Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2021, 20:15   #1
BHPian

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0200.jpg

As far as I can remember I have always loved Cafe Racers. Many years ago if someone had given me a blank cheque and told me I could buy any motorcycle I fancied, I would have picked up the Triumph Thruxton RS. I still remember being very excited when Royal Enfield decided to launch the Continental GT(535). I rarely take test rides of motorcycles but I headed straight to the showroom and test rode it, somehow even though I loved the looks I could not get over the fact it the engine was under-powered.
Fastforward a few more years and the moment RE launched the 650 twins I booked an Ice Queen Continental GT 650 online. But for some reason the day I was supposed to get my bike I got cold feet and backed out. I ended up buying a touring ADV and that turned out to be a good thing as pillion comfort is very important if I wanted to go on long rides.
In 2020 we had gone to Goa and after a couple of lovely brews in the Royal Enfield Cafe we popped into the showroom and the Mrs immediately pre approved the Continental GT.

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-16.jpg

Very few bikes have that place of honor in her book (Triumph Speed Twin, Triumph Tiger, RE Himalayan, Continental GT) and there are two brands that have her automatic rejection (Any KTM, Any Kawasaki)..Dont ask me why!
Post that it took me almost a year to make up my mind if I should buy the bike or not. No thanks to our resident RE Continental guru (Neil.Jericho). Every conversation would end up with "When are you booking your RE650". Eventually RE launched the MiY app with a non refundable booking and I decided to "throw my hat over the fence" and go ahead with the booking. That too almost ended with me cancelling and getting my refund but I am grateful to Mr Tamilselvan at Acclaim Motors for ensuring I rode out with this beauty. I had posted what had transpired in this thread https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5044753 (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin).

This by no means is going to be a detailed review of the Continental GT 650 as there are many threads out there especially
CrAzY dRiVeR's https://https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/204505-ridden-royal-enfield-interceptor-650-continental-gt-650-twin.html#post4507322 (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin). This is currently the "go to" thread for anything related to the twins as all owners have been collectively updating it.
KarthikK's https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4866800
Though after going through a lot of forums (domestic and international), I have come to the conclusion, almost no two RE twins are the same. The level of customization is insane and everyone has or is in the process of making their bike truly their own. So I would like to take a leaf out of Neil sirs book and create a thread for my bike.
First the reason(s) for my choice apart for the fact I love Cafe racers. I needed a bike that I could use both locally and for spirited highway runs and having just completed a couple of track days, something that could be used on the track. My first choice was a Yamaha R15 V3, however at the back of my mind I knew it would end up being a one trick pony, would be brilliant on a race track but I am pretty sure would have been tiring on the highway. I briefly thought of the Husqvarana Vitpilen but the Mrs "No KTM" policy came into effect. I did not consider a Ninja 300 because I did not want another "exotic" service experience and again the Mrs "No Kawasaki" rule came into effect. Though, had the Ninja 400 still been on sale it might have been a different story altogether. TVS teased an updated Apache 310 but that topic died out, I was looking forward to that release. I do not have the temperament required to buy a used motorcycle so I quickly backed out of that option.
Some of the reasons I love about the bike (straight out of the shop floor)
  1. The looks: RE has stuck true to the Retro classic blueprint
  2. The engine: Enough power for both city and highway use
  3. Handling: It feels so easy and nimble to ride

Somethings I don't feel very comfortable about
  1. The weight:I am on a weight reduction mission(on the bike)
  2. Front wheel tram-lining: This gets me everytime and its very disconcerting, I know lot of people recommend tightening the coneset, change tyres etc but I have strong suspicion its the steering geometry and 18"rims. I honestly dont think both Pirelli and CEAT tyres can have the same defect
  3. The tyres: I have done ~3000 kms on bone dry and fully wet highway roads and have had no cause for alarm but at the back of my mind I always have this fear that it can never match the Metzlers and Pirellis.
  4. Tubed Tyres: Come on, in this day and age!! Spoked rims should have been an optional extra in my opinion.
  5. Riding geometry: Though the bike looks like a cafe racer the riding position is not committed enough. The clipons are upswept and the foot pegs can be a wee bit more rearset. I opened up the clipons to drop them down but in the stock position there is a locking tab that keeps it in place and its held by only one screw. If I drop it down I lose the locking tab and almost all reputed aftermarket clipons have two locking screws to keep the handles from moving around the the fork.
  6. Rider footpegs: I hate them! The rubber has zero grip and even if full dry conditions when leaned over the sole of my boot slips away, you dont have to be leaned over in the wet! Even under heavy braking my foot slips

On to the things I have done to make it mine.
The bike came with a touring seat as stock, so the only OE accessories I opted for were the bar end mirrors and sump guard. RE hasnt enabled the dealers to place orders for the new color scheme accessories so waiting for the rear seat cowl.
Current orientation of the bar end mirrors. I have always wondered if I should change the orientation to hang below the bars. When taking corners if I look at the outside rearview it points to the sky and that view is of no good. I have seen a lot of bikes with the mirrors below the bars, I have a feeling that might help.
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0193.jpg

The first thing I wanted to do was to make sure the engine could breathe freely. Scouring through multiple websites and forums I came across a few common terms.
  1. Free flowing air filter
  2. Air filter cover delete kit
  3. Booster plug
  4. Air Injection delete kit
Now this is where it gets interesting. The airfilter and cover delete kit were pretty straight forward special thanks to BHPIAN Captain Slow's brilliant idea of just cutting the plastic of the stock cover to maintain an airtight seal around the airfilter.
In goes a DNA airfilter with a local air filter cover delete kit. The duct tape is because I could see the seal between filter and housing was not air tight. The next time I clean the filter Ill buy another stock cover and cut it.
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-20210424_114059.jpg

Booster plug: The official blurb states that only when opening the throttle the sensor cheats the ECU into thinking the intake air temperature is colder than it really is , again this depends on where you place the sensor for obvious reasons if you place it near the engine or exhaust it would be reading the hot temperature as the ambient reading. So placed an order on hitchcock's website and now its sitting in customs. Whats worse is after placing the order I find this stated on the booster plug website https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/cms...wer_bikes.html. In short what it says is , if your model has a 2021 ECU and you fit any device (Powercommander etc..) to "cheat" the ECU it would throw errors galore when you plug in a diagnostic tool so they no longer make these plugs for 2021 models. I am afraid to check the model number on my ECU but nevertheless once I get delivery I will still install it. If I get any check engine light errors, that plug goes into my Dad's Classic 500!

Now for the "Air Injection delete kit". As per RE, to meet regulatory norms there is a snorkel that is attached to the cylinder head that redirects waste gases to be burnt again via a tube that goes below the fuel tank. I almost placed the order for the delete kit (consists of a blanking plate and a sensor plug) when I took a look at my 2021 bike.

From CD's initial post on the thread (pic courtesy:CD). You can see the snorkel header but I dont see any tubing (could be the angle)
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-img_5951_li.jpg

And on my motorcycle, There is a brilliantly camouflaged blanking plate already! I asked around in international forums and was told European and Australian 2021 models come with the snorkel. I took a peek at my neighbors pre BSVI engine and it didnt have the snorkel but I havent asked him which year model his vehicle is. Im glad I didnt spend some pounds on something I wouldnt be able to use. But Im still curious why some models have it and some dont.
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-20210625_202407_li.jpg

Once I get the booster plug installed my intake mods comes to an end.

Now for the Exhaust
I had my eye on the Zard slipons, they are an Italian brand a bit pricey but looks almost OE and to the untrained eye (traffic cops) it looks stock. However my experience with their Indian importer was not very pleasant, very condescending,so I decided to look elsewhere. Neil.Jericho to the rescue! He pulled some strings and managed to get me S&S slip-ons at a very very competitive price, thanks buddy!

I am NOT looking for any performance(bhp) gains but I am on a weight saving mission. The fact that it sounds brilliant is a happy by-product and I havent even tried it without the baffles. Though on the downside it takes a super human effort to keep the revs below 3000 and not rev match within city limits!
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-20210717_084210.jpg
The only other exhaust mod I would ever consider would be free flow headers but not anytime soon.

The other must have item on a motorcycle with sporty intentions are tank pads. Its a must have for both leaning over when cornering and hard braking. I had a set of tech spec pads but during the lockdown boredom got the better of my common sense and fully knowing I cant cut a straight line with a pair of scissors I proceed to make a hash of the job. So while I am ashamed of the results, functionally they are simply superb. These pads are not cheap (at least for me) so I dont have the heart to take them off. I have some more remaining so will take it to a proper sticker shop and ask if they can make it look presentable.

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0221.jpg
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0187.jpg

I know a lot of people have been saying the suspension desperately needs an upgrade but honestly I have not yet felt the need, maybe on the track it would reveal its shortcomings so one of the these days will find out. Though there are a couple of things I ABSOLUTELY MUST correct.

These are useless with zero lateral grip and extremely slippery when wet. I asked a couple of RE service centers if the GT535 pegs are compatible and they said no. Ill still search. The other option is a set of expensive rear sets from Thailand but I honestly dont have the money for that yet.

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-20210629_113557.jpg

My biggest gripe with the bike right now is that front wheel tram-lining or headshake or call it whatever you want. It could either be the suspension or the steering geometry but its very scary. I tried asking a couple of establishments if they made steering dampers for the REs but they replied in the negative.

You do NOT buy a cafe racer and talk of luggage but I do use the bike for intercity runs and hate carrying things on my person (wallets, phone and water bag included) so got a couple of smashing retro looking leather bags from Tripmachine, they look the part and are functional as well.

This is the mini pannier and just fits a water bag and sunglasses.

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0219.jpg

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0220.jpg

This is the messenger bag and has a bit more carrying capacity water bag, sunglasses, wallet, phone and room for a bit more.

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0263.jpg

They do not claim to be water proof but weather resistant. I had the misfortune of getting caught out in some rain during my last highway run and water managed to seep in. Not from the rain but from the constant spray from the rear shock and tyre. They do have an option of longer straps shipped with the product and I have a feeling had I carried those I could have placed it on the rear seat. But again I normally dont ride in the rain so this could be the last time it ever gets exposed to it. But I am not overtly thrilled about both bags sitting against the rear shock.

Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-20210718_095700.jpg

In keeping with the retro theme I picked these up from RE and I really love the fit and finish, will use these for city rides.
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-20210713_171417.jpg
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-20210713_171333.jpg

But really disappointed with RE for not selling helmets in my head size "S" because I really dig this helmet
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-screenshot_20210715210744_chrome.jpg

These are just early days of ownership with the second lockdown having put a stop to most of the riding season
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0255.jpg
and now that monsoons have kicked I will take a break from riding, but I do intend to update this thread with as much detail as I can.
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-20210718_095729.jpg

Last edited by deepfreak15 : 19th July 2021 at 06:33.
deepfreak15 is offline   (71) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 11:09   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Motorcycle section. Thanks for sharing!

Will go to our homepage tomorrow .
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 14:29   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations once again, on your Rocker Red Continental GT 650, deepfreak15. Though Im not the biggest fan of some of the new colours that we launched, Royal Enfield has absolutely nailed it, with this red. Right now, this is probably the best paint scheme fo the GT 650. Those go faster white stripes do compliment the paint job very well.

I know that you will take this to the track sooner rather than later and the inevitable modifications to make this a track beast, will be something to closely follow. I foresee
- Suspension mods
- Carbon fiber parts for weight reduction
- Alloys and super sticky 17 inch tires
- Free flow headers
- single seat
... and a lot more!
neil.jericho is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 16:27   #4
BHPian

Congratulations on the Continental GT! Your bike looks just amazing!
Just one question, does the free flow S&S exhaust and the air filter help in any way? And what is the capacity of the Trip Machine saddle bag. They do look pretty though! But my only concern is how they would handle the Mumbai monsoons.
BikeDevil44 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2021, 17:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Now this is where it gets interesting. The airfilter and cover delete kit were pretty straight forward special thanks to BHPIAN Captain Slow's brilliant idea of just cutting the plastic of the stock cover to maintain an airtight seal around the airfilter.
You don't have to cut anything, just pull the center part of the stock cover, it separates and can be press fitted back. I don't have pics handy to share!

Quote:
Now for the "Air Injection delete kit". As per RE, to meet regulatory norms there is a snorkel that is attached to the cylinder head that redirects waste gases to be burnt again via a tube that goes below the fuel tank. I almost placed the order for the delete kit (consists of a blanking plate and a sensor plug) when I took a look at my 2021 bike.

And on my motorcycle, There is a brilliantly camouflaged blanking plate already! I asked around in international forums and was told European and Australian 2021 models come with the snorkel. I took a peek at my neighbors pre BSVI engine and it didnt have the snorkel but I havent asked him which year model his vehicle is. Im glad I didnt spend some pounds on something I wouldnt be able to use. But Im still curious why some models have it and some dont.
This is interesting, what does professor Neil has to say about it?

Quote:
So while I am ashamed of the results, functionally they are simply superb. These pads are not cheap (at least for me) so I dont have the heart to take them off. I have some more remaining so will take it to a proper sticker shop and ask if they can make it look presentable.
You 'Royally' screwed this up! Another effect of PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome)

Quote:
These are useless with zero lateral grip and extremely slippery when wet.
You can try the Motocaan peg covers available at BikenBiker. It's on my wishlist but as INT650's pegs are forward biased, I'm a bit worried if this would be shin friendly!

Quote:
My biggest gripe with the bike right now is that front wheel tram-lining or headshake or call it whatever you want. It could either be the suspension or the steering geometry but its very scary. I tried asking a couple of establishments if they made steering dampers for the REs but they replied in the negative.
Help us understand this better? You're not talking about the infamous wobbling, right!

Quote:
In keeping with the retro theme I picked these up from RE and I really love the fit and finish, will use these for city rides.

But really disappointed with RE for not selling helmets in my head size "S" because I really dig this helmet
Why not in Red? Don't go by the size chart, try their M, it might fit you!

What's your take on the handle grips? Off late I've started to dislike them and ordered the Grip puppies, yet to put them on! Trip machine is another option.

Wish you many happy miles on the 'Retro Red Rocket'

Cheers,
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 19th July 2021 at 17:49.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 08:50   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow! The bike looks awesome and you look so happy on that bike. Heartiest Congratulations Deepak!

And as always, some great photographs too! I am sure we will get to see many more awesome photos from you with this bike soon. Wish you many happy miles on this bike. And looking forward to seeing this in person in one of the future meets. Looks like instead of our long pending Blue and Red photoshoot, we might end up having a Red and Red photoshoot first.

Quote:
As far as I can remember I have always loved Cafe Racers.
As a novice in bikes, your reviews are a good learning material for me. For example, I did not even know what "Care Racers" means. I had to check with our good friend KarthikK and he explained to me the meaning and the historical context of this term. Very interesting concept!

Thank you for putting together this review which is both nice to read and also educative for bike novices like me.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 20th July 2021 at 08:54.
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 09:24   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Deepak, Thoughtful mods and that red color just looks smashing, well i am a sucker for anything red. Need to take a leaf from your mods and Karthik's interceptor thread.

Wish you thousands of kms of safe riding, and let's catch up soon for a ride.
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 09:32   #8
BHPian

Congratulations on the bike! Looks smashing and suits you.

I personally think the spoked wheels lend so much character to the bike. To my eyes, would look a completely different bike without spoked wheels. To each his own anyways!

Great choice on the gloves. Been looking at these myself along with Klim rambler tan gloves, but those ( Klim, size MD ) don't seem to be in stock in any store on the internet.
sandeep.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 09:34   #9
BHPian

Congratulations on the GT Sir! A few months after I had got mine in DrMayhem , I was punching the air when I saw the Rocker Red. I mean who doesn't fancy a red motorcycle? But I'm really happy with mine now. Wishing you a very happy journey with the motorcycle!
SNOWY227 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 11:00   #10
BHPian

Congratulations on the racing red, looks absolutely stunning in the new paint scheme.

Yes, the spokes and tube tires setup is a real pain, esp during long rides. Have been stranded similarly in another RE motorcycle (Himalayan) like that.

In addition, do check out the Reck Kit from Autologue design, looks good and fits perfect for retro cafe racers - https://www.instagram.com/p/CRgq5JGA..._web_copy_link

I think there are few members out there who have this kit. Here is another link from MK customs - https://www.instagram.com/p/CRNyhtFM..._web_copy_link

Also, look at the alloy options which can bring a whole lot of carefree experience while riding your motorcycle. He has Mahindra Mojo alloys setup on his 650, here is the link - https://www.instagram.com/p/CQ3Xj84g..._web_copy_link

Wishing you happy miles!
EshanS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 12:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Will go to our homepage tomorrow .
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Though Im not the biggest fan of some of the new colours that we launched...
I always suspected there was a vested interest, this just proved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I foresee
... and a lot more!
You sir stay away. Only yesterday the Mrs asked why I spent a bomb on a piece of wire from UK. I tried to save myself by stating I know someone who ordered a set of nuts and bolts too and showed her. I dont think that worked, I guess she holds us both in the same regard now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeDevil44 View Post
Your bike looks just amazing!
Just one question, does the free flow S&S exhaust and the air filter help in any way?
Thank you very much! There is a considerable weight savings with the slipons however its way down low (below the center of gravity) that you wont notice it that much. The air filter helps the bike breathe better and the exhaust pushes gases out with a little less restriction than stock so there will be a difference but very difficult to gauge performance gains with just your butt (need to dyno it) . Though the exhaust note has become really crisp and yeah you will be grinning like a madman inside your helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeDevil44 View Post
And what is the capacity of the Trip Machine saddle bag. They do look pretty though! But my only concern is how they would handle the Mumbai monsoons.
The bags are indeed classy and functional but no, absolutely no to Mumbai monsoons.

Alongside my decathlon water bag (forgot the capacity but I think its 2l or 5l)
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-20210720_093702.jpg

There is a lot of room with the bag in
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-20210720_093744.jpg

Note the compartment to keep your phone or cards etc
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-20210720_093822.jpg

Though it looks like there is a ton of space you have to factor in the roll at the top.
Ownership log of my Rocker Red Continental GT 650. EDIT: Sold!-20210720_093915.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
You don't have to cut anything, just pull the center part of the stock cover, it separates and can be press fitted back.
Awesome, will take a close look at my stock cover

Quote:
You 'Royally' screwed this up! Another effect of PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome)
Guilty as charged.

Quote:
You can try the Motocaan peg covers available at
Unfortunately wont suit my purpose, I need to be able to ride on the balls of my feet and also be able to hook my heel on it for support when leaned over.

Quote:
Help us understand this better? You're not talking about the infamous wobbling, right!
The very same indeed!

Quote:
Why not in Red? Don't go by the size chart, try their M, it might fit you!

What's your take on the handle grips? Off late I've started to dislike them and ordered the Grip puppies, yet to put them on! Trip machine is another option.
I did try and was ok with red too but M is too large. I have a small head (maybe thats why I spend too much on motorcycles!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Wow! The bike looks awesome and you look so happy on that bike. .
Thank you very much for your kind words. I cant wait for us to catch up , though before that I have to fix that ugly tank pad otherwise your photography skills would be for nothing with that monstrosity. I am pretty sure your car and my bike would look red hot in a single frame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Wish you thousands of kms of safe riding, and let's catch up soon for a ride.
Thank you very much and yeah long overdue! I am going to wait out the monsoons but we do have to catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep.k View Post
I personally think the spoked wheels lend so much character to the bike. To my eyes, would look a completely different bike without spoked wheels. To each his own anyways!
Great choice on the gloves. Been looking at these myself along with
Thank you very much indeed. I agree with you and thats the reason I am not going to change the weak headlight. I want to keep true to the period look. However, as much as I would hate the look of alloys on the bike I need to be able to avoid getting stranded and have good tyre options so most likely will swap the 18" with 17"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOWY227 View Post
Congratulations on the GT Sir! A few months after I had got mine in DrMayhem , I was punching the air when I saw the Rocker Red. I mean who doesn't fancy a red motorcycle? But I'm really happy with mine now. Wishing you a very happy journey with the motorcycle!
Thank you very much indeed. On the website I wasnt too keen on the red colour but one look in the flesh and I had to have it! Congrats on your bike too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EshanS View Post
Congratulations on the racing red, looks absolutely stunning in the new paint scheme.

In addition, do check out the Reck Kit from Autologue design, looks good and fits perfect for retro cafe racers -
Thank you very much. I did consider this but right now I love the clean air I am getting on highway runs so for now will hold off on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EshanS View Post
Also, look at the alloy options which can bring a whole lot of carefree experience while riding your motorcycle. He has Mahindra Mojo alloys setup
Wishing you happy miles!
The alloy conversion is not very straightforward and requires some "Jugaad". I will take a look around in the custom scene and then take a call. I need it to be reliable and without impacting the ABS functionality.
deepfreak15 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 14:01   #12
BHPian

Hi Deepfreak15,

Congratulations on the acquisition of Continental GT650, may I say it looks dashing in that shade of red? Wish you many happy and trouble free miles with her, would love to hear your journey and experiences with her as time passes by.

Regarding the front wheel tramlining or infamous wobble, not sure if this workaround would help you out, but worked fine on my Thunderbird 350, would suggest you to have this checked out nevertheless. Had the same issue in my bike, I replaced my cone set on my bike and such thinking that it would fix it, but it didn't. The mechanic who works on my bike asked me to have the spokes tightened up. Got the spokes tightened up, and the wobble reduced by a great extent. The guy asked me to get it done every 3000 km or so, and said it's a common issue with the RE bikes. Hope this helps. Peace
ss11011988 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 15:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss11011988 View Post
Hi Deepfreak15,

Regarding the front wheel tramlining or infamous wobble, not sure if this workaround would help you out, but worked fine on my Thunderbird 350, would suggest you to have this checked out nevertheless. Had the same issue in my bike, I replaced my cone set on my bike and such thinking that it would fix it, but it didn't. The mechanic who works on my bike asked me to have the spokes tightened up. Got the spokes tightened up, and the wobble reduced by a great extent. The guy asked me to get it done every 3000 km or so, and said it's a common issue with the RE bikes. Hope this helps. Peace
Yet another reason why we need alloys (that are also aesthetically pleasing)! RE, are you listening? (pretty sure they're not, or something else is stopping them from introducing it as an accessory)
Sudarshan42 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 16:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss11011988 View Post
The mechanic who works on my bike asked me to have the spokes tightened up. Got the spokes tightened up, and the wobble reduced by a great extent. The guy asked me to get it done every 3000 km or so, and said it's a common issue with the RE bikes. Hope this helps. Peace
One of the main reasons I changed my spoke wheels to alloys on my two strokes was the periodical truing it required especially when ridden on our road surface. Plus finding a guy who does it correctly is also a challenge.

To check you can just spin the front wheel while the bike is on the main stand and see if there is any noticeable wobble in the rim/tire or vibration on the handle bar when the wheel is spinning.
SnS_12 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 18:00   #15
BHPian

Congrats and nice write up! Red looks the best in the current lineup of GT650. Must say, RE has one of the best lineup of riding gears.

Quote:
Same here, its got the perfect looks and pricing and RE screwed up with no 'S' size. I think the best way is to check the helmet's availability in the showroom and try out the M size.
Torino is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks