Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2021, 17:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rahul Bajaj steps down as Chairman of Bajaj Auto: 10 June 1938 – 12 February 2022.

Rahul Bajaj will be stepping down from the position of Non-executive Chairman of Bajaj Auto Limited from April 30, 2021. He will be replaced by Niraj Bajaj who is currently the Non-executive Director of the company.

Rahul Bajaj steps down as Chairman of Bajaj Auto: 10 June 1938 – 12 February 2022.-bajaj9804841619693269.jpg

According to the company, Rahul Bajaj has decided to resign from his post considering his age. He has been heading the 2-wheeler brand since 1972. He will continue to serve as Chairman Emeritus of the company.

Official statement:

Quote:
Rahul Bajaj has made a huge contribution to the success of the Company and the Group over the last five decades. Considering his tremendous experience and in the interest of the Company and to continue to benefit from his experience, knowledge and wisdom from time to time in an advisory role and as a mentor, the Board of Directors at its meeting held today and as recommended by Nomination and Remuneration Committee has approved the appointment of Shri Rahul Bajaj as Chairman Emeritus of the Company for a term of five years with effect from 1 May 2021. This will be taken up at the ensuing annual general meeting for the approval of the shareholders.
Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 29th April 2021 at 17:06.
TusharK is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 00:28   #2
BHPian

re: Rahul Bajaj steps down as Chairman of Bajaj Auto: 10 June 1938 – 12 February 2022.

Doyen of the two wheeler automotive industry.

Reminds me of the Bajaj Chetak ad, which was hugely popular then.

I do believe the succession is in good hands though, with his son Rajiv Bajaj being a very capable administrator.

Last edited by GTO : 30th April 2021 at 08:26. Reason: typos
1985Darkkid85 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 30th April 2021, 08:31   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Rahul Bajaj steps down as Chairman of Bajaj Auto: 10 June 1938 – 12 February 2022.

What a distinguished career . And equally impressive is his personality. In an industry full of senior management who are trained by their PR team to carefully speak like they are reading out from a press release, Rahul Bajaj always brings a breath of fresh air.

His son is quite the orator (Rajiv Bajaj - Among the best orators in the Indian automotive industry) too!

GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 13:57   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I was reading an article by Mr Murali Gopalan on Rahul Bajaj in Autocar India, where he has quoted someone as saying:-

“A lion is a lion whose roar affirms its supremacy. Rahul Bajaj may have stepped down as Chairman but will still be the lion.”

The lines aptly summarise the persona of the erstwhile "Scooter King" of India (born on 10th June 1938) in a few words, about whom many from the present generation may not be even aware of. He was a 'one of a kind' head honcho of a leading corporate, who never minced words and bluntly, freely and frankly speak about the automobile industry, economy, government and government policies. His interviews and statements would either shower praises or be with his suggestions for resolution of wrong-doings or with his criticism for wrong steps detrimental to the well-being of the automobile industry and/or to the economy. When nearly all of today's head honchos of corporates in India fear to tread on criticism, Rahul Bajaj, the Harvard Business School graduate did this with elan, wit and poise, got heard in the necessary corridors and even walked away with bouquets most of the times.

I had a lucky chance of hearing his lecture sometime in the later months of 1991 (post-liberalisation by the then new government), when the Indo-Jap motorcycles were gradually taking over the turf from the once ever-popular geared scooters ("Hamara Bajaj" was coined in 1989). The region's Industry Association had arranged this lecture in their auditorium at 4.00 pm, if I can recollect. Naturally, Rahul Bajaj was visiting his local Bajaj dealers and had also been to his ancestral place in Wardha (Mah) earlier in the day, during his one day visit. Rahul Bajaj arrived at the dot and the crowd in the audience was simply bowled over to see the Chairman and "Scooter King" walk into the auditorium alongwith the local Bajaj dealer-partners, with whom he had a very old family connect. He was dressed in a simple, spotless, cotton white kurta-pyjama,his most favourite attire and spoke crisply and as a veteran about the automobile industry and the 'winds of change' coming, due to the recently announced budget by Dr Manmohan Singh. The most important take-away was his instant connect with the audience, due to his relaxed demeanour and patient delivery of words that were not very bombastic or verbose to follow by an average listener. He had a straight into the eye contact with the audience and the talk was laced with intermittent humour. He was just 53 years old then in 1991.

After finishing his talk, the applauses poured in. It was followed by the customary vote of thanks after which he left. I was quick enough to keep pace and could see him leaving in a brand new, white Maruti 1000 (registration number MH 31 G 1102) that belonged to the Bajaj dealer. There were no exotic cars requisitioned to ferry the "Scooter King" during his one-day trip. A regret for me remains till this day for the fact that I did not carry my camera to click pictures of this iconic personality.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 8th July 2021 at 14:04.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks