Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2021, 14:51   #1
BHPian

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership

Quick History: This is what I had intended to Purchase : 350 Classic Green
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership-2007_rec.jpg

Fast-Forward: Finally Ended up buying this 2020, Meteor 350 Supernova Silver CS.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership-img20201211wa0009.jpg

Quick-Events:
1. Booking : 09-11-2020, tentative delivery 29-11-2020, smooth
2. PDI at dealer stock : 1-Dec-2020, very smooth
3. Vehicle Delivery : 11-12-2020, Ok stuff
Happy Moment, Felt elated on the achievement. Proud Owners!!!!
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership-img20201211wa0010.jpg

Right after delivery, filled up 5 ltr petrol ensuring there is enough for an Airport drive to pick my Brother. All Smiles!!!
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership-img20201211wa0008.jpg

12-12-2020 – Customary Pooja
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership-img20201212103725.jpg

As usual, I thought it must be a technical glitch, went and notified the service guys immediately.

ASC-Rep: Turns the handle-bar left-right twice, switch-on, switch-off twice. Takes a ride and then says, “Just some loose connections, now it is corrected”. I checked and it was now showing proper level.
The issue seems to still be there as I came to know after reaching home. But still I was not willing to take my bike back to service due to so many RE-Service bad experiences shared on the net.

15-12-2020 – First ASC visit
Drove couple of outings and could not bear the fact that there is indeed an issue with the fuel indicator. Again, I took the bike to ASC. This time I got hold of the sales-rep and asked him to check. He took the vehicle inside. I waited for an hour, then he came back.

ASC-Rep: There seems to be issue with the Fuel level sensor, for addressing this, we need to dismantle the Tank and then check, it might take 1 or 2 days, so we will do it during the first service, till then you can drive.
I was happy guy that they at least acknowledged the issue.

29-12-2020 – Long trip-1 – Coimbatore – Kotagiri – Ooty – Coimbatore, with Wife

Name:  ride1.png
Views: 10021
Size:  210.7 KB

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership-img_5226.jpg
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership-img_5235.jpg

4-01-2021: First Service (Day of reality), as I had driven my 500kms within 1 month.
While giving for service, I highlighted the issue that was already mentioned and was noted on the Job Card.

ASC-Rep: There is no stock as of now for replacing the Fuel level indicator, once we get it, we will let you know.
Me: When will I know, or tentative days
ASC-Rep: 2 weeks.

2 Weeks gone, no updates. I give a call, first time the Support staff picks and says they will update in 30 mins. 30 mins gone, 1 hr gone, no callback. I call again, did not pick. I was experiencing first-hand of RE-Service, I thought.

18-01-2021 – Complaint on twitter handle
I raise a request on Twitter Handle (@royalenfield) with details of my vehicle and then the issue faced. I received a call from IT team to understand and verify the nature of issue and was informed that respective team will get in touch with me.

19-01-2021 – Job card raised
Complaint registered. I get an SMS of the complaint details.

The RE Service Manager gives me a call and asked me about the history of my notice to ASC Reps. I clearly explained the events.

I receive an SMS registering a Job-Card with due date as 26-01-2021. I was told to bring vehicle when part arrives to ASC.
Name:  JC_FuelInd.png
Views: 9762
Size:  36.3 KB

24-01-2021 – Long Trip-2 – Coimbatore – Kodumudi – perunthurai – Coimbatore along with pillion (Wife).
This time wanted to ride on Highway, while returning took the NH road from Perunthurai.
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership-ride2.png

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership-img_5264.jpg

The Ever beautiful – Winding village roads
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership-img_5271.jpg
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership-img_5277.jpg

28-01-2021 – Discussion with ASC Service Manager & Regional Manager.

ASC Manager: We have diagnosed the issue with the standard procedures that have been laid by RE Testing procedures and we don’t see any issue, all the data are showing everything is working fine.

Me: If everything is working fine then why is the indicator is showing empty fuel?

ASC Manager: We will check again and get back. We have to get approval from our Regional Manager to replace the part as we don’t see any anomaly in the testing.

ASC Regional Manager & Service Line manager comes on call to say the same thing what the service manager informed me. I ask the same question, if your instruments are working fine, then why is the level displaying empty.

ASC Regional Manager: Lets replace the part and observe how it goes.

29-01-2021: Vehicle delivered, again.

I was told that the faulty part was replaced and to observe the vehicle for 3 or 4 days. If there is any further issue, then to notify again. Happy man, I was, took home the vehicle.

30-01-2021: Got a call requesting to close the Job Card, I agreed. Had no option, to stop it.

Everything is history now : The fuel level indicator issue resolved, and I was a very happy man.

01-02-2021: Thanked the Twitter handle for addressing my issue.
03-02-2021: Brought some sweets and snacks to the ASC Service Manager & Team and thanked them.

Happy Ride begins, again!!

06-02-2021 - Long-Trip-3: Coimbatore-Pollachi-Nemmara-Nelliampathy-Coimbatore - SOLO

Name:  ride3.png
Views: 9482
Size:  176.6 KB

Meenkara Dam - Deserted
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership-img_5343.jpg
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership-img_5341.jpg

The beautiful Greens of Nemmara
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership-img_5353.jpg

Hairpin starts right after Pothundi Dam
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership-img_5384.jpg

AVT Tea Estates
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership-img_5409.jpg

The Summit
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership-img_5411.jpg

The ever important 1000KMS
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership-img_5442.jpg

21-02-2021 - Long-Trip-4: Coimbatore-Kochi-Coimbatore - SOLO
Name:  ride4.png
Views: 9160
Size:  178.9 KB

The Open National Highway
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership-img_5507.jpg

Break for Chaya & Veg Puff
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership-img_5512.jpg

The Parting shot during return
Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership-img_5516.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5411.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	2161799

More rides to come after lockdown is down!! Hope you liked my first post!!

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd June 2021 at 08:06.
silverstreakcbe is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 19:54   #2
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstreakcbe View Post
ASC Manager: We have diagnosed the issue with the standard procedures that have been laid by RE Testing procedures and we don’t see any issue, all the data are showing everything is working fine.

Me: If everything is working fine then why is the indicator is showing empty fuel?

ASC Manager: We will check again and get back.
This is pretty hilarious that they chose to completey ignore the fuel gauge indicator showing an empty tank but gave more importance to their internal testing procedures and test results of the fuel gauge test .

My Himalayan has an issue too; if the fuel gauge is near empty and i fill in 6 litres or so - the fuel gauge doesnt move up at all. Fill in 12-13 litres and it goes to the almost maximum position which is where it should be. So why 50 percent of the input doesnt increase 50 percent on the fuel gauge but a 100 percent of the input increases 100 percent on the fuel gauge is something i haven't been able to figure out even after almost 8000 kilometers

Last edited by Aditya : 31st May 2021 at 05:49. Reason: Quote tags fixed
rahul4321 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 10:04   #3
BHPian

re: Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of ownership

Quote:
Break for Chaya & Veg Puff
Attachment 2161803
This spot is near our home . My brother owns a meteor and I found it much better than older REs, particularly the reduction in vibration and refinement of engine.
maheshm619 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 10:53   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
My Himalayan has an issue too
Incorrect / Fluctuating Fuel indication is a niggle in the 650 twins too. There seems to be an issue with the fuel gauges in RE bikes. RE engineers should be paying attention to this aspect.
Zen Av8r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 12:34   #5
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of owner

Thanks for sharing your experience with new Meteor.

Can you help me with following two points:
1. How comfortable your wife (being a pillion) felt during those long rides?
2. How much KMPL you got on those highway runs?
DriveOnceMore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 13:11   #6
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Meteor 350 faulty fuel indicator | Happy ending & happy rides in 6 months of owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience with new Meteor.

Can you help me with following two points:
1. How comfortable your wife (being a pillion) felt during those long rides?
2. How much KMPL you got on those highway runs?
1. In the two rides that she accompanied, Not really comfortable. Space is not enough and the cushion area is not that much. She felt the back-rest is too stiff, small and could have placed bit farther as it is eating out the space which already is little. She felt absolutely fine for rides around 25-50 Kms or 1 Hour maximum. However, just want to highlight, this is the first time ever she is riding on bike for long distances. May be getting used to or toning physic can change the views.

2. Over the highway:

> 90 KMPH : 30-33 KMPL
70 - 80KMPH - 35-38 KMPL

Hope this helps.
silverstreakcbe is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 13:28   #7
BHPian

For me, bike needs to go well with our physique.
In that regards, you & your bike are apt fit i would say.

When I was around 20, I bought RX135 (pre-worshipped) in my native & i weigh 55kg with 5.7".
My father used to be 6ft & 100+ kg, always wear Dhoti & drove Bullet all along his life up until 2015. (From my guess he drove at least 25/30+years in his bullet & unfortunately i don't have a photo to share).
A bullet + well built guy with a Dhoti is a bliss to watch according to me.

Though I tried to replicate that Mojo by taking his bike (a dream for every child, right?), I was always humiliated by my friends or relatives because of my physique.

One more reason i started not driving his bike is that Bullet & RX135 shared direct opposite gear pattern.
For Bullet back then, you need to pull up for 1st & press down the lever for 2rd, 3rd & 4th. For RX 135, its direct opposite, 1st down & all others up. So if we drive both the vehicles, at times instead of downshift you will upshift & vice versa based on bikes.
Added to this, major complication is that Brakes & Gears are in direct opposite sides for Bullet & RX135. So, instead of gear you might press Brakes as well & vice versa & think about the end result.

End result, it reduces my confidence in driving every time & think of driving these gems without confidence. Hence, at some point of time, I fully avoided taking my father's Bullet.
Fiestaboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 13:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
1. In the two rides that she accompanied, Not really comfortable. Space is not enough and the cushion area is not that much. She felt the back-rest is too stiff, small and could have placed bit farther as it is eating out the space which already is little. She felt absolutely fine for rides around 25-50 Kms or 1 Hour maximum. However, just want to highlight, this is the first time ever she is riding on bike for long distances. May be getting used to or toning physic can change the views.
Thanks for the quick reply.
I wonder why almost all CRUISERs available today in India is having the same problem i.e. smaller / stiffer rear seat.
Aren't cruiser supposed to be a 'long - tourer' vehicle?
Hope you were comfortable throughout the rides.
Old 1st June 2021, 14:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestaboy View Post
For me, bike needs to go well with our physique.
In that regards, you & your bike are apt fit i would say.
Thanks for the compliment . Yes, i too very skeptical if i would ever fit. When i saw, the vehicle looked huge. I took the test-drive along with pillion. The torque on first two gears, ability to handle on slow-speeds and the smooth feel sealed it.
Old 1st June 2021, 14:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.
I wonder why almost all CRUISERs available today in India is having the same problem i.e. smaller / stiffer rear seat.
Aren't cruiser supposed to be a 'long - tourer' vehicle?
Hope you were comfortable throughout the rides.
Yes, i was very much in comfort during all my trips. The only occasion i felt bit uncomfortable was the cement road stretch between Coimbatore - Pollachi. Was bit bumpy which gave me a bit of ache, but otherwise it has been a smooth ride all along.
silverstreakcbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 14:49   #11
BANNED

Quote:
My Himalayan has an issue too; if the fuel gauge is near empty and i fill in 6 litres or so - the fuel gauge doesnt move up at all.
I've not taken a Himalayan apart but practically speaking the float is either part of the Fuel Pump unit or a separate unit. Either way, depending on the position where it is fixed the readings would vary as the tank is shaped like a curly 'W' and your float sits at either of the downward facing curves or the upward facing curve in the middle.

Now as for the float itself, as the name says it is just a Float at the end of a lever(which is a flimsy metal rod) hooked up to a potentiometer.

So simply putting 1 and 1 together, don't expect much from your fuel gauge and it simply isn't even worth the effort being bothered by it unless it isn't working at all i.e Empty reading even with the Tank Filled Up.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 18:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
This is pretty hilarious that they chose to completey ignore the fuel gauge indicator showing an empty tank but gave more importance to their internal testing procedures and test results of the fuel gauge test .

My Himalayan has an issue too; if the fuel gauge is near empty and i fill in 6 litres or so - the fuel gauge doesnt move up at all. Fill in 12-13 litres and it goes to the almost maximum position which is where it should be. So why 50 percent of the input doesnt increase 50 percent on the fuel gauge but a 100 percent of the input increases 100 percent on the fuel gauge is something i haven't been able to figure out even after almost 8000 kilometers
Congratulations to the OP. Really happy that you are enjoying your new ride. Especially since you have done some lovely long trips.

Yet the quoted issue is one of the reasons why it is hilarious when the top honcho claims RE is on par with the Japs and German bikes. Their QC, attention to detail, et al leaves much to be desired. How difficult is it to engineer a fully functioning Fuel Gauge? RE makes some desirable and good looking bikes at excellent price points. That's just about it. And less said about the ASC who stated that their instruments conclude that there is no issue with the Fuel Gauge despite it not functioning is unbelievable. Inspire of all these hassles, RE owners are really passionate about their rides, which is admirable. If only RE company is half as passionate as the owners, the ownership would have been enviable.

On a personal note, I was contemplating getting a Meteor instead of the CB350, and had weighed in towards the Meteor. Yet some of these small but significant issues that come built-in with th RE bikes are deal-breakers.
snappysam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 00:00   #13
BHPian

Congratulations on the beauty and condolences on the service. Welcome to Royal Enfield Ecosystem. Faulty fuel level indicator is a common issue in Meteor 350. Happy that you have resolved it. I am assuming from your travel pictures that you must be having fun with the perfect balance of that design.

Thanks for sharing. Mine will be coming soon.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 09:45   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappysam View Post
On a personal note, I was contemplating getting a Meteor instead of the CB350, and had weighed in towards the Meteor. Yet some of these small but significant issues that come built-in with th RE bikes are deal-breakers.
Thanks for your compliment. Yes, going for Meteor is a good choice and i am happy to have made it. I will be attaching a DAR excel sheet at the end of my post that can help others to take their decision.
silverstreakcbe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 09:58   #15
BHPian

Hello friends, attaching my DAR sheet that i created to decide my the bike for me. Since, now, i am done with my decision, i hope this will help others also a bit in decision.

Things to do on sheet:

1. Column - B; List out all the specs that you feel is important to make the decision.
2. Column - C; List out the weightage (how important it is for you to make the decision) out of 10, that you feel to make your decision.
3. For every bike, there is "Rating", "Score" and "Bike name". You have to enter the "Rating" for each bike based on your feeling as to how much does it meets your requirement. The "score" is automatically calculated.

Finally the "Score" under "Rankings" will depict the outcome. All said, finally, its your decision that will matter as to what your need is, this will facilitate with some numbers to make the decision.

Hope this will help, do let me know what you think.

BTW - DAR means Decision Analysis Report (A sheet that we use in Software world to Analyze technologies)

Bike_DAR.xlsx

Most Viewed