Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2021, 18:42   #1
BHPian

Pure EPluto 7G Electric Scooter | Ownership Review | EDIT: 8 Months and 1,364 km later

With petrol prices soaring sky high, the switch to EV was imminent.

Pros :
  • 120km range
  • Maneuverability
  • Inhouse battery
  • Removable battery
  • Charger fits in boot

Cons :
  • No boot space
  • Seat could've been longer
  • Suspension
  • Quality of switches
  • Headlight
  • No smart features/navigation

The Search :
Was using a TVS Jupiter since 2014, it served me well without throwing any major issues. Wanted to switch last year but had to postpone due to covid, this meant I had a lot of time to research about existing brands.

Ampere :
Was looking at the Zeal EX but the charging time was 5-6hrs for a range of ~90km; also many users complained about the service and non-availability of spare parts.

Ather :
Way over budget.

TVS, Bajaj :
Not yet launched in Mumbai.

Hero, Okinawa :
Poor after sales, customers kept waiting for 3-6 months due to non-availability of spare parts.

Pure :
Overall very positive ownership reviews, spares available, battery R&D inhouse and affordable rates.

The Conclusion :
Battery is the soul of any EV, and Pure has been very transparent and vocal about their batteries. Electric scooters make perfect sense for city commutes as the range is sufficient and the price difference between electric vehicles and petrol scooters is almost negligible. Was initially confused between ETrance Neo and EPluto 7G but went with EPluto 7G for retro look.

Some theoretical calculations (Worst case for EV) [8000kms per year] :
Name:  puretbhp.PNG
Views: 9121
Size:  18.2 KB

Booked the EPluto 7G on 20th March 2021 at RC Automobiles, Borivali.

Delivery :
Took the delivery on 15th June 2021, there was a huge delay due to 2nd covid wave. There was some issue with DC converter because of moisture, they replaced it free of cost on the spot. Not very confidence inspiring, but the owner was very transparent regarding what caused the issue and what is being replaced.
They used the blower to remove all the moisture from switches and sprayed on WD-40.

Pure EPluto 7G Electric Scooter | Ownership Review | EDIT: 8 Months and 1,364 km later-1626592375505-1.jpg

Pure EPluto 7G Electric Scooter | Ownership Review | EDIT: 8 Months and 1,364 km later-img20210615wa0008.jpg

Last edited by Venky03 : 3rd August 2021 at 11:01.
Venky03 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 13:23   #2
BHPian

Main Review

Exteriors :

Pure EPluto 7G Electric Scooter | Ownership Review | EDIT: 8 Months and 1,364 km later-1623761793046-1.jpg

Most of the people will think that this is a Vespa, the same body is being used by many other EV brands and is even available in generic markets.
I opted for "Matte Black" option as it looked very classy and is easier to maintain. They've added in chrome elements here and there, with subtle Pure badging.
The seat is softer than what you get with standard ICE scooters, also it is not adequate for riding with a pillion. I personally don't like the flashy front alloys, will get them painted to black sometime later, the front wheels have disc brakes with decent bite while the rear wheels come with drum brakes which is suitable for braking slowly, the company also claims that it has eABS but I've not tested it yet.
The guards provided by the dealer are of decent quality, they fit snugly and don't make any funny noises while moving.

They've added in a small compartment in the front for keeping your smartphones/wallet or other small things, I use it for keeping the microfiber cloth; there are no rubber gaskets used anywhere. It would've been great if they included a 12v/5v port inside the front compartment for charging smartphones :

Pure EPluto 7G Electric Scooter | Ownership Review | EDIT: 8 Months and 1,364 km later-1627969769659.jpg

Boot :

The boot is occupied by the battery and there's a very small amount of usable space on offer, here's how it looks without the charger :

Pure EPluto 7G Electric Scooter | Ownership Review | EDIT: 8 Months and 1,364 km later-1627970464874.jpg

With charger :

Pure EPluto 7G Electric Scooter | Ownership Review | EDIT: 8 Months and 1,364 km later-1627970464832.jpg

Ride Quality :

This has been very fun to ride, the pickup is instantaneous and you don't have to worry about the noise causing any disturbance. There is a small whine from the motor which is pleasant to hear. The suspension is on a softer side when compared with my Jupiter but you will feel the irregularities on the road due to smaller wheel size. The rear rubber bushes started making squeaking noises after ~100kms but oiling them fixed the issue :

Pure EPluto 7G Electric Scooter | Ownership Review | EDIT: 8 Months and 1,364 km later-susp.jpg

Electronics and Battery :

Pure EPluto 7G Electric Scooter | Ownership Review | EDIT: 8 Months and 1,364 km later-1627972042642.jpg

The electronics are fairly simple as there are no smart features, but the only issue I faced was with the indicator switch. During heavy rains it simply refused to work as intended and just made beeping sound, spraying on some electrical maintenance spray fixed it but the beeping issue is still present. I hope they replace the switches with some good quality replacements in future. The headlight led is powerful but the reflector setup doesn't do proper justice, feels inadequate during night rides. Horn is fairly loud and enough for city commute. They have included an anti-theft lock which will lock the rear wheel in place and make noise if it senses any movement without unlocking. There are 3 modes for the powertrain eco, city and sport; 120kms range on eco with top speed of 35kmph, 110kms range on city mode with top speed of 45kmph and 90kms range on sport mode with top speed of 60kmph. I got an average range of ~90kms with 25% charge left on city mode so the range is excellent.

I never drained the battery below 25% so can't report the 0-100% charge time, but it takes approximately 3hrs to full charge from ~25%. The battery is a 60V 2.5KWh pack which will consume nearly 3 units for full charge. Regen works well but the battery level system needs a massive overhaul, 75% of your range is displayed with first 3 bars and rest 25% is displayed with last 3 bars.

Pure EPluto 7G Electric Scooter | Ownership Review | EDIT: 8 Months and 1,364 km later-batterylev.jpeg

Charging setup :

Pure EPluto 7G Electric Scooter | Ownership Review | EDIT: 8 Months and 1,364 km later-charg.jpg

PURE :

Summing up my initial experience with Pure, the attitude of my local dealer was very friendly and confidence inspiring which is very essential for a new brand. There is a lot of scope for improvement from Pure, but this is a decent first generation of products from them considering that they got the two main things : motor and battery sorted. The one thing they need to work on urgently is the battery level indicator which has been very inaccurate and is a very essential parameter to consider while planning trips.

Last edited by Venky03 : 3rd August 2021 at 13:11.
Venky03 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 13:05   #3
BHPian

First Service

Nothing major in the first free service, they ask for any issues that you faced during 1 month of usage and fix it. Oiling on moving components and tightening of loose bolts is also a part of their routine servicing. They're planning for doorstep servicing with additional fees in coming time as informed by the dealer.

Pure EPluto 7G Electric Scooter | Ownership Review | EDIT: 8 Months and 1,364 km later-serv.jpg

Pure EPluto 7G Electric Scooter | Ownership Review | EDIT: 8 Months and 1,364 km later-1627975834991.jpg
Venky03 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 05:37   #4
Team-BHP Support

re: Pure EPluto 7G Electric Scooter | Ownership Review | EDIT: 8 Months and 1,364 km later

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 08:45   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Pure EPluto 7G Electric Scooter | Ownership Review | EDIT: 8 Months and 1,364 km later

Congratulations, @Venky03, on a bold purchase relevant with the current times. A customer centric service point focusing on solving minor irritants quickly for free more than makes up for quality issues in the product. A few observations :

1. Service in the first year is free - that is nice
2. Rubber bushes squeaking in 100kms isn't good; plus oil should never be used to lubricate bushes. Please use a non-reactive lube like say Wuerth rubber spray
3. The issue of moisture affecting electrical and electronic components has to be addressed, since it directly puts a Q mark on reliability. We have tons of fuel injected (and electronics rich) vehicles plying on roads already with little to no issues.
4. The maintenance schedule shows no recommended "R" except the rear brake shoes. Time will tell how true this is
5. I'm surprised that there is a need for spare parts on Hero and Okinawa so soon

I don't know if they have provided some protection for the LCD panel, but I'd strongly recommend some toughening if it is feasible.

I think even with EVs, it is a wait and watch game, like how one must never pick up a desi car in the first year of launch. Beta testing is now being done with customers, I guess.

I am keen to go in for an electric scooter next, although I have no complaints with my 2013 Suzuki Access barring an issue with its carb's air screw (which was damaged by a useless technician). But again, am playing the wait and watch game.

Last edited by vigsom : 4th August 2021 at 08:57. Reason: added some text
vigsom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 10:06   #6
BHPian

Interesting purchase, I for one had never heard of this brand.

What is the real world charge you get in peak and non peak conditions?
Old 4th August 2021, 17:16   #7
BHPian

Congrats!

However, isn't this completely lifted of the Vespa Primavera 125 which was launched in 2014?
Trapezio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 18:59   #8
BHPian

Congrats on your electric scooter. Unlike so many cat-on-the-wall analytics / keyboard warriors either complaining about electric mobility or waiting for market to offer the unicorn product at unicorn prices, I sincerely appreciate your switch to electric mobility. Wish you safe and sound kms. +1 for Vigsom's sharp observations.

Keep us posted about the vehicle and pls do update this thread as and when you see fit.

Cheers,
Karthik
carthick1000 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 19:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations

(In fact, I too have shortlisted this scooter, but dropped the idea only because it has no boot space (under seat) which is a must for me).
nairrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 19:56   #10
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase. Hope you have a niggle free ownership for years to come.

Will be keenly following up on this thread as I too would be required to replace my activa in coupe of years. Eager to go the EV route but only time will tell how they perform but I do hope that they perform well as that is the need of the time.
sunbaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 20:29   #11

My cousin has bought this vehicle few months ago. He has already covered 5000kms and living in Malanad region has varied landscapes to cover.Even I have driven it for few kms and found it to be okay. Seems to be a reliable workhorse with fairly good quality if not extraordinary. We tried different settings for rear shocks as it was bit soft for riding with little bounciness. Anyway good package for the price paid. Battery holds good charge even in cold conditions prevalent here during rainy seasons.
Enviroclan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 20:54   #12
BHPian

Congrats on the bold move towards electric. I've ridden a friend's e Pluto and it's pretty good for grocery runs and rides within 10-15 km one way. Torque is good even with doubles and the price is reasonable between 60-80k. Wish you trouble free miles with the Pluto.

As you mentioned the other electric scooter players except Ather have been sub par. Don't know how Ola will turn out to be but I'll enjoy my IC vehicles till the end of this decade
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 08:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
5. I'm surprised that there is a need for spare parts on Hero and Okinawa so soon

I don't know if they have provided some protection for the LCD panel, but I'd strongly recommend some toughening if it is feasible.
Thank you!
Some parts like converter and controller may fail early on due to bad QC, also most of the other brands are completely unaware about issues with batteries; the only solution they offer is replace not repair.
I'm unaware about the protection for LCD panel, will check with the dealer and update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Interesting purchase, I for one had never heard of this brand.

What is the real world charge you get in peak and non peak conditions?
The best range I got was in eco mode and my average speed was anywhere between 20-30kmph: 101kms with ~25% charge left
The worst was in sports mode and my average speed was ~50kmph for most of the time(highway run) with headlights on: 74kms with ~15% charge left
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Congrats!

However, isn't this completely lifted of the Vespa Primavera 125 which was launched in 2014?
Thank you!
Yes, and there are other brands using the same chassis as well :
Pure EPluto 7G Electric Scooter | Ownership Review | EDIT: 8 Months and 1,364 km later-tunwal.png
Credits: Tunwal Website

Pure EPluto 7G Electric Scooter | Ownership Review | EDIT: 8 Months and 1,364 km later-tnr.jpg
Credits: TNR Website

And lastly the Vespa Elettrica:
Pure EPluto 7G Electric Scooter | Ownership Review | EDIT: 8 Months and 1,364 km later-vespaelettrica_2019_1280x548.jpg
Credits: vrmaritime

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Congratulations

(In fact, I too have shortlisted this scooter, but dropped the idea only because it has no boot space (under seat) which is a must for me).
Thank you!
Yes, the boot space is a let down; but I used it mostly for keeping my helmet, so was not a deal breaker for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithin23 View Post
Congrats on the bold move towards electric. I've ridden a friend's e Pluto and it's pretty good for grocery runs and rides within 10-15 km one way. Torque is good even with doubles and the price is reasonable between 60-80k. Wish you trouble free miles with the Pluto.

As you mentioned the other electric scooter players except Ather have been sub par. Don't know how Ola will turn out to be but I'll enjoy my IC vehicles till the end of this decade
Thank you!
A bit concerned about their no dealership model, for now it's just wait and watch.
Pure is now gearing towards a new launch :
Pure EPluto 7G Electric Scooter | Ownership Review | EDIT: 8 Months and 1,364 km later-1628131990060.jpg
Seems promising, my friends loved the design.
Venky03 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 09:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venky03 View Post
Thank you!
Yes, and there are other brands using the same chassis as well:
You are welcome! Enjoy your ride!

I am however stunned by these guys. It is not just the chassis; it is panel to panel lift off from one of the most iconic two-wheeler designs!

This shouldn't detract you from your ride. Enjoy the ownership and please keep us posted.
Trapezio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 00:52   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venky03 View Post
Thank you!

Pure is now gearing towards a new launch :
Attachment 2188639
Seems promising, my friends loved the design.
Congratulations on your switch to Pure ride!

Your ride looks sweet in that matte black shade and is a much better iteration than most other Vespa-esque options in the market. And the real life range seems to be pretty close to what the company claims.

Wishing you many happy and safe miles ahead!

The bike's battery pack is like a computer cabinet fixed onto the usual engine mount. Almost a literal "Intel Inside" moment.

But the wheels look way too thin to take the abuse our roads or imposters of roads might throw at them. Even coming from a well established manufacturer, like Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha, I'd be sceptical of such flimsy spokes/support beams in the rims.
FloatingCanvas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks