
BHPian

I see how Honda is building a X lineup in their India portfolio. But I don't understand why this 200X. Maybe just to earn more cash by being part of 'adv' fad.

Forget Xpulse 200, the 200X is only cosmetically adventurous than the Hornet 2.0. I don't think there are any changes to the ergonomics / riding triangle.

Was hoping for more. As usual Honda disappointed.
Old 19th August 2021, 20:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

Bike looks good, the performance should suffice for newbies and people on a shoestring budget but with a passion for touring. This will be an alternate to the Hero xpulse who are ok to pay that 800 to 1200 premium on an monthly basis.

My 2 cents, disappointed that this misses out on a bigger front wheel which could have made things interesting especially since this has tubeless tires.

Plus missed out on launching a few basic accessories to help the bike a tourer.

Reminds me of the old Pulsar AS series nothing more.

Wish they concentrate more on the Honda CRF 300L or the rally edition of it.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 21:05   #54
BHPian

Re: Honda CB200X, now launched at Rs. 1.44 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyD View Post
I don't think there are any changes to the ergonomics / riding triangle.
They've apparently put on a taller handlebar, but the footpeg position looks the same.

So, you can just buy the hornet, buy the taller handlebar, put it on and have yourself a Honda "adventure bike" while saving some money.
drt_rdr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 21:06   #55
BANNED

This like every other fork of the CB150 platform that was released in the past 5 years is basically the bikers version of "Fools Gold" something only wannabes and the uninitiated fall for, the only reason familiar faces keep marketing them is cause they're either sponsored or paid off.

Peace.
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 21:45   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_torqueaddict View Post
Honda already has such a bike in their portfolio and it’s called CRF250 and a rally version, which is capable and looks bloody darn good as well. It’s the same cbr 250 engine tuned for off-roading. There are several videos from east Asia as well. I have been waiting to replace my current cbr with something like this.
If I am not wrong the the 184 cc engine that the Hornet and CB200X gets is actually from a dirt bike, the XR190, and while it is underpowered, due its lightweight chassis it handles very well

It is just my opinion but I think the NX200 will come back in form of CB125X concept

Honda CB200X, now launched at Rs. 1.44 lakh-gu4oelzmdm8kwk_2.jpg
Old 19th August 2021, 22:11   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
..., the only reason familiar faces keep marketing them is cause they're either sponsored or paid off.
Are you referring to the "compere" ? i dont know it was, but the whole thing was so insipid and a put-on. Was expecting a more qualitative launch, but stopped watching it soon after start.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 00:51   #58
BHPian

In my opinion the big question here is which Japanese company trumped the other in making a so called X-ADV contraption which is absolutely not an ADV ?
Yamaha FZ-X or Honda 200X
darkLightning is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 01:41   #59
BHPian

The bike looks sharp and attractive. The grey version is very pleasing to the eye.
Being a Honda, the engine is bound to be smooth and responsive. I wish we had such motorcycles in our youth.
matizcrazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 09:55   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Bike looks good, the performance should suffice for newbies and people on a shoestring budget but with a passion for touring. This will be an alternate to the Hero xpulse who are ok to pay that 800 to 1200 premium on an monthly basis.
Agree! There are people who want an Adv looking bike for touring and dont want the usual crop of bikes that are available. Maximising an existing platform by launching different products is a globally proven formula. That said, like the others, I wish Honda had given dual channel ABS (how could they miss this?), a sixth gear and a few more features. It will be interesting to see how the market reacts to this launch and if Honda has to take course correction sooner rather than later.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed