Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2021, 12:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Italdesign patents seatbelt system for 2-wheelers

Italdesign could soon introduce a new safety tech for motorcycle and scooter riders. The company is said to have patented a smart seatbelt system that will protect the rider in case of an accident.

Italdesign patents seatbelt system for 2-wheelers-italdesign2wheelerseatbelt2.jpeg

According to media reports, the smart seatbelt system will be able to recognise the type of accident and react accordingly, minimising possible injuries.

Italdesign patents seatbelt system for 2-wheelers-italdesignseatbeltpatent.jpg

Riders would be required to secure themselves to a rigid backplate with a 6-point harness. This is further attached to the two-wheeler (motorcycle or scooter) with a quick-release mechanism, controlled by an onboard computer.

Italdesign patents seatbelt system for 2-wheelers-italdesign2wheelerseatbelt3.jpeg

In case of an accident, the smart system would be able to recognise the best response - either release the rider or keep them attached to the vehicle, ensuring the best protection.

The smart seatbelt system is also said to allow a certain degree of movement for the rider. However, probably not enough freedom to lean of the motorcycle while going around twisties.

Source: Visordown

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 16:01   #2
BHPian

Re: Italdesign patents seatbelt system for 2-wheelers

Smart indeed and could prove to reduce fatal injuries for regular bike riders...Looking at the images, it does look like the material is of high quality and heavy. Now a days we see lot of delivery boys roam around with big bags strapped in their shoulders. IMHO System like this would not be helpful in such situations and may cause fatigue as the movement is severely limited.
niceguisuku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 10:26   #3
BHPian

I would rather risk bearing the effects of an accident with ATAG rather than being tied to the bike. Personally I feel its better to get thrown out of the accident zone many a times.
And for those times when its not, I dont think a seat belt can avoid a truck going over me and my bike.
It would be difficult for me to trust the computer to make decisions on possible accident scenarios, I did rather rely on my instincts and reactions as there is no cage like in a car to protect me.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 12:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

What next ? Adding two more wheels on a bike to make it safe ? I wonder how people can put their money and energy into developing these kind of ideas ! In this age of knee jerk adoptions of whatever insane road rules, I do hope no government anywhere in the world picks this up !

Riding a two wheeler always has its risks over a four wheeler. It is well known and the rules of physics are in play here. In case of 2 wheelers it is always better to get away rather than be trapped around the bike. Some of those superbikes are a like a furnace between the legs. Imagine being trapped with that or the bike on top of you !

Last edited by TrackDay : 30th May 2021 at 12:23.
TrackDay is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 14:26   #5
BHPian

Seems like an absolutely terrible idea to me. Being thrown clear of your bike is in most cases far safer than being tied to it and dragged along or run over IMO. Just asking for trouble IMO.
RT13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 09:23   #6
BHPian

I hope this fades into oblivion. The sooner the better. The way I look at it, it is nothing but a safety hazard.

In this case, what is good for the goose, is not good for the gander.
In a four wheeler, you are already protected by the cabin with it's roll over bars, crumple zones and what not. There, seat belts provide an additional protection. Here it is just a bad bad idea.

On a two wheeler I would rather be thrown off the bike. Then, if possible I can curl up and roll to absorb the momentum and reduce injury. With these belts, I would be a sitting duck.

Once I collided with a lorry which merged out of the blue on a rural highway. I was thrown off the bike and was saved by the helmet. The bike on the other hand ended up with a bent front suspension and a crooked handle. Imagine if I was strapped to the bike with this contraption.
Another incident where I was riding pillion on a Luna with my friend who still had a learner's licence. He misjudged the tilt on a turn and we toppled over. I still have the burn scar on my leg to remind of the silencer which was pressing on my leg. Again imagine this happening with the contraption engaged. Or knee caught between the road and a hot engine. Or worse, the bike catching fire.

None of these thoughts invoke joy. Like I said the sooner it fades into oblivion, the better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks