Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2021, 16:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!

Flashback - Sometime in 2018

This dates back a couple of years ago in 2018. This was the time around when I started having a bit of an issue with car parking. This was also a time when I had many cars. A Palio, an Innova, Ambassador, Padmini, and a Padmini S1. I was already looking to trim and dispose of a couple of cars. Suddenly one day, Arun1100 called me and said an elderly gentleman wanted to sell his Fiat 1100 Delight. He had stopped using it and did not have much desire in driving any further due to his age.

Despite having many cars and issues with Parking, I couldn't say no to a Delight and expressed my willingness to buy. Very soon we reached his place in Indiranagar, we asked what he was expecting and paid in full without any haggling. The issue was the car was stopped 1 year ago and did not even have a battery. The owner was confident it will not start simply by pouring fuel and jump-starting. I and Arun were fully confident and we carried several spares, spare battery and managed to start the car the next day.

This thread is definitely not about the Fiat 1100 Delight. It's about how 'delighted' we were to see a 1980 Suvega tucked behind the Fiat car which we couldn't notice until we fixed the Fiat, and took it out of the garage. I and Arun were startled to see this barn find. Our eyes couldn't believe it. We were like how could it be so neat and nice even after 25+ years of non-usage. Everything seemed original, including the paint from the factory. For several minutes, we were drooling and gently moved it and saw every part of it in admiration. One of the best sights of our lives undoubtedly!

The first sight!
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-very-first-pic.jpg

We quickly asked the old gentleman what he was planning to do of the Suvega. He just said it's of no use. He stopped using it in the early 90's itself. It has been lying there ever since. He did not remember anything more about it. He agreed to part with it. I couldn't control my joy and literally had goosebumps. I was too excited about this. Honestly even during childhood, I don't remember seeing a running Suvega. All I remember is seeing Suvegas in neighborhood homes decaying while growing up. I have a lot of nostalgia with mopeds as my Dad had the very old 70's Luna. The one without shocks and single-seater, many call it duck Luna, not sure why. While a kid (4th or 5th class can't remember), I used to ride it under parental supervision. Yes, those were such days . Unfortunately, it was scrapped in the late 90's. Dad had got a Bajaj scooter and did not see any value in reviving and maintaining the Luna which was more like a toy for me.

Anyway, without wasting any time we quickly finished formalities and took the car home, and visited the next day to fetch the Suvega. We used my very helpful Innova to transport the Suvega. After purchase, Fiat was first priority as it was easy to deal with it. On another hand, the Suvega would require a mechanic, probably several parts and restoration. I knew it was going to be a long one. Hence, it sat inside the Innova for maybe 3 weeks. Later on, I moved it to Arun1100's home who was kind enough to hold the Suvega for a while.

Pics before Arun1100 archived it for a while:

The front
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-1-front.jpg

Front wheel
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-1-front-wheel.jpg

Side profile
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-1-side-profile.jpg

Its a deluxe
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-1-suvega-delux.jpg

The puny engine
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-1-engine.jpg

The rear
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-1-rear-shot.jpg

Mopeds were too new for me and I honestly did not know where to start. I had all the interest to get it running again and ready to spend whatever it took to restore. I checked with several friends and did not get any good contacts of mechanics. I wanted someone who is not only good but trustworthy, down-to-earth and matches my wavelength. I wanted to be part of the restoration if time permits. Time also was a big constraint for me as I had a toddler at home and she needed a lot of my time. Hence, there on, I started collecting all the necessary parts. Some I could know was needed, and some I anyway purchased. As time went by in 2019, I left it at a mechanic near Arun's home and told him to free up the engine and get it started. All my plans of watching the restoration etc went down the drain due to lack of time. The mechanic was not really a classic repair guy but was very keen to work on the Suvega as he said he learned his work on Suvega's in the initial days. With a few strict conditions, we left it there. We strictly had told, he has to tell us before doing anything and all parts should be kept carefully. He agreed. The Suvega was there for a few weeks. He opened up the engine, freed it and he took a lot of time for this. Mainly he would work on this when he doesn't have any other work of modern-day vehicle repairs. After the engine was put together, he realized that the carburetor was beyond repair. He asked me to arrange a different one. Couldn't find it after trying several contacts. We took back the Suvega and archived it again due to lack of time.

Unfortunately, I have very little meaningful photos on the failed and incomplete attempt to get the Suvega to start:

Mechanic Fahim working
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-f0-fahim-working.jpeg

Work in progress
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-f4-wip.jpeg

Work in progress
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-f5-wip11.jpeg

Work in progress. CD100 belongs to a friend, Suvega being worked in the background
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-fz-wip-suvega-background-cd100-friends.jpeg

After many weeks of search and I didn't find the original carburetor. I was hell-bent on getting the original. Later a few of my moped enthusiasts (Yogesh Acharya) suggested I use an aftermarket carburetor. He clearly said if you find used original, good chances are it won't be in good shape. At max, you will be able to get the Suvega to start, the performance, etc will be bad.

Bhpian Ilango once told me to send the Suvega to Chennai. He will restore it himself and send it back to me. Being a great friend (of course acquainted through Team-bhp) since ~2008, I felt extremely happy by his offer. The transportation was extremely expensive and both of us were not sure if it's prone to damage. Hence, I told him I will look for other means to send to him. However, somehow it just dint fall in place also because of the pandemic and he moved to his hometown for a reasonable period time.

Last edited by funkykar : 27th May 2021 at 13:32.
funkykar is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 16:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!

A little about the Suvega:

Mopeds were extremely popular in 70's and 80's as they were inexpensive and very easy on the pocket. Those were the times there was no rush, very little traffic and quite relaxed of times.

Mopeds India Limited was the company that manufactured and sold the Suvega Mopeds. The engine displacement was about 50cc. They were produced in collaboration with Motobecane of France. All the manufacturing was happening in a plant in Tirupathi. Its first model was sold in India, not sure of the name but is referred to by a lot of enthusiasts as France model. The last of their models was this Deluxe.

Couple of brochures I had saved on my computer(credit to whoever had posted):
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-104169338_3217820578312091_3239479768995716841_n.jpg

1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-104493119_3217820701645412_8227333867464684769_n.jpg

One of the movie songs I noticed Suvega used in a Kannada movie named Bell Bottom. I happened to see it after purchasing the Suvega. Around 04:30 onwards

Last edited by funkykar : 23rd May 2021 at 18:53.
funkykar is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 18:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

2020 - The Pandemic

After a long lull period came 2020. The Pandemic. During the anxious and frustrating times, I got the idea of getting the Suvega started with the carburetor I had sourced. Over the months, I had identified a new mechanic named Raju near my home. The shop I buy spares for my host of scooters, referred me to a nearby mechanic for Suvega. The shop had a good lot of parts which were sold to someone a year ago. My bad. The shop owner referred me to Raju and told me he is my best bet. No one else can repair it anywhere else. He also warned me that Raju is erratic in coming to the garage and suddenly for many days he won't come without any communication etc. When I asked them how reliable his work was, they said no worries about that. Even the moped will be safe in the garage while his juniors working at the garage also respect him a lot and any customer vehicle is safely kept even if Raju is not there. I was relieved and decided to go with him. Quickly met up with him and discussed. Although he repaired Luna's recently and does all the modern vehicles, it had been a while since he worked on a Suvega. He in the past has worked on 10's of Suvegas. He told me to get the vehicle and he will install the new carburetor and get it started. He was actually keen and excited. At this point, I was thinking the earlier mechanic had done everything and only the carburetor was an issue. Little did I know it will turn out to be a very good mechanical restoration .

I then spoke to Arun about the plan. He was very glad that the Suvega will get a new lease of life. By now, I had already parted my Innova. Hence, I borrowed my friend Gypsy to get the Suvega to my home and eventually take it to the mechanic.

Arun had safely stored the Suvega
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-h-safely-parked-aruns.jpeg

Seeing light of day after long time
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-h-seeing-sunlight-after-over-year.jpeg

Arun was kind enough to get it cleaned
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-h-arun-got-cleaned.jpeg

Nice n clean!
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-h-after-cleaning-2.jpeg

Ready to be taken to my home
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-h-suve-gypsy.jpeg

After it rested at my home for few days. Before I took it to the mechanic, clicked these 2 pics for later comparison purposes.

The Suvega in front of my home.
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-0-home.jpg

Me on the Suvega
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-0-homeme.jpg

Raju - The chief mechanic henceforth

I finally took the Suvega to the mechanic. I pushed it to the garage. Over 10 people asked it if was for sale or scrap Once I reached the garage, I was relieved as I was drawing too much attention. Spoke to Raju and he had a good look at the Suvega. I could see the happiness in his eyes. He was quite surprised to see such a clean and stock Suvega. He says the last he saw such was probably in the early 90s. Most of them he repaired some 5-6 years back were in poor condition and several parts changed etc. I knew the mechanic would do justice to this Suvega. I insisted he work on the vehicle only under my presence and he duly agreed. Since he was working on something else he asked me to come post-lunch that day.

Pics when I left the moped at the garage:

Raju checking if engine rotating
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-1-raju-chking-engine-if-rotating.jpg

Front tyre and rusty rim
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-1-rusty-rim-old-tyre.jpg

Rear tyre and rim
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-1-rear-rim-n-tyre.jpg

Suvega parked at make shift parking
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-1-makeshift-place-before-he-checks.jpg

Last edited by funkykar : 23rd May 2021 at 21:00.
funkykar is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 21:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

A surprise awaited me

I went back to the garage in the evening and was shocked!! To my dismay, there was no engine on the Suvega . Raju also was missing. To find out why he removed the engine, I called him several times him and he wouldn't pick. Others in the garage had no idea as they are not involved with the Suvega. They said he has gone out and don't know when he will be back. I left home and got a hold of him only the next day. He then said, he couldn't control himself and couldn't wait for me to come and opened up the engine as soon as he becomes free the previous day. He gave the excuse that he did not have my phone number. I asked him why he opened the engine while the only carburetor was to be put in newly. He said he wasn't happy with the work done by the previous mechanic and he wanted to see how things are. Then he showed me the crankshaft and needs to be reset. I was happy to know work is progressing and he knows his stuff.

The Crank
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-0-crank.jpg

Said it needs reset
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-0-crank-bent.jpg

HE showing me the crank:

The never-ending delay

He said he will get the reset done at the lathe and get back in a day or two. Things got delayed from here on. Over a week, no updates. Even Raju wouldn't come regularly to the garage. He would hardly pick the phone. I got very frustrated not knowing what to do. Just a consolation that the moped was pretty safe at the garage. I did not know which lathe shop he had given the crank for reset. After a week, I took things to myself and visited the known lathe shops in our area to trace the shop. I had a gut feeling about a particular shop. I happen to know them a bit as my scooter mechanic used to visit this place and some of my scooters have visited here for works. I went and enquired, the owner quickly came to me and started conversing. Oh, this Suvega crank we received is yours he exclaimed! He was happy too and said the last he worked on this was over a couple of decades ago. He said they were unable to get the pin, one other part. Due to Covid restrictions in some parts of the city, he wasn't able to go and see if it's available. He then asked me if I can arrange for Connecting Rod half hit. I enquired with a lot of people to no avail. All the dealers of classic parts did not have it and at best they offered a used crank, but wouldn't give any guarantee. Moreover, the prices they quoted were exorbitant. This went on for over a month. Then I re-checked with a dealer who gave me several spares in past. He then asked me what the problem is. Then he said, just get the crank and leave it with him and he will get it overhauled. HE sounded very promising. Hence I gave him the crank. In a weeks time, he got it overhauled and was in perfect shape

The refreshed crank
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-r1-ref-crank.jpg

Refreshed crank
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-r2-ref-crank.jpg

The refreshed crank
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-r3-ref-crank.jpg

Here is the carburetor that I had sourced. Raju checked and confirmed beforehand it can be made compatible.
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-carb-1.jpg

Compatible for most mopeds they say
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-carb-3.jpg

The Carburetor
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-carb0.jpg

Last edited by funkykar : 25th May 2021 at 13:33.
funkykar is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 23:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Engine and bore assembly

A day later, owing to a lot of office work, I could visit only in the evening. By then Raju had already started to assemble the engine.

Here are some pics of the assembled engine:

Raju assembling the bore
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-es0.jpg

Work in progress
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-es1.jpg

Work in progress
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-es3.jpg

Work in progress
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-es4.jpg

Completion in hyperlapse

Temporarily kept in bucket full of other spares
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-e-0.jpg

Now Raju proceeded to fit the engine back, set the wiring, and then fix all the other mechanicals for making the moped run.

The silensor
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-d-silensor.jpg

This is the new cab to be fitted
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-f-new-cartb.jpg

Work in progress
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-f-engine-being-fitted.jpg

Work in progress
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-f-fir-engine-back.jpg

The engine
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-f-engine.jpg

After carb is fitted
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-f-carb-fitted.jpg

Its now ready
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-f-its-now-ready.jpg

Engine fitted to moped in hyperlapse

The silensor being fitted

The carburetor being fitted

Engine after being mounted, Raju started working on the rear wheel to change the sprocket, chain and clean the drum and shoes.

The wheel is off
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-t-wheel-off.jpg

Working on the rear wheel
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-t-working-rear-wheel.jpg

New sprocket
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-t-new-sprocket.jpg

Cleaning rear brake shoe
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-t-rear-brake-shoes.jpg

Refitting the rear wheel
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-t-refit-rear-wheel.jpg

The new chain was not suitable. Retained old one
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-t-new-chain-not-suiting.jpg

Oiling the chain after fitting the wheel

Last edited by funkykar : 23rd May 2021 at 21:03.
funkykar is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 23:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Cleaning Fuel Tank

Meanwhile, I got the petrol tank cleaned at a nearby water wash center. It had a fine coat of rust accumulated over 2.5 decades. The petrol tap also was found not to be working and Raju repaired it.

The tank removed
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-y-tank.jpg

Without tank. One can see how clean and original the moped is
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-y-without-tank.jpg

Round 1 - Very satisfying to see the muck come out

Round 2 - Petrol Tank being cleaned at water wash

Raju pouring petrol
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-y-pouring-petrol.jpg

Tap was found not to work, later Raju repaired it

Time to start her for first time in decades

Then finally came that moment to try and fire her up after easily 25+ years, if not more. I was very nervy and Raju was very excited and curious. It has been over 2 years since I got this machine and spent a very long time scouring for parts and whatnot.

As the tap was not working, he injected the fuel using a small hole made in a bottle. This is how fuel injection systems were invented

Then Raju tried to fire her up. The process failed:

The moment of truth

He checked few things, adjusted few things and tried again.

Music to my ears . One of the happiest moments in one of the most challenging Covid times.

Raju fine-tuning the carburetor:

I already started thinking ahead in time and was worried about the tube and tires, the condition of the rims etc. The chain, the sprocket, and many parts would need refreshing. Here are the parts I arranged parallelly:
  • Clutch and clutch bell
  • Chain
  • Sprocket
  • Cables
  • New aftermarket Carburettor
  • bulbs
  • New tubes
  • New tires
  • Belt
  • Accelerator Slide
  • Off Slide
  • Brake shoes

Last edited by funkykar : 25th May 2021 at 13:34.
funkykar is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 15:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Lets buff/chrome

With me feeling relieved that the Moped is capable to run, I wanted to make it look better. Since it was on company paint and in good shape, repainting was out of the window. I took the decision to buff all aluminium parts, re-chrome the rest of the parts, and install new tubes and tires. The age-old tires were good for nothing. Before Raju could continue any further, I instructed him to remove all the parts that need to be buffed and chromed. In a couple of hours, all the necessary parts were removed and handed over to me. Around the same time, I was also restoring a 68 Vespa 150 which had some components to be buffed and chromed too. I took all of it along and dropped it at a shop that does this work.

The components needing rechrome/buffing
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-t-components-neededing-rechrome.jpg

The components at the shop
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-t-needing-rechrome-rebiff.jpg

Frustrating delay

Once I left the components for buffing and chroming, there was a downpour and the entire facility that does this work was flooded with 3 feet of water. Luckily none of the parts got missed/damaged. They took a while to get operational. Then came some riots in Bangalore and this entire area was under section 144 and got delayed by few more days. After a very long wait period, the components were ready:

Received it after chrome/buffing
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-t-after-rechrome-n-rebuff.jpg

New spokes, tubes, and tires needed to be fit. I took it to one experienced guy who has been doing just this for many decades. I myself have been his customer since 2001 when I first visited him to install a Yezdi rim on my 2001 RX Yamaha 135 (I undid that and made it stock last month).

1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-t-new-spokes.jpg

Rim being fit
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-t-rim-being-fitted.jpg

Work in progress
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-t-rim-being-readied.jpg

Work in progress. Magical hand these!

Ready wheel
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-t-after-tyre-tubed-fitted.jpg

Ready wheel
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-t-ready-wheel.jpg

Meanwhile, I got the rear shock absorbers serviced at a shop near Navrang.

Ready for final assembly

With the buffed parts, re-chromed parts, and ready wheels, it was time to take the moped back to Raju. It was the business end of the restoration. I was nervously excited. Once again, it took 2 weeks to get hold of Raju. It was a frustrating wait. I literally had to beg for him to come to the garage . Then it all fell in place once he started coming regularly. The assembly of all the components, let the pictures and videos do the talking.

Raju inspecting the zinc plated items
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-e-raju-inspecting-zinc-plated-items.jpg

Getting ready for assembly
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-e-getting-started-assembl.jpg

Some spares
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-e-some-spares.jpg

The frame - ready for fitment
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-e-wheels-ready-fi.jpg

Rear wheel fitting and adjustment

Rear shocks and wheel fit
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-e-rear-wheel-shocks-place.jpg

Cleaning the front
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-e-cleaning-front-before-wheel-install.jpg

Front almost ready
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-e-front-almost-ready.jpg

Except handle rest ready
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-e-except-handle-rest-ready.jpg

The original speedo and original reading
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-e-speedo-original-read.jpg

Handle being fit
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-e-handle-fitment.jpg

Handle being fit

Components on handle being fitted
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-e-components-handle-being-fitted.jpg

Components on handle being fitted

Cable work in progress

Cabling

Front looks so much better after chrome and buffing works
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-e-front-looks-so-much-better-after-rechrome-work.jpg

Electrical work in progress
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-e-electrical-checks.jpg

Work in progress on points
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-e-wip-points.jpg

First pic after assembly
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-e-1st-pic-while-just-abt-ready.jpg

First pic after assembly

I let Raju do the trial. Up to now, I still have not rode the Suvega

Just before delivery
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-e-just-before-delivery.jpg

Just before delivery
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-e-just-bfore-delivery.jpg

HAPPY HAPPY FINALLY HAPPY

With great satisfaction, I rode the moped happily home. It has come out so well that I did not have to visit the garage for any follow-up works. Its been close to 8 months now and runs beautifully. Of course, I don't use the moped and get it to the roads occasionally for a joy ride. This for me has been the most satisfying experience and I cherish every moment of this. All this, yes, luck by chance!

Last edited by funkykar : 23rd May 2021 at 20:57.
funkykar is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 18:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Let's get it under the lens

A week later, I and my close buddy Chethan rode the Suvega to Vidhana Soudha and Windsor Manor bridge to create some memories. This has been a norm with any and every vehicle of mine

In front of my home after restoration
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-w-front-home-after-restoration.jpg

My dot was very excited but disappointed she cant ride along like in a Scooter
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-w-fron-home-risha.jpg

The rear
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-w-front-home-rear-fiew.jpg

In front of my home, side pose
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-w-front-home-side.jpg

High Court as background
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-w-high-court.jpg

Vidhana Soudha, the pride of Bangalore
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-w-vs-pride-blr.jpg

Vidhana Soudha, from the side
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-w-vs-side.jpg

Thats yours truly
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-w-me-front-vs.jpg

Chethan, fondly called as Gaddappa with Suvega
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-w-chethan-front-vs.jpg

Just a pose
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-w-just-pose.jpg

Just the handle
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-w-wm-handle.jpg

Side view at Windsor Manor
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-w-wm-side.jpg

At Windsor Manor
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-w-wm1.jpg

At Windsor Manor
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-w-wm2.jpg

Me riding the Suvega at a good speed while Chethan sitting at the rear filmed this video. I just love this video.

Credits
  • Bhpian Arun1100 - First and foremost I got the Suvega only by his reference. Various times in the last 3 years, he kept reminding me I have Suvega and needs to be restored. It was a great motivation
  • Venkatesh from GB automobiles, commercial street - Was helped by a few parts
  • Pradeep, near Mavalli, Bangalore - Most parts he sourced for me including the critical crucial crank reset and connecting rod kit. Greatly indebted to him
  • Fahim - Though things dint fall in place, he tried his best
  • Bhpian Ilango - Greatly inspired me and guided me on a few occasions and also connected me with few people who helped with several things in this restoration.
  • Yogesh Acharya, Pune - Ilango's friend. He gave me a lot of tips and he convinced me to use an aftermarket carburetor which fired the restoration.
  • Shreeram Parulekar, Pune - Helped me with some components related to shocks.
  • Narendran, Vintage Spare Parts Online - Helped me with several parts including tires and tubes. An extremely honest and nice gentleman. Again was Ilango's reference long ago.
  • Prasad from Srinivasa Automobiles, link road, Bangalore - He is the person who referred me to mechanic Raju. Extremely grateful for him.
  • Raju, the chief mechanic - He did everything and the sole reason the Suvega got a new lease of life. Words cant thank all his great work. He was extremely patient and gentle. Did not do any trial and error nor any jugaads. He had to redo several works many times and did it patiently. Even though the last Suvega he had worked on was over a decade ago, he still managed to pull it off. 100/100 to Raju.

Yours Truly,
Karthik Makam

Last edited by funkykar : 23rd May 2021 at 21:07.
funkykar is offline   (79) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 14:06   #9
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Beautiful thread once again Karthik! I'm guessing a Suvega in 2021 might be drawing a lot of attention on Bangalore roads! Nicely restored. Congrats.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th May 2021 at 14:19.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 14:46   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Hearty congratulations on this wonderful piece of restoration of our indigenous auto legacy of yore. I am not a 2-wheeler buff but I can sense the love and joy pouring out from your writings. All the best. May you preserve this moped till your little one can ride it. :-)

Back in the 1970s and 1980s the moped was a very real & affordable alternative available off the shelf versus the years long wait for the Bajaj products.

PS: do you intend to paint it new or you prefer this original look.
V.Narayan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 15:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

This Suvega brings back lots and loads of memory to me along with tears in my eyes.

My uncle used to ride this moped with me in front when I was 1-2 years old back in 1971-72. I used to ask for Parry's peppermint chocolate whenever he used to take me out.

When I was in high school, My father used to ride this moped to temple where he was priest. (5-6 kms away from home). Whenever someone offered kadubu garland to God, I used to carry the kadubus from home to temple by walk.

Once kadubus are handed over to dad, I used to come back home by riding this moped. This was the only motivation for me to walk for 5-6 kms.

When I was in 2nd PUC, I had to walk to college every day from home. There were days when lab used to get over by 5pm. On those days my dad used to give me chance to take the moped to college. Those were the happiest moments of life. Reaching home within 8-10 mins by moped as compared to 1 hour of walk is a feeling that I never get today even while driving fortuner.

The tank capacity was 1.5 litres. To fill that tank to brim, we used to struggle for 5-6 days sometimes.

Recapitulation of those memories make me think poverty is the best teacher to learn life's greatest lessons.

About vehicle, my father's moped that I used to ride, I could overtake even TVS Champs on road with ease. But after reaching home, there was a permanent issue of petrol leakage. The balance petrol in the tank used to get leaked and I used to get beating for rash driving.

Finally, we sold that moped to a dump yard in 1988 and my father got a good amount of 800 Rupees.
gkveda is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 22:34   #12
BHPian

Congratulations on your latest acquisition. Restoring a classic is never easy. While time, money and effort involved is substantial, patience is of paramount importance and generally immeasurable. Your patience very Rahul Dravid like is what I can safely say
Emvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 11:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Yet another great thread, Karthik. A very different moped this time - Suvega!
Frankly, I wasn't aware of the Suvega before we saw this one. In the garage when I first saw this Suvega, what awestruck me was the originality. Original paint with all stickers intact along with all cosmetics like meter, pedals, fuel tank caps, mirror, lights. At first, I thought we can atleast pedal and use it even if the engine is not in usable condition! Close to a year with me at home, I ensured this Suvega was safe and didn't allow a bit to deteriorate. Glad that you could revive it back to its former glory days. While I have seen this Suvega personally post the restoration, I am yet to ride it!!
Like the Vespa thread,this thread is so well documented which will surely help other Suvega owners. Congratulations!!

Here is another original Suvega from Bangalore. All original and under good care. Owned by a FB friend - Jaisimha Besadi. He says, its a 1974 model, bought in 2006 from a ex-military servicemen who had purchased from military allotment.

One of the unique feature of Suvega are the Up Side Down (USD) forks!!
1980 Suvega - Luck by chance!-fb_img_1622526961690.jpg

Last edited by arun1100 : 1st June 2021 at 11:34.
arun1100 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 12:01   #14
srh
BHPian

Wonderful. It takes real effort and motivation to pull through something like this. You are also lucky to be able to find the 'artists' like Raju.
srh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 09:15   #15
BHPian

Superb thread Karthik.

I am a lover of 1990-2000 cars & bikes, esp because of their higher Mechanical parts & very less Electronic parts.

As an enthusiast, we can easily acknowledge what's wrong in the car/bike, without taking it to a dealer. I found my humble 2002 Zen giving that pride to me, but it is not now with me.

After this thread, I am really inclined towards a Suvega. Let me see whether i can buy one from my native.
Fiestaboy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks